PDA

View Full Version : What are everyone's thoughts on the offseason as a whole?

Mudflap1
04-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I must say, I'm not impressed. Sure, maybe "2-3 years down the line this team might be good" (which we've heard every year this entire decade) may be the case, but does anyone see where the Buffalo Bills will be dramatically improved THIS COMING SEASON?

I don't.

The defense may be better. Certainly Stroud is a very nice upgrade, assuming he stays pretty healthy. Mitchell is a halfway decent linebacker, but definitely an upgrade over what we've got. McKelvin may in fact turn out to be good, but I'm not expecting him to be a starter opening day, and I'm not expecting him to be a big contributor this season. I think the defense may have improved to the point of being middle of the pack this season.

On offense, the Bills were 30th last season. I don't see where there are any big improvements. Hardy may turn out to be a good player, but I don't see him making a huge impact this season. If someone of the caliber of Calvin Johnson didn't have a huge impact last season, then I doubt Hardy will. If he's going to be good, it's going to take 2-3 years. Where is this offense going to improve? I know the answer everyone will say -- Turk Schonert. Well, none of us know if that will be true or not, so let's hope that's the case.

I'm sick of waiting. It's been since 1999 and counting. I just have the inevitable feeling it's going to be another 7-9/6-10 season, at best.

Jon

casdhf
04-28-2008, 12:01 PM
If the defense has improved, and the offense stayed the say, we should be a better team in general anyways.

Better field position should lead to more scoring opportunities alone. And the team finally has a red-zone threat.

I the the mark should be set at 9 wins.

BlackMetalNinja
04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
I think they made more of an attempt than in the past several years to really address the glaring holes the team had. For that, I'm quite pleased. Whether the attempts work out or not is of course a different story... for that we must wait and see.

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 12:02 PM
season.

On offense, the Bills were 30th last season. I don't see where there are any big improvements.
coaching.....hopefully or we're screwed and will be rebuilding again next year.

DraftBoy
04-28-2008, 12:03 PM
I thought FA was a pretty big success and the draft name wise leaves a lot to be desired. Im expecting improvement but the playoffs may be asking too much.

ddaryl
04-28-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm sorry how are we not significantly better this year ?

we were 7-9 last season with a harder schedule then this year (on paper) and a ton of injuries...

Edwards will be in his 2nd year. if he is the QB of the future he'll demostrate it.

We got a big WR that should generate us a couple more TD's this year and should free up Evans some.

We have vastly improve our DT situation, we will have a very improved LB corps considering Poz should actually play this year, and Mitchell

McKelvin was drafted at #11 to have an impact. I think he will.

and the coup de gra... so many of our backups actually recieved lots of playing time last year, so our depth should see improvements as well.

the wild card... New Offensive Coordinator who has already said he will do things differently. In fact he pretty much said he'd do all the things we as fans said were missing from last years playcalling.

I just can't accept negativity, so maybe its just me... but we'll be a much better team this year.

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 12:14 PM
we're better than last year with our players being healthy alone. Then there's the FA addition and the draft was above average.

ScottLawrence
04-28-2008, 12:18 PM
Our Success next year depends on how much Edwards/Offensive Playcalling improves and on Stroud staying healthy.

TacklingDummy
04-28-2008, 12:26 PM
Our Success next year depends on how much Edwards/Offensive Playcalling improves and on Stroud staying healthy.

And on Miami, Jets, KC, Oak, Den, St. Louis, Arizona still sucking. Those are 9 winnable games. But most of those teams improved more this off-season than Bills did.

Pinkerton Security
04-28-2008, 12:35 PM
DE - Denney and Kelsay are healthier. Schobel is Schobel, love it or not. Ellis will fill in for Hargrove. Improved significantly? probably not. Better than last year? We'll see.

DT- Stroud was not just a nice upgrade, he is a major change and will help. period. McCargo is rising, IMO.

LB - with Poz back, and with Mitchell taking over for Ellison, we now have 3 legit starters and 2 good backups (Ellison and Digi). Improved for sure.

DB - Tell me you wouldnt take McKelvin and William James over Kiwaukee "I've been playing for like 10 years and have 1 interception" Thomas and Webster. with a healthy Ko, we are improved, even if only marginally.

QB- Another year under Trent's belt is good. A new OC can go either way. Hard to tell.

RB - Jackson and Lynch are a very good combo. Not too much improvement needed, IMO.

WR- Hardy gives us that red zone target. People say "oh, but Calvin Johnson only had such and such..." True. But he also played on an offense where he had 3 guys on his team who each had at least 60 catches and 650 yards. We have a guy in Hardy who if he gets 50 catches and 600 yards, that might be enough, with Roscoe and Reed manning the slot positions, to improve our Offense. Cant be any worse than Reed as a starter, so an improvement in my eyes.

TE- Would liked to have seen a field stretcher. Gaines was my favorite TE. Perhaps a downgrade here, though we did get Anderson and Johnson.

OL - Another year together improves this solid unit. Would like to see Fowler replaced next year though.

To be improved in several areas, to me, means we are an improved team overall. Im looking forward to the fall, all you Nancies.

Mudflap1
04-28-2008, 12:38 PM
I'm sorry how are we not significantly better this year ?

we were 7-9 last season with a harder schedule then this year (on paper) and a ton of injuries...

Edwards will be in his 2nd year. if he is the QB of the future he'll demostrate it.

We got a big WR that should generate us a couple more TD's this year and should free up Evans some.

We have vastly improve our DT situation, we will have a very improved LB corps considering Poz should actually play this year, and Mitchell

McKelvin was drafted at #11 to have an impact. I think he will.

and the coup de gra... so many of our backups actually recieved lots of playing time last year, so our depth should see improvements as well.

the wild card... New Offensive Coordinator who has already said he will do things differently. In fact he pretty much said he'd do all the things we as fans said were missing from last years playcalling.

I just can't accept negativity, so maybe its just me... but we'll be a much better team this year.

All of the things you said are positives... if they work out. Chances are some will work out, but some may continue to be problems.

For instance, maybe Posluszny comes back and is good, but maybe Edwards continues to be an injury-proned quarterback. Maybe Schonert is better than Fairchild, but maybe McKelvin makes no impact this year.

We'll see. I'm just not "wowed" by this offseason. But I'll be there cheering in September. It's just getting old, the whole "wait 'til next year" vibe.

Jon

raphael120
04-28-2008, 12:42 PM
This season depends on 3 major things.

The injured players from last year who were supposed to be impactful (Simpson, Poz) will be.

Trent Edwards continues his improvements and keeps growing.

Turk Schonert puts his own stamp on this pathetic offense and utilizes his weapons. We have a smart QB in Edwards, we have a beast at RB, a speedster in Evans and Parrish and NOW we have our red zone threat in Hardy. We have all the pieces in the O-line (minus a playmaking TE i guess)..there is no reason for us to be near the bottom in offense again. I can understand if youre like the Bears and have no offense to rely on your defense, but Im sorry...we have too much talent on the offensive side of the ball to just play protect the lead. Balls to the wall, Turk.