• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coach Sal
    • Aug 2006

Bills OL Bell puts father Karl "Mailman" Malone behind him

OL Bell drafted by Bills; puts father Karl Malone behind him
    By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP)—Demetrius Bell is no longer trying to follow in the footsteps of his father—basketball great Karl Malone—after the two-sport college athlete was drafted by the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.
    Nor does the swingman-turned-offensive lineman care whether “The Mailman” notices.

The two have been estranged for most of Bell’s life. And Bell, who switched from basketball to football three years ago at Northwestern State University, doesn’t expect that to change after he was selected with the 219th overall pick.

“I wouldn’t say it’s disappointing. All of that’s behind me now,” Bell said when asked if it mattered that he couldn’t share the achievement with Malone. “I feel good I made it this far. Nothing against him.”

Bell, the son of Gloria Williams, was 18 when he first made contact with Malone, according to the notes provided by the NFL. At the time, Malone told Bell that, “It was too late for him to be his father and that Bell would `earn his money on his own,”’ the NFL notes said.

Malone could not be reached for comment. As for Bell, he’s happy to have made it this far on his own.
    more........
    Click to listen:

Buffalo Bills Now! and NFL Now! podcasts
    And every Saturday at 11am on WGR

"A good name is more desirable than great riches, and high esteem is better than silver and gold."

Class Character Commitment Consistency Courage
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Bills OL Bell puts father Karl "Mailman" Malone behind him

wow.. how do you say that to your own son.

carl malone can go ahead and die.
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Lexwhat
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Tatonka
      wow.. how do you say that to your own son.

carl malone can go ahead and die.
      You're telling me.

Malone is piece of sh**.

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

That's harsh. What a dick.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Luisito23
          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
          • Apr 2003

I never knew Malone was such a classless scumbag!....Now I'm glad that POS never got a ring....Even after jumping on the Lakers vanwagon........F*** him Bell, you don't need that MF anyways....And welcome to B-LO!!!....
          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• The Spaz
            • Mar 2003

Wow man. I'm going to be rooting for this kid as everyone should be. In case some people don't know you can watch an interview slash profile at www.draftguys.tv

Comment

• Turf
              • Jul 2002

Wow, one hell of a human being there. Sheesh. Makes you want to stand up and root for the kid.
              Lou Saban: You can get it done, you can get it done. And what’s more, you’ve gotta get it done.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Maybe there is more to the story?

Did Malone know he had a son for 18 years?

Comment

• The Spaz
                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by TacklingDummy
                  Maybe there is more to the story?
                  Like Malone not wanting to be his father? It's sure not the kids fault.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                    H to the 12:20
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by The Spaz
                    Like Malone not wanting to be his father? It's sure not the kids fault.
                    The article also suggests that Cheryl Ford (WNBA) could be another illigitimate child of KM (I guess she could be the mother's daughter w/a different father). Either way, this really perpetuates the stereotype that NBA players are the most notorious athletes in spreading their seeds around carelessly.

Comment

• colin
                      Drew's my hero!
                      • Jul 2002

don't diss the mailman if you don't know all the facts!!

it's the woman's choice to have the kid, the father doesn't even have to know.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by colin
                        don't diss the mailman if you don't know all the facts!!

it's the woman's choice to have the kid, the father doesn't even have to know.
                        BS!

Comment

• Luisito23
                          Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                          • Apr 2003

If he was here right now, I would punch him straight in the mug....
                          "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                          ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                          ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                          ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• colin
                            Drew's my hero!
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jeff1220
                            BS!
                            uh, are you not familiar with the law? it is the woman's perogative.

Comment

• Jeff1220
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by colin
                              uh, are you not familiar with the law? it is the woman's perogative.
                              Despite this being a moral relativist society that would like to think that killing is an option, many people still do not see it as such.

"It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish."

"America needs no words from me to see how your decision in Roe v. Wade has deformed a great nation. The so-called right to abortion has pitted mothers against their children and women against men. It has sown violence and discord at the heart of the most intimate human relationships. It has aggravated the derogation of the father's role in an increasingly fatherless society. It has portrayed the greatest of gifts -- a child -- as a competitor, an intrusion, and an inconvenience. It has nominally accorded mothers unfettered dominion over the independent lives of their physically dependent sons and daughters"
                              And, in granting this unconscionable power, it has exposed many women to unjust and selfish demands from their husbands or other sexual partners. Human rights are not a privilege conferred by government. They are every human being's entitlement by virtue of his humanity. The right to life does not depend, and must not be declared to be contingent, on the pleasure of anyone else, not even a parent or a sovereign."

-Mother Theresa

Comment

Working...
                              X