PDA

View Full Version : Bills sign FB Mike Viti, a one man army from Army!

blackonyx89
04-28-2008, 08:32 AM
According to WGR55, Mike can bench press 420, a devastating hitter and has muscles on top of muscles. Here's a tidbit on this kid. Could be a steal!

http://pitchright.blogspot.com/2007/08/pitch-rights-first-annual-all-badass.html

PECKERWOOD
04-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Very cool, I hope he works out. Would rather have him on our roster than over seas.

colin
04-28-2008, 08:37 AM
total brick sh@t house.

if he can be our fullback then that's great. imo fullbacks are a very low priority position, but if over the game he is brining hurt to LBs then late in the 4th when marshawn is running on full beast mode this guy will just be picking dudes off.

Mr. Miyagi
04-28-2008, 08:39 AM
LOL "muscles on top of muscles".

blackonyx89
04-28-2008, 09:01 AM
LOL "muscles on top of muscles".

I can't wait to see him destroy a linebacker if he makes the team and knock him out!!! :punk: :stretcher

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-28-2008, 09:10 AM
does anybody knowthe rules about this:question: The Detroit Lions took a guy from Army also. They went to the Army Academy West Point, NY. Their soldiers first don't they have to finish out they're term of duty to the Army before they can play in the NFL. :idunno:

PcA125
04-28-2008, 09:13 AM
I think I saw something about this on sports center. The army changed the requirements I think. Some people can have a reserve/ recruiting position instead. Not totally sure about this though

PECKERWOOD
04-28-2008, 09:26 AM
does anybody knowthe rules about this:question: The Detroit Lions took a guy from Army also. They went to the Army Academy West Point, NY. Their soldiers first don't they have to finish out they're term of duty to the Army before they can play in the NFL. :idunno:

Nope, the rules are different now. If they get drafted or signed by a team, they have the right to pursue that option. Afterall, who would want to play for the military if they didn't let you go pro? I think they have to work as a recruiter in the offseason, though.

kernowboy
04-28-2008, 09:32 AM
This might make up for the Schmitt miss

From Day1 he's a significant upgrade over Barnes/Evans

kernowboy
04-28-2008, 09:36 AM
Is Adam Ballard of Navy still available?

The Spaz
04-28-2008, 09:39 AM

I think he is but if it's true the Bills told Viti he would be the only FB then I don't think he will be coming to B-lo.

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2008, 09:39 AM
I am not sure, but they don't have the same commitment loophole the Army does, at least I don't think they do.

Romes
04-28-2008, 09:45 AM
In the past, athletes from West Point were required to serve five years of active duty in the military before they could begin their professional careers, but military rules have changed, and cadets with the ability to play sports professionally are now allowed to do so while helping out with recruiting efforts for two years.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/04/27/lions-take-armys-campbell/

Bert102176
04-28-2008, 10:05 AM
it's only the Army that has the loop hole so anyone from the navy or airforce have to fullfill their duty to the service before playing football

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 10:08 AM
According to WGR55, Mike can bench press 420, a devastating hitter and has muscles on top of muscles. Here's a tidbit on this kid. Could be a steal!

http://pitchright.blogspot.com/2007/08/pitch-rights-first-annual-all-badass.html
I hope he aims for Wilforks knees and then claims he got pushed from behind.

blackonyx89
04-28-2008, 10:14 AM

LOL! FUNNY!!!
:poop:

colin
04-28-2008, 10:15 AM

was that your knee big guy? my bad.

Michael82
04-28-2008, 01:04 PM
Now that's the kind of tough SOB that I wanted to come here. He looks like he'll be a mean, kick ass FB blocking for Marshawn. :up:

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Now that's the kind of tough SOB that I wanted to come here. He looks like he'll be a mean, kick ass FB blocking for Marshawn. :up:

Pffftt!!! Can he do this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HpiMUKfSKIQ

blackonyx89
04-28-2008, 01:14 PM

OOOOOOOHHHH YEAHHHH, DIG IT!!!

Mike Viti, one man army, welcome new Buffalo Bill. Your mission? Seek and destroy LB's!!!!

DraftBoy
04-28-2008, 01:17 PM
Adam Ballard has decided to not pursue a career in the NFL.

mysticsoto
04-28-2008, 01:18 PM

I suspect it might be between him and Xavier Omon for the position...

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 01:20 PM
I suspect it might be between him and Xavier Omon for the position...

I would throw in Wright in the mix. He's big and can catch.

mysticsoto
04-28-2008, 01:50 PM
I would throw in Wright in the mix. He's big and can catch.

Yes, I thought they were about the same size, but now I'm confused:

Could someone tell me how big Omon is?

nfldraftcountdown has him listed as 5'10 3/4, 228 lbs

but

buffalobills.com has him listed as 6'3, 245 lbs

That has to be a mistake at billszone.com, right?

scout.com has Omon at 5'11", 221 lbs...

Dr. Lecter
04-28-2008, 01:53 PM
Everything I read had him around 5'11" and 220.

