PDA

View Full Version : Josh Reed is still the best WR on this team....

Coach Sal
04-30-2008, 11:08 PM
....at blocking!

And if hey cut him (which I don't think they will) the Bills will be getting rid of an aspect of the game every team needs and no one currently on the roster can replace.

I go back and watch some game films from last year sometimes and there are many plays where Reed goes unnoticed but did a great job sealing off the edge...or cracking a DE....or stalk blocking a CB or LB downfield.

A couple of Marshawn's better runs would not have heppened without Reed's block.

Here are two great examples:

(play starts at 2:04; Reed seals off right side for Lynch TD)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803e8d1b

(play starts at :13. Reed PANCAKES Ravens CB Derrick Martin from right side)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8037eeef

We need this guy on the field.

LABillsFan
04-30-2008, 11:11 PM
Glad you brought that up. It's one aspect of a receiver that gets overlooked so often, how are they when they don't have the ball. Do they sell their routes when they aren't the primary or on a run play. I'd like to see some of Hardy's blocking as well.

Buffalogic
04-30-2008, 11:21 PM
Josh did a good for us in the slot last year. I expect his productivity to increase with the threat of Hardy.

Devin
04-30-2008, 11:25 PM
Josh reed has long been not just a good, but a great blocking WR. Dating back to his days at LSU thats always been a strong part of his game.

Now he gets that "pass catching" part of his game down and he will be set!

Coach Sal
04-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Holy crap. Watch Derrick Dockery at left guard on the 2nd clip.

Oh. My. God. He blows up RAY LEWIS after pulling into the hole!!

LABillsFan
04-30-2008, 11:33 PM
Holy crap. Watch Derrick Dockery at left guard on the 2nd clip.

Oh. My. God. He blows up RAY LEWIS after pulling into the hole!!

And give props to Royal who ran down the field and found someone to block.

PECKERWOOD
04-30-2008, 11:35 PM
Josh Reed is our most underrated WR and he is a very good #3 option.

DrGraves
04-30-2008, 11:36 PM
omg, i almost puked when i said this thread title... haha but yea hes a good blocker but ive hated him ever since that wide open flea flicker drop against the jags a few years back.

camelcowboy
04-30-2008, 11:47 PM
omg, i almost puked when i said this thread title... haha but yea hes a good blocker but ive hated him ever since that wide open flea flicker drop against the jags a few years back.

He dropped a flee flicker from bledsoe against red skins a few years back I've hated him since that day.

Yasgur's Farm
05-01-2008, 06:13 AM
Thanks coach... Reed's blocking coupled with his 51 receptions make him the clear #3 over Parrish. Those plays don't happen with Parrish on the field!

jamze132
05-01-2008, 06:48 AM
I seriously doubt Josh Reed is in any danger of losing his job on this team unless one of the younger guys shows they can blockas good or better than he can.

We all know Josh gets a case of the dropsies from time to time and doesn't catch many balls, but his value with the Bills is in the run game. I for one am not a huge fan of one dimensional receivers but until someone steps up, he's going to be on this team and out there for more than half the game.

Saratoga Slim
05-01-2008, 07:47 AM
Finally! The complete Tight End we were looking for -- and he was right under our noses the whole time.

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2008, 07:49 AM
Reed really only had the dropsies in his second season.

streetkings01
05-01-2008, 07:51 AM
I like Josh Reed personally! He moves the chains for us and gets a bad rap from his 2003-2005 days IMO!

eyedog
05-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Evans, Hardy, Reed, Parrish, Johnson.

I can't see any reason to keep six. Johnson should be able to help on special teams.

acehole
05-01-2008, 07:55 AM
I agree with you that he is a good blocker. But you have to account more for Hardy then you do reed as a defense. You may have to cheat a saftey deeper or cheat more coverage to his side...and that will open up some other areas. With the introduction of the fullback this year Reed is expendable. No mater how good reed is he won't be better then a fullback coming out of the backfield.

....at blocking!

And if hey cut him (which I don't think they will) the Bills will be getting rid of an aspect of the game every team needs and no one currently on the roster can replace.

