PDA

View Full Version : The Official Bills FO is way Smarter than BZ thread!!!

Devin
04-27-2008, 08:19 PM
Apart from the fact that after the first 3 pciks we could have stopped there and id have been happy im a little unsure of what the *****ing is about.

Look our DB's were less then stellar, and our depth is laughable. Some of our signings are probably cuts anyway.

So we didnt get one of the TE's. Big deal. We have like 4 on our roster, did you honestly believe we were going to draft one in the first 4 rounds if at all? Look at the trends with other teams drafting for crying out loud.

McKelvin was a fantastic pick as was Hardy. Ellis imo was a great pickup and will be a fine pass rusher for us.

By and large ive heard nothing but good things about Corner, Johnson, and Fine. In fact today it was said that fine compares favorabley to Chris Cooley. Yeah ill take it.

I realize most of you are bipolar and that you hate one pick and the FO blows then with the next pick they "have redeemed themselves". Pardon me if I take thier word over people who collect loose facts via the web and youtube.

OpIv37
04-27-2008, 08:24 PM
why do you take their word? Back to back 7-9 seasons? A decade with no playoffs? Only two .500 or better seasons since the turn of the century? Sorry but this FO has yet to earn anyone's trust. There have been some changes at the top but guys like Modrak, Brandon, John Guy etc have been around for most of that pathetic stretch.

I like the first 3 picks but we definitely went heavy on CB and light on O. The O is still terrible- it's the same O as last year plus James Hardy and Teyo Johnson. Even though I like the Hardy pick, I'm not exactly impressed.

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Apart from the fact that after the first 3 pciks we could have stopped there and id have been happy im a little unsure of what the *****ing is about.

Look our DB's were less then stellar, and our depth is laughable. Some of our signings are probably cuts anyway.

So we didnt get one of the TE's. Big deal. We have like 4 on our roster, did you honestly believe we were going to draft one in the first 4 rounds if at all? Look at the trends with other teams drafting for crying out loud.

McKelvin was a fantastic pick as was Hardy. Ellis imo was a great pickup and will be a fine pass rusher for us.

By and large ive heard nothing but good things about Corner, Johnson, and Fine. In fact today it was said that fine compares favorabley to Chris Cooley. Yeah ill take it.

I realize most of you are bipolar and that you hate one pick and the FO blows then with the next pick they "have redeemed themselves". Pardon me if I take thier word over people who collect loose facts via the web and youtube.

Like I said before, they did some good things in this draft, but yet again, they reach way too much for players. Sorry, but I lack the confidence in an organization that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. I'll keep saying it over and over...respect is earned and this organizations hasn't earned it. Once they do, then I'll stop second guessing their decisions. Until then, they're fair game.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Who would make the offense better this year in the 4th round an beyond?

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
Who would make the offense better this year in the 4th round an beyond?

They could have traded some picks and moved up to get Rucker...he would have made a big difference at our TE position.

shelby
04-27-2008, 08:27 PM
No offense, Op, but you aren't easily impressed anyway.

There are two types of fans...those who choose to think positively, that our team has made some decent moves, and will be improved this season....and those who choose to think negatively, that any changes made won't be good enough, and our playoff drought will continue.

i choose to be among the former, but it's evident from reading the boards that the pessimists will continue to beat us about the head with their negative point of view. Don't suck the joy out of my draft weekend, people. We have plenty of time to be unhappy when September rolls around.

Great post, Devin, thanks.

:gobills:

Bone
04-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Like I said before, they did some good things in this draft, but yet again, they reach way too much for players. Sorry, but I lack the confidence in an organization that hasn't made the playoffs in 10 years. I'll keep saying it over and over...respect is earned and this organizations hasn't earned it. Once they do, then I'll stop second guessing their decisions. Until then, they're fair game.

9 years:nod:

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:32 PM

There are two types of fans...those who choose to think positively, that our team has made some decent moves, and will be improved this season....and those who choose to think negatively, that any changes made won't be good enough, and our playoff drought will continue.

i choose to be among the former, but it's evident from reading the boards that the pessimists will continue to beat us about the head with their negative point of view. Don't suck the joy out of my draft weekend, people. We have plenty of time to be unhappy when September rolls around.

It has nothing to do about being negative or positive, it's about knowing this team and knowing what they need to win. This draft was both good and bad. I have a very difficult time having two retread TEs forced down our throats as the answer at TE. It doesn't take a football genius to see those guys (Johnson & Anderson) are not good enough. The Bills had a chance to get a good player at that position and decided to ignore it...that bothers me. I love the Hardy, Ellis and McKelvin picks, I like the WR & RB picks in the late rounds, but getting a mediocre TE and another corner early in the 4th makes absolutely no sense. IMO

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
They could have traded some picks and moved up to get Rucker...he would have made a big difference at our TE position.

