PDA

View Full Version : Youboty in jeapordy on CB heavy bills

The Answer
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
No surprise here, between signing Larry Triplett and drafting Youboty - these were the only real mistakes of Levy's 2 year run as GM:

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/11099

Youboty in jeopardy on CB-heavy Bills

Friday, May 02, 2008 | Posted by Connor Byrne

After the Buffalo Bills signed cornerback Will James earlier in the offseason, it became apparent that two-year veteran Ashton Youboty was in jeopardy of making the roster in 2008. Sadly for the 2006 third-round pick, things only got worse last weekend.

That's because during the two-day NFL draft, the Bills selected a whopping three cornerbacks with their 10 picks. In the first round, the Bills chose former Troy University star Leodis McKelvin, then followed that up by grabbing the aptly named Reggie Corner (Round 4, Akron) and Kennard Cox (Round 7, Pittsburgh). When you add those three to a corps that already included incumbent starters Terrence McGee and Jabari Greer as well as James -- a six-year veteran -- and Dustin Fox, something's gotta give.............

~The Answer<!-- / message -->

Bulldog
05-02-2008, 12:01 PM
No offense, but Connor Byrne has no more inside information than the average fan. I'd be very surprised if Youboty isn't on the roster come Sept. 07.

Historian
05-02-2008, 12:03 PM
..and starting.

You can never have enough good corners, especially in a division with Brady and Moss.

RockStar36
05-02-2008, 12:05 PM
I like Youboty. He will just have to compete for his job. There is no reason he can't beat out those rookies. And if he can't then I guess it is his own fault.

yordad
05-02-2008, 12:06 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut one bit.

The Answer
05-02-2008, 12:07 PM
No offense, but Connor Byrne has no more inside information than the average fan. I'd be very surprised if Youboty isn't on the roster come Sept. 07.

Not true - Connor Byrne is more than just some random fanboy blogger. He's got a pretty credible reputation among the nfl writers circles.

I will be very surprised if Youbtoy makes this team. He has been absolutely terrible in his first two years and I've heard through the grapevine that his attitude sucks and that is another reason why we will like sever ties this summer.

Also if we are sold on him than why did we sign James and draft 3 corners? The facts speak for themselves here.

~The Answer

trapezeus
05-02-2008, 12:07 PM
can't have enough corners especially the way our defense was conditioned we lost like 3 secondary players in the first two weeks. Maybe all these guys make the team and all will get to play.

i would be sad if our merton hanks didn't make the team.

The Answer
05-02-2008, 12:09 PM
I like Youboty. He will just have to compete for his job. There is no reason he can't beat out those rookies. And if he can't then I guess it is his own fault.

Exacty - if he can't beat out a 4th round CB who wasn't even projected to be drafted by a lot of scouts, and pure fodder that was drafted in the 7th than he flat out sucks period - especially considering our DB's were hardly a strong position last year yet he could only see the field because of all the injuries.

~The Answer

TigerJ
05-02-2008, 12:11 PM
I don't know whether Youboty will make the team or not, but I know whether or not it was intended as such, the draft has to send a message to Youboty that his time has run out and he has to produce early and well in training camp because there are people who can take his spot. The Bills probably will carry 5 CBs. I'm assuming the top 4 are McGee, Greer, William James, and McKelvin. That means Youboty has to beat out Corner and Cox, along with holdover Dustin Fox and anyone else the Bills might bring in. He's got the potential to do it, but potential isn't going to cut it any more for Youboty.

OpIv37
05-02-2008, 12:25 PM
No surprise here, between signing Larry Triplett and drafting Youboty - these were the only real mistakes of Levy's 2 year run as GM:

http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/11099

Youboty in jeopardy on CB-heavy Bills

Friday, May 02, 2008 | Posted by Connor Byrne

After the Buffalo Bills signed cornerback Will James earlier in the offseason, it became apparent that two-year veteran Ashton Youboty was in jeopardy of making the roster in 2008. Sadly for the 2006 third-round pick, things only got worse last weekend.

That's because during the two-day NFL draft, the Bills selected a whopping three cornerbacks with their 10 picks. In the first round, the Bills chose former Troy University star Leodis McKelvin, then followed that up by grabbing the aptly named Reggie Corner (Round 4, Akron) and Kennard Cox (Round 7, Pittsburgh). When you add those three to a corps that already included incumbent starters Terrence McGee and Jabari Greer as well as James -- a six-year veteran -- and Dustin Fox, something's gotta give.............

