X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bmax
    • Aug 2003

DraftBoy is Right Fine is not what we need at TE

The Bills stated this off season stating they wanted to get a TE that could stretch the field. Well they didn't get one in the draft. They ended up with a guy who will help in special teams and catch short passes but will not help them with the seam routes deep in the middle of the field.

The Bills just don't get it when it comes to drafting TE's ...They never have

Tony Hunter-Bust
    Lonnie Johnson-Bust
    Rueben Gant-Bust

They hit with Mckellar and Rimersma and the trade with Meetzalars but lately they have just filled the position with average players at best.

Some teams have problems drafting QB's-.Bears........The Bills Tight Ends...

That's why Bills Fans better hope Robert Royal, Teyo Johson or Courtney Anderson
    shows them something this season or we will be hoping to land Chase Coffman or Brandon Pettigrew next year....

Bmax
  • Michael82
    • Jul 2002

Re: DraftBoy is Right Fine is not what we need at TE

When I saw Martin Rucker fall into the 4th, I really thought that he was the one they had their eyes on. Then ****ing Cleveland had to snatch him up right before us.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
      • Jul 2002

I am getting the feeling that there is a disconnect between what the Bills staff wants from the TE in their offense and what the fans, at least here, are thinking they want.
      Maybe we are projecting something that just isn't there.

Regarding Fine, I went to the Orange Bowl and I have absolutely no recall about anything regarding him.
      I also went to the Bills/Redskins game, and Cooley was all over us. The best player on the field that day.
      If he's anything like Cooley, who someone compared him to, we'll be happy.

If not, we be back at the well next year.

Comment

• Carlton Bailey

Seems like another Mark Campbell/Tim Euhus type. No thanks.

Comment

• mysticsoto
          Too sober for this...
          • Apr 2004

I worry that the Bills actually feel fine with the FAs they brought in for TE. And that should not be the case. Teyo Johnson is athletic as hell, but he's done nothing nowhere. Anderson is big and will hopefully be a decent blocker, but he's done nothing spectacular either. If they are thinking that they have talent on the roster at the position, I'd be worried about how come that talent hasn't been able to show on other teams that they've been on. Perhaps they are confident in being able to bring out this talent out of them. I, however, am a great deal less confident.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
            • Feb 2005

Maybe the Bills will get that tight-end next offseason. They did a great job addressing other positions that they probably felt were more critical. They obviously can't afford to fix everything at once.

We'll see how Turk intends on using and incorporating our tight-ends once we get to see his offense in action this Fall.

Comment

• Dozerdog
              In a jar, on a shelf, next to the unopened Miracle Whip.

Administrator Emeritus
              • Jul 2002

Who's to say Rucker or anyone else on the board is "That Guy" who will stretch the field? How many of those guys are in the NFL? A dozen? Two Dozen?

For years a lot of people on this board have had a hard on to get a dominating TE. I remember in the 2006 draft a lot of people on this board going nuts over drafting Vernon Davis. He went in the top 10.

Maybe he will blossom, but so far he's nothing special.

Career Stats more
              SeasonTeamReceivingRushingFumbles
              GGSRecYdsAvgLngTDAttYdsAvgLngTDFUMLost
              2007 San Francisco 49ers 14 14 525099.8314----------11
              2006 San Francisco 49ers 10 8 2026513.352T3252.59011
              TOTAL7277410.8527252.59022

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

Could be, in our 3-step drop offense, that Fine is the smart, sure handed guy who we need to be the safety valve. We may have drafted him purposely for our system.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Philagape
                  WIN NOW
                  • Jul 2002

I think the idea is to have Evans and Hardy (and Roscoe) stretch the field with the TEs, Lynch and Reed finding space underneath.
                  "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                  2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• madness
                    • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Could be, in our 3-step drop offense, that Fine is the smart, sure handed guy who we need to be the safety valve. We may have drafted him purposely for our system.
                    Stop making sense and contradicting the draft guru's.

Comment

• Captain gameboy
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                      That is exactly why I posted what I did in post #3.

If it's going to be a three step and get it out passing game, what we need is someone who can get off the line, get turned around and win the battle for the ball.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                        • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Philagape
                        I think the idea is to have Evans and Hardy (and Roscoe) stretch the field with the TEs, Lynch and Reed finding space underneath.
                        This plan has been inplace for 3 years with little success. Maybe getting a real TE is the answer.

Why did we draft Schouman and Wright last year??

Comment

• mysticsoto
                          Too sober for this...
                          • Apr 2004

Originally posted by DMBcrew36
                          Maybe the Bills will get that tight-end next offseason. They did a great job addressing other positions that they probably felt were more critical. They obviously can't afford to fix everything at once.

We'll see how Turk intends on using and incorporating our tight-ends once we get to see his offense in action this Fall.
                          The Bills had plenty of opportunity to grab great prospect TEs and chose not to each time. They had Brad Cottam in the 3rd and chose Ellis instead. They had Kellen Davis and Gary Barnridge available forever and didn't choose either and instead chose a TE that they probably could have gotten via UDFA. I don't think their scouts have good judgement over what makes a good TE - and that should be evident by the turnstile at TE we've had in more than a decade!!!

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                            This plan has been inplace for 3 years with little success. Maybe getting a real TE is the answer.
                            Or a real No. 2 WR, something the Bills haven't even tried to get the last two seasons.
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• madness
                              • Apr 2003

There are also going to be some decent options being released as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X