Camp competitions that might help the Bills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camp competitions that might help the Bills

I am sure that there is more than these but these might be considered the big ones.

Personally I was most interested in the Jaguars one.

If Matt Jones was to lose and considering his previous falling out with Del Rio might he be an interesting pick up possibly at TE if he had reasonable blocking skills.

At 6ft6, 238lbs, and having run 4.37, he'd cause more match up problems and I rate him higher than Anderson and Teyo Johnson. Considering that many assessments say that blocking isn't a strength of Derek Fine, I wonder if he could be a guy who could come in. One of his strengths is that he finds it easy to adjust to badly thrown ball. Getting cut might create that sense of urgency that has been previously lacking.
  • dasaybz
    • Apr 2005

Re: Camp competitions that might help the Bills

The problem is that he's a WR, not a TE.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
      • May 2003

Jones' lack of success, given his speed, size and athleticism, is really hard to figure. If his problem is lack of motivation, it's probably terminal and I don't really want to see him in a Bills' uniform.

Give me a guy with a high motor who tries his heart out every time.
      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

Well I guess he did convert from college QB - the transition might not have been too easy.

If he has good blocking skills would the transition to TE be that challenging?

Maybe that was his best position to begin with?

Comment

• ptd86
          • Dec 2006

i thought derek fines only strength was his blocking?

Comment

what other competitions can people think of?

Comment

• Jan Reimers
              Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
              • May 2003

Originally posted by ptd86
              i thought derek fines only strength was his blocking?
              Everything I've read says he's a smart, high motor guy who has good hands and thrives catching the ball in short yardage situations. He is said to lack speed and athleticism, and is not much of a blocker.
              Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Night Train
                Retired - On Several Levels
                • Jul 2005

Another WR ? After this draft, I can't see it.

I'm looking for a Center.
                Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• alohabillsfan
                  • Sep 2003

Let me set the record straight on Mat Jones as I live here in Jaxcsonville.
                  NO, NO, NO, he is lazy and unmotivated. During one game when he was not dressed (emergency QB) he was throwing a ball bck and forth to a fan in the stands. When Garrad was hurt they (the coaching staff) had to find him and tell him to gat dressed. In regards to blocking never going to happen he does not have the desire so when he is officially cut and labled a "bust" please do not start a thread with the dreaded "I'd bring him in for a look" because you can look all day long and see the potentional, but do a chest X-ray and you will discover no heart!

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    Jones' lack of success, given his speed, size and athleticism, is really hard to figure. If his problem is lack of motivation, it's probably terminal and I don't really want to see him in a Bills' uniform.

Give me a guy with a high motor who tries his heart out every time.
                    Jim Leonard, Shaud Williams, Josh Reed, JP Losman, Coy Wire.

Comment

• The Spaz
                      • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Oaf
                      Jim Leonard, Shaud Williams, Josh Reed, JP Losman, Coy Wire.
                      Josh Reed is a capable slot receiver and Wire was a hell of a special teams guy.

Comment

• eyedog
                        • Jul 2002

Reed is a marginal slot receiver who is far from a lock to make the team this year. Although I still think he is still in, he better watch his back if Steve Johnson shows anything.
                        Remember Reed doesn't contribute anyting on special teams which is another strike against him.
                        Wire is nothing but a slightly above average special teamer. He won't even be missed.

Comment

• Oaf
                          Do you read what you write?
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by The Spaz
                          Josh Reed is a capable slot receiver and Wire was a hell of a special teams guy.
                          No argument there.

Comment

Working...
                          X