PDA

View Full Version : Miami Dolphins draft

Bling
04-27-2008, 04:01 PM
Anyone notice how good it was? They know where the games are won - on the lines. Merling, Hampton, Long are all going to be sick.

Scumbag College
04-27-2008, 04:03 PM
If they are going to be playing the 3-4, then they did get two vrey good 3-4 DEs. They also drafted Dale Murphy's kid who might be able to start at G for them in a year or two.

chernobylwraiths
There is an NFL section to this site.

The Spaz
Nice picks. I'll let you know how good they are when we play the Dolphins this year.

Bling
04-27-2008, 04:06 PM
Nice picks. I'll let you know how good they are when we play the Dolphins this year.

Same to you, my friend. But you can't be a little worried about the potential. Miami isn't going to be pushovers. Might still be top 10 worst teams without a QB, but if Henne produces and so does Merling and Long, how much better are the Dolphins?

The Spaz
04-27-2008, 04:08 PM
Same to you, my friend. But you can't be a little worried about the potential. Miami isn't going to be pushovers. Might still be top 10 worst teams without a QB, but if Henne produces and so does Merling and Long, how much better are the Dolphins?

They can't go anywhere but up. I think we both improved. Let's hope that both teams knock off the patriots sooner rather than latter.

Devin
04-27-2008, 04:24 PM
I loved the fins draft.

Merling both DB and I had ranked very high, a guy id have not been dissapointed with at 12. That kid has got a lot of potential. Long was the best pick they could have made #1.

Henne was a nice pickup as well.

Parcells and company did thier thing, brought a lot of good line talent in. If either Beck or Henne pan out they did very well for themselves.

feelthepain
04-27-2008, 06:06 PM
I loved the fins draft.

Merling both DB and I had ranked very high, a guy id have not been dissapointed with at 12. That kid has got a lot of potential. Long was the best pick they could have made #1.

Henne was a nice pickup as well.

Parcells and company did thier thing, brought a lot of good line talent in. If either Beck or Henne pan out they did very well for themselver.

I like the first 2 CB's the Bills got, they got a great one with their first and great value with their other. I wasn't thrilled with this class of WR's, so who knows what will happen with them. Still a decent draft for the Bills.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2008, 06:07 PM
Miami did well for themselves, imo.

A good start on the rebuilding. Very good.

DraftBoy
04-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Great Dolphins draft overall, wasn't a fan of the RB out of Toledo they took but its hard to argue with Bill Parcells.

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Anyone notice how good it was? They know where the games are won - on the lines. Merling, Hampton, Long are all going to be sick.

IMO, Ellis will be a better player than Merling. Ellis has more explosiveness to his game and can make plays. Merling is a nice, stay at home DE.

Devin
04-27-2008, 06:30 PM
I disagree. Dont get me wrong I like Ellis and think he will do well.

But Merling I think will end up being a better DE then Harvey.

FlyingDutchman
04-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Personally I think Henne sucks. First two picks were solid though.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
Personally I think Henne sucks. First two picks were solid though.

A lot of teams had him high on their boards, and I doubt he would have made it out of the 2nd round. 4 year starter, the winningest QB in Michigan history. He also played injured most of last year, so he's tough too. Played for a big time school that plays in a big time conference that's seen it's share of talent come and go. Won his Bowl game against a very talented Florida team. Smart, strong armed, It's hard to argue against all of that. Of course that's no guarantee for success in the NFL, but at least he's battle tested against some serious talent. I like the pick, I like the value we got at 57 and I like the fact that Miami has some competition at the QB position going into camp.

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
can't knock their draft. It was a really good one.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2008, 12:41 PM
I'll say by November Beck will be holding the clipboard for Henne.

TigerJ
04-28-2008, 12:43 PM
Merling is going to be a solid DE, but I don't expect him ever to be as good as Jason Taylor in his prime.

BlackMetalNinja
04-28-2008, 12:52 PM
I definitely think Miami did good for themselves... of course picking in the spots they did and with as many picks as they had, it was hard not to. Parcells will definitely help get them turned around and I'm sure they'll improve by several games this year, but I think they'll still be last in the division.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 12:53 PM

I think you're gonna find out real soon why Beck was drafted so high. I think Beck is the smartest QB we have, the hardest working and I don't think there's a player on our team that wants to win more then him. I think Miami has put themselves in a real good position with the addition of Henne to be able to get some great competition out of the QB psoition and at least find a strater that can have success in this league. I think we have a good chance of being a team with a "good problem" at the QB position. I also think the Oline imporvements will make a huge difference no matter who our QB is.

