PDA

View Full Version : Robert Felton

YardRat
05-03-2008, 06:03 AM
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/337867.html

University of Arkansas guard Robert Felton was a first-team All- Southeastern Conference player and an Associated Press second-team All-American.

Nevertheless, he did not get drafted last weekend.
Felton was among the players on the field Friday at the start of the Bills’ rookie minicamp. He headed the list of nine undrafted rookie free agents signed by the Bills.

Felton, a 6-foot-3, 314-pounder, helped pave the way for one of the nation’s top rushing attacks last fall. Arkansas became only the third SEC team ever to have two 1,000-yard rushers. Both were first-round draft picks — No. 4 choice Darren McFadden and No. 22 choice Felix Jones.

Felton had 42 starts in 47 career games with the Razorbacks. While seeing most of his time at guard, he saw time at both tackle spots and right guard as a senior. Straight-ahead drive blocking is considered his strength. ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper had Felton rated the ninth-best guard in the draft. NFLDraftScout.com rated him No. 7. Felton graduated with a degree in criminal justice and sociology.

Jan Reimers
05-03-2008, 06:24 AM
Give him a season, and he just might replace Fowler at center.

yordad
05-03-2008, 08:21 AM
He sounds like a really solid pickup. Rated high. Good school. Produced. I'll take it.

"Straight-ahead drive blocking is considered his strength."

Yasgur's Farm
05-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Bubbye Duke!

jamze132
05-03-2008, 08:48 AM
I would love to know why none of the 32 teams took him...

PromoTheRobot
05-03-2008, 10:30 AM
I would love to know why none of the 32 teams took him...
Maybe the same reason 32 teams passed over Tom Brady through 5 rounds.

PTR

HAMMER
05-03-2008, 10:36 AM
Bubbye Duke!
I was watching Drew Brees' golf event on NFLN yesterday that was out here at Torrey Pines. Duke was leading coming into the second round but choked, Dilfer won it in a playoff over Patrick Ramsey.

Anyways, Duke looked soft as a pillow. I agree with you and think he will have a very hard time making the team this year.

Night Train
05-03-2008, 10:41 AM
That's what I'm hoping.

His knock is lack of mobility/average feet. But he's a straight ahead drive blocker with power and can anchor against the bull rush from the DT.

Sounds perfect for Center and I've read where he was the emergency backup there at Arkansas, so he has taken snaps.

Saratoga Slim
05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Sounds like an interesting prospect, well done OBD. I like it.

YardRat
05-03-2008, 01:13 PM
If this kid can do for us at center what Peters has done at tackle, I really think I would cry.

Ron Burgundy
05-03-2008, 02:12 PM
Maybe the same reason 32 teams passed over Tom Brady through 5 rounds.

PTR

That's one answer...the one in a thousand answer.

The 999 in a thousand answer is the same reason that 32 teams passed on Ian-Yates Cunningham.

Mahdi
05-03-2008, 04:06 PM

The 999 in a thousand answer is the same reason that 32 teams passed on Ian-Yates Cunningham.
I think it has more to do with the fact that this was one of the deepest drafts ever. Naturally some good players will still be available as UDFA.

YardRat
05-03-2008, 04:17 PM

Did we sign him too? Now I'm stoked!

LifetimeBillsFan
05-03-2008, 05:14 PM

You've got it, Jan.

I think the reasons that the Bills didn't draft a center were that 1.) they must like what they have seen of Gaddis; 2.) the centers in this draft weren't that highly rated to begin with; and 3.) most of the centers still on the board in the later rounds were under-sized and not all that much different from Fowler.

Felton, however, is a guy who fits into the mold of what the Bills seem to like in their young offensive linemen: he's a mauler with size and has played multiple positions--in this case, all five offensive line positions.

Felton is a road-grader who will benefit from being in a pro workout program because, if anything, he could use to lose a little weight and improve his conditioning.

He's not the most athletic guy in space, but is a mauler who can do well in a confined area--which is what you would want from a center.

The question is whether he has the smarts to be able to learn how to make the line calls--which is essential for a center.

I suspect that the reason that he may have been passed over in the draft is that teams might not have been sure of what his best position would be (same thing happened with Peters) and had concerns about his conditioning and the fact that his lack of athleticism limits him to an interior line position.

A lot of teams like to get players who have experience working at a given position rather than try to move their players around and develop them at a different position. A few teams--and the Bills seem to be one of them--appear to prefer to take guys who may not be that experienced or who they see playing a different position than they did in college and develop them.

The Bills are one of several teams out there that seem to really place a high value on versatility in their offensive linemen--because very often these teams only carry 7 (at most 8) offensive linemen on their active roster on gameday and, with only a couple of backups available, versatility is important in case one of the starters gets hurt during the game. And, Felton fits that mold.

Regardless of how highly the Bills value Fowler, we all know that Preston is marginal at best as a backup, but Preston has held onto his job because he can play center and both guard positions. With a year of seasoning, I can easily see Felton being able to at least challenge Preston for that job (if Gaddis doesn't take it away from Preston this season).

I think that Gaddis has a shot to move up the depth chart this season and that, in a year, Felton and Gaddis have a chance to supplant Fowler and Preston entirely--even though I think that the Bills want to keep Fowler in the starting lineup this season for in order to develop some continuity in their starting offensive line.

TedMock
05-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I think this was a solid signing. If anything, he competes with Preston. He doesn't move well and that's a problem, but maybe coaching will help. Straight power blockers in the NFL also have to be able to move. If that's all he can do then he's only of use in a very limited role. Mike Pucillo and Bennie Anderson were "Road Graters."

Fowler catches a lot of flack because he's not always strong at going straight up against big, bull-rushers, but our offense pulls the heck out of the line and he does pull very well and is very good at blocking in the open field. It's not as simple as just stopping the nose tackle when he's lined up in front of you. Having said that, if Felton (or anybody else) proves to be better overall than anybody on the team, I'm all for having the best player on the field.

Ebenezer
05-03-2008, 08:48 PM
something still doesn't make sense...had to be a reason he wasn't drafted.

Michael82
05-04-2008, 12:46 AM
If this kid can do for us at center what Peters has done at tackle, I really think I would cry.
Me too.

:pray:

LABillsFan
05-04-2008, 12:51 AM
If he can open up a hole anywhere on that line it would be nice. It'll be interesting to see how long it takes the OLinemen to realize that they either open up a hole or get Viti's helmet logo tatooed on their backs.

DrGraves
05-04-2008, 12:56 AM
jones and mcfadden in the first round, sounds like this kid was a big reason for it... im looking forward to seeing what happens with him