PDA

View Full Version : My alternative Day2 draft

kernowboy
04-27-2008, 05:44 PM
I am shocked at the ineptitude of the Bills organization on Day2 of this years draft. I was disappointed in 2007 when we simply didn’t turn up on the second day but in many ways, with the strange selections in this years’ draft, the failing of the Bills has been even worse. Whilst I hope some of the picks work out, they are not of value, if no other team values them and if we could have got them as undrafted free agents. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
There are many Offensive Linemen who are taken in the last two rounds, tight ends drafted in the middle of the draft, defensive linemen able to start and selected from Round 4 downwards. As a team we do not have the overall depth as several positions to pass up potential starters in favour of special teamers who will never get near the starting line-up. We have literally wasted picks and gained no value for them, as those selections could have been made later in the draft, so we can say we had a great start (R1-2) an appalling middle (R3-R6 though Ellis was an ok pick if not a priority) and a good finish (R7)<o:p></o:p>
What I have done with this speculative piece is avoided any trading up or down and selected the players who will be making other teams much better when they could have been helping the Bills go deep into the playoffs. I have also avoided those not drafted at all, except for my final pick in R7.<o:p></o:p>
R3 (72) Brad Cottam, TE, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State> (selected by the Chiefs at 76) – actual pick, Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech<o:p></o:p>
Whilst I liked the Ellis pick, TE was a much greater need and the subsequent run at this position, meant we missed out big time. At 6ft7 and 270lbs but running a 4.63, he would have been a fantastic asset to the team. Ellis is good but he most definitely is the 4<SUP>th</SUP> player in the rotation.<o:p></o:p>
R4 (114) Dre Moore, DL, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:PersonName w:st="on">Mary</st1:PersonName>land</st1:State> (selected by the Buccaneers at 115) – actual pick, Reggie Corner, CB, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Akron</st1:place></st1:City><o:p></o:p>
At this stage of the draft, you wonder if the Bills didn’t select <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Moore</st1:place></st1:City> in case they were accused of grand theft. An absolute steal that might have spelled McCargo and Stroud and combined with Johnson to be a huge threat on 3<SUP>rd</SUP> downs. Instead we grab a corner called Corner. Whilst Corner could become a decent player, we could easily have been taken with our pick at 219. Sticking to your draft board is good, but when the rest of the league, seem hell bent on giving you a colossal opportunity to improve, this is a case when you should not bite the hand that feeds you. A stupid, stupid pick and what could have been an ‘A’ grade becomes an ‘F’ grade., not a reflection on Corner but on the fact he was taken 105 places too early.<o:p></o:p>
R4 (132) Owen Schmitt, FB, <st1:State w:st="on">West Virginia</st1:State> (selected by the Seahawks at 163) – actual pick, Derek Fine, TE, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Kansas</st1:place></st1:State><o:p></o:p>
I thought we were going to using a FB? Surely this therefore requires a FB? Again, excessive focuses on Special Team means we select a guy who will be buried in the depth charts and miss out on a bodyguard for Marshawn. Instead we draft Schoumann Mk2 … even Tom Santi or Andrew Atchison would have been better choices.<o:p></o:p>
R5 (147) Trevor Scott, DE, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:City> (selected by the Raiders at 163) – actual pick, Alvin Black, LB, Iowa St<o:p></o:p>
We needed a 4<SUP>th</SUP> end and who better than a young local guy who had registered impressive sack totals in the previous two years. Instead Excessive focuses on Special Teams mean we draft a small slow LB … were they out on the piss last night after a great Day1 and have not recovered from the hangover? <o:p></o:p>
R6 (179) John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame (selected by the Vikings at 187) - actual pick, Xavier Odom, RB, <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">NW Missouri St</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
A chance to luck out and draft the center of the future originally thought of as a R2 prospect. Had a wobbly senior season, but still a very good player. But instead, again we select a guy who could have gone undrafted and will be in the mix with Jackson and Wright. We have other depth needs.<o:p></o:p>
R7 (219) Demetrius Bell, LT, Northwestern St<o:p></o:p>
Finally a decent selection fulfilling a need on the depth chart, although it’s a pity that the Bills have taken 105 picks to work out that this is the type of selection that is needed. He should beat out Chambers to develop behind Peters. More likely to be on the roster come September than some of our earlier picks.<o:p></o:p>
R7 (224) Steve Johnson, WR, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Kentucky</st1:place></st1:State><o:p></o:p>
Another decent selection, filling a hole on the roster is what we should have been looking at earlier. Over a 1,000yds for 13 TDs off 60catches in 2007 which is pretty nice. Almost 6ft2 and ran a 4.55. A great leaper with some upside though he is still inexperienced. The sort of guy who can make Josh Reed look for a new team in a couple of years<o:p></o:p>
R7 (251) Kyle Wright QB, <st1:City w:st="on">Miami</st1:City> (undrafted) – actual pick, Kennard Cox, CB, <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:City>.<o:p></o:p>
How many f***ing CBs are we planning to field. We needed a developmental QB who might eventually become a serviceable backup or at least push Hamdam. Idiots. Wright has a big arm, and mobility and decent coaching as maybe all he needs.
As undrafted free agents we need to be straight on the phone to<o:p></o:p>
Jehuu Caulcrick, RB, <st1:Street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Michigan St</st1:address></st1:Street><o:p></o:p>
DJ Hall, WR, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Alabama</st1:place></st1:State>, <o:p></o:p>
Andrew Atchison, TE, William & <st1:PersonName w:st="on">Mary</st1:PersonName><o:p></o:p>
Adam Ballard, FB, Navy<o:p></o:p>
Andrew Crummey, G/C <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PersonName w:st="on">Mary</st1:PersonName>land</st1:place></st1:State><o:p></o:p>
Darrell <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Robertson</st1:City>, <st1:State w:st="on">DE</st1:State>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Georgia</st1:country-region></st1:place> Tech<o:p></o:p>
Eric Henderson, LB, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:PersonName w:st="on">Mary</st1:PersonName>land</st1:place></st1:State><o:p></o:p>
Ezra <st1:City w:st="on">Butler</st1:City>, LB, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Nevada</st1:place></st1:State><o:p></o:p>
Jonathan Hefney, FS, <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:place></st1:State><o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Thoughts?</o:p>