You have to understand what Beck was facing whan he started last year. He had to play the Stellers in Pittsburgh, the Eagles in Philadelphia and the Bills in Buffalo. All three games on the raod all three games in bad weather and all three games without the help of Ronnie Brown or Chris Chambers. The simle fact that he was a rookie was a big enough problem, but add the fact that Miami had so many injuries and the games John had to start his career off with. It's not hard to see why he struggled. Afterall the Dolphins had not even given him the practivce sanps till week 11 cause he had Green and Lemon in front of him.
I'm just telling you what he faced in his first games as a pro.

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Dick can't afford to snooze. I don't think the fins will take long to be competitive.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 12:54 PM
Merling is going to be a solid DE, but I don't expect him ever to be as good as Jason Taylor in his prime.

He's probably going to stand up in Miami.

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 12:55 PM
I think you're gonna find out real soon why Beck was drafted so high. I think Beck is the smartest QB we have, the hardest working and I don't think there's a player on our team that wants to win more then him. I think Miami has put themselves in a real good position with the addition of Henne to be able to get some great competition out of the QB psoition and at least find a strater that can have success in this league. I think we have a good chance of being a team with a "good problem" at the QB position. I also think the Oline imporvements will make a huge difference no matter who our QB is.

You have to understand what Beck was facing whan he started last year. He had to play the Stellers in Pittsburgh, the Eagles in Philadelphia and the Bills in Buffalo. All three games on the raod all three games in bad weather and all three games without the help of Ronnie Brown or Chris Chambers. The simle fact that he was a rookie was a big enough problem, but add the fact that Miami had so many injuries and the games John had to start his career off with. It's not hard to see why he struggled. Afterall the Dolphins had not even given him the practivce sanps till week 11 cause he had Green and Lemon in front of him.
I'm just telling you what he faced in his first games as a pro.

more excuses. Then again, you sound like the Trent fans here with the weather excuse.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 12:55 PM
can't knock their draft. It was a really good one.

Decent post.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2008, 12:58 PM
The Dolphins sure know how to party.

First Ginn with a twist of Lemon and now Henne(ssy).

:boozer:

colin
04-28-2008, 01:00 PM
henne can compete with beck to see who can throw the worst ceptos.

long can fight for biggest bust status after getting lit up twice this year, and merling can be a slow plodding DE watching us run and pass all over him at will.

i like that draft!

The Answer
04-28-2008, 01:01 PM
Got to give the fish credit - this was a very good draft and Parcells track record speaks for itself especially with mid round picks.

Not sure if Long was the #1 overall player in the draft, but as long as he don't end up being another Mike Williams he will anchor the Fishs line for years to come. Henne is easily a better QB than Beck and has the upper hand in the QB battle since he's Parcells guy. Merling was a steal as well.

Way too early to tell who had the better draft, but I won't be a homer and say the Bills draft was better at this point, if anything we are even but we'll see in a few years. Seems Walterfootball was a bit harsh with some of the picks:

http://walterfootball.com/offseason2008mia.php

Miami Dolphins (Last Year: 1-15)

2008 NFL Draft Picks:

1. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
I don't like this pick. I don't think Jake Long can be a great left tackle in the NFL. He'll be a great run blocker, but as far as pass protection is concerned, he'll need a lot of work. I just don't see him making the impact Joe Thomas made for the Browns last year. (Pick Grade: C)

32. Phillip Merling, DE, Clemson
Steal. There's no reason Phillip Merling should have made it past 21. When the Dolphins took him, I forgot he was still on the board. (Pick Grade: A)

57. Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
I don't like Chad Henne - he's way too inconsistent - but I thought he was good value at 57. He can't be any worse than John Beck, right? (Pick Grade: C)

66. Kendall Langford, DE, Hampton
Mike Maylock loves this pick, and so do I. Kendall Langford's probably the best five-technique available. (Pick Grade: A)

110. Shawn Murphy, G, Utah State
Nice. A seventh-round prospect in the fourth. Good job, Tuna. At least it's a position of need. (Pick Grade: D)

176. Jalen Parmele, RB, Toledo
I think I had this pick in my mock prior to the Akin Ayodele trade that saw Miami surrender its sixth-round pick. The Dolphins need depth at running back because Ronnie Brown's always injured and Ricky Williams is always high. (Pick Grade: A)

195. Donald Thomas, G, Connecticut
Steal. Donald Thomas was projected to go in the third round. I wouldn't be surprised if Thomas starts during the latter stages of the 2008 season. (Pick Grade: A)

204. Lex Hilliard, RB, Montana
More depth at running back is a must, but there are better options. (Pick Grade: C)

245. Lionel Dotson, DE, Arizona
Yet another defensive end for the Dolphins. Is Jason Taylor on the move? (Pick Grade: B)

~The Answer

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 01:02 PM
puhlease. Beck is gonna have to play in cold weather throughout his entire SHORT career holding clipboards.

