PDA

View Full Version : Bills Gettin F'in Paid for games in Craptown

B-DON
04-29-2008, 05:50 PM
Bills to be paid $78 million to play in Toronto
By JOHN WAWROW, AP Sports Writer
22 minutes ago

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)—The Buffalo Bills will receive $78 million—more than double their calculated 2006 operating income—to play eight games in Toronto over the next five years.

The payment to the Bills was disclosed for the first time in Rogers Communications’ 2008 first-quarter report released Tuesday. The Toronto-based company is part of a consortium that negotiated a deal with the Bills to have them play five regular-season and three preseason games, starting this year, at the downtown Rogers Centre.

In becoming the NFL’s first team to play annual games outside the United States, the Bills are scheduled to host Pittsburgh in a preseason match at Toronto on Aug. 14, followed by a regular-season game against Miami on Dec. 7.

Rogers spokeswoman Jan Innes would not comment beyond the one-paragraph statement included in the company report, except to say the $78 million figure was in Canadian currency. The Canadian dollar hovered around par to its U.S. counterpart during the first quarter this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag3lqRikajUnqRvLVDMFkRs5nYcB?slug=ap-bills-torontorevenues&prov=ap&type=lgns

B-DON
04-29-2008, 05:51 PM
I hope this improves our chances of not moving. That is much needed money for this franchise.

B-DON
04-29-2008, 05:53 PM
Will one of the mods please remove the "m" after paid? Thank you

patmoran2006
04-29-2008, 05:58 PM
Holy **** that's even more than I thought it would be.

That old bastard is one rich son of a *****.

Bill Brasky
04-29-2008, 06:08 PM
i hope he's happy....

Scumbag College
04-29-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't want to hear Ralphy crying poor anytime soon.

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I hope this improves our chances of not moving. That is much needed money for this franchise.

if anything it does the opposite- if the Bills can get paid almost $8 million a game to play there and the Rogers Center can still turn a profit, it's bad news for Buffalo.

hammerbillsfan
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
When the **** was Toronto was referred to as Craptown?

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 06:47 PM
When the **** was Toronto was referred to as Craptown?

since you hosers tried to steal our ****ing football team.

hammerbillsfan
04-29-2008, 06:51 PM

hey Ralph and the NFL agreed to loan out a few games, was Toronto going to say no? :idunno:

Mr B
04-29-2008, 06:57 PM

BUFFALO, N.Y. (AP)—The Buffalo Bills will receive $78 million—more than double their calculated 2006 operating income—to play eight games in Toronto over the next five years.

This article sounds like propoganda. The Bills won't have to pay taxes with the 78 million? Just take the money and run? I would have liked for him to show much more profit per game it breaks down to.

The last buffalo fan
04-29-2008, 06:58 PM
puta madre!

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 07:26 PM
hey Ralph and the NFL agreed to loan out a few games, was Toronto going to say no? :idunno:

Oh, yeah, I'm sure Rogers and the city had NOTHING to do with pushing them to it- the NFL just offered it to them out of the goodness of their hearts.

Toronto wants our team and until we're reassured that they're not going to get it, you can pretty much count on some animosity.

YardRat
04-29-2008, 07:27 PM
Beats the living **** out of the paltry sum they would have received by selling the naming rights to the stadium or raising ticket prices.

:rofl:

Old Ralphy just created 78 million ****ing dollars in revenue without going one thin dime into any kind of debt. No new stadium to pay for. No new luxury suites to pay for. No messing with the league's salary cap or revenue sharing and screwing everybody else. What a 'dumb-ass' businessman he is, huh?

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Beats the living **** out of the paltry sum they would have received by selling the naming rights to the stadium or raising ticket prices.

:rofl:

Old Ralphy just created 78 million ****ing dollars in revenue without going one thin dime into any kind of debt. No new stadium to pay for. No new luxury suites to pay for. No messing with the league's salary cap or revenue sharing and screwing everybody else. What a 'dumb-ass' businessman he is, huh?

He also created an appetite for NFL football in the city that's most likely to be able to steal our team. So, while Ralphy makes a few extra bucks and the team remains fiscally solvent, it's also the death blow to NFL football in Western NY.

hammerbillsfan
04-29-2008, 07:35 PM
Oh, yeah, I'm sure Rogers and the city had NOTHING to do with pushing them to it- the NFL just offered it to them out of the goodness of their hearts.