I think he is a HB.

deathadder
04-28-2008, 02:02 PM
I was hoping we would grab this guy ever since his interview on Sirius. This guy holds the Army record for the bench press at 470 pounds! Now I know bench pressing is nothing for football smarts, but boy I can't wait for this guy to start killing LBs and DL for Lynch! I guarantee he not only makes our team, but Starts on openning day as our FB!!! I love this signing!!!

Michael82
04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
I was hoping we would grab this guy ever since his interview on Sirius. This guy holds the Army record for the bench press at 470 pounds! Now I know bench pressing is nothing for football smarts, but boy I can't wait for this guy to start killing LBs and DL for Lynch! I guarantee he not only makes our team, but Starts on openning day as our FB!!! I love this signing!!!
:drool:

shelby
04-28-2008, 02:55 PM
Excellent!
:bf1:

ddaryl
04-28-2008, 03:08 PM
Well there is a negative here with Viti. However he is still worth the gamble, the guy seems to play with a huge heart.

http://army.scout.com/2/733996.html

Mike Viti (http://army.scout.com/a.z?s=239&p=8&c=1&nid=3188278), fullback
NFLdraftscout.com has Viti ranked 24th out of 93 fullbacks, which isn't bad, considering he rarely ran the ball during his career. Viti, 5-foot-9, 242 pounds, could be one of the toughest players in college football, but is playing on two surgically-repaired knees. He could be the longest longshot of the Army group. But with his heart and and determination, you never know. Viti likely could get a free agent invite to training camp.

my next question is there an advantage for a FB ot be a little shorter. He is 5'9" but 242lbs... IMO that would mean he could get down lower and stand LB up.

seanbillsfan
04-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Pffftt!!! Can he do this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HpiMUKfSKIQ

That was the thinnest wall ive ever seen :pee:

ParanoidAndroid
04-28-2008, 06:04 PM
total brick sh@t house.

if he can be our fullback then that's great. imo fullbacks are a very low priority position, but if over the game he is brining hurt to LBs then late in the 4th when marshawn is running on full beast mode this guy will just be picking dudes off.

I don't think I've ever heard a man refer to anothrt man as a "brick house.":limp:

yordad
04-28-2008, 10:59 PM
total brick sh@t house.

if he can be our fullback then that's great. imo fullbacks are a very low priority position, but if over the game he is brining hurt to LBs then late in the 4th when marshawn is running on full beast mode this guy will just be picking dudes off.If that was the case, we would put someone else on the field. If we put a FB on the field, it is because our coaches feel he gives a greater chance to be successful then an extra anything else. You act like we could go out there w 10 people and not notice.

If he was pointless, they would put in a #3 WR. But, if you neglect any position, and field a scrub, that position will generally have the lowest impact on a game. Do you think the Bucs thought Mike Alstott was insignificant?

That said, I never seen the guy play. But, he sounds cool. Here is a good link...
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/mike-viti?id=4459

TigerJ
04-28-2008, 11:13 PM
Everything I read had him around 5'11" and 220.

I think he is a HB.BuffaloBills.com seems to be way off on several rookie weights. Chris Ellis was listed at 6'4" and 220lbs. The 6'4" was right. The 220 lbs was off by about 40 lbs.

Al the Bills Fan
04-28-2008, 11:25 PM
Like the signing! It would be nice to have a FB to beat up on opposing LBs and open up some hole for Lynch.

blackonyx89
04-29-2008, 10:04 AM

Cool!!! That was 50lbs. heavier than the guys at GR55 said!

:poop:

madness
04-29-2008, 10:23 AM
We just "officially" signed him per Vtext.

justasportsfan
04-29-2008, 10:38 AM
my next question is there an advantage for a FB ot be a little shorter. He is 5'9" but 242lbs... IMO that would mean he could get down lower and stand LB up.
the shorter they are the closer they are to Wilforks knees..... when accidentally pushed from behind.

The Spaz
04-29-2008, 10:43 AM
He's about Mike Karney's size.

madness
04-29-2008, 10:48 AM
Bills Agree to Terms...

With Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert re-introducing a true fullback to the offensive scheme, Buffalo had some additions to make to the roster. They already have Jonathan Evans who served on the practice squad last year, and they signed veteran free agent Darian Barnes. Earlier this week they also agreed to terms with undrafted Army fullback Mike Viti.
Provided he passes his physical later this week, Viti will officially sign with the club before rookie minicamp this weekend.
A fullback in every sense of the word, Viti was known for his body-jolting blocks at West Point. Blessed with a low center of gravity, Viti is a very effective lead blocker through the hole.
"He's a good blocker between the tackles," said Bills Coordinator of College Scouting Doug Majeski. "He's a classic isolation fullback that will go up there and hit somebody in line."
At his pro day Viti ran a 4.86 40-time and had a vertical leap of 31 inches. His most impressive number was the bench press where he put up 225 pounds 34 times. Only three fullbacks in the last nine years at the NFL combine have put up more reps than Viti.
"There is no place left for him to get any bigger," said Majeski of the muscle-bound Viti. "It's funny because you can see even in pads that his legs have muscles, his torso has muscles. Everything is muscle on him. Sometimes you scout a kid and write that he could be a little bigger up top, but he can't get any bigger."
Though he has a history of knee problems, which included a surgery after his sophomore season, Viti never missed a game in his college career.
What's most impressive about Viti is his lofty status at West Point.
"He's the third-highest ranked cadet in the corps of cadets," said Majeski. "He's in charge of 1,000 cadets. He's a top flight leader that has a bright future in the military. He's very smart in school and football. A tremendous work ethic."

And that ranking earned him the complete respect of his teammates.
"Everyone on the team voted for him as captain and they have the biggest roster in college football," said Majeski. "He had every vote."
Now Viti will see if he can win over Dick Jauron and the Bills offensive staff this spring.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6045

blackonyx89
04-29-2008, 11:03 AM
Bills Agree to Terms...

With Bills offensive coordinator Turk Schonert re-introducing a true fullback to the offensive scheme, Buffalo had some additions to make to the roster. They already have Jonathan Evans who served on the practice squad last year, and they signed veteran free agent Darian Barnes. Earlier this week they also agreed to terms with undrafted Army fullback Mike Viti.
Provided he passes his physical later this week, Viti will officially sign with the club before rookie minicamp this weekend.
A fullback in every sense of the word, Viti was known for his body-jolting blocks at West Point. Blessed with a low center of gravity, Viti is a very effective lead blocker through the hole.
"He's a good blocker between the tackles," said Bills Coordinator of College Scouting Doug Majeski. "He's a classic isolation fullback that will go up there and hit somebody in line."
At his pro day Viti ran a 4.86 40-time and had a vertical leap of 31 inches. His most impressive number was the bench press where he put up 225 pounds 34 times. Only three fullbacks in the last nine years at the NFL combine have put up more reps than Viti.
"There is no place left for him to get any bigger," said Majeski of the muscle-bound Viti. "It's funny because you can see even in pads that his legs have muscles, his torso has muscles. Everything is muscle on him. Sometimes you scout a kid and write that he could be a little bigger up top, but he can't get any bigger."

Though he has a history of knee problems, which included a surgery after his sophomore season, Viti never missed a game in his college career. What's most impressive about Viti is his lofty status at West Point.
"He's the third-highest ranked cadet in the corps of cadets," said Majeski. "He's in charge of 1,000 cadets. He's a top flight leader that has a bright future in the military. He's very smart in school and football. A tremendous work ethic."

And that ranking earned him the complete respect of his teammates.
"Everyone on the team voted for him as captain and they have the biggest roster in college football," said Majeski. "He had every vote."
Now Viti will see if he can win over Dick Jauron and the Bills offensive staff this spring.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6045

This kid has HEART and Guts !!!!

Coach Sal
04-29-2008, 11:29 AM
Here is a picture of Cadet Viti in high school as a champion wrestler.......sir:

Also.........

.....was voted the "Most Athletic" member of his senior class...National Honor Society member, student council participant, two-time class president and served as a sports writer for the student newspaper.

Seems like a really good kid. I hope can make it.

http://www.chatshoppe.com/berwickwrestling/history/graphics/portrait_viti01.jpg

blackonyx89
04-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Here is a picture of Cadet Viti in high school as a champion wrestler.......sir:

Also.........

Nice Find!!!

colin
04-29-2008, 11:57 AM
If that was the case, we would put someone else on the field. If we put a FB on the field, it is because our coaches feel he gives a greater chance to be successful then an extra anything else. You act like we could go out there w 10 people and not notice.

If he was pointless, they would put in a #3 WR. But, if you neglect any position, and field a scrub, that position will generally have the lowest impact on a game. Do you think the Bucs thought Mike Alstott was insignificant?

That said, I never seen the guy play. But, he sounds cool. Here is a good link...
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/mike-viti?id=4459

way to strawman dude.

it is a LOW PRIORITY position. very few draftpicks and almost no high ones go to FB. fewer and fewer teams play w a fullback.

we sign wr's to big contracts and draft them high all the time.

clearly all the evidence shows fullbacks are a low priority position.
i hope this kid, or someone else on our roster, can play and contribute, but the won't be there all the time by any stretch.

andy -- brick ***** house is very different from brick house. look it up, you might learn something

blackonyx89
04-29-2008, 12:20 PM

Also.........

Kind of looks like Sean Astin from Rudy. Right?

blackonyx89
04-29-2008, 12:50 PM

Also.........

Rudy,Rudy,Rudy or in his case, Viti, Viti, Viti!!!

justasportsfan
04-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Tim Anderson was a wrestler too.:ill:

Mad Max
04-29-2008, 10:33 PM
The Black Lion.:whip:

http://www.coachwyatt.com/blmikeviti.htm

blackonyx89
04-30-2008, 08:15 AM
The Black Lion.:whip:

http://www.coachwyatt.com/blmikeviti.htm

ROOOOOOOAR!!!

Mitchy moo
04-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Is Hamdan feeling threatened by having a US army guy there?