PDA

View Full Version : The Answer's official draft grades

The Answer
04-28-2008, 12:42 PM
Round 1 - Leodis McKelvin CB
Grade: A+

This was a player that a lot of scouts had graded as a top 7 draft pick, and some suggest he could have been a top 3 pick overall if not for his lack of interceptions. Regardless this was an outstanding pick and he will contribute immediately as a CB and return man with Devin Hester potential. Also Troy has a solid track record as of late when it comes to producting nfl players (Demarcus Ware). Kudos to OBD for not taking a receiver this high and not trading down and missing out on this stud.

Round 2 - James Hardy WR
Grade A

Thankfully the OBD braintrust were patient (although reports are coming out they tried to trade up with the Giants) because this very well could be the best WR of the entire draft. Big, rangy player that was a beast during his college days should have an immediate impact in the redzone and free up Evans and Parrish to make plays downfield. Character concerns are the only reason he wasn't selected in the 1st round, but obviously this front office believes he's a good kid.

Round 3 - Chris Ellis DE
Grade B-

I'll be honest - at first I hated this pick, but the more scouting reports I've read about this kid, the more I think he will become a quality player and contribute in rotation. Not sure he'll ever be a true starter, but could develop into a top 2nd team player that will have a steady nfl career. All of a sudden our entire DL is very loaded and deep.

Round 4 - Reggie Corner CB
Grade D+

All this pick tells me is that Ashton Youboty is finished in Buffalo because there isn't going to be room on the roster for all of these DB's especially with McKelvin and the signing of Will James. Also a lot of people thought we were set with Greer and McGee as the starters but apparently Randy Moss thought otherwise.

Round 4 - Derek Fine TE

Grade C-

Clearly the front office doesn't plan on truely addressing the TE position until next year, after all you can't fix every whole in one offseason. Not sure if Fine will do anything in this league other than standout on ST, but considering our current TE depth chart he may end up starting at some point this season and if he does have any talent will have a chance to showcase it.

Round 5 Alvin Bowen LB

Grade C-

Given our current LB roster, the best Bowen can hope for at this point is making an impact as a ST or he will likely be inactive most of the season. Could be practice squad bound unless he has a very strong preseason.

Round 6 Xavier Omon RB
Grade D-

I would have went oline with this pick and I'm not sure why we took another young RB unless they are looking at converting this kid into a tight end. I'm guessing he will end up on the practice squad or just be camp fodder unless he has a Fred Jackson like performance in preseason.

Round 7 Demetrius Bell OL
Grade B+

Like this pick - and some scouts feel this was a player that could have easily been drafted as high as the 3rd round. Also keep in mind he has a strong athletic pedigree given his father was one of the greatest power forward in NBA history. Could a move to center be in the works?

Round 7 Steven Johnson WR
Grade A-

Another 7th round pick that we may have struck gold. A lot of scouts are already calling him the next Marques Colston and I'm not sure why he fell this far. Look for him to contribute immediately at ST and if he realizes his true potential this will be a major steal of the this decade.

Round 7 Kennard Cox CB
Grade D-

One pick away from 'Mr. Irrelevant'. See defintion of Camp Fodder.

Overal Grade: B-
Day 2 could have been a lot better on the surface but I have the feeling that in 3 years we are all going to look back as this draft being the one that finally put us back on top of the afc east with the first 2 picks alone, with the 2007 draft being the catalyst. Looks like the GM by commitee learned a lot from Levy during his brief 2 year run. The future is bright indeed.

~The Answer

Confused
04-28-2008, 01:00 PM
what was Steven Johnson's forty time?

mysticsoto
04-28-2008, 01:03 PM
what was Steven Johnson's forty time?

4.55 though I've heard he plays quicker than he times...

acehole
04-28-2008, 01:27 PM
Fix every hole not "Whole".

DA

Round 1 - Leodis McKelvin CB
Grade: A+

This was a player that a lot of scouts had graded as a top 7 draft pick, and some suggest he could have been a top 3 pick overall if not for his lack of interceptions. Regardless this was an outstanding pick and he will contribute immediately as a CB and return man with Devin Hester potential. Also Troy has a solid track record as of late when it comes to producting nfl players (Demarcus Ware). Kudos to OBD for not taking a receiver this high and not trading down and missing out on this stud.

Round 2 - James Hardy WR
Grade A

Thankfully the OBD braintrust were patient (although reports are coming out they tried to trade up with the Giants) because this very well could be the best WR of the entire draft. Big, rangy player that was a beast during his college days should have an immediate impact in the redzone and free up Evans and Parrish to make plays downfield. Character concerns are the only reason he wasn't selected in the 1st round, but obviously this front office believes he's a good kid.

Round 3 - Chris Ellis DE
Grade B-

I'll be honest - at first I hated this pick, but the more scouting reports I've read about this kid, the more I think he will become a quality player and contribute in rotation. Not sure he'll ever be a true starter, but could develop into a top 2nd team player that will have a steady nfl career. All of a sudden our entire DL is very loaded and deep.

Round 4 - Reggie Corner CB
Grade D+

All this pick tells me is that Ashton Youboty is finished in Buffalo because there isn't going to be room on the roster for all of these DB's especially with McKelvin and the signing of Will James. Also a lot of people thought we were set with Greer and McGee as the starters but apparently Randy Moss thought otherwise.