Toronto wants our team and until we're reassured that they're not going to get it, you can pretty much count on some animosity.
Ok you tell Ralphy and the NFL that.
I'm pretty sure the Bills will be better with that extra income, that money isn't coming from WNY.

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 07:36 PM
Ok you tell Ralphy and the NFL that.
I'm pretty sure the Bills will be better with that extra income, I don't see that coming from WNY.

and that's exactly why we're worried that you hosers are trying to steal our team.

Ebenezer
04-29-2008, 07:43 PM
and that's exactly why we're worried that you hosers are trying to steal our team.
will you calm it with our team?? the last time I looked none of us own any stock in it.

Look, the sands of RW's hourglass are dissipating fast...somehow, someway the Bills are going to be worth $1Billion on the open market upon his death. Somebody is going to buy this team because from all indications RW's family doesn't want it. Unless there is a local savior there is a great chance that the team will move. Perhaps, getting this revenue from Toronto might be the thing a new owner needs to keep the team here. IF it isn't then kiss them goodbye now whether it be Toronto, LA or Paris. This area - let me rephrase that - the rich of this area are not going to pony up $1Billion to keep this team here.

YardRat
04-29-2008, 07:46 PM
He also created an appetite for NFL football in the city that's most likely to be able to steal our team. So, while Ralphy makes a few extra bucks and the team remains fiscally solvent, it's also the death blow to NFL football in Western NY.

Maybe, maybe not.

As long as the CFL remains solvent, nobody is moving into Canada on a full-time basis. If Ralph dies, no new owner is going to forego that revenue unless he gets a helluva lot more money guaranteed from another municipality.

Our biggest worry right now, IMO, is that the Toronto venture fails, the agreement isn't renewed, no revenue is created to replace the Toronto money, and a different city such as LA swoops in.

Our best hope is that the Toronto deal remains lucrative.

Dr. Lecter
04-29-2008, 07:48 PM
And gets more lucrative by doing things like selling luxury boxes.

The good news is that we can't build the ****ing Peace Bridge because of some birds.

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 08:01 PM
will you calm it with our team?? the last time I looked none of us own any stock in it.

Look, the sands of RW's hourglass are dissipating fast...somehow, someway the Bills are going to be worth $1Billion on the open market upon his death. Somebody is going to buy this team because from all indications RW's family doesn't want it. Unless there is a local savior there is a great chance that the team will move. Perhaps, getting this revenue from Toronto might be the thing a new owner needs to keep the team here. IF it isn't then kiss them goodbye now whether it be Toronto, LA or Paris. This area - let me rephrase that - the rich of this area are not going to pony up $1Billion to keep this team here.

yeah, none of us own stock in it, but I spend $320 a year to watch the games on DirecTV and some of us spend twice that on season tickets and we all buy merch and we all spend our time watching the ads on Sunday afternoon that pay for most of the league, so while we may not have any personal financial stake in it, that team wouldn't be worth $1 billion if it wasn't for our involvement.

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 08:03 PM
Maybe, maybe not.

As long as the CFL remains solvent, nobody is moving into Canada on a full-time basis. If Ralph dies, no new owner is going to forego that revenue unless he gets a helluva lot more money guaranteed from another municipality.

Our biggest worry right now, IMO, is that the Toronto venture fails, the agreement isn't renewed, no revenue is created to replace the Toronto money, and a different city such as LA swoops in.

are you kidding? Even at $200 a ticket, demand for tickets was twice the capacity. the LAST thing this team needs to worry about is the Toronto venture failing.

Ebenezer
04-29-2008, 08:07 PM
yeah, none of us own stock in it, but I spend $320 a year to watch the games on DirecTV and some of us spend twice that on season tickets and we all buy merch and we all spend our time watching the ads on Sunday afternoon that pay for most of the league, so while we may not have any personal financial stake in it, that team wouldn't be worth $1 billion if it wasn't for our involvement.
I have seasons. I support the team by my choice. They do not need me.

YardRat
04-29-2008, 08:33 PM
are you kidding? Even at $200 a ticket, demand for tickets was twice the capacity. the LAST thing this team needs to worry about is the Toronto venture failing.

That's today. We'll see what the demand is like a few years down the road.

