PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Bills: Quarterback Controversy?

yordad
05-02-2008, 10:39 PM
"But I expect a very solid season from Edwards. He won't lose games, which makes him better than half the quarterbacks in the NFL today. To make this team playoff-caliber, though, he has to win. "

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/21044-Buffalo-Bills-Quarterback-Controversy-

DynaPaul
05-03-2008, 12:27 AM
I think the only QB controversy we're gonna have this year is who's taking 2nd string.

YardRat
05-03-2008, 01:39 AM
he has to win

No controversy from my perspective.

kernowboy
05-03-2008, 03:10 AM
Whilst Edward is now in pole position, he does have at least one nice additional weapon.

However if he doesn't perform, we need to consider additional options.

jmb1099
05-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Competition doesn't equal controversy... with the exception being in the opinions of the posters on a football forum.
The only way you have even the slightest chance of a legit qb controversy at this point is if Edwards goes down and Losman plays brilliantly. I'm not talking adequate play, I'm talking Brady, Manning caliber play and not just for a game, but consistent, sustained, brilliant play. Then and only then do you have a legit QB controversy.
If that were to happen, the reactions around this place would be interesting to say the least.

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Then what will the haters say when we transition tag JP?

• A club can designate one franchise player or one transition player in any given year. • The salary level offer by a player's old club determines what type of franchise player he is.
• An "exclusive" franchise player -- not free to sign with another club -- is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of April 16, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.
• If the player is offered a minimum of the average of the top five salaries of last season at his position, or 120 percent of the player’s previous year’s salary, he becomes a “non-exclusive” franchise player and can negotiate with other clubs. His old club can match a new club's offer, or receive two first-round draft choices if it decides not to match. The signing period for non-exclusive franchise players to sign with new clubs is March 3 through November 9 (10th week of the season).
• A transition player has received a minimum offer of the average of the top 10 salaries of last season at the player's position or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater.
• A transition player designation gives the club a first-refusal right to match within seven days an offer sheet given to the player by another club after his contract expires. If the club matches, it retains the player. If it does not match, it receives no compensation. Transition players can be signed from March 3 through July 22."

Jan Reimers
05-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Competition doesn't equal controversy... with the exception being in the opinions of the posters on a football forum.
And the media, who like to create controversy.

venis2k1
05-03-2008, 09:56 AM
competiton makes everyone better.

HHURRICANE
05-03-2008, 10:44 AM
I said that if JP outperforms Trent in camp and pre-season than the coaching staff would have to consider making him the starter.

With that said I firmly believe that there will not be any QB controversy as Trent will be heads and shoulders better than JP throughout the summer.

I was not psyched about the Edwards pick last year because I thought JP was going to be a solid player. But after watching Edwards in pre-season I knew this kid had talent. The over the shoulder pass in the last game of pre-season couldn't be made by half the QBs in this league.

I predict the kid will be in the top 5 for QB ratings this year. Bold but I feel that strongly about his ability.

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2008, 11:04 AM
So "QB ratings" will not be over rated this season? HMMM!

jmb1099
05-03-2008, 11:35 AM
The only stat that matters to me is wins. I don't care if every win is considered garbage, lucky, a fluke, whatever. We win, I'm happy.

TacklingDummy
05-03-2008, 03:27 PM
If Trent plays like crap the first 4 games, I'd seriously think about switching to Losman.

It's all up to Trent. Produce = play, play like crap = bench.

YardRat
05-03-2008, 03:40 PM
Then what will the haters say when we transition tag JP?

I think he'll be gone by then, but if we use a tag on a back-up caliber player then I'm going to puke.

YardRat
05-03-2008, 03:43 PM
I said that if JP outperforms Trent in camp and pre-season than the coaching staff would have to consider making him the starter.

I read your entire post, but in response to this comment...JP has proven two things in his tenure in Buffalo...

1. He apparently performs well in practice and pre-season.

2. He ****s his pants in real games.

If wins and losses were ever determined by practice results, I might think differently. But until they are JP isn't starter material at this point for the long haul.

Michael82
05-03-2008, 04:08 PM
If Trent plays like crap the first 4 games, I'd seriously think about switching to Losman.

It's all up to Trent. Produce = play, play like crap = bench.
:shocked:

im4bflo
05-03-2008, 04:57 PM
If Trent was really dedicated to getting better, he'd be throwing to his new guy in rookie camp right now, if I was him, I would!
He's thrown as many picks as great passes, and is still a second stringer until he gets better. Where's the dedication and motivation of a Payton Manning?
You can cheat to win SB's like the queer, or you GO to WORK every chance you can, like PM. Where's our QB? He's got something better to do?

