PDA

View Full Version : Avery, Drury, Gomez, & Jagr one game away from being swept and playing golf

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Crosby set up Marian Hossa’s goal 62 seconds into the game and dished the puck to Malkin for the go-ahead goal with 2:07 left in the second. Malkin also assisted on Georges Laraque’s first-period goal as the Penguins won for the first time in five trips to the Garden this season.

Ryan Malone added an insurance goal early in the third period.

Marc-Andre Fleury outplayed Vezina finalist Henrik Lundqvist, making 36 saves as the Penguins improved to 7-0 in this year’s playoffs despite being outshot 39-17. Pittsburgh is one win away from beating the Rangers for the fourth time in as many meetings in the playoffs.

The Penguins quieted the sellout crowd by scoring just over a minute into the game. Crosby triggered a 3-on-2 rush by picking off Michal Rozsival’s pass at the Pittsburgh blue line. He passed to Pascal Dupuis, who carried into the Rangers’ zone and fed Crosby, whose deflection was stopped by Lundqvist. But the rebound came to Hossa, who was alone in the left circle and quickly rammed it past Lundqvist 62 seconds into the game. It was Hossa’s first goal of the series; he was scoreless on seven shots in Game 2.

The Rangers dominated the next few minutes, with Fleury making excellent stops on Jaromir Jagr and Marc Staal. He also got a break when Martin Straka missed from the slot with the net wide open after Jagr carried around the net and drew Fleury out of position.

Lundqvist kept the deficit at one with just over seven minutes left in the period when he slid from right to left to stop Hossa, who was left wide-open in the slot to take a pass from Dupuis. That save became even bigger when the Rangers finally got a puck past Fleury at 14:32. With the Rangers crashing the crease, Straka put a rebound off Fleury and over the goal line during a scramble that saw Jagr shoved into the net. The goal was allowed after a video review.

But Pittsburgh quickly went back in front thanks to a mixed line and a fortunate bounce. Petr Sykora’s passout from behind the net deflected off Malkin’s skate and right to fourth-liner Laraque, who was alone and zipped a high 10-foot wrist shot just under the crossbar at 16:17.

The Penguins, who had scored at least one power-play goal in each of their first six playoff games, extended their streak after Ryan Callahan drew a double minor for high-sticking Hal Gill at 16:49. Malkin, who had never scored at the Garden, teed up a straightaway slap shot from about 55 feet that went past three players and inside the post past Lundqvist’s left leg at 17:41. That gave the Penguins two goals in 84 seconds and a 3-1 lead after the first period despite being outshot 15-9.

The Rangers had an early chance to get back in the game when penalties to Sykora at 2:52 and Dupuis at 4:11 gave them a two-man advantage for 41 seconds. Fleury’s best save came when he denied Jagr on a solo dash down the left side. Before Dupuis’ penalty could expire, Brooks Orpik was called for high-sticking Callahan, giving the Rangers another two-man edge, this one for 35 seconds. They didn’t score on that one, either, nor on the rest of Orpik’s penalty — leaving them still down 3-1 midway through the period despite outshooting Pittsburgh 9-1 in the period and 24-10 for the game.

But Scott Gomez and Callahan combined to give the Rangers and the crowd some life at 12:07. After a dump-in, Gomez bumped defenseman Rob Scuderi off the puck before feeding Callahan for a quick wrist shot from just off the left post.

Gomez got his second assist on Jagr’s tying goal at 13:11, leaving a drop pass for Jagr behind the net. The Rangers’ captain circled the net, came out to Fleury’s left, curled and whipped a wrist shot inside the post for his 75th career playoff goal.

Gomez nearly had the tying goal with 4:46 left in the period when he ripped a slap shot from the right circle past Fleury but off the near post. The Rangers had all the momentum and were outshooting the Penguins 14-3 in the period, but a needless boarding penalty against New York’s Ryan Hollweg for boarding at 15:56not only quieted the crowd but led to the go-ahead goal. The Penguins’ power-play unit controlled the puck in New York’s zone for well over a minute, exhausting the penalty-killers, before Malkin’s blast from the right circle beat Lundqvist through a screen at 17:53.

That left the Rangers trailing 4-3 after two periods despite outshooting Pittsburgh 29-14.

Malkin won a faceoff that led to Malone’s goal at 2:30 of the third period, further silencing the crowd. Malone was alone in the slot when he deflected Kris Letang’s slapper from the right point past Lundqvist.