DrGraves
04-29-2008, 08:57 PM
you know the old saying... get paid, get laid

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 10:13 PM
I have seasons. I support the team by my choice. They do not need me.

that's crap and you know it.

They don't need you as an individual but they do need us as a collective fan base. It's us- the fans as a group- that allow them to make money. We stop watching and buying merch- the advertising and royalty dollars dry up.

djjimkelly
04-29-2008, 10:54 PM

curse your politicians for doing what they have done to business in WNY its definately not canadian bills fans faults

Michael82
04-30-2008, 12:54 AM
That's today. We'll see what the demand is like a few years down the road.
Exactly! Once the excitement wears off, they will probably struggle to sell out just like they do with their other American sports teams. :ill:

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 12:56 AM
Exactly! Once the excitement wears off, they will probably struggle to sell out just like they do with their other American sports teams. :ill:
you are high if you believe that.

Michael82
04-30-2008, 12:57 AM
you are high if you believe that.
They don't even like the Bills that much.

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 01:18 AM
They don't even like the Bills that much.
you are rather wrong. "double the capacity" doesn't mean anything to you? :shakeno:

Historian
04-30-2008, 04:52 AM
Maybe, maybe not.

As usual, Rat is right. on. the. money.

You can see where this is going, can't you?

My guess is that eventually, this team is going to be playing half it's games in Orchard Park, and half it's games in Toronto. It will probably be purchased by a Toronto group, but be based in the states, due to NAFTA.

Not only will that take the pressure off WNYers, (as it will lower the price of season tickets by half) it will also free up the stadium a bit in the fall for other things.

Yes, WNY will miss out on the revenue for 4 games, but the taxpayers will not have to foot the bill for cops OT, and all the other expenses that we pay out of our own pockets, in order for Ralph to put on a show.

Looking at it logically, it's really a win-win if it helps keep the team here, albeit only part time.

Patrick76777
04-30-2008, 06:54 AM
if anything it does the opposite- if the Bills can get paid almost $8 million a game to play there and the Rogers Center can still turn a profit, it's bad news for Buffalo.

Nevermind!

ddaryl
04-30-2008, 07:36 AM
I think its pretty pitiful that fans on this site have decided to insult and act like a bunch of spoiled children.

I'm sorry but I have major issues with my fellow fans who refer to Toronto as "Craptown" or who have really anything negative to say about our neighbors to the north. They have a growing metropolis. They have politicians that have made intellignet growth decisions, they've built a world class city... So how is Toronto craptown ?????

If there is any "Craptown" I would think Buffalo has a better chance of winning that title over anything Toronto.

This is a USA / WNY / Erie County / Buffalo issue, and the fact that Toronto brings in major income to the franchise is the only hope of keeping the team in Buffalo.

Michael82
04-30-2008, 08:20 AM
you are rather wrong. "double the capacity" doesn't mean anything to you? :shakeno:
like i said, this is new. But the prices and all will scare people away. The key is, this is something the fans want to experience. Do you really believe all those 100,000 people on the list are from Canada? I'm betting that maybe 60,000 are. There are a lot of other people who put their name on the list, just so they can sell the ticket and make money. I'll say this right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins game is 50/50 for Bills/Dolphins fans, or at least 60/40 Bills/Dolphins fans. Ask hbf, sure a bunch of people cross the border to come to the Bills games, but how many of those really are Bills fans? I bet you'll be surprised how small the number is.

User Manuel
04-30-2008, 08:34 AM
I'd play the game in Toronto too.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 09:05 AM
22 minutes ago

Just imagine how much the new owner will make when he moves the Bills to Toronto.

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 09:08 AM
how is it TO's fault?

It's not TO's fault that the franchise is in trouble. As a matter of fact if it wasn't for our 2 faced neighbors' support, someone else would have STOLEN the team and moved it to LA a long time ago.

If you don't want anything stolen stop advertising it , leave it unattended and lock everything up.

Philagape
04-30-2008, 09:24 AM
The new owners of the Bills would be crazy to keep the team here, in a purely business sense.