Funny I didn't see Trent have a great cold weather start to his career. I also didn't see him do it without the help of Lynch or Evans. And he still threw more Int's then TD's. It's not like Edwards won ROY or made the probowl. So I can't imagine for the life of me how you have any room to talk about another teams QB and what they'll be based on last years numbers.

mysticsoto
04-28-2008, 01:05 PM
I knew Parcells would bring some stability to an otherwise insane FO. The Dolphins did a good job and had a pretty good draft. I didn't like the RBs they took, but other than that, it was pretty solid.

Mahdi
04-28-2008, 01:06 PM
I really dont think you can compare Merling, Ellis and Taylor... Merling is going to be playing as a 5 technique which means he wont be freed up to go after QBs very often like Ellis and Taylor who play on the edge. Merling is a good DE im sure but I wonder how well he can transition to DE in a 3-4.

I actually think Kendall Langford will have a better career than Merling in this system.

TacklingDummy
04-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Dick can't afford to snooze. I don't think the fins will take long to be competitive.

Especially in the AFC East.

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 01:08 PM
Especially in the AFC East.

THe fins' strength under Parcells will be the D.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 01:10 PM
1. Jake Long, OT, Michigan
I don't like this pick. I don't think Jake Long can be a great left tackle in the NFL. He'll be a great run blocker, but as far as pass protection is concerned, he'll need a lot of work. I just don't see him making the impact Joe Thomas made for the Browns last year. (Pick Grade: C)

~The Answer

Every time I read this crap about Jake Long I wonder what planet these guy's watched football from cause it wasn't earth. Jake Long gave up 1 sack form the left side in two years, he had 1 penalty called gainst him in that same amount of time. Playing at Michigan you don't think that's a huge accomplishment? 6'-7" tall 315 pounds the longest arms of any player in the top 5 rounds playing the OT/OG positions. The guy is very atheletic, he destroys people on running plays and gives up no sacks against elite competition. I don't consider 1 sack against a top 10 pick in 2 years of play hardly a reason to consider him a risk at LT.

The Answer
04-28-2008, 01:12 PM
Every time I read this crap about Jake Long I wonder what planet these guy's watched football from cause it wasn't earth. Jake Long gave up 1 sack form the left side in two years, he had 1 penalty called gainst him in that same amount of time. Playing at Michigan you don't think that's a huge accomplishment? 6'-7" tall 315 pounds the longest arms of any player in the top 5 rounds playing the OT/OG positions. The guy is very atheletic, he destroys people on running plays and gives up no sacks against elite competition. I don't consider 1 sack against a top 10 pick in 2 years of play hardly a reason to consider him a risk at LT.

Hate to say it but I agree with you - and I think he is better than Joe Thomas, but just not the #1 overall player in this draft and that's probably why they aren't that high on the pick.

~The Answer

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 01:18 PM
Hate to say it but I agree with you - and I think he is better than Joe Thomas, but just not the #1 overall player in this draft and that's probably why they aren't that high on the pick.

~The Answer

Time will tell with Long. I think as far as Miami is concerned, there was not another player worthy of the number 1 overall pick over Jake Long. We needed a LT more then any other position, it just so happened that the best LT in this draft was Jake. I don't think Miami had any other choice to make. Add to the fact that he's signed and ready for camp is just a huge bonus. No fighting over money no camp missed. It's a win/win for the Dolphins.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey FTP, who are your WRs after Ginn?

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-28-2008, 01:22 PM
Bill Parcells knows what he is doing. They had a great draft. Unfortunately for me they took two Wolverines that I must now dislike. Definitely took a nice step forward. Of course, if you have the first position in the draft you better not soil all over yourself.

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 01:24 PM

their cb's because that's who Becks been throwing to.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM

Earnest Wilford, Dereck Hagan, Tab Perry, David Kircus and Greg Camarillo.
We also drafted Davone Bess out of Hawaii, as a UDRFA. The kid had 3 1000 yard seasons in Hawaii.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
Oh I forgot about Wilford.

On the Miami website they still have Marty Booker on their depth chart.

Not the most intimidating corp you must admit. No one's afraid of any of these guys.

Ingtar33
04-28-2008, 01:32 PM
best draft the fins have had since JJ left.

I would have done it a little different, but when it all shakes out, you can't argue with BP

trapezeus
04-28-2008, 01:33 PM
i know. amazing draft for the dolphins. they might win 3 times the number of games from last year. 3 times improvement is nothing to laugh at....