~The Answer<!-- / message -->

Levy's only mistakes? Are you ****ing kidding me? Peerless Price, Matt Bowen, Tutan Reyes, Larry Tripplett.... pretty much all of Levy's FA's were either role players or complete busts except Dockery.

Dwayne Wright is on the bubble, Whitner has yet to prove he's worth the #8 pick, McCargo is doing better but still has to prove his worth... a lot of Levy's draft picks are TBD.

And when it comes to coaches, Jauron sucks and Fairchild was an absolute disaster.

Levy made a LOT more than 2 mistakes.

PECKERWOOD
05-02-2008, 12:30 PM
I think McKelvin, McGee, Greer, Youboty, James and Corner will all be on the roster.

Stewie
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Levy's only mistakes? Are you ****ing kidding me? Peerless Price, Matt Bowen, Tutan Reyes, Larry Tripplett.... pretty much all of Levy's FA's were either role players or complete busts except Dockery.

Dwayne Wright is on the bubble, Whitner has yet to prove he's worth the #8 pick, McCargo is doing better but still has to prove his worth... a lot of Levy's draft picks are TBD.

And when it comes to coaches, Jauron sucks and Fairchild was an absolute disaster.

how do you know Levy's plan wasn't to bring those players in for 1 or 2 years until they could draft replacements?

justasportsfan
05-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Not true - Connor Byrne is more than just some random fanboy blogger. He's got a pretty credible reputation among the nfl writers circles.

I will be very surprised if Youbtoy makes this team. He has been absolutely terrible in his first two years and I've heard through the grapevine that his attitude sucks and that is another reason why we will like sever ties this summer.

Also if we are sold on him than why did we sign James and draft 3 corners? The facts speak for themselves here.

~The Answer
no one knew who he was until we brought him in.

justasportsfan
05-02-2008, 12:37 PM

Levy made a LOT more than 2 mistakes.Here we go again,. They all make mistakes expecially when they are rebuilding.

dasaybz
05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
Youboty just hasn't been right the past 2 years. He's had a ton of off the field issues to deal with. Hopefully he comes to camp fresh this year, with nothing but football on his mind.

Goobylal
05-02-2008, 12:40 PM
No offense to Connor Byrne, who is little better than any of us when it comes to inside info, but it's pretty obvious that with the Bills drafting 3 CB's and with McGee, Greer, and James pretty much 1-3, that Youboty's job is in jeopardy. It's up to him to show he belongs.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Jauron sucks????

Sigh.

OpIv37
05-02-2008, 12:45 PM
how do you know Levy's plan wasn't to bring those players in for 1 or 2 years until they could draft replacements?

well we didn't win any games in the meantime so his plan didn't work. 1 Impact FA in two full off-seasons. That's just sad, particularly since he took over a team that was 5-11 and needed tons of help. "Oh, it's ok- let's just lose for two years until we can draft replacements." IMO that's a failure.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
I would also rate Langston Walker as pretty solid FA pick-up. Not a Pro Bowl level, but very good and fills the role he was signed to fill.

OpIv37
05-02-2008, 12:46 PM
Jauron sucks????

Sigh.

ever look at his overall coaching record? His average offensive ranking? His average defensive ranking? Did you see the terrible playcalling in the Bills games over the last few years? The almost inevitable waste of a time out early in a half? The very questionable use of challenges (especially that one time he used two timeouts on one play when he lost the challenge)?

Yeah, he sucks.

OpIv37
05-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Here we go again,. They all make mistakes expecially when they are rebuilding.

So what? The Answer said Levy only made two mistakes, and the reality is that he made a lot more than two. That's all I'm saying.

The Answer
05-02-2008, 12:47 PM

OP - Your still in complete Debbie Downer mode I see - but hey I respect your opinion, not like we have won a division title or sniffed the postseason this millennium.

I guess I've learned not to have such high expectations for this team anymore and maybe one year they'll prove me wrong (hopefully in 2008).

~The Answer

The Spaz
05-02-2008, 12:48 PM
ever look at his overall coaching record? His average offensive ranking? His average defensive ranking? Did you see the terrible playcalling in the Bills games over the last few years? The almost inevitable waste of a time out early in a half? The very questionable use of challenges (especially that one time he used two timeouts on one play when he lost the challenge)?

Yeah, he sucks.

I could have sworn Jauron had the one of the highest if if not the highest percentage of challenges won.

Stewie
well we didn't win any games in the meantime so his plan didn't work. 1 Impact FA in two full off-seasons. That's just sad, particularly since he took over a team that was 5-11 and needed tons of help. "Oh, it's ok- let's just lose for two years until we can draft replacements." IMO that's a failure.

you always assume every free agent wanst to be in buffalo.

