PDA

View Full Version : Keep an eye on the C Baker situation

acehole
04-30-2008, 07:37 AM
Not happy with his statues on the team....just might be a june 1st cut.....

streetkings01
04-30-2008, 07:47 AM
He also wants to be paid more than he is actually worth!

acehole
04-30-2008, 07:56 AM
He also wants to be paid more than he is actually worth!

wE JUST GOT 78 MILL We can do that for him.

He is an all around TE.

Mahdi
04-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Not happy with his statues on the team....just might be a june 1st cut.....
No thanks...He's a rich man's Robert Royal which isnt saying much....

madness
04-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Smith from Tampa should be available as well.

Pinkerton Security
04-30-2008, 08:31 AM
No thanks...He's a rich man's Robert Royal which isnt saying much....

I would disagree. I think Baker is a pretty good pass-catching TE, which is exactly what Royal is not.

Tatonka
04-30-2008, 08:32 AM
alex smith from tampa will be available?? why? he was their 1st or 2nd rounder just a few years ago and has not played bad. marginal fantasy player, but that doesnt mean much.

acehole
04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
I would disagree. I think Baker is a pretty good pass-catching TE, which is exactly what Royal is not.

He is a vet as well and although I like a youth movement we need a vet somwhere at some piont.

THATHURMANATOR
04-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Guys we have like 10 TEs now. Why another that isnt top flight?

Mahdi
04-30-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah Baker is a pass catching TE but he's not very good at it. He is better than Royal as a receiver but not by much. He's not very explosive and doesnt really stretch the field at all. He is a medium range receiver that you can throw to in zones, not much more than that...

To put it in perspective....

Chris Baker : 41 rec, 409 yds, 3 TDs -- 10.0 yd/rec

Robert Royal: 25 rec, 248 yds, 3 TD -- 9.9 yds/rec

Royal split time with Gaines who also had 25 receptions while Baker was the only target at TE for the Jets.

Theres a reason the Jets dont want to pay Baker what he believes he is worth and drafted Keller instead while also signing Bubba Franks.

mysticsoto
04-30-2008, 08:47 AM
The Bills had great pass catching TEs in the draft that they dismissed. They want TEs that can block and also play STs. How is Baker at these?

Dozerdog
04-30-2008, 08:50 AM
alex smith from tampa will be available?? why? he was their 1st or 2nd rounder just a few years ago and has not played bad. marginal fantasy player, but that doesnt mean much.

If he's a 1st or 2nd rounder- he's probably slotted for a pretty good payday.

Production might be good but maybe he's making too much

Dozerdog
04-30-2008, 08:51 AM
If he's a 1st or 2nd rounder- he's probably slotted for a pretty good payday.

Production might be good but maybe he's making too muchThis is why you don't draft TE's high unless they are freaks of nature

RockStar36
04-30-2008, 08:54 AM
No way would I want Baker. I don't like what we have in Royal but Baker would be no improvement.

Pinkerton Security
04-30-2008, 08:56 AM
Yeah Baker is a pass catching TE but he's not very good at it. He is better than Royal as a receiver but not by much. He's not very explosive and doesnt really stretch the field at all. He is a medium range receiver that you can throw to in zones, not much more than that...

To put it in perspective....

Chris Baker : 41 rec, 409 yds, 3 TDs -- 10.0 yd/rec

Robert Royal: 25 rec, 248 yds, 3 TD -- 9.9 yds/rec

Royal split time with Gaines who also had 25 receptions while Baker was the only target at TE for the Jets.

Theres a reason the Jets dont want to pay Baker what he believes he is worth and drafted Keller instead while also signing Bubba Franks.

agreed, but to put it in a different perspective, he would have been our 3rd leading receiver, with more catches and yards and Roscoe. Thats not saying muh, but still.

There is a 95% certainty we wont go after him anyways, so I guess its probably a moot point with all of our TE's.

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2008, 09:00 AM
I agree.

If there's a trade possibility for Antonio Gates, sign me up.
If we feel Shockey could still play, bring him in.
If Jason Witten says he wants to play for Buffalo, I'm all ears.

But I'm not gonna **** around with another mediocre Chris Baker or Zach Miller or Alex Smith or Jeb Putzier. We've got 6 of those already.

madness
04-30-2008, 09:08 AM

Word out of Tampa is that they aren't happy with his production. Tampa also signed 2 TE FA's this year to add to the speculation...

Tampa Bay also added speed and blocking ability at tight end with Ben Troupe (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6799) (Titans) and John Gilmore (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?statsId=6131) (Bears). Troupe will be a unique addition in the passing game with his speed and athleticism, while Gilmore excels as a run-blocker.

Mahdi
04-30-2008, 09:16 AM
I agree.

If there's a trade possibility for Antonio Gates, sign me up.
If we feel Shockey could still play, bring him in.
If Jason Witten says he wants to play for Buffalo, I'm all ears.

But I'm not gonna **** around with another mediocre Chris Baker or Zach Miller or Alex Smith or Jeb Putzier. We've got 6 of those already.
Actually I like Zach Miller though. He was doing real well at the end of the year for Oakland. He should have a big year with Russell and McFadden.

Tatonka
04-30-2008, 09:29 AM
i really wish we would have given troupe 4 million over 2 seasons. he is exactly what we needed. that was a stupid stupid mistake.