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 09:27 AM
like i said, this is new. But the prices and all will scare people away. The key is, this is something the fans want to experience. Do you really believe all those 100,000 people on the list are from Canada? I'm betting that maybe 60,000 are. There are a lot of other people who put their name on the list, just so they can sell the ticket and make money. I'll say this right now, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dolphins game is 50/50 for Bills/Dolphins fans, or at least 60/40 Bills/Dolphins fans. Ask hbf, sure a bunch of people cross the border to come to the Bills games, but how many of those really are Bills fans? I bet you'll be surprised how small the number is.
just as much as rochesterians which is still double the no. of finfans that actually show to their games.

Thurmal
04-30-2008, 09:42 AM
Does anyone really believe, if the Bills moved to Toronto, that these people will continue to buy $200 tickets every game for entire seasons?

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 09:49 AM
Does anyone really believe, if the Bills moved to Toronto, that these people will continue to buy $200 tickets every game for entire seasons?
hell no!

Philagape
04-30-2008, 10:11 AM

It could be half that and still be twice as lucrative than here.

Historian
04-30-2008, 10:19 AM
That will change once the American dollar goes back to where it usually is...about 1.35 Canadian.

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 10:40 AM
Mikey, how often do you go to Canada? How many times have you seen Toronto? It's NYC north. Lots of money. Sorry, you are wrong on this one.

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 10:45 AM
TO is canada's NYC

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 10:47 AM
TO is canada's NYC
great minds think alike.

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 10:49 AM
great minds think alike.

are you sure you wanna be associated with me?

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 10:50 AM
are you sure you wanna be associated with me?
yeah, why not? you get the chicks.

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 10:55 AM
yeah, why not? you get the chicks.

I wish ! I have no game that even the women is my fantasies just wanna be friends. :sadwalk:

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 10:58 AM
It could be half that and still be twice as lucrative than here.

Maybe Ralph needs to raise the ticket prices here in Buffalo? League average should do.

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 10:59 AM
Maybe Ralph needs to raise the ticket prices here in Buffalo? League average should do.

We may need to find someone else to make camp reports because you'll give Mikey a heart attack if that happened.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 11:04 AM
We may need to find someone else to make camp reports because you'll give Mikey a heart attack if that happened.

True, Mikey popped a boner saving $5 on parking. Rasing ticket prices could kill him.

gr8slayer
04-30-2008, 11:13 AM
Toronto is a lovely city. I'm looking forward to visiting it this season.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2008, 11:14 AM

For the 5,476 time - that is not the issue. The issue is luxury boxes.

mikemac2001
04-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Toronto is a lovely city. I'm looking forward to visiting it this season.

Tons of strippers also

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 12:33 PM
For the 5,476 time - that is not the issue. The issue is luxury boxes.

It's part of the overall issue. SO you are telling me if the Bills raise ticket prices $25 per ticket it wouldn't help?

Attendance 70,000 x 8 = 560,000 x $25 = $14 million more in revenue.

$14 million wouldn't help?

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 12:40 PM
In 2006 the NFL average ticket was $62.38.

The highest average ticket cost is in New England ($90.89) and the lowest is in Buffalo ($41.29).

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 01:10 PM
In 2006 the NFL average ticket was $62.38.

The highest average ticket cost is in New England ($90.89) and the lowest is in Buffalo ($41.29).
raise tickets $25 a pop and watch attendance swirl in the toilet...

justasportsfan
04-30-2008, 01:23 PM
and then we'll blame some foreign country for trying to steal the bills,eh?. :ill:

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 01:42 PM

So basically Bill fans are cheap?

They want a team but they don't want to pay the league average in price.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM
It's part of the overall issue. SO you are telling me if the Bills raise ticket prices $25 per ticket it wouldn't help?

Attendance 70,000 x 8 = 560,000 x $25 = $14 million more in revenue.

$14 million wouldn't help?

60% of 14 million. Ticket money is shared revenue.

You also did not take into account money lost by decreased attendance.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2008, 01:47 PM

They also make on average less than fans in other cities.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 01:49 PM
60% of 14 million. Ticket money is shared revenue.

You also did not take into account money lost by decreased attendance.

People will pay if the product on the field is good.

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 01:52 PM

are you a season ticket holder?

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 01:54 PM
are you a season ticket holder?

Does it matter? If I lived closer I would be. And I would have no problem at all paying $25 more per ticket. $25 in a week is less than 1 large pizza and 4lbs of wings.

