Are the Bills still running a cover two?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EDS
    • Jan 2003

Are the Bills still running a cover two?

Seems like the moves the team has made on the defensive side of the ball are the exact opposite of the scheme/philosophy they used the previous two years.

DL:

Then: The team wants quick, penetrating defensive lineman so as to get into the gaps.

Now: We need a huge run stuffer and went out and got Marcus Stroud while simultaneously dumping the "quick" undersized Larry Triplett.

LB:

Then: The cover two needs quick linebackers.

Now: We just got a big run stuffing linebacker in Kawika Mitchell. Could Mitchell be more different then Ellison?

Corner:

Then: The cover two does not require a pure cover-guy and hence there is no need to speed money on top corners.

Now: We just drafted the top corner, using a very high draft pick, because we need someone who can lock-down these receivers that keep torching us, in part because our quick defensive lineman have not been able to get pressure on the opposing QB.

All that being said, I am thrilled they finally realized stopping the run is a priority. I am a little confused though in that the starting linebackers all have decent size, but the back-ups are all undersized. Same with the back-up DTs. Also, does it seem that the team now has an overabundence of small corners - especially since Youboty is probably getting cut and Cox is probably a better long-term safety prospect?
  • casdhf
    • Jul 2002

Re: Are the Bills still running a cover two?

Hopefully Perry is trying to create his own hybrid type. It couldn't hurt.
    Originally posted by BillsZone Mod
    cas,

I'm just letting you know that you have been given 2 points for telling Wys AKA Mark to kill himself.

BillsZone Mod

Comment

• justasportsfan
      • Jul 2002

we went from the Martz system to a WCO hybrid type of offense. Not surpised we're trying to try diferent things defensively.
      sacrifice1
      https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Michael82
        • Jul 2002

I'm hoping they are trying to change. The cover 2 has sucked since it came here.

Comment

• colin
          Drew's my hero!
          • Jul 2002

we don't really play cover 2 on many downs.

we are a cover 2 base, but show some different looks. we'll be the same. our problem has simply been a lack of talent. that's changed now and we will dictate on D rather than be reactionary.

the biggest thing is 3rd and long. we were god awful at it before, i expect us to kick ass on it now.

Comment

• Bert102176
            • Aug 2002

hope not the cover 2 sure didn't work the last couple of years
            lets go BUFFALO lets go BUFFALO

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

I think it is an updated version.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• djjimkelly
                • Apr 2003

well i was thinking same thing

drafting a cb at 11 isnt a cover 2 move on top of that hes a man to man type cb. will james isnt a cover 2 cb. mcgee was a solid man cb a couple years ago. the moves in our secondary definately dont smell of cover 2.

this could be modraks imprint of what he thinks should be.

could these moves be being made for life after jauron i know ive been preaching new staff and new schemes this could very well be the first of many moves that foreshadow major changes at OBD for 2009.

Comment

Working...
                X