Round 4 - Derek Fine TE

Grade C-

Clearly the front office doesn't plan on truely addressing the TE position until next year, after all you can't fix every whole in one offseason. Not sure if Fine will do anything in this league other than standout on ST, but considering our current TE depth chart he may end up starting at some point this season and if he does have any talent will have a chance to showcase it.

Round 5 Alvin Bowen LB

Grade C-

Given our current LB roster, the best Bowen can hope for at this point is making an impact as a ST or he will likely be inactive most of the season. Could be practice squad bound unless he has a very strong preseason.

Round 6 Xavier Omon RB
Grade D-

I would have went oline with this pick and I'm not sure why we took another young RB unless they are looking at converting this kid into a tight end. I'm guessing he will end up on the practice squad or just be camp fodder unless he has a Fred Jackson like performance in preseason.

Round 7 Demetrius Bell OL
Grade B+

Like this pick - and some scouts feel this was a player that could have easily been drafted as high as the 3rd round. Also keep in mind he has a strong athletic pedigree given his father was one of the greatest power forward in NBA history. Could a move to center be in the works?

Round 7 Steven Johnson WR
Grade A-

Another 7th round pick that we may have struck gold. A lot of scouts are already calling him the next Marques Colston and I'm not sure why he fell this far. Look for him to contribute immediately at ST and if he realizes his true potential this will be a major steal of the this decade.

Round 7 Kennard Cox CB
Grade D-

One pick away from 'Mr. Irrelevant'. See defintion of Camp Fodder.

Overal Grade: B-
Day 2 could have been a lot better on the surface but I have the feeling that in 3 years we are all going to look back as this draft being the one that finally put us back on top of the afc east with the first 2 picks alone, with the 2007 draft being the catalyst. Looks like the GM by commitee learned a lot from Levy during his brief 2 year run. The future is bright indeed.

~The Answer

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 01:31 PM
I think the Bills got some talent for sure, just not sure about when and where they took them. I think the Bills have big problems on both sides of the ball, but I don't think they addressed the offense as much as they coud have.

mysticsoto
04-28-2008, 01:54 PM
I think the Bills got some talent for sure, just not sure about when and where they took them. I think the Bills have big problems on both sides of the ball, but I don't think they addressed the offense as much as they coud have.

Why do we have big problems on defense? We have people returning from injury/upgraded and/or added to virtually every facet of our defense...

justasportsfan
04-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Why do we have big problems on defense? ..

Did you have to ask?

mysticsoto
04-28-2008, 02:00 PM
Did you have to ask?

I like rationality on these boards. So when I see something that doesn't make sense, I have to question it - even if it comes from FTP...

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 02:45 PM
Why do we have big problems on defense? We have people returning from injury/upgraded and/or added to virtually every facet of our defense...

You still had the 31st ranked defense in the league each of the last 2 years. And hasn't been much better over the last 5, It not because of injuries.

feelthepain
04-28-2008, 02:47 PM
I like rationality on these boards. So when I see something that doesn't make sense, I have to question it - even if it comes from FTP...

I think based on your teams record and their recent history, it a fair statement.

hydro
04-28-2008, 02:49 PM
You still had the 31st ranked defense in the league each of the last 2 years. And hasn't been much better over the last 5, It not because of injuries.
Actually we were ranked 18th two years ago. :poop:

We were also ranked 2nd in 2004/2005.

Oaf
04-28-2008, 02:56 PM
When I listened to BB.com about the pick explainations, I felt a lot better. Just cause I didn't read about Fine or Corner on some draft site doesn't mean they are nobodies. Fine had the quickest feet for a TE in the draft, and the Bills valued a hand-down TE over a down-the-field slot guy.

Oaf
04-28-2008, 02:58 PM
In fact, I am very excited for the battle at CB and TE this summer.

ddaryl
04-28-2008, 03:02 PM
When I listened to BB.com about the pick explainations, I felt a lot better. Just cause I didn't read about Fine or Corner on some draft site doesn't mean they are nobodies. Fine had the quickest feet for a TE in the draft, and the Bills valued a hand-down TE over a down-the-field slot guy.

Yeah I read that too. Fine was the #1 TE in a few drills.

I believe the Bills like their TE's to block, so I can see us using the TE spot with Turk at OC as a hold your block for 3 seconds roll out into the open area for the dump off more often this year.

To me it was the scheme we ran the last few years that just did not utilize the TE in the pass game that much, and that I believe will change this year. That alone could change our perception of our TE's.

mysticsoto
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM

Okay. We got rid of DT Tripplett who essentially did nothing and replaced him with Stroud and Spencer. We replaced LB Ellison with Mitchell and Poz is returning though DiGiorgio is still available as backup also. You may not have realized it, but LBs at one point became our weakest position due to injuries! We hugely upgraded our CBs with speedy McKelvin, still have McGee and now have crazy depth to pick the best of all of them at CB. We have Ko returning from injury at Safety as well as Wilson and even Wendling...all miles above Leonard in terms of being able to play the position - Leonard isn't even on the team anymore...though he started for us last year due to injuries.

Yet we still have problems on our defense b'cse...last year we were 31st due to an enormous amt of injuries???

Oaf
04-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Just as long as we don't ask Royal to think very much about what he's doing.