I go back and watch some game films from last year sometimes and there are many plays where Reed goes unnoticed but did a great job sealing off the edge...or cracking a DE....or stalk blocking a CB or LB downfield.

A couple of Marshawn's better runs would not have heppened without Reed's block.

Here are two great examples:

(play starts at 2:04; Reed seals off right side for Lynch TD)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d803e8d1b

(play starts at :13. Reed PANCAKES Ravens CB Derrick Martin from right side)
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8037eeef

We need this guy on the field.

DraftBoy
05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
I think Reed starts this year over Hardy for most of the season due to his blocking ability.

The King
05-01-2008, 08:00 AM
It does seem like the only WR who gets credit for his blocking skills is Hines Ward. But I agree Reed is a solid blocker, he just has a great build for it. Reed never lived up to his second round hype but he is great depth. And I would love to see us hold onto him.

colin
05-01-2008, 08:04 AM
noice!

we need hardy because as said above we have no physical guys to draw attention. if they just have a LB looking at the qb zoning off to cover hardy it will be completed every time.

hope we have the right mix now!

trapezeus
05-01-2008, 08:14 AM
i agree. he's a good blocker. however, i've heard that his "back" injury that sidelines him during games and practices is pretty severe and that it is getting worse each season. So i'm not sure how much time he has left with more games taht he could potentially miss.

eyedog
05-01-2008, 08:16 AM
I think Reed starts this year over Hardy for most of the season due to his blocking ability.

That's not happening. Maybe the first couple of weeks at most. Hardy wasn't taken to sit behind Reed.

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2008, 09:03 AM
I agree with you that he is a good blocker. But you have to account more for Hardy then you do reed as a defense. You may have to cheat a saftey deeper or cheat more coverage to his side...and that will open up some other areas. With the introduction of the fullback this year Reed is expendable. No mater how good reed is he won't be better then a fullback coming out of the backfield.

The blocking a WR does is much different than the blocing a FB does, so the FB will not affect Reed.

yordad
05-01-2008, 09:12 AM

He dropped a flee flicker from bledsoe against red skins a few years back I've hated him since that day.Appearently flea flickers aren't his thing.

Anyways, right on sal. Good call. I will add that as a true #3, with a true #1 and #2, Reed could really shine. A solid TE would have helped too though.

yordad
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
The blocking a WR does is much different than the blocing a FB does, so the FB will not affect Reed.NTM, we have stoned handed FBs.

justasportsfan
05-01-2008, 09:14 AM
he's the most consistent safety net for both our qb's while trying to develop.

DraftBoy
05-01-2008, 09:16 AM
That's not happening. Maybe the first couple of weeks at most. Hardy wasn't taken to sit behind Reed.

Until Hardy improves his route running and his blocking I dont see him starting over Reed. Reed is way too valuable to the team in our passing and running game to be the #3 WR at this point, imo.

Dr. Lecter
05-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Until Hardy improves his route running and his blocking I dont see him starting over Reed. Reed is way too valuable to the team in our passing and running game to be the #3 WR at this point, imo.

I agree 100%.

While there will be packages that have Evans and Hardy onthe field together, Reed will get most of the snaps as the #2 guy.

Although when they go 3-wide, Reed will be in the slot (or Parrish) and Hardy will be wide.

djjimkelly
05-01-2008, 09:20 AM
i have no doubt that hardy with his size eventually becomes not only an adequate run blocker but a premier one in this league

justasportsfan
05-01-2008, 09:24 AM
Lee=deep wr
Hardy ,= mid range
Reed,TE and Lynch/JAckson =short/dump offs.

Parrish and Jackson can be on all three.

DraftBoy
05-01-2008, 09:26 AM
I agree 100%.

While there will be packages that have Evans and Hardy onthe field together, Reed will get most of the snaps as the #2 guy.

Although when they go 3-wide, Reed will be in the slot (or Parrish) and Hardy will be wide.

