Ingtar33, what's your insight on Griese?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr. Miyagi
    Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Ingtar33, what's your insight on Griese?

Well, at least before Miami signed Seau, they were in the running for Brian Griese after he's cut on June 1st. I would like to pick your brain and your expertise on what is the skinny on Griese.

To make this a Buffalo related thread, if Miami does pick up Griese, how much of a threat will he pose to the Bills?
  • Ingtar33
    Dances With Buffaloes
    • Sep 2002

I've actually been a bit of a fan of Griese, and think he got a bad wrap in Denver. It was to his misfortune to follow a living legend, and the simple fact is Denver was quite unforgiving when it turned out their team became quite mortal at home with Griese at the helm.

He has an ok arm, not bad brains, and better accuracy than Fiedler. Personally I'd be amazed if Griese didn't beat Fiedler out for the starting job... he'd definitely look better than Fiedler in practice. Yet at the same time Griese (like Fiedler) is not someone who can carry your team to victory.

What would they get in him? A better pure passer with questionable leadership qualities. A guy without the scrambling abilities of "dumbo" and who is a minor locker room cancer. The reason he's so interested in Miami is because there is little interest in him... and with Miami he knows he has a good chance to kick Fiedler out of the starting spot. That crap he's been feeding the media about being content with being the backup is crap... just look at his behavior in Denver whenever Shanahan threatened him with Frerotte . Or look at the fact he wants out of Denver as fast as he can go the moment Plumber got there.

If Miami thinks they're getting a quiet backup then they're fooling themselves. He wants to start, and will give them a QB controversy like our Flutie-Johnson thing the minute he walks into the door.
    My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Doc
      • Dec 2002

Griese failed with a better offense and OC than he'll have in Miami. That pretty much tells the story right there.

Comment

• sTp Scott
        • Mar 2003

anything is better than the Fiddler!!!!

Comment

• Doc
          • Dec 2002

Not Griese. When you look at the Dols' offense, it's amazing what Fiddler was able to do with it.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

A locker room cancer? I like the sound of that.
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• The_Philster
              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Ingtar33
              If Miami thinks they're getting a quiet backup then they're fooling themselves. He wants to start, and will give them a QB controversy like our Flutie-Johnson thing the minute he walks into the door.

I love the sounds of that happening in Miami
              The Buffalo Pro Cheer Blog...Positive coverage of Buffalo's Pro Cheerleaders since 2001!

Comment

• Ingtar33
                Dances With Buffaloes
                • Sep 2002

I think Miami fans are a little delusional about Feidler... the injury he suffered last year permanently affected his throwing motion.

You can see it on tape... his motion changed as did his grip. Those screws in his hand must have really affected his hand motion/flexibility and strength. You can also see it in the results. Feidler player awful coming back.

He wouldn't have changed his throwing motion, and learned a new grip on the football if this was a temporary problem... these might be permanent effects from what I heard was a near career threatening hand injury.
                My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Wow. Ingtar...could you post that at Finhell and pop their remaining balloons???

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• TigerJ
                    • Jul 2002

This sounds better and better!
                    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Earthquake Enyart
                      Legendary Zoner
                      • Jul 2002

Maybe Wanny will trade their #1 for Rick Mirer like he did in Chicago.

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                        Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

Thanks for the insight Ingrar33. With all due respect to the others, you're the one I think with the most football knowledge in anyone I've ever talked to, figuratively speaking.

So in a nutshell, you think Griese would be an upgrade for the Dolphins from the standpoint of a QB on the field, but at the same time he will be a minor downgrade in the locker room.

Don't you think if you were Miami, you wouldn't pull the trigger on Griese? It seems like no one else wants him, except maybe Dallas, which leads to my other question in a second. Griese has as much/less mobility than Fiedler, a better arm but just as much/less brains on the field, far less leadership, and worse influence in the locker room. And if he comes in to Miami he would probably ask for more $$$ than Fiedler is getting. What exactly are the incentives for Miami to pick him up at all?

And back to my other question, Dallas is rumored to want to bring in Griese. Parcells is a smart coach. Why would he for the same reasons I stated above want to bring in Griese? Even though he's an upgrade from Hutchinson? Are they looking at a veteran QB just to groom Hutchinson or whoever they draft for a few years and kick him out the door later?

None of this makes any sense to me.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                          Dances With Buffaloes
                          • Sep 2002

Well, I wasn't saying that I wouldn't bring in Griese... I was just highlighting what I thought was a fairly possible outcome if Griese didn't win the starting job. Griese would ***** and moan, and try to undermine Feidler.

The thing is it might not be all that big a problem if he beats Feidler out for the starting job. I don't think Feidler has it in him to cause a big problem. The same goes in Dallas. If Griese takes the starting position, and "Hutch" doesn't complain then there is no problem.

Besides, do any of you doubt there is a player in this league Parcells couldn't control?

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• Mr. Miyagi
                            Lecter's Little *****

• Sep 2002

What scares me is that if Griese goes to Miami, he'll most likely beat out Fiedler for the starting job. Will then Miami's offense be suddenly a threat to us? I mean no one here is worried about Miami's offense at this point with Fiedler at the helm. But they already have Ricky Williams to control the clock. If they bring in Griese they will be just another offense that we will have to start concerning about.

That scares me.

Comment

• Ingtar33
                              Dances With Buffaloes
                              • Sep 2002

I'm not sure if it will be an improvement. Griese would give them a more consistent threat, as he is much more accurate and has a slightly better arm. Yet Griese is not likely to lead any team into a come from behind victory... furthermore he is much more likely (than Feidler) to make mental mistakes, and will throw dumb ints (at a much higher rate than Feidler).

Miami with Griese at the helm worries me a little in the sense that he would make their passing attack much more formidable than it currently is... yet can they win more games? I'm not sure, as the mistakes and lack of leadership will definitely sabotage the aerial improvement.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X