PDA

View Full Version : My comments on every NFC team's draft

Coach Sal
04-30-2008, 09:48 PM
I'll have my AFC comments wihtin the next couple days. Here's the NFC:

NFC Draft comments and analysis (http://www.salsports.com/2008%20Draft%20analysis.htm)

gr8slayer
04-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Hey coach, I noticed that you made the comment about Jones picking with his head or his heart........ Here's a tid bit of information for you; Felix Jones is the first person out of Arkansas that Jerry Jones has ever drafted. This drafting with his heart is a thing made up by the media and is completely false.

If it were the case he would have done it many other times over the years.

In regards to your comment about the WR corps; Jones has already said that Owens will be a Cowboy after his contract is up this year, beyond that he has mentioned Glenn being a part of the future and the team and coaches (including Garrett) are all extremely high on Stanback. Jones also gave Crayton an extension last season. Sam Hurd is also someone who has been learning under Owens and word is he's ready to be whatever the team needs him to be.

I don't think that they viewed WR as being that big of an issue this season because of their power running game, their willingness to use their power running game, their excellent OL, an all-pro TE, a second TE who can stretch the field, and an all-pro QB. Jones is trying to make a run this year and I just don't think he viewed WR as being an issue right now, if it turns out to be one you can be rest assured that he will draft one next year, and if history is any indication it won't be one from Arkansas :up:

Mitchy moo
04-30-2008, 10:15 PM
Hey coach, I noticed that you made the comment about Jones pick with his head or his heart........ Here's a tid bit of information for you; Felix Jones is the first person out of Arkansas that Jerry Jones has every drafted. This drafting with his heart is a thing made up by the media and is completely false.

No one knows what's in someone's head.

Coach Sal
04-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Hey coach, I noticed that you made the comment about Jones picking with his head or his heart........ Here's a tid bit of information for you; Felix Jones is the first person out of Arkansas that Jerry Jones has ever drafted. This drafting with his heart is a thing made up by the media and is completely false.

If it were the case he would have done it many other times over the years.

Just because he has never drafted an Arky kid doesn't mean it didn't play a role in his drafting Felix where he did.

If Felix had gone to a school other than Arkansas, do you think he still would have picked him over Mendenhall? I don't.

Coach Sal
04-30-2008, 10:25 PM
From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

But, "the Arkansas connection unique to this year helped me feel good about that pick," Jerry Jones said.

Because he's known so many people at Arkansas so well and for so long, Jerry Jones had the chance to research Felix Jones better than most players that he was going to be in a position to draft....

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/607986.html

gr8slayer
04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Just because he has never drafted an Arky kid doesn't mean it didn't play a role in his drafting Felix where he did.

If Felix had gone to a school other than Arkansas, do you think he still would have picked him over Mendenhall? I don't.
Mendenhall also played in an offense in college that he won't see at all in the NFL.

Jones' reasoning for drafting Jones over Mendenhall was that he fit Garrett's offense better than any of the remaining RB's, you as a coach should be able to appreciate that more than anyone here.

gr8slayer
04-30-2008, 10:29 PM
From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram:

http://www.star-telegram.com/332/story/607986.html
I'm not denying that it may have had something to do with it, but to say that it was the sole reasoning behind it (like some of the media "experts" have done) is just ignorant. Jones' research is just as extensive as anyone's in the league, he's smart enough to know that if Mendenhall truly gives him a better chance to win then Mendenhall is his guy. One thing that you might not have caught wind of is the fact that he (for the first time in years) allowed the coaches to have more of a say in the drafting, perhaps they too felt that Jones was the better pick.

gr8slayer
04-30-2008, 10:31 PM
Mendenhall also played in an offense in college that he won't see at all in the NFL.

Jones' reasoning for drafting Jones over Mendenhall was that he fit Garrett's offense better than any of the remaining RB's, you as a coach should be able to appreciate that more than anyone here.
Allow me to rephrase this; he played in an offense that he likely won't see but fifteen percent of the time with Dallas.

gr8slayer
04-30-2008, 10:39 PM
As a closing comment for the night I'd also like to add the fact that the Cowboys lack much depth in the KR/PR game, that's something else that Jones can do and do well. It will allow Newman to be a full time CB, something that we need in Dallas bad. He also brings something to the Cowboys offense that has been lacking a bit over the last few years and that's someone who can catch out of the backfield.

Overall your draft breakdown was very good, thanks for posting it.

Coach Sal
04-30-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm not denying that it may have had something to do with it, but to say that it was the sole reasoning behind it (like some of the media "experts" have done) is just ignorant.

I didn't do that (as I don't think you are implying). I just questioned it in what I wrote.

Overall your draft breakdown was very good, thanks for posting it.

Thank You. I didn't realize you were a Dallas fan. Thanks for the input on your team.

gr8slayer
04-30-2008, 11:30 PM
I didn't do that (as I don't think you are implying). I just questioned it in what I wrote.
The comment was in no way directed towards you. No need to take offense.

Thank You. I didn't realize you were a Dallas fan. Thanks for the input on your team.