PDA

View Full Version : One thing I am a bit surprised about....

Michael82
04-27-2008, 10:08 AM
When Marv was here, he stressed high character and didn't take a single bad character guy except for Anthony Hargrove. Now we have drafted WR James Hardy, who was arrested and had character issues. Sure it was all resolved and he says he is a changed man, but the reason he fell was because of those issues.

Now they drafted Chris Ellis and apparently one of his weaknesses was his character. He was also arrested before and resisted arrest, didn't we already go thru that with Hargrove? :nervous: I'm not complaining about it, I'm just curious. Does character still matter or has it moved down the list a bit, if the guy has enough talent? Personally I don't care. If Hardy overcomes his problems from when he was younger, I love the pick. Same thing with Ellis.

Chris Ellis:

Weaknesses:

Needs to put on some weight...Repertoire of pass rush moves is limited...Instincts are just average..Will have some trouble shedding blocks...Not real powerful..May not be an every down player...Character is a concern...Durability may be an issue.

Notes:

Has torn the labrum in his right shoulder twice...Suspended in 2006 after he was arrested and charged with resisting arrest and obstructing justice...He isn't flashy but you can't argue with the results..Will be a fine pro as long as he stays healthy and keeps his head on straight..Might be a better prospect than Darryl Tapp was.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/de/chrisellis.html

LtFinFan66
04-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Sometimes you just have to go with talent. You guys don't see that fact when anyone else takes these guys but when you do... *POOF*.... the light comes on

Luisito23
04-27-2008, 10:11 AM
We just wanna win Mikey...

Michael82
04-27-2008, 10:14 AM
We just wanna win Mikey...
Good point! :hi5:

Jan Reimers
04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
It seems like the Bills have researched these guys, and interviewed Hardy (not sure about Ellis), and are convinced that they have learned from their mistakes and have turned things around.

Who really knows, though?

LtFinFan66
04-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Good point! :hi5:See, it's a good point when you guys do it.:snicker:

Philagape
04-27-2008, 10:16 AM
It'll be hard to top Hargrove's pepper spray adventure

Michael82
04-27-2008, 10:17 AM
It'll be hard to top Hargrove's pepper spray adventure
:rofl: Yeah, that was fun!

Philagape
You do gotta wonder if we would have taken these guys if Marv was still here

Michael82
You do gotta wonder if we would have taken these guys if Marv was still here
That's what I'm saying and I don't think so.

Luisito23
04-27-2008, 10:18 AM
See, it's a good point when you guys do it.:snicker:

:snicker:...And Mikey...:hi5:

Ingtar33
04-27-2008, 10:23 AM
character helps the team overcome adversity.

our massive over achievement last year was in large part do to the moral fiber of the men Levy brought in last year.

I have to admit I'm not thrilled by the obvious turn away from character this year. I'm worried we'll lose some of our mental toughness and team unity. and start to underachieve.

just one or two cancers in the locker room is all it takes to pull a team apart, when things start to go poorly on the field.

Michael82
04-27-2008, 10:26 AM
character helps the team overcome adversity.

our massive over achievement last year was in large part do to the moral fiber of the men Levy brought in last year.

I have to admit I'm not thrilled by the obvious turn away from character this year. I'm worried we'll lose some of our mental toughness and team unity. and start to underachieve.

just one or two cancers in the locker room is all it takes to pull a team apart, when things start to go poorly on the field.
That's what I'm saying. The turn away from high character guys is very surprising, especially when Marv made it such a priority when he was here. You are also right about last year, they played hard and as a team after the Everett injury and ended up turning a crappy start into a pretty good season.

Romes
04-27-2008, 10:46 AM
This reminds me of the comments that were made about Brad Butler on draft day a few years ago.

Michael82
04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
This reminds me of the comments that were made about Brad Butler on draft day a few years ago.
oh yeah, I remember that one. :ontome:

Bufftp
04-27-2008, 10:49 AM
Character is often more defined by how you react after a big screw up.

Don't Panic
04-27-2008, 10:52 AM
I agree Mikey... definitely a bit concerned about the character issues with our 2nd and 3rd picks. The FO must have felt that much stronger about Hardy than Sweed and Ellis than Avril to go with them, because in my eyes, they are similarly ranked. Definitely risk/reward picks. Time will tell if they were wise choices. The one thing I will say is that the Bills addressed their three biggest needs thus far. Hard to get too picky when that's the case.

Tatonka
04-27-2008, 10:53 AM
you guys act like a teenager never makes a mistake.. i was arrested when i was 17 for buglary and resisting arrest.. i made a huge mistake.. i am 33 now and never was arrested again and consider myself a good person who understands what i did wrong and would never do it again.

people make mistakes.. i think what you learn from them is a lot more important. maybe the bills researched the situations and found that the situations just kids making mistakes and are not worried about them.

with ellis, i know there was drinking involved and he apologized to the school when it happened. frank beamer considers character very highly. he removed vicks brother and most recently, brandon ore, a promising running back, because of character concerns. if ellis was a problem, he would have been gone.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2008, 11:15 AM
Do you have a high motor?

Anyway, I agree.

This character thing is way overblown this year.

Ellis is fine.

All thanks to Pacman and Vick.

Don't Panic
04-27-2008, 11:43 AM
you guys act like a teenager never makes a mistake.. i was arrested when i was 17 for buglary and resisting arrest.. i made a huge mistake.. i am 33 now and never was arrested again and consider myself a good person who understands what i did wrong and would never do it again.

people make mistakes.. i think what you learn from them is a lot more important. maybe the bills researched the situations and found that the situations just kids making mistakes and are not worried about them.

with ellis, i know there was drinking involved and he apologized to the school when it happened. frank beamer considers character very highly. he removed vicks brother and most recently, brandon ore, a promising running back, because of character concerns. if ellis was a problem, he would have been gone.

Point taken. I guess there's just a bit more concern when a guy has some skeletons in his closet. Don't mistake concern for lack of commitment, though. These guys are Bills now and I am their biggest cheerleader.