Big difference?

Why was this guy on the board in the 4th? If he was a big difference maker, why did he not go somewhere earlier?

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:33 PM
9 years:nod:

Oops, my bad...

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:35 PM
Big difference?

Why was this guy on the board in the 4th? If he was a big difference maker, why did he not go somewhere earlier?

You don't watch college football...do you? I'm not being a jerk, but I follow it pretty religiously and I can tell you...he is 110% better than anything on our roster at that position.

Tatonka
great post devin.. i feel the same.

i had no clue about omon, bowen, bell, or johnson, but i am liking the picks more and more with every thing i read about them. starting to get excited.

and i will say this.. i was praying to god that hardy was the pick in the 2nd.. and when they actually did.. pretty cool stuff.. rarely happens.

im happy with everyone.. i have no idea about fine yet.. having not read anything on him, i am hoping that i will find some good stuff.

Dr. Lecter
BTW, I hate and despise the 9 year thing, unless TD has been re-hired.

It is not the same organization.

Dr. Lecter
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM
You don't watch college football...do you? I'm not being a jerk, but I follow it pretty religiously and I can tell you...he is 110% better than anything on our roster at that position.

Admitaly I did not see much of him this year.

But back to my question: Did the 31 other teams not watch college football either?

If he is such a difference maker, why did they not take him?

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:36 PM

Last time I checked, Ralphy was still the owner and most of the guys running the show were here when TD was here, so yes, it's the same.

justasportsfan
04-27-2008, 08:37 PM
Impossible. Hh WOULD WIN US THE SB

HHURRICANE
04-27-2008, 08:38 PM
why do you take their word? Back to back 7-9 seasons? A decade with no playoffs? Only two .500 or better seasons since the turn of the century? Sorry but this FO has yet to earn anyone's trust. There have been some changes at the top but guys like Modrak, Brandon, John Guy etc have been around for most of that pathetic stretch.

I like the first 3 picks but we definitely went heavy on CB and light on O. The O is still terrible- it's the same O as last year plus James Hardy and Teyo Johnson. Even though I like the Hardy pick, I'm not exactly impressed.

Your a hater for bringing up the facts regarding the draft.

Nighthawk
Admitaly I did not see much of him this year.

But back to my question: Did the 31 other teams not watch college football either?

If he is such a difference maker, why did they not take him?

Not many teams had TE as a glaring need and those that did, got a TE earlier. It should tell you something that a team (Browns) with not many picks this year, traded up to get a player who they didn't need. They already have a great TE in Winslow.

Tatonka
i have a question.. if fine turned out to be like chris cooley, would it change your opinion?

Tatonka
04-27-2008, 08:40 PM
the team that won the superbowl last season.. didnt have their tight end.

neither did the team they were playing.

watson and shockey were both hurt.. but hey.. you probably need an allstar at teh position to get there and win.. right?

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
i have a question.. if fine turned out to be like chris cooley, would it change your opinion?

I'll admit it, yes, but if he doesn't and if Corner sucks, will you admit that this organization really doesn't get it? It's a two way street...

Gunzlingr
04-27-2008, 08:41 PM
Devin is right.

I remember a couple years ago when everybody was pissed we didn't draft some DT and said the front office didn't know what they were doing and the guy went undrafted. I decided then and there that the FO of 32 teams know more than a couple hundred internet message board "experts"

I have read several critiques of our draft, and have yet to read anything negative. So I guess those guys don't know as much as the experts here either.

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:42 PM

watson and shockey were both hurt.. but hey.. you probably need an allstar at teh position to get there and win.. right?

You cannot compare this team to those...this team isn't even a playoff team. Doesn't really hold water...

Tatonka
04-27-2008, 08:42 PM
I'll admit it, yes, but if he doesn't and if Corner sucks, will you admit that this organization really doesn't get it? It's a two way street...

well, it really depends on what the other TEs do.. if rucker turns out to be a beast this year.. sure.. or keller.. sure.

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:43 PM
well, it really depends on what the other TEs do.. if rucker turns out to be a beast this year.. sure.. or keller.. sure.

I'm going to hold you to that...:nod:

Johnny Bugmenot
04-27-2008, 08:44 PM

Ralph Wilson still owns it.