You got it!

eyedog
05-01-2008, 09:52 AM
You guys are crazy.
If Reed was so valuable and good they wouldn't have needed Hardy in the first place.
Just having Hardy on the field with his skill set will open things up that they couldn't do with Reed. Reed has no speed or size, thus the need for Hardy in the first place.
And no you still want Reed to play in front of Hardy ????

eyedog
05-01-2008, 09:54 AM
Reed isn't a matchup problem for any defense.
With Evans, hardy and Parrish in the slot you can create matchup problems.

raphael120
05-01-2008, 10:36 AM
It's bad when your WR is a better blocker than your center...can Reed play center?? PLEASE

madness
05-01-2008, 10:43 AM
Didn't he also lead everybody on O in 3rd down completions for 1st downs?

dannyek71
05-01-2008, 03:35 PM
Reed started over LE when he 1st broke into the league

Philagape
05-01-2008, 03:57 PM
Reed started over LE when he 1st broke into the league

In Evans' rookie year, he started 11 of 16 games, while Reed started 1 of 12. Evans had 48 catches to Reed's 16.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2004.htm

PECKERWOOD
05-01-2008, 03:57 PM
We need to just work him into the lineup gradually. I'm more than fine with using Hardy as our #3 for the first quarter of the season or so.

dannyek71
05-01-2008, 04:09 PM
In Evans' rookie year, he started 11 of 16 games, while Reed started 1 of 12. Evans had 48 catches to Reed's 16.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2004.htm

Who started the game vs Jac?

I can see them doing the same with Hardy. EM, PP and LE all started slow (like most wr in the league) and I envision hardy will do the same

Philagape
05-01-2008, 04:15 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Hardy started after the bye, if not sooner.

Ultra Chimp 1
05-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Hardy's jock is a better receiver than Josh Reed has been in the last five years.

How many times do you Bills fans have to be told that Josh Reed is a terrible receiver.

patmoran2006
05-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Reed really only had the dropsies in his second season.
Reed suffers from the "cant get opens"

Having said that.. it would be a mistake to cut him.. Coach Sal is right.. And I think WITHOUT having the pressure of having to put up #2 numbers, Reed will be a much better WR.

codabills
05-02-2008, 08:12 AM
Reed cost a game with a holding penalty in 06. A TD was called back because of it. He should of been gone after that season.

yordad
05-02-2008, 09:42 AM
Reed cost a game with a holding penalty in 06. A TD was called back because of it. He should of been gone after that season.We cut guys for getting a holding penalty? :poop:

justasportsfan
05-02-2008, 10:32 AM
We cut guys for getting a holding penalty? :poop:
I'm gonna miss Jason Peters.

acehole
05-02-2008, 04:30 PM
The blocking a WR does is much different than the blocing a FB does, so the FB will not affect Reed.

I know this.

Not the piont.

Piont is while Reed has one CB on him to cover him (Because that is all it takes) Hardy will draw more attention which in turn opens other areas for the running game. The other piont is if Reed is asigned to hit or chip a LB we may swap that out for a FB. So while coach has a piont I don't this one is mutually exclusive to the other.

IE a Safty can cheat up with Reed because he is not a deep threat or a threat for that mater....so that saftey will be more available for run support. With Hardy in there that safty need to back up...and the other safty needs to compensate as well. If the fullback can blow up the linbacker and the RB can get to that second level it will improve the running game. In the end lets have blocker block and catcher catch and runners run.

The other piont I will make is Hardy is no puzzy..at 6'5 2 somthing with those long arms I would not want to be the db he is assigned to block.

Got it now?

eyedog
05-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Most of us had it a long time ago, but just in case we all have it now.

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2008, 09:18 AM
Coach... I shared your thread with bb.com (http://boards.buffalobills.com/showthread.php?p=881251#post881251).

justasportsfan
05-03-2008, 11:43 AM
No matter how great Moulds was, he suffered from constant coaching , qb and OL changes. As we witnessed for ourselves last year, so did Lee Evans. Reed has suffered the same exact problem throughout his career but has always been very helpful in the development of whoever was our qb.

I'm not saying Reed is in the same class of Moulds and Evans but if Randy Moss himself couldn't do squat with the Raiders, you can't expect Reed to do any better (except for that 1 year) than he did under the circumstances he's been in ever since he was drafted here .

Under rated and under appreciated.