• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Grade the Draft from a different perspective

Let's look at this weekend's event from a little different point of view. No actual names of the players we drafted. We think we know what the team needs are, let's assume that the coaches and FO actually know more about the individual players selected.

1. CB-5'10" ht, 190 lbs, 4.38 forty.
    2. WR-6'5-1/2", 217, 4.51.
    3. DE-6'4", 263, 4.71.
    4a. CB-5'11-3/4", 180, 4.49.
    4b. TE-6'2-3/4", 251, 4.83.
    5. LB-6'1", 223, 4.75.
    6. RB-5"11", 228 lbs, 4.59.
    7a. OT-6'5", 303, 5.22.
    7b. WR-6'2", 210, 4.55.
    7c. CB-6'0", 195, 4.58.

So...How did the team do in this year's draft?
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Re: Grade the Draft from a different perspective

C-

Great Day 1
    Pathetic Day 2 apart from the first 2 R7 selections.
    We over reached for players no-one else wanted and deprived ourselves the chance to gain decent depth and the odd future starter.
    Very disappointing.

Comment

• alohabillsfan
      • Sep 2003

here is a different perspective... lets wait till they play... the Giants last year received a c- from some media on their draft that worked out pretty good.

Comment

• TedMock
        • Jul 2002

I like it. We're all going to hear the idiots saying things like "but we needed a ..." I'm glad we went BPA and didn't cave to the BS drafting for specific positions. There will be FA's and there will be quality players released. Indy took 2 OC's. Wow. BPA is the way to go imo. A team needs at least 3 or 4 quality CB's and we were smart to draft a few. We'll see how the players pan out. Nobody I've never heard of was drafted by the Bills, so it wasn't like we went after a bunch of nobody's. Of course, I haven't seen all of them play either. We shall see.

Comment

• Nighthawk
          Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by TedMock
          I like it. We're all going to hear the idiots saying things like "but we needed a ..." I'm glad we went BPA and didn't cave to the BS drafting for specific positions. There will be FA's and there will be quality players released. Indy took 2 OC's. Wow. BPA is the way to go imo. A team needs at least 3 or 4 quality CB's and we were smart to draft a few. We'll see how the players pan out. Nobody I've never heard of was drafted by the Bills, so it wasn't like we went after a bunch of nobody's. Of course, I haven't seen all of them play either. We shall see.
          With Corner being taken that early and with the talent still left on the board, it would be hard pressed to say we went BPA. If we did, the Bills board was off a little bit. I hope I'm proven wrong, but the Bills reached for some players.

Comment

• TedMock
            • Jul 2002

They may have reached. I really don't know. A lot of the "experts" right on this very board (myself included) would have reached a lot further. Many wanted Owen Schmitt or Hillis to be our FB in the early 4th. Scmitt went late 5th and Hillis even further. Many wanted an early/mid spent on Erin Henderson or Ali Highsmith. Both went undrafted. Now the same people are sitting around complaing about the draft. Hey, we're all going to disagree on a pick or two, but some of these fans are just *****ing for the sake of *****ing. They never heard of the guy, but they also aren't die-hard college fans. Knowing that, they still act like they know all about the guy. They have seen him play a million times even though the games of those particular players aren't being televised in their local area due to geographic preferences, etc. Not aimed at anybody in particular, but you all know who the folks are.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Aaahh, B.

Comment

• elltrain22
                • Sep 2003

I really like McKelvin, but woulda been happier w/ DRC. I really liked the Hardy pick. I think Chris Ellis has a shot to be a good, not ever great DE. After that, I think all we have are a collection of "special teams" performers. Corner was a waste, Fine is slow, and won't contribute at all, Bowen isn't bad and could be another Angelo Crowell, but prolly a long shot. The rest of the guys will probably not even make the team.
                If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• elltrain22
                  • Sep 2003

I really like McKelvin, but woulda been happier w/ DRC. I really liked the Hardy pick. I think Chris Ellis has a shot to be a good, not ever great DE. After that, I think all we have are a collection of "special teams" performers. Corner was a waste, Fine is slow, and won't contribute at all, Bowen isn't bad and could be another Angelo Crowell, but prolly a long shot. The rest of the guys will probably not even make the team.
                  If you walk with Jesus today, you don't have anything to worry about tomorrow...

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

I really would have liked to get a center out of this draft. Swap that for one of the corners and I would have been thrilled.

A #1 corner, plus a later pick for depth.
                    A big WR early, plus another late-rounder.
                    A TE.
                    An O-lineman and a DE.
                    A LB for depth.
                    RB-okay, maybe another DT instead, but I can live with it.

I think we did pretty well, but only time will tell how many players we actually got.
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Ebenezer
                      Give me a minute...
                      • Jul 2002

we can grade this draft like most should be graded....in three years.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Definately a C-.

We had a chance to trade back into the second and grab Bennett or Sweed and finally fix some issues. The Redskins got both Kelly and Sweed.

I like the pick at #3 to replace Hargrove.

After that the Bills screwed the pooch. Seriously, I think we are still calling CBs. How many frickin CBs do we need on the roster?

How many hybrid TE/HB do we need that never actually play???

Comment

Working...
                        X