Levy might have signed 85% of the guys who would consider playing here. Yo udon't know, we never can, so why constantly point out that some players don't work out

Peerless was dumb, certainly. the rest, not so sure they weren't designed to be stopgaps

OpIv37
OP - Your still in complete Debbie Downer mode I see - but hey I respect your opinion, not like we have won a division title or sniffed the postseason this millennium.

I guess I've learned not to have such high expectations for this team anymore and maybe one year they'll prove me wrong (hopefully in 2008).

~The Answer

fair enough.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2008, 12:49 PM
So what? The Answer said Levy only made two mistakes, and the reality is that he made a lot more than two. That's all I'm saying.

I do think many of those players were stop gaps and depth guys, especially in year one when he came aboard in January and suddenly had to find a coach.

OpIv37
05-02-2008, 12:50 PM
you always assume every free agent wanst to be in buffalo.

Levy might have signed 85% of the guys who would consider playing here. Yo udon't know, we never can, so why constantly point out that some players don't work out

Peerless was dumb, certainly. the rest, not so sure they weren't designed to be stopgaps

well, if guys don't want to play here, that's another failure on the part of management. You can debate how much control Levy had over that, but it's still a failure.

Historian
05-02-2008, 12:51 PM

Walt Corey...Dick Roach....Leif Larsen....

The Answer
05-02-2008, 12:52 PM

Let me rephrase - I believe those were the two major blunders.

The rest I don't really judge since they were depth moves and bargain basement signings to begin with.

As for the draft so far - it's still way too early to judge the 2006 and 2007 class, although I'm extremely impressed with Edwards and Lynch, plus Whitner has proven to be the better pick over Huff - even though he's not quite the superstar we hoped for just yet. Also McCargo is looking good and if Simpson and Poz stay healthy they have potential - at least he has cleaned house and got rid of most of the Donablow trash.

~The Answer

OpIv37
05-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Let me rephrase - I believe those were the two major blunders.

The rest I don't really judge since they were depth moves and bargain basement signings to begin with.

As for the draft so far - it's still way too early to judge the 2006 and 2007 class, although I'm extremely impressed with Edwards and Lynch, plus Whitner has proven to be the better pick over Huff - even though he's not quite the superstar we hoped for just yet. Also McCargo is looking good and if Simpson and Poz stay healthy they have potential - at least he has cleaned house and got rid of most of the Donablow trash.

~The Answer

I definitely agree with that. Good post.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
McCargo is actually not far off pace for DTs - they tend to take as long or longer than any other position to come into their own.

If he plays this entire season like he did the last half of 2007, he is a keeper.

Historian
05-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Jerry Crafts....Dan Henning....Tom Bresnihan....

dasaybz
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
If Youboty shows up this offseason and plays good, I can see James getting cut.

OpIv37
05-02-2008, 12:57 PM
McCargo is actually not far off pace for DTs - they tend to take as long or longer than any other position to come into their own.

If he plays this entire season like he did the last half of 2007, he is a keeper.

He's had one bad season and one good season. If he continues to improve then he was worth the pick. If he regresses to 2006 form, then it was a bad choice. Admittedly, right now it looks like he's developing into a good player and I have high hopes for him this year.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2008, 01:00 PM
He's had one bad season and one good season. If he continues to improve then he was worth the pick. If he regresses to 2006 form, then it was a bad choice. Admittedly, right now it looks like he's developing into a good player and I have high hopes for him this year.

I don't disagree. But, to be fair, the bad season was his rookie season and he was injured in TC that year do his development and conditioning were hindered.

Historian
05-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Willie Totten....Marc McClure....Mike Panepinto....

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2008, 01:01 PM
Willie Totten....Marc McClure....Mike Panepinto....

Knocking replacement players now???

Boring day at work?

How about Todd Schlopy as well? (Although he did win the Bills a game)

The Answer
05-02-2008, 01:06 PM
If Youboty shows up this offseason and plays good, I can see James getting cut.

Doubt it - James brings a lot of veteran experiece (including playoff experiece with the eagles and giants) and is a proven commodity unlike Youboty. And you can pencil in Greer, Mcgee, and McKelvin in as locks.

I think he is going to have to a very strong camp and preseason to stay on this roster - anything less and he's history.

~The Answer

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2008, 01:07 PM
It is also unlikely Corner, a 4th round pick, gets axed in his first TC.

