PDA

View Full Version : Armchair Scout – Bills Draft Evaluation

The Spaz
04-28-2008, 11:23 AM
Bills fans had to be happy with the talent the organization scooped up on day one of the draft. Buffalo addressed two of their top positional needs with top flight talent, and as they have done in years prior they trusted the value on their board in making their final eight selections.

Coming off a busy day two for the Bills here are some of my feelings on the direction the Bills took this past weekend.

1st pick - Leodis McKelvin - CB - Troy
The belief that Buffalo would take a cornerback if they stayed at 11 came to fruition, and fortunately for the Bills they got to take the best one on their board as no cornerbacks had been selected until Buffalo was on the clock.

McKelvin's athletic ability is off the charts. He can turn and run with just about any receiver and has the leaping ability to compete for balls with taller wideouts. What I like is his willingness to support the run, and his return ability is a bonus.

McKelvin has a promising career in front of him and should at the very least be the team's nickel corner come September.

2nd pick - James Hardy - WR - Indiana
With Devin Thomas off the board, I had no problem seeing James Hardy land in Buffalo's lap. The run on receivers came late and the Bills were one of the beneficiaries.

With ridiculous scoring production (36 TDs in 36 games) Hardy has the size (6'6") and ability to help end Buffalo's struggles in the red zone. There were times where he just took over games like the one against Penn State (14-142-2 TDs) last year.

The Bills investigated the character questions and found a player that basically raised himself and persevered to become a coveted NFL prospect. He's the odds on favorite to start opposite Lee Evans on the outside.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6042

kernowboy
04-28-2008, 11:24 AM
I think most people are delighted with Day1 of the draft

Saratoga Slim
04-28-2008, 11:50 AM
I am. I'm leaving the verdict open on round 4, but otherwise I really like what I've read about the guys we grabbed in rounds 5-7 as well.

Jan Reimers
04-28-2008, 12:54 PM
I am. I'm leaving the verdict open on round 4, but otherwise I really like what I've read about the guys we grabbed in rounds 5-7 as well.
I think our guys were half asleep during Round 4, and when someone said, "a Corner might be Fine," two cards got sent to the podium.