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 01:58 PM
Does it matter? If I lived closer I would be. And I would have no problem at all paying $25 more per ticket. $25 in a week is less than 1 large pizza and 4lbs of wings.
yes it matters. the folks that sit behind us live in North Carolina and are there for almost every game. you complain that the ticket prices aren't high enough yet you do not have season tickets nor do you even try to come to the games. you want us to pay higher ticket prices to try to ensure that the team stays in town so YOU can be a fan of the BUFFALO Bills but YOU yourself can't be bothered. Please put down the shovel.

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2008, 01:58 PM
People will pay if the product on the field is good.

To a point.

The economy in the area does hurt and would hurt regardless of team success.

trapezeus
04-30-2008, 02:02 PM
why is the american dollar stregthening any time soon? The economy isn't getting better any time soon. The dollar's hey days are over for at least another 5 years. There is inflationary worry and out of control debt that devalue's the dollar big time.

In fact if Ralph got paid in Canadian dollars and holds it in Canadian dollars it will be worth more by the time the 5 year contract runs out. and when you multiple a couple cent change to $78MM, that's a huge profit simply by playing the currency.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 02:07 PM
yes it matters. the folks that sit behind us live in North Carolina and are there for almost every game. you complain that the ticket prices aren't high enough yet you do not have season tickets nor do you even try to come to the games. you want us to pay higher ticket prices to try to ensure that the team stays in town so YOU can be a fan of the BUFFALO Bills but YOU yourself can't be bothered. Please put down the shovel.

No it doesn't matter. Im sorry, I didn't know I had to buy tickets to be a Bills fan.

Bill fans complain about ticket prices when they are already the cheapest in the entire NFL. Talk about being cheap.

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 02:09 PM
No it doesn't matter. Im sorry, I didn't know I had to buy tickets to be a Bills fan.

You complain about ticket prices when they are already the cheapest in the entire NFL. Talk about being cheap.
you don't have to buy tickets to be a Bills fan; I never said that. I did, however, say that you have no business telling me I have to pay more to games that you don't try to attend. Further, I am not cheap and didn't complain about the ticket prices. They could by all means raise prices and I will pay them to a point. Your point was out of line.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 02:13 PM
Your point was out of line.

So was yours. You made it sound like you are special because you buy season tickets and that I have no say because I don't.

When I said "You" I meant Bill fans. I changed it so you don't take offence to it.

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 02:17 PM
So was yours. You made it sound like you are special because you buy season tickets and that I have no say because I don't.

When I said "You" I meant Bill fans. I changed it so you don't take offence to it.
don't read words where they were not typed. not having tickets doesn't make you less of a fan. however, you have no right to tell season ticket holders they are cheap and what they should, could or are willing to pay.

Please feel free to remit to RW $438 and then you can request to have your season ticket price increased by $25 a game.

TacklingDummy
04-30-2008, 02:23 PM
don't read words where they were not typed. not having tickets doesn't make you less of a fan. however, you have no right to tell season ticket holders they are cheap and what they should, could or are willing to pay.

Please feel free to remit to RW $438 and then you can request to have your season ticket price increased by $25 a game.

Im sorry, when someone complains about prices (not saying you) when they are the cheapest in the NFL, they are cheap.

$638 for something I love is nothing.

If I had to pay that to watch the Bills on TV I would be more than happy to do so. It sucks when the surrounding area of Buffalo can't support the team and the games are blacked out. I wish they gave us an option to pay to see the game anyways.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2008, 02:25 PM
So, my wife and I aren't the only loony season ticket holders who live in North Carolina?

Dr. Lecter
04-30-2008, 02:38 PM
So, my wife and I aren't the only loony season ticket holders who live in North Carolina?

Your wife isn't loony!

Ebenezer
04-30-2008, 02:47 PM
not at all! and must be something about North Carolinians from Buffalo - the ones I've met are all great people.

Johnny Bugmenot
04-30-2008, 03:59 PM
why is the american dollar stregthening any time soon? The economy isn't getting better any time soon. The dollar's hey days are over for at least another 5 years. There is inflationary worry and out of control debt that devalue's the dollar big time.

In fact if Ralph got paid in Canadian dollars and holds it in Canadian dollars it will be worth more by the time the 5 year contract runs out. and when you multiple a couple cent change to $78MM, that's a huge profit simply by playing the currency.
You answered your own question. A slower economy reduces the amount of dollars on the market. When fewer dollars are available that increases the value of each individual dollar.