PcA125
05-03-2008, 06:15 PM
If Trent was really dedicated to getting better, he'd be throwing to his new guy in rookie camp right now, if I was him, I would!
He's thrown as many picks as great passes, and is still a second stringer until he gets better. Where's the dedication and motivation of a Payton Manning?
You can cheat to win SB's like the queer, or you GO to WORK every chance you can, like PM. Where's our QB? He's got something better to do?

I guess this can be said about Losman. Besides, I dont think that much would get done in this camp even if the starting Qb attended.

YardRat
05-03-2008, 06:46 PM

I'll re-iterate what I said in the other thread...

Vets aren't allowed. It's for rookies.

Night Train
05-03-2008, 06:53 PM
You mean Edwards vs. Baker ?

yordad
05-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I read your entire post, but in response to this comment...JP has proven two things in his tenure in Buffalo...

1. He apparently performs well in practice and pre-season.

2. He ****s his pants in real games.

If wins and losses were ever determined by practice results, I might think differently. But until they are JP isn't starter material at this point for the long haul.Sweet argument. If JP out performs TE in every aspect of the game leading up to the regular season we should still start TE because JP is JP, and I think he looks scared.

im4bflo
05-03-2008, 07:01 PM
I'd love to see all 4 QB's go at it.
Best man wins, but the JP haters don't, who's scared???

djjimkelly
05-03-2008, 07:06 PM
i like that line in article he wont lose games.

i guess he didnt watch the dallas game or the giants game or the eagles game

acehole
05-03-2008, 07:09 PM

Only of course if JP has a higher one...

im4bflo
05-03-2008, 07:14 PM

Opinions and assumptions are just that, a guess at best, and worthless.
Straight up, fair square competition will get results.
And I'd be watching for who's putting forth the EXTRA effort, who want's it BAD!

DrGraves
05-04-2008, 12:25 AM
lets just start whoever has a higher rating in the new madden

mybills
05-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Carl Wagner is just another JP hater. :shakeno:

Tatonka
05-04-2008, 08:18 AM
"But I expect a very solid season from Edwards. He won't lose games, which makes him better than half the quarterbacks in the NFL today. To make this team playoff-caliber, though, he has to win. "

i hate when it says trent wont "lose" us games.. he had 2 absolutely awful interceptions at the end of games that cost us the wins.. and in the cleveland game and philly game he did so little over the course of the entire game that i dont even think that you could constitute that as "not losing games"..

that said, i think he is the best option at qb and should be given this year.

justasportsfan
05-04-2008, 12:57 PM
i hate when it says trent wont "lose" us games.. he had 2 absolutely awful interceptions at the end of games that cost us the wins.. and in the cleveland game and philly game he did so little over the course of the entire game that i dont even think that you could constitute that as "not losing games"..

that said, i think he is the best option at qb and should be given this year.
He's already better than half the qb's in this league. Must be a Trent Trad.

Yasgur's Farm
05-08-2008, 06:18 PM
<table style="width: 508px; height: 296px;" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody id="collapseobj_usercp_reputation" style=""><tr><td class="alt2">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="p2436473" width="50%">Buffalo Bills:... (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2436473#post2436473)</td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">05-03-2008 07:17 PM</td> <td class="alt1" width="50%">Losman sucks. Losman sucks JP blows JP is a terrible QB JP Losman is a terrrible QB JP sucks moose nuts JP is a worthless POS Losman blows monkey balls JP is a loser JP LOSERman Losman S U C K S SUCKS SUCKS and you want to suck his knob</td></tr></tbody></table>:lolabove: LMFAO... I'm sorry you need to put so much effort into proving how growed up you is.

im4bflo
05-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I hope you Trent lovers spent a lot of money buying his jersey and any other Trent stuff, because when you finally realize you spent it on a second string QB,
that will be hilarious!!! :lmao:
(oh, he's starting, but he's only a second stringer)
I just hope he doesn't blow too many games.
GO BILLS! GO TRENT!

The Answer
05-08-2008, 06:35 PM

I believe we had a 9 point lead with less than a minute left in the Dallas game so I fail to see how that had anything to do with Edwards.

Also the eagles game was the last game, that was completely meaningless for both teams so who really cares. Although I'm not sure Edwards did anything to lose that game either.

How about we talk about all the games that JP has lost during his illustrious caeeer?

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-08-2008, 07:28 PM
I believe we had a 9 point lead with less than a minute left in the Dallas game so I fail to see how that had anything to do with Edwards.

Clueless as usual. Other than 3 points, the D scored most the points of the points. TO make things worse he made the costly INT that the cowboys converted into 7 points. :rolleyes:

im4bflo
05-08-2008, 07:35 PM
Trent will lead us to victory, one fieldgoal at a time :snicker2:

justasportsfan
05-08-2008, 07:39 PM
Trent will lead us to victory, one fieldgoal at a time :snicker2: I'll take it as long as we win.

yordad
05-08-2008, 07:50 PM
<table style="width: 508px; height: 296px;" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody id="collapseobj_usercp_reputation" style=""><tr><td class="alt2">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="p2436473" width="50%">Buffalo Bills:... (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2436473#post2436473)</td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">05-03-2008 07:17 PM</td> <td class="alt1" width="50%">Losman sucks. Losman sucks JP blows JP is a terrible QB JP Losman is a terrrible QB JP sucks moose nuts JP is a worthless POS Losman blows monkey balls JP is a loser JP LOSERman Losman S U C K S SUCKS SUCKS and you want to suck his knob</td></tr></tbody></table>:lolabove: LMFAO... I'm sorry you need to put so much effort into proving how growed up you is.LOL, what post was that on?

Philagape
05-08-2008, 07:58 PM
Trent will lead us to victory, one fieldgoal at a time :snicker2:

Hate. Pure, simple hate.

Losman4Life
05-08-2008, 11:42 PM

There is no QB controversy. Jp is going to be our starting QB. Trend will have an opportunity to compete for the #2 job and that is that. There is no question in my mind who the better qb is!!

im4bflo
05-09-2008, 02:31 AM
Hate. Pure, simple hate.

You're WRONG!
NO hate, just look at the facts.
Since he's OUR starting QB, I'm backing him. BUT!
There's a lot of haters, but JP is better.
Trent HAS A CHANCE of proving himself, but I see him as no better
than a second stringer, but every team needs a great second stringer.
And take it as it falls, but YOU'll be rooting for JP again, like it or not!
GO BILLS!

Yasgur's Farm
05-09-2008, 06:04 AM
Hate. Pure, simple hate.Nah... This is pure simple hate right here...
<table style="width: 508px; height: 296px;" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody id="collapseobj_usercp_reputation" style=""><tr><td class="alt2">http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/images/reputation/reputation_neg.gif</td> <td class="alt1Active" id="p2436473" width="50%">Buffalo Bills:... (http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?p=2436473#post2436473)</td> <td class="alt2" nowrap="nowrap">05-03-2008 07:17 PM</td> <td class="alt1" width="50%">Losman sucks. Losman sucks JP blows JP is a terrible QB JP Losman is a terrrible QB JP sucks moose nuts JP is a worthless POS Losman blows monkey balls JP is a loser JP LOSERman Losman S U C K S SUCKS SUCKS and you want to suck his knob</td></tr></tbody></table>

mybills
05-09-2008, 06:13 AM
Hate. Pure, simple hate.
Actually, it's true. Most of our points did come from FG's. But I blame the coaching & play calling..just like I blamed that when JP was at the helm. I think they're both equally inadequate at times, but how much of that can we put squarely on their shoulders?

trapezeus
05-09-2008, 08:21 AM
just an FYI, Bleacherreport.com, is essentially a sports blog. It's not an article by a journalist. Anyone of us could have subscribed to bleacherreport.com and written this article. So because one guy writes his opinion, does not make it so. That guy should have just been introduced to our Losman is not the solution thread.

justasportsfan
05-09-2008, 09:23 AM
just an FYI, Bleacherreport.com, is essentially a sports blog. It's not an article by a journalist. Anyone of us could have subscribed to bleacherreport.com and written this article. So because one guy writes his opinion, does not make it so. That guy should have just been introduced to our Losman is not the solution thread.
exactly. Just like some article writers here

trapezeus
05-09-2008, 10:13 AM
exactly. Just like some article writers here

I'm clarifying for the majority of people here who seem to be stunned that a journalist would write that there is a controversy on the Bills. This is not an article. it's an opinion piece. I'd hate for some random bills fan quote from someone who has a misguided opinion and show it as proof that the national media thinks there is a controversy.

justasportsfan
05-09-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm clarifying for the majority of people here who seem to be stunned that a journalist would write that there is a controversy on the Bills. This is not an article. it's an opinion piece. I'd hate for some random bills fan quote from someone who has a misguided opinion and show it as proof that the national media thinks there is a controversy.
Agreed. Even national media writers are no different from MB posters except they get paid to write their opinions.

Patrick76777
05-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I'm shocked that people still actually think that JP has what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL.

And I'm more surprised that they seem to dislike Edwards simply because the coaches think that he's the better option.

