PDA

View Full Version : kickoff return and "the wedge"

Rebecky
08-25-2002, 10:30 PM
GW said in his press conference that the cause of the long Indy kickoff return was that Indy used a wedge and the Bills ST did not "set correctly" for the wedge.

Could someone explain to me how you do not "set correctly" for the wedge?

Ð
08-25-2002, 10:49 PM
http://www.wedgiegirls.com/images/Cartoons/DemonWedge.jpg

casdhf
08-25-2002, 10:50 PM
:lol:

Sabre Ally
08-25-2002, 10:51 PM
:rofl: You are so bad, BD

Rebecky
08-25-2002, 10:56 PM
In other words, BD, you don't know.

I'm really curious here, guys. I thought the wedge or V was a stock play from high school on up -- how could it have caused such confusion for our ST defense?

Ð
08-26-2002, 12:08 AM
On ST's if they retreat back to below the 20-25 yard line in some sort of wedge or man blocking technique yo gotta take that player on if he runs through your assigned lane, taking him on square using his body. You can't allow the player to choose a side. If this takes place a seam will open for a return, a big return.

Basically, the coverage team has to work together against a wedge, stay in their lanes and take the play to the ball, not allowing the ball to the play. Not rocket science by any means. Usually, you put your craziest bastards on ST's for coverage, but the also have to be disciplined, as soon as the other team sees someone "freelancing" & messing up the lane coverage, they will exploit it over & over again on subsequent coverage plays.

Ð
08-26-2002, 12:10 AM
Just remember, you have a lot of confused rookies not used to the speed that NFL teams have out there...mental errors on ST's are common in preseason

LVGrown
08-26-2002, 12:13 AM
and even more common for the Buffalo Bills through regular season!

Erin

Mr Bill
08-26-2002, 01:02 AM
I have more success returning kicks in Madden when I use a wedge.

Basically you have 6 guys wide, cutting a hole for you. Very effective.