Jan Reimers
04-30-2008, 04:45 PM
not at all! and must be something about North Carolinians from Buffalo - the ones I've met are all great people.
I've lived in several states, and WNYers are the most genuine, friendliest people I've ever met. I love coming back home several times a year.

trapezeus
04-30-2008, 05:03 PM
You answered your own question. A slower economy reduces the amount of dollars on the market. When fewer dollars are available that increases the value of each individual dollar.

Not exactly. A slower economy that is asking for bailouts from china and the middle east is a big problem. These areas have been building cash reserves for years. Now we need them to bail out our financial institutions, and they are asking for bigger payments, because 1. they are in the driver seats and 2. they already have a ton of US cash. They need an incentive to take on the currency risk. Especially a currency that's tanking.

Also particularly troublesome is that food and oil prices are sky rocketing, so inflation concerns are growing. Before you know it, we can be in a horrible economy with no jobs and no growth, yet everyday products to homes get higher prices.

I literally don't think we are going to see the currency situation revert back to 1980's to 1990's rates for at least another 10-15 years at the minimum.

You could politicize this and assign blame to whatever group you want. but it's more productive to try to find a way out of this. And I'm not really sure what the right anwsers are.

ajsdx
04-30-2008, 06:32 PM

WOOHOO! ;)

Losman4Life
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
22 minutes ago

The payment to the Bills was disclosed for the first time in Rogers Communications’ 2008 first-quarter report released Tuesday. The Toronto-based company is part of a consortium that negotiated a deal with the Bills to have them play five regular-season and three preseason games, starting this year, at the downtown Rogers Centre.

In becoming the NFL’s first team to play annual games outside the United States, the Bills are scheduled to host Pittsburgh in a preseason match at Toronto on Aug. 14, followed by a regular-season game against Miami on Dec. 7.

Rogers spokeswoman Jan Innes would not comment beyond the one-paragraph statement included in the company report, except to say the $78 million figure was in Canadian currency. The Canadian dollar hovered around par to its U.S. counterpart during the first quarter this year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ag3lqRikajUnqRvLVDMFkRs5nYcB?slug=ap-bills-torontorevenues&prov=ap&type=lgns

Damn that is a lot of cash! Now it makes sense for us to move Toronto and I have family in there so I hope I can see us play a few games there.

There are some really hot canadian chicks too!!

PromoTheRobot
05-01-2008, 11:27 AM
You're right. Nobody even a considered the Bills a franchise to relocate until Ralph swung this deal with Toronto. :laughing: Well the cats out of the bag now!

PTR

seanbillsfan
05-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Damn that is a lot of cash! Now it makes sense for us to move Toronto and I have family in there so I hope I can see us play a few games there.

There are some really hot canadian chicks too!!
not cool :rage:

Johnny Bugmenot
05-01-2008, 07:29 PM
Isn't most of the expatriate Western New York population living in North Carolina at this point?

Most of the people I know who have left the area, that's where they've gone-- straight to North Carolina.

kernowboy
05-02-2008, 02:31 AM
Speaking from over in England, its the way your teams work.

When Wimbledon FC moved to Milton Keynes to become the MK Dons, there was uproar from soccer fans across the entire country not just fans of the team.

But in North America, it doesn't seem to be that much of an issue. You've got the Supersonics moving to Oklahoma and Canada have lost the Expos, Nordiques, Jets and Grizzlies to various cities in the USA.

If the culture amongst the sporting authorities and owners is that it is ok to move franchises chasing the biggest bucks then its going to happen.

The only way the Bills won't move when Ralph Wilson dies is if there is community ownership like with the Packers.

Toronto, from the strong luxury box revenue stream will be able to quickly build a larger stadium with more seats to assuage any reluctance to support from other owners concerned about any revenue sharing implications. After all in 10years the extra venue is $780m enough to get loans for a new stadium.

And if Toronto go after the 2020 Olympics (especially if the USA don't get it in 2016) then they will get Government money for the stadium as a major part of any bid will have a future legacy use.

The Argonauts will continue to play - you can bet Rogers will find a way to keep that franchise working because he won't want to aggravate the Canadians.

If sports fans in the USA tolerate franchise relocations and have done so for maybe 90 years (didn't the Bears once play in Decateur?) sooner or later it will affect your team.

The question must be: Toronto or Los Angeles or San Antonio?