Tatonka
04-30-2008, 09:30 AM
Actually I like Zach Miller though. He was doing real well at the end of the year for Oakland. He should have a big year with Russell and McFadden.

and fargus.. and jordan... and rhoades... and bush... and.......

madness
04-30-2008, 09:32 AM
and fargus.. and jordan... and rhoades... and bush... and.......

Rhodes has already been released.

Tatonka
04-30-2008, 09:35 AM
i hope bush is too.. bring him in and cut wright for all i care.

Mahdi
04-30-2008, 09:38 AM
i hope bush is too.. bring him in and cut wright for all i care.
They like Bush a lot... no way he gets cut. In fact Bush could end up with more carries than Fargas this year.

Mahdi
04-30-2008, 09:42 AM
i really wish we would have given troupe 4 million over 2 seasons. he is exactly what we needed. that was a stupid stupid mistake.
I think Troupe is a little overrated. Courtney Anderson in the right situation can end up being just as productive as Troupe for a fraction of the cost. Getting Anderson and Teyo was smart IMO. They are both TEs that can break out with the right team in the right circumstances. They are joining an offense that features a strong OL, smart QB, deep threat in Lee and a huge target on the other side as well as a beast at RB. They will be singled up often and with their size and athleticism they should be able to make some plays. Both of these guys have only played on underachieving low talent teams so far.

Saratoga Slim
04-30-2008, 09:56 AM
I think Troupe is a little overrated. Courtney Anderson in the right situation can end up being just as productive as Troupe for a fraction of the cost. Getting Anderson and Teyo was smart IMO. They are both TEs that can break out with the right team in the right circumstances. They are joining an offense that features a strong OL, smart QB, deep threat in Lee and a huge target on the other side as well as a beast at RB. They will be singled up often and with their size and athleticism they should be able to make some plays. Both of these guys have only played on underachieving low talent teams so far.

Let's hope. The possiblity that they might break out must have played at least some role in the Bills taking Ellis instead of say Rucker in the 3rd.

raphael120
04-30-2008, 10:02 AM

Yeah Im sorry, I dont want Royal on this team anymore. I think my head will explode in a big chicken wing/labatts/brain matter goo cloud if he drops another critical pass or commits another stupid penalty that kills a critical drive late in a game.

Tatonka
04-30-2008, 11:38 AM
i feel lke troupe was in the exact same situation that you are describing with anderson and teyo.. i think he basically just needs to be in the right situation.

i dont know about that whole fraction of the cost thing either.. troupe didnt cost much at all and has 1st round talent.. he could potentially be a star like he was drafted to be.. in my opinion.. anderson was not a star and never will be.. teyo on the other hand is interesting.. he was also a 1st round TE talent, but what worries me is that he hasnt been able to stick anywhere.. even miami didnt want him.. so i dont have high hopes.. but i do.. if that makes sense.

Mr. Miyagi
04-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Let's hope. The possiblity that they might break out must have played at least some role in the Bills taking Ellis instead of say Rucker in the 3rd.
Tee Rucker is going to be a huge bust

[/sourgrape]

ddaryl
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
The Bills had great pass catching TEs in the draft that they dismissed. They want TEs that can block and also play STs. How is Baker at these?

Fine is a pass catching TE... he just isn't a field stretching TE. He is more of a hold your block roll out into the open field and snag the dump down pass TE. But he does run solid routes and I don't quite understand the negative feeling about us drafting him

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/derek-fine?id=1068

Analysis
Positives: Expected size for "moving" tight end/fullback. ... Excellent effort and upper body flexibility to block defensive ends or linebackers on the run. ... Very good receiver who runs precise routes and does not drop many balls. ... Reliable, tough, hard-working character guy. ... Good effort and open-field tackling ability on special teams.

Negatives: Not a true in-line blocking tight end because of a lack of size and strength (upper and lower body). ... Tough time getting off the line when threatened by linebackers. ... Does not possess great speed to threaten the seam in the Cover-2. ... Needs to fit in

JoeSelkirk
04-30-2008, 06:20 PM
Yeah Im sorry, I dont want Royal on this team anymore. I think my head will explode in a big chicken wing/labatts/brain matter goo cloud if he drops another critical pass or commits another stupid penalty that kills a critical drive late in a game.

Why not get someone better than Royal, than have your head explode if he's on the team?

You dont' get rid of someone if you dont' have a viable backup and they're a great locker room presence. Royal is not the problem. Needing a better tight end is a problem, but Royal is not a problem.

Philagape
04-30-2008, 06:28 PM
In terms of his potential role, Fine sounds like a TE some here wanted in FA .... Ben Utecht (who was a UDFA)

DrGraves
04-30-2008, 06:41 PM
ill say it again, shockey.

yordad
04-30-2008, 06:59 PM
My sources tell me the Bills aren't using a TE this year. They are going to field 3 tackles this year, and an H-back.

Philagape
04-30-2008, 07:03 PM
I want the Full House winged T

OpIv37
04-30-2008, 08:41 PM

because all 10 TE's we have now suck. I bet Baker's better than at least 9 of them, arguably all of them.

This is what infuriates me about this team. We haven't had a good TE since Metzalaars. It's so frustrating when the FO either does nothing about the position or repeatedly fails in its' attempts to address the position.