PDA

View Full Version : The first 2 sacks of the the first 2 drives, and other thoughts, tidbits, and ?'s

PA Season Ticket Holder
08-26-2002, 12:20 AM
The 1st sack Mike Williams must've had the snap count wrong or thinking about something besides football. He was still in his stance while everyone else had started the play. The defender was going around him before he even woke up and realized what the hell was going on. All Williams on that one.

The 2nd sack was kinda crazy. Centers went out to the flat and cut into the path of the defender and Williams. In the process he ran right into the defender and knocked him back when Williams had the position for the block. Williams wasn't quick enough to recover and the defender ran right past him for the sack. Bledsoe could've gotten the ball away with a quicker release or had he seen him coming a little sooner. I think it was Moulds, but he came off the coverage streaking to the middle of the field. Easy 15+ yard gain had he gotten it off.

The 3rd play he got sacked Bledsoe was looking downfield to covered receivers the whole time while Henry was standing by himself with no defender around. If he would've pulled the trigger on him it could've been a big play by the time the CB noticed it and broke his coverage off of Eric.

And what's up with Henry? The dude runs 15 yards for a 1 yard gain. He keeps running backwards when he comes across defenders. He looks like Barry Sanders when he does it but the only difference he never breaks them off for a long run or TD like Sanders did.

Riemersma totally blew the draw play to Bryson for the loss. He stood there looking in front of him when there was nobody to block while Rob Morris ran right by him around the corner.

Charlie Rogers is looking more like the 1999 version of Chris Watson then a top return man.

Does Sheldon jackson ever catch anything? Maybe he's afraid of breaking a nail.

Why can't we gain a yard? Like on the goal to goal last week and the 3rd and 4th down plays.

The only reason why our defense looked better is because of no threat of the run. They passed all game because they have nobody who can run the ball. Pretty easy if they pass every play. And it still didn't play that great. We still don't have much of a pass rush. The only way we get any type of pressure is if we blitz, and that will leave us open to big plays. But on the otherhand, with no rush from the front 4, we will get picked apart anyway. Chidi and Shawn Price isn't close to being the answer. The Colts weren't clicking either. If they were they would've killed us.

Ok, it's not all doom and gloom...

Morris looks great on ST's. I didn't care if we cut him or not, but he's a valuable key to our ST's. He'll make the team.

Moulds and Price are making some nice catches and look like they want to play again. Reed is look decent for a rookie WR.

Damn, Bledsoe can fire that ball in there, but has one hell of a slow release.

Yeah, yeah I know it's only preseason, but that's what everyone was saying last year at this time and we all know how that turned out. There is some sloppy play. Some of it will come with experience and getting used to the new schemes a little more. Lets sure hope it gets turned around cause I'd hate it if everyone has to learn a new scheme next year too if GW got fired and give the Patriots a high pick. We now have 3 different offensive schemes in 3 years. We dont' need a new changeover and have to learn everything over again.

We might win 6 or 7 games. We still have way too many holes to fill.

Mr Bill
08-26-2002, 01:03 AM
Very good break down PA. :up:

I too am dropping towards 6 or 7 wins, after hearing Saturdays debacle.

John Doe
08-26-2002, 06:33 AM
Great post.

Patrick76777
08-26-2002, 08:17 AM
It was a road game, Remember; road games are always tough, even in the preseason. Sure I saw a bunch of things I didn’t like, but I will say that the Colts beat the snot out of us in both meetings last year. Including being up 35-17 at the half in the game in Indy. This game was 13-7 at halftime. I’ll take that vs. Indy in the regular season. Road games are tough. Teams need to fight, bite and claw their way to victory and its not always pretty. It’s night and day, compared to home games. So if we can just keep the tough ones close, maybe Drew can pull it out in the clutch.

lordofgun
08-26-2002, 02:35 PM
Very good post, PA! I agree with just about everything you say.

BUT...

I still refuse to panic until the real games start!

Earthquake Enyart
08-26-2002, 02:43 PM
PA: If you misspelled a couple of words and made a few mistakes, it could go on the front page! :)

PA Season Ticket Holder
08-26-2002, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by Earthquake Enyart
PA: If you misspelled a couple of words and made a few mistakes, it could go on the front page! :)

LMAO

If I misspelled a couple words or made mistakes it could? I guess I'll have to try harder to be wrong next time :)