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2008, 05:46 PM
I, like most Bills fans, are shocked at the ineptitude of the Bills organization on Day2 of this years draft. I was disappointed in 2007 when we simply didn’t turn up on the second day but in many ways, with the strange selections in this years’ draft, the failing of the Bills has been even worse. Whilst I hope some of the picks work out, they are not of value, if no other team values them and if we could have got them as undrafted free agents. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Thoughts</o:p>

Don't include too many people in your "ineptitude" group.

kernowboy
04-27-2008, 05:49 PM
The posts have hardly been in favour of the R3, R4a, R4b, R5, and R6 selections or the R7c pick.

We have taken bigger the normal gambles which seems foolish.

gr8slayer
04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Thank god we didn't waste a pick on Schmitt.

kernowboy
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
Thank god we didn't waste a pick on Schmitt.

We wasted it on Derek Fine instead.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2008, 05:51 PM
The posts have hardly been in favour of the R3, R4a, R4b, R5, and R6 selections or the R7c pick.

We have taken bigger the normal gambles which seems foolish.

Why people are *****ing about Ellis or Omon is beyond me.

As for the 7c pick, it is the next to last pick in the draft. Not much to ***** about.

hydro
04-27-2008, 05:53 PM
Wright is not drafted. Why not add him to the UDFA list.

kernowboy
04-27-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't like the Omon pick because behind Fowler we have Preston at Center and we could have had Sullivan.

Sullivan fills are far greater need than Omon who whilst a good player might only be the 4th RB

kernowboy
04-27-2008, 05:54 PM
Wright is not drafted. Why not add him to the UDFA list.

Because he can now sign for whoever he likes, and I'd prefer the best of what remains with us, than another cornerback

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 05:55 PM
I love the Ellis pick and think he will be a great addition to this team. The rest of day 2 is a mystery.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2008, 05:56 PM
I don't like the Omon pick because behind Fowler we have Preston at Center and we could have had Sullivan.

Sullivan fills are far greater need than Omon who whilst a good player might only be the 4th RB

Late round picks are not selected by need.

I don't think there is one NFL who drafts like that.

kernowboy
04-27-2008, 06:00 PM
Well when you have the likes of Koppen and Nalen taken at the end of the draft, maybe they should be.

alohabillsfan
04-27-2008, 06:00 PM
R5 (147) Trevor Scott, DE, Buffalo (selected by the Raiders at 163) – actual pick, Alvin Black, LB, Iowa St

We needed a 4th end (duh, see round 3 pick) and who better than a young local guy who had registered impressive sack totals in the previous two years. Instead Excessive focuses on Special Teams mean we draft a small slow LB … were they out on the piss last night after a great Day1 and have not recovered from the hangover?

Ingtar33
04-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I suspect the bills might plan on converting Fine to FB

just a suspicion

Tatonka
04-27-2008, 06:04 PM
it is easy to make the "perfect" second day draft list after it is over.

the only pick that i really question is the Fine pick. He may be a FB, who knows.. but maybe the guys that coveted at TE went earlier than they thought.. i dont know.. that said, that would be the only thing that i would change.. i would have drafted a TE and FB, not an H-back that is going to do both. but i like the rest of our picks just fine. no pun intended.

Tatonka
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM

just a suspicion

i was thinking that initially, but isnt he a bit tall for TE? 6'3".

hydro
04-27-2008, 06:05 PM

just a suspicion

JediBuffalo called this one too right after the pick. I could see it happening.

John Doe
04-27-2008, 07:26 PM
I am shocked at the ineptitude of the Bills organization on Day2 of this years draft. I was disappointed in 2007 when we simply didn’t turn up on the second day but in many ways, with the strange selections in this years’ draft, the failing of the Bills has been even worse. Whilst I hope some of the picks work out, they are not of value, if no other team values them and if we could have got them as undrafted free agents. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"></st1:place></st1:State><o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Thoughts?</o:p>

I think this criticism of the Bills front office is a bit overblown considering that you would have picked Hardy at 17 in the first and Dre Moore at 42 in the second according to your own mock draft.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2008, 07:29 PM
Hey. If you really want Drew Atchison, TE, William & Mary, just give me the word.

He lives very close to me. I have known him since grade school.

He is one of my son's better friends.

Tom Santi is much better, though Drew is a great kid and very smart-was pre med.

The Fine pick over Santi is very disturbing for me.

In my view, Santi is by far the best of those three, if only considered as a TE.

patmoran2006
04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
My problem with this team isn't that we didnt get a good TE in the draft like I would've been my life on we would've. But that we still NEEDED a TE on draft day to begin with.

They should've signed Utecht, Johnson or Crumpler the second FA opened.. The position is a joke to this team, and looks like it will continue to be.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2008, 08:13 PM
The TE thing has me flummoxed.

ParanoidAndroid
04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 border=0 minmax_bound="true"><TBODY minmax_bound="true"><TR minmax_bound="true"><TD vAlign=top align=right minmax_bound="true"></TD><TD minmax_bound="true"><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->addle<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/addle)d, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->befuddle<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/befuddle)d, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->bewilder<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/bewilder)ed, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->discombobulate<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/discombobulate)d, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->dizzy<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/dizzy), <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->fuddle<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/fuddle)d, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->jumble<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/jumble)d, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->mixed up<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/mix%20up), <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->muddle<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/muddle)d, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->mystified<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) -->, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->perplex<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/perplex)ed, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->puzzle<!-- google_ad_section_end(name=def) --> (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/puzzle)d, <!-- google_ad_section_start(name=def) -->confound (http://thesaurus.reference.com/browse/confound)ed

or flummoxed....thank you....I learned a new word today.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

YardRat
04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
I wouldn't have minded that draft. I like ours, though, also, except for the lack of a center.

PECKERWOOD
04-27-2008, 09:15 PM
Did Jamie Silva get drafted? He would be a nice signing.

yordad
04-27-2008, 10:21 PM
I am shocked at the ineptitude of the Bills organization on Day2 of this years draft. I was disappointed in 2007 when we simply didn’t turn up on the second day but in many ways, with the strange selections in this years’ draft, the failing of the Bills has been even worse. Whilst I hope some of the picks work out, they are not of value, if no other team values them and if we could have got them as undrafted free agents. <o:p></o:p>
There are many Offensive Linemen who are taken in the last two rounds, tight ends drafted in the middle of the draft, defensive linemen able to start and selected from Round 4 downwards. As a team we do not have the overall depth as several positions to pass up potential starters in favour of special teamers who will never get near the starting line-up. We have literally wasted picks and gained no value for them, as those selections could have been made later in the draft, so we can say we had a great start (R1-2) an appalling middle (R3-R6 though Ellis was an ok pick if not a priority) and a good finish (R7)<o:p></o:p>
What I have done with this speculative piece is avoided any trading up or down and selected the players who will be making other teams much better when they could have been helping the Bills go deep into the playoffs. I have also avoided those not drafted at all, except for my final pick in R7.<o:p></o:p>
R3 (72) Brad Cottam, TE, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:place></st1:state> (selected by the Chiefs at 76) – actual pick, Chris Ellis, DE, Virginia Tech<o:p></o:p>
Whilst I liked the Ellis pick, TE was a much greater need and the subsequent run at this position, meant we missed out big time. At 6ft7 and 270lbs but running a 4.63, he would have been a fantastic asset to the team. Ellis is good but he most definitely is the 4<sup>th</sup> player in the rotation.<o:p></o:p>
R4 (114) Dre Moore, DL, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:personname w:st="on">Mary</st1:personname>land</st1:state> (selected by the Buccaneers at 115) – actual pick, Reggie Corner, CB, <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Akron</st1:place></st1:city><o:p></o:p>
At this stage of the draft, you wonder if the Bills didn’t select <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Moore</st1:place></st1:city> in case they were accused of grand theft. An absolute steal that might have spelled McCargo and Stroud and combined with Johnson to be a huge threat on 3<sup>rd</sup> downs. Instead we grab a corner called Corner. Whilst Corner could become a decent player, we could easily have been taken with our pick at 219. Sticking to your draft board is good, but when the rest of the league, seem hell bent on giving you a colossal opportunity to improve, this is a case when you should not bite the hand that feeds you. A stupid, stupid pick and what could have been an ‘A’ grade becomes an ‘F’ grade., not a reflection on Corner but on the fact he was taken 105 places too early.<o:p></o:p>
R4 (132) Owen Schmitt, FB, <st1:state w:st="on">West Virginia</st1:state> (selected by the Seahawks at 163) – actual pick, Derek Fine, TE, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Kansas</st1:place></st1:state><o:p></o:p>
I thought we were going to using a FB? Surely this therefore requires a FB? Again, excessive focuses on Special Team means we select a guy who will be buried in the depth charts and miss out on a bodyguard for Marshawn. Instead we draft Schoumann Mk2 … even Tom Santi or Andrew Atchison would have been better choices.<o:p></o:p>
R5 (147) Trevor Scott, DE, <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Buffalo</st1:place></st1:city> (selected by the Raiders at 163) – actual pick, Alvin Black, LB, Iowa St<o:p></o:p>
We needed a 4<sup>th</sup> end and who better than a young local guy who had registered impressive sack totals in the previous two years. Instead Excessive focuses on Special Teams mean we draft a small slow LB … were they out on the piss last night after a great Day1 and have not recovered from the hangover? <o:p></o:p>
R6 (179) John Sullivan, C, Notre Dame (selected by the Vikings at 187) - actual pick, Xavier Odom, RB, <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">NW Missouri St</st1:address></st1:street><o:p></o:p>
A chance to luck out and draft the center of the future originally thought of as a R2 prospect. Had a wobbly senior season, but still a very good player. But instead, again we select a guy who could have gone undrafted and will be in the mix with Jackson and Wright. We have other depth needs.<o:p></o:p>
R7 (219) Demetrius Bell, LT, Northwestern St<o:p></o:p>
Finally a decent selection fulfilling a need on the depth chart, although it’s a pity that the Bills have taken 105 picks to work out that this is the type of selection that is needed. He should beat out Chambers to develop behind Peters. More likely to be on the roster come September than some of our earlier picks.<o:p></o:p>
R7 (224) Steve Johnson, WR, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Kentucky</st1:place></st1:state><o:p></o:p>
Another decent selection, filling a hole on the roster is what we should have been looking at earlier. Over a 1,000yds for 13 TDs off 60catches in 2007 which is pretty nice. Almost 6ft2 and ran a 4.55. A great leaper with some upside though he is still inexperienced. The sort of guy who can make Josh Reed look for a new team in a couple of years<o:p></o:p>
R7 (251) Kyle Wright QB, <st1:city w:st="on">Miami</st1:city> (undrafted) – actual pick, Kennard Cox, CB, <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Pittsburgh</st1:place></st1:city>.<o:p></o:p>
How many f***ing CBs are we planning to field. We needed a developmental QB who might eventually become a serviceable backup or at least push Hamdam. Idiots. Wright has a big arm, and mobility and decent coaching as maybe all he needs.
As undrafted free agents we need to be straight on the phone to<o:p></o:p>
Jehuu Caulcrick, RB, <st1:street w:st="on"><st1:address w:st="on">Michigan St</st1:address></st1:street><o:p></o:p>
DJ Hall, WR, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Alabama</st1:place></st1:state>, <o:p></o:p>
Andrew Atchison, TE, William & <st1:personname w:st="on">Mary</st1:personname><o:p></o:p>
Adam Ballard, FB, Navy<o:p></o:p>
Andrew Crummey, G/C <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:personname w:st="on">Mary</st1:personname>land</st1:place></st1:state><o:p></o:p>
Darrell <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:city w:st="on">Robertson</st1:city>, <st1:state w:st="on">DE</st1:state>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Georgia</st1:country-region></st1:place> Tech<o:p></o:p>
Eric Henderson, LB, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:personname w:st="on">Mary</st1:personname>land</st1:place></st1:state><o:p></o:p>
Ezra <st1:city w:st="on">Butler</st1:city>, LB, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Nevada</st1:place></st1:state><o:p></o:p>
Jonathan Hefney, FS, <st1:state w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tennessee</st1:place></st1:state><o:p></o:p>
<o:p>Thoughts?</o:p> Oh my. I think you nailed it. I agree like 96%. This is what I have been saying all day, almost exactly. I would have drafted DJ Hall at 224.

Late round picks are not selected by need.

I don't think there is one NFL who drafts like that.So, you advocate selecting a practice squad player over an impact player based on BPA. If BPA = a guy on the pine, and drafting a position of need up grades a position, then I don't get it. Most team don't think like that because they don't plan on finding a game one starter in round 5. argh. I really think this theory came about from GMs being politically correct in interviews post draft. They say, "We went BPA. We think competition is good. Our guys are good already, but he presented great value."

What are they supposed to say, "Our guys suck, we had to reach"?

My problem with this team isn't that we didnt get a good TE in the draft like I would've been my life on we would've. But that we still NEEDED a TE on draft day to begin with.

They should've signed Utecht, Johnson or Crumpler the second FA opened.. The position is a joke to this team, and looks like it will continue to be.I know. It wouldn't have been that hard either. It was as simple as turning the big board over and reading it right side up.