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Oh I forgot about Wilford.

On the Miami website they still have Marty Booker on their depth chart.

Not the most intimidating corp you must admit. No one's afraid of any of these guys.

I agree, I think Miami needs to imporve their skill positions, but first things first. We needed to address both lines. I think Miami can compete with what we have now, but I expect we'll make a decent showing next year in FA at the skill positions. Remember we also got Fasano from Dallas, he upgrades our TE position. That will help.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 01:35 PM
i know. amazing draft for the dolphins. they might win 3 times the number of games from last year. 3 times improvement is nothing to laugh at....

Well, that's an imporvement isn't it?

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I agree, I think Miami needs to imporve their skill positions, but first things first. We needed to address both lines. I think Miami can compete with what we have now, but I expect we'll make a decent showing next year in FA at the skill positions. Remember we also got Fasano from Dallas, he upgrades our TE position. That will help.

How is Brown's knee?

I was a little surprised they traded Booker before Brown's knee got really pushed and saw contact, especially with Ricky being a risk.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 02:36 PM
How is Brown's knee?

I was a little surprised they traded Booker before Brown's knee got really pushed and saw contact, especially with Ricky being a risk.
He's well ahead of schedule. He started running an using his knee. They don't expect him to miss any camp. We're also being told Ronnie is in the best shape of his pofessional career. Needless to say, we're a little excited about that. As for Booker, in Miami's we had no place for him. He has no ST value, and was only a threat on third downs. Since we traded our 4th for Fasano and Adoyle we got the 4th back by trading Booker. We then drafted Shawn Murphy with the 4th we got back from Philly. So basically we traded a utility player for a possible starting RG cause that seems to be where the FO has him penciled in. From what we're hearing, Smiley will be the LG so we will have experience next to a rookie at both RG and LT with Carey and Smiley having the experience of course.

FinFaninBuffalo
04-28-2008, 03:04 PM

~The Answer

IMO, Jake Long had to be the pick. The Fins need to build up the OL. I wasn't interested in a DE that would have had to change positions (Chris Long), a DT that doesn't fit in a 3-4 (Dorsey), a DE that would have had to change positions and doesn't play hard every game (Gholston), or a QB, or a RB.

Jake Long was by far the safest pick. Now he just have to work out.

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 03:35 PM
He's well ahead of schedule. He started running an using his knee. They don't expect him to miss any camp. We're also being told Ronnie is in the best shape of his pofessional career. .

Is this from the same doctor that checked out Culpepper and Brees' injuries? If so, you should get a 2nd opinion from Everretts doctor.

Mike13
04-28-2008, 04:50 PM
Is this from the same doctor that checked out Culpepper and Brees' injuries? If so, you should get a 2nd opinion from Everretts doctor.

He said it himself that he's already been working on his cuts without a problem

And I dont think you should compare a huge spinal injury with a knee injury, they are totally different animals.

I'm a little dissapointed that we didnt draft any WRS or DBs.
But then again this was weak draft for Wideouts, hell none were selected in the first round. You guys got a nice catch with Hardy though.

I also thought we could have kept Lorenzo Booker, he's a good shifty RB with excellent hands.

LtFinFan66
04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
Bill Parcells knows what he is doing. They had a great draft. Unfortunately for me they took two Wolverines that I must now dislike. Definitely took a nice step forward. Of course, if you have the first position in the draft you better not soil all over yourself.And 2 Wolverines who I have to like now:sadwalk:

Captain Obvious
04-28-2008, 05:46 PM

Yes... Just like Lorenzo Booker was going to tear up the NFL like you predicted last year?

jmb1099
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
Fins had a good draft. Parcells didn't waste anytime cleaning up the mess left by Saban and Cameron.

im4bflo
04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
:lolpoint:the FISH :squish:

SIR:Please keep this kind of stuff in the smack zone. There is no room for that in the NFL zone. Thank you. LtFF

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-28-2008, 07:19 PM
And 2 Wolverines who I have to like now:sadwalk:

Don't worry, I did the same with Donte Whitner and Ashton Youboty two years ago. LT, be honest though, you can't be to excited to get Chad Henne. I can tell you that when that one point of the game, I would say clutch, Henne rarely delivers. If he can overcome that in the NFL he could be a good QB, but I watched him for four years and in big games and big moments he failed. He has the talent to be a good one, it is just that clutch factor that would worry me.

!Papacrunk!
04-28-2008, 07:33 PM
Yes... Just like Lorenzo Booker was going to tear up the NFL like you predicted last year?