Not impossible, but unlikely.

dasaybz
05-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Doubt it - James brings a lot of veteran experiece (including playoff experiece with the eagles and giants) and is a proven commodity unlike Youboty. And you can pencil in Greer, Mcgee, and McKelvin in as locks.

I think he is going to have to a very strong camp and preseason to stay on this roster - anything less and he's history.

~The Answer

I don't know man. James looks more like camp fodder than anything to me.

justasportsfan
05-02-2008, 01:08 PM

~The Answer
OP was right

Goobylal
05-02-2008, 01:12 PM
The only question with James is durability. If he's healthy, he'll be a starter.

The Answer
05-02-2008, 01:14 PM

He's a serviceable player trust me - if I had to compare him to somebody on our roster I'd say he's another Greer clone - not a true starter, but a rock solid 2nd team/dime/nickel player that is capable of starting for a few games at a time, just not full time.

~The Answer

dasaybz
05-02-2008, 01:14 PM
The only question with James is durability. If he's healthy, he'll be a starter.

If he's healthy, he's a starter?

I highly doubt that.

Jan Reimers
05-02-2008, 01:18 PM
I like Youboty and hope he turns into a good player. But it's nice not having to absolutely depend on him, with so many other corners on our roster.

If he does show signs of becoming a good CB, there will really be a dog fight for the 4 or maybe 5 roster spots.

The Answer
05-02-2008, 01:21 PM
In fact look at Greer's career numbers compared to James:

Greer:
http://www.nfl.com/players/jabarigreer/careerstats?id=GRE654582

James:
http://www.nfl.com/players/williamjames/careerstats?id=PET477762

Based on this comparison you would say James is the better player and Greer would be on the bubble....

~The Answer

dasaybz
05-02-2008, 01:22 PM
His name is William James James.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2626

****, he hasn't played many games in his career. Looks like he's been hurt a ton.

Again, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this guy was cut.

Dr. Lecter
05-02-2008, 01:23 PM
I do not disagree that Greer could be odd man out.

Jan Reimers
In fact look at Greer's career numbers compared to James:

Greer:
http://www.nfl.com/players/jabarigreer/careerstats?id=GRE654582

James:
http://www.nfl.com/players/williamjames/careerstats?id=PET477762

Based on this comparison you would say James is the better player and Greer would be on the bubble....

~The Answer
You have to look at more than numbers.

dasaybz
Greer is alot younger too.

The Answer
05-02-2008, 01:24 PM
His name is William James James.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?playerId=2626

****, he hasn't played many games in his career. Looks like he's been hurt a ton.

Again, it wouldn't surprise me at all if this guy was cut.

He's still played in more games that Youboty and Greer combined - again I don't think he was signed to be a starter to begin with, and the reason he hasn't played in a lot games is because he was on the bench behind better players.

~The Answer

The Answer
05-02-2008, 01:26 PM
You have to look at more than numbers.

Yes I have - and the fact that James has playoff experience with good teams like Philly (who has always been loaded at the S/DB position) is more than enough for me to keep him over Youboty, and possibly Greer depending on how both perform during preseason.

~The Answer

dasaybz
05-02-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm not saying he isn't a decent player. It just seems like he's one of those veterans that are brought into camp just for a body. I wouldn't be shocked if he made the team, but for some reason, I just don't see that happening.

Jan Reimers
05-02-2008, 01:34 PM
depending on how both perform during preseason.

~The Answer
You said the magic words. It's performance NOW that counts, not a guy's previous career, or interceptions, or playoff experience, or how well he played 3 or 4 years ago.

I like James, and if has enough left to play the nickel or dime better than his younger competition, let's keep him. But it has to be based on performance, not previous numbers or reputation.

We already had that with Eddie Robinson, Lawyer Milloy, Troy Vincent and others.

HHURRICANE
05-02-2008, 05:03 PM
..and starting.

You can never have enough good corners, especially in a division with Brady and Moss.

"You can never have enough good corners"

I think we have alot of corners and that's as far as I will go.

coastal
05-02-2008, 05:39 PM
Youboty has every chance of showing up and stealing a starting spot.

If he does, we might have the deepest secondary in the NFL.

PECKERWOOD
05-02-2008, 05:48 PM
Youboty has every chance of showing up and stealing a starting spot.

If he does, we might have the deepest secondary in the NFL.

I agree, people are forgetting that Youboty was taken as a somewhat developmental pick. He was a good corner at OSU but had to leave early to help out his mother, which unfortunately she passed away shortly after he was drafted. Another year in school would have done Youboty good.