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=362052

OpIv37
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
I like Gomez- I actually met him once because a friend of mine grew up with him in Alaska.

Drury was great for us- it's not his fault that our FO is incompetent.

Jagr and Avery can **** off and die. I think I hate Avery more than anyone else in the league.

Ebenezer
04-29-2008, 10:30 PM
the flip side is that the Pens are going to be very good for many years...that could have been the Sabres with better forethought after the carolina series.

TheGhostofJimKelly
04-30-2008, 07:21 AM
Without sounding negative towards a player that isn't on the Sabres anymore, but where is "captain clutch" in this round? I have seen points in a game when the Rangers needed a goal and he isn't anywhere to be found.

RockStar36
04-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Besides Drury, I don't think there is one team in the NHL that has more people on the team that I can't stand. Avery, Jagr, and Shannahan lead the way.

The only bad part is I'm surrounded by wagon hopping Penguin fans.

don137
04-30-2008, 10:12 AM
All that spending by the Rangers and they still make it no farther than last year....

I don't understand Pittsburgh. Where do they get all the money to sign players like Malkin and Crosby and still have enough to field a team? Weren't they bankrupt and on the brink of moving to Kansas City?

RockStar36
04-30-2008, 11:31 AM
All that spending by the Rangers and they still make it no farther than last year....

I don't understand Pittsburgh. Where do they get all the money to sign players like Malkin and Crosby and still have enough to field a team? Weren't they bankrupt and on the brink of moving to Kansas City?

Those guys were draft picks.

Crosby altered his contract to be friendly towards the orginization...sometimes MOST players wouldn't do.

They have done a good job of building from within.

chernobylwraiths
04-30-2008, 11:41 AM
I don't think Malkin is signed long term yet. Crosby still makes around 8 to 9 mil a season. They still have to wrap up players like Fluery and Staal among others. They will lose talent as well if they give it all to Crosby and malkin. Already they will probably lose Orpik after this season.

RockStar36
04-30-2008, 11:47 AM
You're right. I just looked at their cap situation and they are going to change dramatically in the next season or two.

This season is their "window" to win the cup. It will close in two years.

BlackMetalNinja
04-30-2008, 11:50 AM
Malkin is an RFA next year... Other than Crosby and I think one other player whose name escapes me without looking (I think it's Malone...), they have nobody signed beyond the next 2 years.

RockStar36
04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Malkin is an RFA next year... Other than Crosby and I think one other player whose name escapes me without looking (I think it's Malone...), they have nobody signed beyond the next 2 years.

They have a few people signed but not "major" players. And by "major" I mean young rising stars. Staal is going to demand a ton of money. So is Fleury. I always thought Fleury was overrated until this post-season but they will lost Conklin so there goes the reliable backup goalie. Not to mention Malkin will get tons of money thrown at him.

Crosby is making a ton of money but his cap hit is really low. I can't figure out if the cap hit changes from year to year or if they rigged it that way. If they rigged it that way, kudos to Pittsburgh.

don137
04-30-2008, 12:00 PM
Those guys were draft picks.

Crosby altered his contract to be friendly towards the orginization...sometimes MOST players wouldn't do.

They have done a good job of building from within.

Yea, I meant to say how do they have all that money to have all that talent (drafted or not) under contract. I realize players like Malkin and Staal maybe under there rookie contract but Crosby makes good cash.

The thing is how many of those guys are top 5 picks.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
04-30-2008, 12:01 PM

Sabres should throw an offer sheet down at Malkin like the Oilers did with Vanek. :snicker:

:dream: a line with Vanek, Malkin and Roy how :sick: would that be

RockStar36
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
Crosby only has a cap hit of 3.7 million. He is scheduled to make like 9 mil for the next 5 years.

JD
05-01-2008, 12:32 PM
Throwing an offersheet at Malkin would be bad ass.

I'd trade 3 first rounders for him

SabreEleven
05-01-2008, 12:53 PM
That would be sweet but this FO has no balls and doesn't want to rock the NHL ship plus Pittsburgh will have him signed as soon as the playoffs are over. Smart front office's think ahead unlike other ones that we know. ;)

RockStar36
05-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Pittsburgh will be busy trying to sign Hossa, Orpik, and Fleury this off-season. They have their hands full right now.

Michael82
05-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Throwing an offersheet at Malkin would be bad ass.

I'd trade 3 first rounders for him
I would too. He would be the young star this team needs. :up: