PDA

View Full Version : Corner Wasn’t Always A Corner

justasportsfan
05-01-2008, 02:10 PM
"You want to talk about him covering big receivers," asked Smith rhetorically. "Akron put him on the best receiver every game. Look at him against the guy we took in the second round. He covered (James) Hardy like a blanket. (Bills defensive backs coach) George Catavolos said if he was two inches taller he'd be a first-round draft choice. He felt he was the best cover guy that he looked at out of all the defensive backs."

Hardy finished the game with four catches for 65 yards and a touchdown, but Corner was not covering him the whole game with teammate Davanzo Tate splitting duty with him.

"I don't think he got much of anything on me," said Corner. "I tip my hat to him. He's a great wideout. I covered him a few times and he ran a deep route when I was on him and he got a one-yard gain on a hitch on me if I remember right. He's a good wideout. I'm not bragging, he's a very good wideout. He's one of the best I went against last year."

Despite all his ability Corner was not invited to the combine, though he doesn't hold a grudge.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6050

The Spaz
05-01-2008, 02:44 PM
He sucks though he wasn't on many people mock drafts...lol

justasportsfan
05-01-2008, 03:07 PM
He sucks though he wasn't on many people mock drafts...lol

I hope he gets on Hardy's face at camp and tells him, you didn't do squat against me.

Then McKelvin comes over and says, "he twont to anytwing against me eitter. Otay!"

PECKERWOOD
05-01-2008, 03:19 PM
What is he trying to say? Corner is living a double-life as a smurf?

Jeff1220
05-02-2008, 06:58 AM
It sounds like they're describing 'Winfield with hands' in that article.

yordad
05-02-2008, 11:24 AM
"You want to talk about him covering big receivers," asked Smith rhetorically. "Akron put him on the best receiver every game. Look at him against the guy we took in the second round. He covered (James) Hardy like a blanket. (Bills defensive backs coach) George Catavolos said if he was two inches taller he'd be a first-round draft choice. He felt he was the best cover guy that he looked at out of all the defensive backs."

Hardy finished the game with four catches for 65 yards and a touchdown, but Corner was not covering him the whole game with teammate Davanzo Tate splitting duty with him.

"I don't think he got much of anything on me," said Corner. "I tip my hat to him. He's a great wideout. I covered him a few times and he ran a deep route when I was on him and he got a one-yard gain on a hitch on me if I remember right. He's a good wideout. I'm not bragging, he's a very good wideout. He's one of the best I went against last year."

Despite all his ability Corner was not invited to the combine, though he doesn't hold a grudge.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6050
So, I thought he wasn't always a corner? :idunno:

Bill Cody
05-02-2008, 02:00 PM

Actually he always has been. He was born a Corner. His daddy before him was a Corner and his Grandaddy before that was a Corner.

When he showed up for Pop Warner tryouts at age 10 one of the coaches knew him from CYO Basketball and yelled "you want to play, Corner"? To which legend has it he replied "Absolutely". And he's been a Corner ever since.:nod:

Jan Reimers
05-02-2008, 02:05 PM
According to the article, he was primarily a WR in high school who was switched to CB at Akron.

coastal
05-02-2008, 04:58 PM
If this kid shuts down Wes Welker two games every year...

he was well worth it!

Luisito23
05-03-2008, 04:27 AM
You can never have too many good corners!.....:band:

John Doe
05-03-2008, 10:28 AM
Picking Corner in the 4th round reminded me of last year's pick of Edwards in the 3rd round: he was not an obvious need to most of the fanbase, but he was just too good to pass up in the eyes of the Bills management. Edwards turned out to be a key addition - maybe Corner does too.

One of the weaknesses of the cornerbacks last season was an inability to support the run defense except for McGee. With the addition of James, McKelvin, and Corner they have addressed that issue.