Tatonka
04-27-2008, 08:47 PM
You cannot compare this team to those...this team isn't even a playoff team. Doesn't really hold water...

um.. i can compare them. and i just did.

my point is that if you are strong in other areas, maybe TE isnt the end all to being a good team.

our secondary should be as good as any at this point with 3 new corners and will allen added to the mix.. good bye to average guys like youboty who just have not got it done.

our running backs are looking extremely good.

our wrs seem to have all the components needed to be studs now.. a legit guy across from evans.. who can go up and get the ball in the redzone, ala what a big TE could do.. but better.

our DL has received huge upgrades in stroud, williams, mccargo is a starter, and ellis is a very good dend that im excited about. the LB corps got some depth.

the oline got a little help.

and there will be other additions before training camp.

im very happy.

Nighthawk
04-27-2008, 08:50 PM

my point is that if you are strong in other areas, maybe TE isnt the end all to being a good team.

our secondary should be as good as any at this point with 3 new corners and will allen added to the mix.. good bye to average guys like youboty who just have not got it done.

our running backs are looking extremely good.

our wrs seem to have all the components needed to be studs now.. a legit guy across from evans.. who can go up and get the ball in the redzone, ala what a big TE could do.. but better.

our DL has received huge upgrades in stroud, williams, mccargo is a starter, and ellis is a very good dend that im excited about. the LB corps got some depth.

the oline got a little help.

and there will be other additions before training camp.

im very happy.

I'm very happy with the moves that Bills made, but I'm worried that this horrid offense is not much better. I hope I'm wrong and in a way, I expect to be wrong, but not giving it more help is a little dissappointing.

raphael120
04-27-2008, 08:53 PM

I dont know man...check out all the teams in the playoffs...they all had reliable playmaking TE's...

Devin
04-27-2008, 08:53 PM
aol sports just gave the Bills an A! One of only 3!

Not that it matters just saying.

Im with T everything I read about these guys is good. One guy says that johnson may have been the steal of Day 2.

Tatonka
04-27-2008, 08:54 PM
the oline is another year together.. trent is a year more experience.. no more rookie excuses.. we have a new o coordinator that cant possibly be worse than what we had.. and hardy gives a whole new dimension to the redzone options.. lynch might actually have the chance to catch the ball.

the O will improve regardless.. no way it doesnt.

Philagape
04-27-2008, 08:57 PM
As is the case most years, I'll wait and see. There is no such thing as a draft expert. Knowledge is gained only in hindsight. The NFL is such a different animal than college; that's why there are busts, every .... single .... year. And surprises.
One side is right in that this franchise has not earned the benefit of the doubt, but neither has any message board blowhard who talks like they know how a rookie's career will go the day he's drafted.

Mitchy moo
04-27-2008, 09:06 PM
We drafted all the pieces we thought we needed, just in a different order than expected. I don't know if they can all work out but I can tell you one thing, these guys better put there best foot forward or our feet will be in their ass.

yordad
04-27-2008, 09:21 PM

I realize most of you are bipolar and that you hate one pick and the FO blows then with the next pick they "have redeemed themselves". Pardon me if I take thier word over people who collect loose facts via the web and youtube.Who are you trying to convice? I like that you are staying positive, but gosh that must be hard.

"So we didnt get one of the TE's. Big deal." Well, I agree with that last part, it is a big deal. Our young QB liked the TEs, it would have been nice to give him one of the top 35ish TEs in the league. Fine over Kellen Davis?

It would have been nice to draft a FB if you plan to use a FB.

So, did they cut Youboty yet? They just drafted his replacement.. like 3 times.

We drafted a #4 DE (who I will not judge yet) when we had starting positions to address, and in some cases, pick of the litter.

Steve Johnson over DJ Hall?

After the first pick, I thought we would go O like 8 more times. And, don't even try any BPA agrument because these guys weren't on your radar.

I'm not saying I'm an expert. But, the guys who drafted these guys are. So, I expected more. And, if everything I have seen, and typed, and read is wrong, then I will be glad.

That said, I liked the first two picks. And, Wright is in trouble, because Omon might be good.

chernobylwraiths
04-27-2008, 09:30 PM
I dont know man...check out all the teams in the playoffs...they all had reliable playmaking TE's...

except

OpIv37
04-27-2008, 10:34 PM

You couldn't be more wrong. There are two types of fans: fans who try to look objectively at what we've done or haven't done in the off-season to decide if it's been enough or not, and those who twist what we've done or haven't done to make it look like enough, regardless of the reality of the situation.

The facts are that the D looks better but we added Teyo Johnson and James Hardy to the #30 ranked offense. No one who's being objective can possibly look at that and think it's been enough. It's completely illogical.

When you give me one good reason why the offense will be good enough based on menial changes, then maybe your opinion will be as valid as the so called "pessimists." Some people on this board have the attitude that all opinions are equal even when the facts support some opinions a lot more than they support others. It's insanity- not all opinions are equally valid.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-27-2008, 10:55 PM
To put it bluntly, Op, what would it take for you to shut up?

It seems like nothing this team will do will ever please you, so here. Put up or shut up. What will it take for you to be happy? Name names. Who do they sigh, and who do they jettison?

OpIv37
04-27-2008, 10:59 PM
To put it bluntly, Op, what would it take for you to shut up?

It seems like nothing this team will do will ever please you, so here. Put up or shut up. What will it take for you to be happy? Name names. Who do they sigh, and who do they jettison?

Winning will make me happy- that's all it takes. This team hasn't done that in what- a dozen years or so? More?

You can sit there and say "well, there was nobody out there we could have gotten who would make this team better." And that may very well be true. But you know what? That doesn't make the results any better on Sunday afternoons. So you can sit there and make excuses for the FO all day, but we still won't be winning.

And I don't know why you're turning this back on me. You come out with a ridiculous comment like "our main offensive problem was the red zone" when we were ranked 30th in total offense, but then you try to duck it by attacking my attitude when you get called out.

Just win. It takes more than adding James Hardy and Teyo Johnson to the 30th ranked offense to win.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-27-2008, 11:01 PM
Just win. It takes more than adding James Hardy and Teyo Johnson to the 30th ranked offense to win.
What crystal ball told you that?

Meathead
04-27-2008, 11:28 PM
is there an unofficial bills front office?

tat2dmike77
04-27-2008, 11:40 PM
I see OP is in midseason form already

SabreEleven
04-27-2008, 11:51 PM
What do the Bills and everybody else on this board have in common?

None of them have been in the playoffs for 8 years.

jamze132
04-28-2008, 04:23 AM

I guess I am the third type of fan, one who likes to think positive and negative. I am a hybrid! I should go and try out for Bobby April!

Jan Reimers
04-28-2008, 05:02 AM
They are way smarter than us when they are in their right minds. But I think a brain-snatching alien invasion, mass psychosis, confusion and chaos caused by bad bottled water, or some form of collective brain fart overcame them in the 4th round, and then passed.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2008, 05:44 AM
They are way smarter than us when they are in their right minds. But I think a brain-snatching alien invasion, mass psychosis, confusion and chaos caused by bad bottled water, or some form of collective brain fart overcame them in the 4th round, and then passed.

I have read more and more positive comments on Corner, Jan.

I would not quite give up yet.

Philagape
04-28-2008, 03:24 PM

The two types of fans are 1. those who discuss the team in unbiased analysis, not automatically giving them the benefit of the doubt, and 2. cheerleaders.

shelby
04-28-2008, 03:26 PM
i'm fine with being a cheerleader.
:jill:

To each their own, that's what makes this place so interesting.

X-Era
04-28-2008, 03:36 PM

:clap:

don137
04-28-2008, 04:15 PM
The funny thing is people complain that the Bills reached for a player and then others complain they should of traded up for this guy.
What they don't know is what really goes on in the war room. The Bills may of "reached" for a player because they saw a big drop off after him in a certain position or they heard team X or team Y was interested in him. They also may of tried to trade up for certain players but could not find any takers.
I can see criticizing TDs picks because other than 2001 his drafts were putrid but this regime is getting nothing but praise in the media.
Yes, its been 9 years but this team has truly made great strides since TD left. Without the cash flow of Dallas or Wahington it was going to take a few years. Now, they Bills are ready to make a serious run for the post season.
As Marv Levy once said. Those who listen to the fans will soon be sitting with them.

mayotm
04-28-2008, 05:10 PM
The funny thing is people complain that the Bills reached for a player and then others complain they should of traded up for this guy.
What they don't know is what really goes on in the war room. The Bills may of "reached" for a player because they saw a big drop off after him in a certain position or they heard team X or team Y was interested in him. They also may of tried to trade up for certain players but could not find any takers.
I can see criticizing TDs picks because other than 2001 his drafts were putrid but this regime is getting nothing but praise in the media.
Yes, its been 9 years but this team has truly made great strides since TD left. Without the cash flow of Dallas or Wahington it was going to take a few years. Now, they Bills are ready to make a serious run for the post season.
As Marv Levy once said. Those who listen to the fans will soon be sitting with them.Exactly. They have access to all sorts of information that we don't: failed drug tests, character issues the media doesn't know about, etc. There are reasons why some players slip. There are some very knowledgeable people that post here. However, those of you that think you know more than the NFL FO's and coaches are ignorant.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2008, 05:49 PM
The two types of fans are 1. those who discuss the team in unbiased analysis, not automatically giving them the benefit of the doubt, and 2. cheerleaders.

3. Those that want to and prefer to ***** about everything and don't want to listen to any reason.

Or in other words, the 180 opposite of your #2. And yes, those people do exist.

OpIv37
04-28-2008, 08:53 PM
What crystal ball told you that?

Crystal ball? No.

How about Teyo Johnson's past performance and the fact that our WR's catch the ball 5 yards past the LOS on average. It doesn't take a genius or a clairvoyant to look at that and realize those additions aren't enough.

Philagape
04-28-2008, 10:14 PM
3. Those that want to and prefer to ***** about everything and don't want to listen to any reason.

Or in other words, the 180 opposite of your #2. And yes, those people do exist.

Those fall under #1. I didn't say they were always right.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2008, 05:49 AM
Those fall under #1. I didn't say they were always right.

No, those are biased, not unbiased. They are just biased towards *****in' and not blind optimism.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-29-2008, 07:06 AM
Crystal ball? No.

How about Teyo Johnson's past performance and the fact that our WR's catch the ball 5 yards past the LOS on average. It doesn't take a genius or a clairvoyant to look at that and realize those additions aren't enough. Bologna. Yes it does.

You can't tell me that adding a 6'5" receiver will undoubtedly have no impact before he even steps on the field. Look at what the Patriots by adding Randy Moss last year. I'm not saying James Hardy is the same as Randy Moss, but I'm also not saying that the Bills are going 16-0.

Some of us are willing to reserve judgment on some things until the games are actually played instead of pooh-poohing everything as "not enough" the moment it happens. Like I said, the challenge is on you: what should they have done that would help this team, in your eyes, "win?" How much would it take? Who should they have signed? A new QB? What TE would you magically conjure out of nowhere? You didn't answer me... maybe because you think this team is perennially doomed.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-29-2008, 07:43 AM
Not only are they smarter than anyone here, me in particular, I have absolutely no influence on who they pick up or draft. I can like or dislike what the team does, but I have no influence on what the team does.

eyedog
04-29-2008, 07:57 AM
FO is smarter for the most part, and they should be, but they make mistakes also.

Anybody who watches college football could have told you Bryant Mckinnine was a better player than the slow and lazy Mike Williams.

I know but but but he had a bad attitude and didn't want to play in Buffalo. Well to freaking bad. That pick alone was the start of the Donablow demise.

madness
04-29-2008, 07:59 AM
Not only are they smarter than anyone here, me in particular, I have absolutely no influence on who they pick up or draft. I can like or dislike what the team does, but I have no influence on what the team does.

It's like a nagging wife... it doesn't matter how much she *****es, she still gets tuned out.

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Bologna. Yes it does.

You can't tell me that adding a 6'5" receiver will undoubtedly have no impact before he even steps on the field. Look at what the Patriots by adding Randy Moss last year. I'm not saying James Hardy is the same as Randy Moss, but I'm also not saying that the Bills are going 16-0.

Some of us are willing to reserve judgment on some things until the games are actually played instead of pooh-poohing everything as "not enough" the moment it happens. Like I said, the challenge is on you: what should they have done that would help this team, in your eyes, "win?" How much would it take? Who should they have signed? A new QB? What TE would you magically conjure out of nowhere? You didn't answer me... maybe because you think this team is perennially doomed.

I never said "no impact". I said it's not going to have enough of an impact to make the offense good. Don't put words in my mouth. I don't think you have a very good concept of just how inept this offense was last year. It's quite possible for us to improve and still completely suck. "Better" does not equal "good enough."

I don't know what else they could have done. Maybe there is nothing else they could have done. But that doesn't change the fact that at the end of the day, the improvements to our offense weren't enough and our offense is still going to suck on Sunday afternoons.

Some of us choose to spend the off-season looking analytically at where the team was last season and what they've done to improve, and aren't afraid to make predictions on what we conclude. I hope the addition of Teyo Johnson and James Hardy make our offense good, but it's ridiculous to look at it objectively and analytically and come to that conclusion.

You're assuming it takes a crystal ball to conclude that players won't do something that they've never proven they can do, and it's simply ignorant.