PDA

View Full Version : Just Watched Combine Workouts Of Hardy, S.Johnson & Omon

Night Train
04-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Hardy looked like he took 10 strides before hitting the tape in the 40. - 4.47.
Rod Woodson interviewed him and he was hard on himself. Says he wants to be a better blocker and tighten his route running. Said he plans on working hard for the team that drafts him. Woodson asks what his best part of his game is and he said, "red zone ability". Said he can get up where the CB's cannot with his leaping ability. I saw him catch one pass on the down and out and he looked smooth.

Steve Johnson looked real good to me. He ran a 4.57 but seem to stumble at the beginning, picking up speed in the last 20. It was his catching drills that looked great. A natural hands catcher, fingers up with sharp cuts. Mayock said he popped the tape in to look at QB Woodson of Kentucky and Johnson was the guy who jumped off the tape with his performance. Really likes him & said his best football is still ahead of him.

Omon passes the eyeball test like few can. God, is he cut. Looks like a mini Earl Cambell with huge arms and tree trunk legs. Ran a 4.59 at 5-11 & 228. Didn't look bad going through the cones but he's a between the tackle power runner all the way.

Encouraging.

bigbub2352
04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Nice post NT

justasportsfan
04-29-2008, 03:08 PM
Dang. I wish I had the combine videos.

last year I was really impressed with Lynchs combine video , then we drafted him :up:

Tatonka
04-29-2008, 03:09 PM
why do they always post hardy's time as 4.51? i have seen it listed at that much several times. and they always say he is 6'5".. isnt he a junk hair under 6'6"?

DraftBoy
04-29-2008, 03:24 PM
why do they always post hardy's time as 4.51? i have seen it listed at that much several times. and they always say he is 6'5".. isnt he a junk hair under 6'6"?

6'5 3/8

4.47 is the unofficial 40 time from the combine.

Mr. Miyagi
04-29-2008, 03:27 PM
Who gives a crap about the measurables? I only care about whether he can catch in the end zone.

The Answer
04-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Hardy looked like he took 10 strides before hitting the tape in the 40. - 4.47.
Rod Woodson interviewed him and he was hard on himself. Says he wants to be a better blocker and tighten his route running. Said he plans on working hard for the team that drafts him. Woodson asks what his best part of his game is and he said, "red zone ability". Said he can get up where the CB's cannot with his leaping ability. I saw him catch one pass on the down and out and he looked smooth.

Steve Johnson looked real good to me. He ran a 4.57 but seem to stumble at the beginning, picking up speed in the last 20. It was his catching drills that looked great. A natural hands catcher, fingers up with sharp cuts. Mayock said he popped the tape in to look at QB Woodson of Kentucky and Johnson was the guy who jumped off the tape with his performance. Really likes him & said his best football is still ahead of him.

Omon passes the eyeball test like few can. God, is he cut. Looks like a mini Earl Cambell with huge arms and tree trunk legs. Ran a 4.59 at 5-11 & 228. Didn't look bad going through the cones but he's a between the tackle power runner all the way.

Encouraging.

The more tape I have studied on this Omon cat - the more I realize why they drafted him. We need 3 good RB's anyways, and right now we only really have Lynch and Action Jackson because Wright did absolutely nothing last year. So if Omon can show Jackson like ability in preseason I'm sure he makes it to the final roster.

~The Answer

Scumbag College
04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
The more tape I have studied on this Omon cat - the more I realize why they drafted him. We need 3 good RB's anyways, and right now we only really have Lynch and Action Jackson because Wright did absolutely nothing last year. So if Omon can show Jackson like ability in preseason I'm sure he makes it to the final roster.

~The Answer

That's why I just don't get some posters here complaining about not getting a prospect at center or a FB with our SIXTH round draft pick. Even as a possible #3 RB, this guy is still going to touch the ball a couple of times a game and add a power running dimension to this offense. Both Lynch and Jackson can put their head down and get an extra yard, but this guy can really punish LBs and DBs trying to take him down. I love this pick and it might be my favorite Day 2 pick of this year's draft.

Don't Panic
04-29-2008, 08:12 PM
He was definitely worth the gamble in the sixth round. Highest payout possible for a guy that late. I like Wright, and I don't really think he had much of a chance to show what he's got last year, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have a guy like X around.

Ingtar33
04-29-2008, 08:19 PM
you should see Odom's spin move.

there was a highlight of him i saw... where he beat two men down at the goal line with a spin that looked like it broke the ankles of the defenders. unreal.

yordad
04-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Dang. I wish I had the combine videos.

last year I was really impressed with Lynchs combine video , then we drafted him :up: It is on http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d806e11ee

Compare Steve Johnson to DJ Hall while your there.

The Spaz
04-29-2008, 08:58 PM
you should see Odom's spin move.

there was a highlight of him i saw... where he beat two men down at the goal line with a spin that looked like it broke the ankles of the defenders. unreal.

That was impressive and I thought his dives at the goal line were crazy. I guess he has a 38.5 inch vertical as well.

TigerJ
04-29-2008, 10:34 PM
I really don't have a lot of problems with the Bills' draft. I would like to have seen a field stretching TE who could run in the 4.7 range or better drafted by the Bills. A center would have been nice, but I think in the final analysis, I think you could count on one hand the number of centers that carried draftable grades, and you might have fingers left over.

Mski
04-29-2008, 11:25 PM
perhaps with his sizer and power they're looking to move xavier to full time full back :idunno: seems like that would be a good fit

Night Train
04-30-2008, 06:03 AM
My usueless prediction, FWIW, is that Hardy, the 6-2 Johnson & the short yardage Omon can all help us.

Hardy needsa to hit the weights and learn the NFL speed like everyone else, but his leaping ability and knack for shielding off defenders ( basketball background ) while making those catches is already there. He's going to be a matchup nightmare for defenders.

Johnson looks to be more polished in his all around game than many WR's picked higher. He just lacks the straight line deep speed but looks to be an ideal #2 WR, 3rd down option. Those hands are impressive.

Getting a top WR just under 6-6 and another at 6-2 with good hands is what we wanted all along to compliment Evans.

Omon should be coming in near the goal line and on 3rd and short. Might just be a legit backup.

It's all on paper but it gets the hopes up for a change from the status quo.

colin
04-30-2008, 07:35 AM
it looks like particulary with our late picks we went height weight speed.

that's a good thing IMO. we have a solid core of vets and young guys, lots of hungry character guys. but we got physically outmatched too much. we got bigger and tougher in the front 7, added some rb beef, fb, and size at wr and another TE, and the guys who will be groomed but play st right away are all some stud athletes.

mikemac2001
04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Who gives a crap about the measurables? I only care about whether he can catch in the end zone.

well that extra inch in madden would help out alot...thats why

blackonyx89
04-30-2008, 12:14 PM

~The Answer

Answer, you are the first person I've read that used the word cat to describe a player!!! LOL! Cool!!!

:rockon: