Inside look at Bills' war room goings on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TigerJ
    • Jul 2002

Inside look at Bills' war room goings on?

This guy (user name "Schmuggs") claims to be a bartender at The Black and Bleu restaurant. The other night, the entire Bills front office cam in and was rehashing the draft. He reports the following things as stuff he heard Bills staffers say:

"Russ wanted Connor but consensus was DE. Poz who played with him in college and did not get along with him (thought he was not a good athlete) and gave him the “thumbs down”. Wound up taking Ellis. One of two top DE in the ACC. The other of course was Long. They had Ellis graded just below Long.

Derek Fine was graded on the board as a third rounder. Was top three on their list of TE. Almost was drafted in the third until they called San Diego, Fine was not even on their draft board so they decided to wait till the forth.

If Mckelvin was not available at 11. A trade down deal was made with the Cardinals. In return for a third rounder. Then they would’ve picked Thomas. Three out of the five scouts had Hardy rated higher than Thomas. They think he will be a “beast” in the redzone. McKelvin wound up dropping to them so the Bills canceled the trade. Though they tried to make a move for thomas later in the first.

They think the sleepers are Omon they were very impressed with his college stats. He will definetley be the third RB. Also LB Bowen though a bit slow should be a special teams ace. “Stamers replacement”.

F. Davis wasn’t picked in the second because of a bum knee."

I don't know if you are allowed in if you're not a member there.
    I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.
  • Tatonka
    • Jul 2002

Re: Inside look at Bills' war room goings on?

it makes me feel better about fine that they liked him that much.. i guess what i wonder is that, while i understand what their board says about him (that they had him as a 3rd rounder), do they really have a feel for what other teams feel a guy is? i mean, you might have him as a 3rd, but if the guy is viewed as a 5 or 6th (and i am not saying that is what the other teams had him as), then you still drafted him too early right? or is that bad logic and you just take teh guy that is top on your list without worrying about what the other teams do?
    "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

and if they were going to take him in the 3rd, then why was Corner the 1st pick of the 4th?
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• jamze132
        Don’t hate…
        • Jun 2003

Nobody knows if this is even true.

Comment

• Romes
          • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Tatonka
          it makes me feel better about fine that they liked him that much.. i guess what i wonder is that, while i understand what their board says about him (that they had him as a 3rd rounder), do they really have a feel for what other teams feel a guy is? i mean, you might have him as a 3rd, but if the guy is viewed as a 5 or 6th (and i am not saying that is what the other teams had him as), then you still drafted him too early right? or is that bad logic and you just take teh guy that is top on your list without worrying about what the other teams do?
          I think you have to take the guy thats at the top of your list and trust your scouting. After all its hard to know where other teams have placed a guy and it really only takes 1 other team that has him rated higher than you to steal him from under you.

Its cliche but we will only be able to tell if the Bills scouting was off and reached or not 2-3 years down the line...
          Originally posted by paladin warrior
          RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Ingtar33
            Dances With Buffaloes
            • Sep 2002

weird... that they would call someone about their board.

I mean i remember our war-rooms... and while i had friends and colleagues on other team's front offices... i never recall picking up a phone... (or anyone else for that matter) to ask how someone else had player xyz graded.

mostly because no answer you'd get could be trusted.

In the end you have to trust your own scout's evaluation.
            My wife told me that if I had a dollar for every girl who found me unattractive, girls would find me VERY attractive.

MY WIFE SAID THAT!!!

Comment

• LtFinFan66
              • Mar 2005

I am sure San Diego truthfully would tell another team if someone was on their draft board

Comment

• John Doe
                Florida Man
                • Jul 2002

Poz did not get along with Connor because he thought that he was not a good athlete?

It is possible that Poz may think that, but he has had nothing but good things to say about Connor.

Comment

• YardRat
                  Well, lookie here...
                  • Dec 2004

I'm always a little surprised at how frank and open the staff can be when talking with fans.
                  YardRat Wall of Fame
                  #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                  #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• Confused
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Jun 2007

horse-hockey!!!!

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                      Roways rooking ahread!
                      • Sep 2005

Link?

Comment

• The Spaz
                        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Ingtar33

I mean i remember our war-rooms... and while i had friends and colleagues on other team's front offices... i never recall picking up a phone... (or anyone else for that matter) to ask how someone else had player xyz graded.

That's why I call BS on this.

Comment

• DMBcrew36
                          • Feb 2005

That restaurant is right by my house in Williamsville. Our steel plant did some work for the building. It never looks like anyone is in there.

Anyways, how could Poz say Connor isn't a good athlete? Sounds like BS and calls into question the credibility of any of this. Also, I'm surprised that these front office guys would drive all the way up to the northtowns to have dinner/lunch (unless they live in Amherst/Clarence since its the nicest area). And then why would they discuss any of this with a random bartender?

Comment

• TigerJ
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Skooby
                            Link?
                            Go back and reread, Skooby, the link is right there to the Bills message board. That link is the only one possible since it's a conversation alleged to have been overheard by a bartender. You either believe him, or you don't.
                            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                              Pinkerton's son
                              • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Ingtar33

you used to be in an NFL war room?

Comment

Working...
                              X