I'm indifferent when it comes to Booker, but him getting traded was mainly because he wasn't going to fit in Miami alrgely because of his size. Granted if he was the guy that tore things up, he wouldn't have been traded

mysticsoto
04-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Congrats to the fins for a good pick up in UDFA of Titus Brown - he will likely play OLB for them. He doesn't time well, but he's quicker than his time seems and he's got alot of raw talent...

DraftBoy
04-29-2008, 02:01 PM
I wrote this on Thephins.com

Miami
1 (1) Jake Long OT Michigan
This was the smart safe pick here at the #1 position. Some scouts and NFL people have talked about how Jake Long projects better as a RT then a LT. I say thats bologna, here you have a guy who allowed one total sack his entire career at Michigan yet you want to tell me he can't handle speed rushers? No Im not buying it. Jake Long will be a good LT for next decade for Miami protecting the QB's blindside, whoever that may be. He is absolutely dominating run blocker and should help clear the way for Ronnie Brown.

Grade: A

2 (32) Phillip Merling DE Clemson
Wow, thats all I could say when I saw that the Miami Dolphins got Phillip Merling. I had him as the most complete DE in the draft and I sat there in utter bewilderment at how this happened. Merling is an amazing DE who can not only rush the passer well, he plays the run better. He will likely get a year or learning alongside Jason Taylor and that will only further help his game. Merling is athletic and a hard worker who never quits on a play.

Grade: A+

2 (57) Chad Henne QB Michigan
Just missing out on nabbing Brian Brohm, you guys still manage to nab Chad Henne, who really impressed in the pre-draft season at the combine and in workouts. Henne has a good arm, nice mechanics and is a leader. His accuracy must improve and he is not as mobile as some of the other QB's. Henne must show that he is a durable player and that he can make the throw under pressure. Henne likely isnt ready to start this year and could really learn something from Josh McCown. Also he must beat out a very hungry John Beck who struggled as a rookie but is not one to give up so easily.

Grade: B

3 (66) Kendall Langford DE Hampton
The small school product out of Hampton, Langford is a very good prospect who can play inside or out and has great size. Some compare him to a small school version of Adam Carriker. Either way Langford can both make plays in the backfield (24.5 Career Sacks, 56 Career TFL) or after the LOS (236 tackles in his career). One thing Langford must do is refine his technique, he needs to play at a lower level and he also needs to learn to play with leverage.

Grade: B+
4 (110) Shawn Murphy OT Utah State
An unheralded prospect coming out of Utah State, Shawn Murphy is a versatile player who can play the OG or OT position and has great size. He has a very good work ethic and does not stop playing until the whistle blows. Murphy is still pretty raw coming out of Utah St and he is an older prospect so there is some concern here about how quickly he can pickup the playbook and contribute, but Im rather confident in his natural abilities.

Grade: B-

6 (167) Jalen Parmele RB Toledo
This was a pick I really just didn't understand from Miami. You have Ronnie Brown who is an incredible back with strength and quickness and maybe the one thing you look to add is a burner, but instead that add Parmele? Yea he was timed at 4.47 in the 40 but he doesnt play at that speed. He had a good combine but I think he's a workout warrior. Could he be more? Sure he could but I dont see it at this point in the draft.

Grade: C-
6 (195) Donald Thomas OG Conneticut
A very strong pick here as I really like Thomas out of Conneticut. I was surprised to see him fall this far. He has good athleticism and good size to be an OG in this league but the thing I like most about him was his footwork. It was very percise and very technical. Thomas only has 14 career starts so is he still very much a raw prospect and he does have the assault rap on his record so can he stay out of trouble? If he can keep his butt on the field and work on his game, he could be a dynamite player.

Grade: B

6 (205) Lex Hilliard RB Montana
I like this pick a lot because I project Hilliard as FB on the next level. He is a good blocker and has the ability to carry the ball in any situation which presents Miami with a lot of options for him both rushing and receiving. He does come from a small school situation and will need to adjust but he could be the future FB for the Dolphins.

Grade: B+

7 (245) Lionel Dotson DT Arizona
Dotson is just plain so for his relative lack of bulk, he really needs to work on his quickness or bulk up even further. Really came on as a Senior and had a great year. Has a good burst and can penetrate into the middle of the pocket. Need to build up his strength and conditioning since he has some durability issues.

Grade: C

jamze132
04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
I say by September 7th, Beck will be holding the clipboard for McCown.

jamze132
04-30-2008, 01:53 PM
Parcells did all the right things in the draft. He knows that to build a contender, you need to start in the trenches. The Dolphins got a nice core to build on.