X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Rookie Minicamp Underway

It began slowly and that was by design. Bills head coach Dick Jauron wanted to ease the 2008 draft class and undrafted rookie signees into the NFL pace and get them up to speed on the fundamentals.

"It's mostly learning," said Jauron. "We want them to start slowly and build on the foundation of technique and then move on to our base defense and base offense."

Jauron, who became a big fan of the rookie camp last offseason believes it's very effective because his assistants can devote more time to the young players with only 28 in attendance.

"I really like it because they get a lot of coaching," he said. "For example, the offensive line we've got (assistant offensive line coach) Ray (Brown) and (offensive line coach) Sean (Kugler) down there coaching and they've got three players. That's a lot of attention and I think it's really good."

Practice notes
    The first of five scheduled sessions began with special teams fundamentals as coordinator Bobby April put everyone but the quarterbacks and returners through a breakdown drill where the players run as if they're moving downfield to cover a kickoff or punt and then must gather themselves and slow down so they can effectively wrap up and make a tackle.

• Jan Reimers
    Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
    • May 2003

Re: Rookie Minicamp Underway

Wonder what's up with Huggins? With a couple of drafted WRs, a UDFA and a PSer from last year, he really should be there.
    Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
      Zero for Zero!
      • Mar 2003

Anybody else getting excited?
      Originally posted by mysticsoto
      Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        Anybody else getting excited?
        At my age it's hard to tell. Could just be. . . er, never mind.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Night Train
          Retired - On Several Levels
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
          At my age it's hard to tell. Could just be. . . er, never mind.
          Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• shelby
            The Vanilla *****
            • Jul 2002

Comment

• justasportsfan
              • Jul 2002

UPDATE

Afternoon Session
              Things proceeded similarly in the afternoon workout with special teams an early focus, but more time was spent in individual position drills.

The three offensive linemen in attendance were being put through the rigors of pass protection technique. Buffalo practice squad lineman Nevin McCaskill looked the most comfortable executing his pass sets, which wasn’t surprising since he’s been working with offensive line coach Sean Kugler for close to a year. Seventh-round pick Demetrius Bell looks athletic, but is raw in terms of technique making this weekend valuable for him. Rookie free agent Robert Felton (Arkansas) looks a bit more polished, but must adjust to Kugler’s technique requirements.

In the offensive backfield Xavier Omon earned some praise on a couple of occasions for his route running. Omon has a solid looking build, but has some cutting ability that you don’t always see from 228-pound backs.

At wideout Hardy did a nice job of adjusting to passes that were outside his body frame to make some catches. There were a couple of crossing routes where he successfully reached behind his body to make catches on the run. Hardy was lined up mostly at flanker on day one.

Steve Johnson was praised by Turk Schonert for running a sharply executed out route. He looked real good on the quick slants.

Tight end Derek Fine was pretty sure-handed the first day with only one drop. That might not seem spectacular until you consider the fact that he ran more reps than anyone being the only tight end in the minicamp.

“It’s a good and bad thing,” said Fine. “I think I ran about 800 or 900 plays today on my own. On the other hand it’s a really good thing because it allows me to get more reps and coach Coiner can coach me one-on-one.”

On the defensive side coordinator Perry Fewell is indoctrinating the players early on the importance of conditioning, which will enable them to effectively fly to the football all four quarters. He and his defensive assistants put them through conditioning sprints in both the morning and afternoon sessions.

In the morning a defensive unit would line up at the 20-yard line and after the ball was snapped they’d take two steps toward the line of scrimmage and then turn and run as a group to the back corner of the end zone. They’d jog back and do it a second time to the opposite end zone corner before getting a breather.

The defensive assistants changed it up slightly in the afternoon as the unit dropped into pass protection. A pass would be lofted into the secondary and a defensive back would corral the interception and the entire unit would sprint to the end zone. So while it was a conditioning drill it also emphasized transition after a turnover.

The defensive backs also worked individually on their communication as the coverage players worked two against three and passed off receivers.

The defensive linemen worked through several different pass rush drills working on rip and swim moves as well as footwork in tight areas.

Quarterback Matt Baker, picked up on waivers Thursday by Buffalo, looks to have a strong arm and on the whole was relatively accurate considering the circumstances of a new system and new receivers.

The rookies will be back on the field Saturday at 10:15 and again in the afternoon at 2:15. Buffalobills.com will have continuing coverage throughout the weekend.

sacrifice1
              https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• coastal
                Legendary Zoner
                • Mar 2005

I see they signed Felton... sweet.

Comment

• Night Train
                  Retired - On Several Levels
                  • Jul 2005

Steve Johnson was praised by Turk Schonert for running a sharply executed out route. He looked real good on the quick slants.

Just like the Combine film I reviewed. Ran an out pattern, ball was high and he went way up to make a great catch. Sharp routes and soft hands.

I'm thinking we picked 2 good WR's in this draft.
                  Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• YardRat
                    Well, lookie here...
                    • Dec 2004

In the morning a defensive unit would line up at the 20-yard line and after the ball was snapped they’d take two steps toward the line of scrimmage and then turn and run as a group to the back corner of the end zone.

The defensive backs also worked individually on their communication as the coverage players worked two against three
                    Looks like the defensive guys are getting a good jump on the 'scheme' .
                    YardRat Wall of Fame
                    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
                    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

Working...
                    X