I don't think that Edwards had a fantastic season, but for a rookie, I thought he played damn well.

Maybe I'm nuts.

Ed
05-09-2008, 12:28 PM
The only way you have even the slightest chance of a legit qb controversy at this point is if Edwards goes down and Losman plays brilliantly. I'm not talking adequate play, I'm talking Brady, Manning caliber play and not just for a game, but consistent, sustained, brilliant play. Then and only then do you have a legit QB controversy.
If that were to happen, the reactions around this place would be interesting to say the least.
I'm sorry, but if Losman or any other qb for that matter comes in and plays brilliantly consistently like Peyton Manning, then there's no contreversy. They're our qb and you give them whatever they want to keep them happy.

acehole
05-09-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm shocked that people still actually think that JP has what it takes to be a starting QB in the NFL.

And I'm more surprised that they seem to dislike Edwards simply because the coaches think that he's the better option.

I don't think that Edwards had a fantastic season, but for a rookie, I thought he played damn well.

Maybe I'm nuts.

Feelings......nothing more then feelings......

acehole
05-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I'm sorry, but if Losman or any other qb for that matter comes in and plays brilliantly consistently like Peyton Manning, then there's no contreversy. They're our qb and you give them whatever they want to keep them happy.
Originally Posted by jmb1099
If that were to happen, the reactions around this place would be interesting to say the least.)

Why have we set this high bar on JP
...when worst in the league is fantastic enough for trend to be the starter?

Weird.

trapezeus
05-09-2008, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by jmb1099
If that were to happen, the reactions around this place would be interesting to say the least.)

Why have we set this high bar on JP
...when worst in the league is fantastic enough for trend to be the starter?

Weird.

if JP does that, i'd be happy to eat crow. however, i wouldn't want to bank on that happening.

im4bflo
05-09-2008, 01:38 PM
hey, I hope Trent makes me eat crow too, but I doubt it.
I'm not saying I dislike him, I'm just saying he's no more than a good second string QB. Prove me wrong Trent! GO BILLS!

Meathead
05-09-2008, 01:59 PM
i sure will be excited to see how edwards plays now that hes installed as the starter and had a full offseason to prepare

and yeah, he definitely looked really good as a rookie. when you consider how gawd awful most rooks are his mediocrity was quite impressive. for real

but two things concern me greatly and force me to keep my hero worship in check

a. he got worse as opponents got more film on him

3. his bad weather throws were consistently terrible

he absolutely has to overcome those two disturbing patterns to have a chance at success here

and god forbid he doesnt, jp wouldnt have to be manning or cheatery at all to take the job, all he would have to be is steady and reliable and productive. considering where he is in his career jp should absolutely be able to do that now. not that he will because his skitterish inconsistency is what doomed him last year. but if he can pull that off if/when he comes in for any reason the saviors job would be in serious jeopardy if he isnt already doing the same

djjimkelly
05-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Also the eagles game was the last game, that was completely meaningless for both teams so who really cares. Although I'm not sure Edwards did anything to lose that game either.

How about we talk about all the games that JP has lost during his illustrious caeeer?

~The Answer

i guess edwards didnt throw that pick inside dallas end and 9 point lead what exactly did he have to do with any of that lead

The Answer
05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
i guess edwards didnt throw that pick inside dallas end and 9 point lead what exactly did he have to do with any of that lead

1) The idiot offensive coordinator called the play when all we had to do is run the ball, take more clock, and punt downfield to make the cowboys have a longer distance to score.

2) Edwards was a rookie starting in his 2nd NFL game ever.

3) ST fumbled away what should have been a routine onside kick recovery.

Nice try.

~The Answer

Marvelous
05-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Trent will be our starter but JP would win easily if it we're a competition. Maybe the same mold as hjow awesome Rob Johnson wqas in camp & practice, but sucked in real games...

--Can't believe we gave up on JP.. He looked good in the games on MFLN replay. BUt i understand he is very flawed in the pocket & Bills fans & staff etc can't handle any more pocket ******s. From Rob -to- Drew- to- JP..Trent Edwards really looked so cozy in his debut against NE.....
--Here's to hoping Trent makes it. Cause if starts pooping & we go back to JP than we are gonna look silly...

Marvelous
05-13-2008, 11:09 PM
hey, I hope Trent makes me eat crow too, but I doubt it.
I'm not saying I dislike him, I'm just saying he's no more than a good second string QB. Prove me wrong Trent! GO BILLS!
GREAT POST! Wish i saw before i posted above..........I agree 100% bro...

feelthepain
05-13-2008, 11:30 PM

Hey, why don't you hold your breath.