PDA

View Full Version : Best UDFA's since 1994

ddaryl
05-03-2008, 08:57 AM
Here's hoping we have yet another star UFDA in our mix

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1135303/13/13/index.htm

Buffalo Bills mentioned

Pat Williams (never forgive TD for this one)

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1135303/6/13/index.htm
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0804/nfl.best.undrafted.free.agents/images/pat-williams.jpg

Undrafted out of Texas A&M, this beefy defensive lineman spent seven seasons in Buffalo and made two straight Pro Bowls while anchoring the Vikings' stout run defense.

Jason Peters

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/gallery/featured/GAL1135303/12/13/index.htm
http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0804/nfl.best.undrafted.free.agents/images/jason-peters.jpg

Undrafted out of Arkansas, Peters won the Bills' right tackle starting job in 2005 and was named to his first Pro Bowl in 2007.

Others mentioned

Rod Smith

The Broncos took a chance on this UFA out of Missouri Southern and Smith rewarded them by becoming the only UFA with 10,000 career receiving yards. He's 15th in league history in career receptions.

Kurt Warner

The Packers were the first team to take a chance on this QB from Northern Iowa, who went on to win two NFL MVP awards (1999, 2001) and was named MVP of Super Bowl XXXIV for the champion Rams.

Wayne Chrebet

Undrafted out of Hofstra, Chrebet played 11 seasons for the Jets, becoming a fan favorite while catching 580 passes. His jersey number hasn't been worn by a Jet since his retirement in 2006.

Adam Vinatieri

Undrafted out of South Dakota State, Vinatieri is considered the most clutch kicker in NFL history and has earned four Super Bowl rings -- three with the Patriots and one with the Colts

Priest Holmes

Holmes earned a Super Bowl ring with the team that signed him as a UFA, the Ravens, but the former Texas running back earned his fame in Kansas City, where he set the single-season touchdown record (since broken).

Jeff Saturday

The Ravens signed this center as an UFA out of North Carolina in April 1998, only to cut him two months later. As a Colt, Saturday has been in three Pro Bowls and is a three-time All-Pro first-teamer.

James Harrison

An undrafted linebacker out of Kent State, Harrison made the Pro Bowl in 2007 and was nicknamed "Mr. Monday Night" after forcing three fumbles, recovering another and intercepting a pass against the Ravens.

Tony Romo

Undrafted out of Eastern Illinois, Romo now owns several Cowboys' passing records, including most TDs in a season (36) and a game (5).

Antonio Gates

A basketball player at Kent State, Gates signed with the Chargers, who saw his potential as a tight end. Since 2004, only Randy Moss and Marvin Harrison have caught more touchdown passes.

Willie Parker

This former Tar Heel backed up Jerome Bettis in 2004, then helped push The Bus into retirement with a breakout 2005 season that included a Super Bowl-record 75-yard TD run.

Joshua Cribbs

The third Golden Flash in this group, Cribbs went undrafted out of Kent State, where he played quarterback. Now with the Browns, Cribbs is one of the NFL's most dangerous return men.

Jan Reimers
05-03-2008, 09:09 AM
Felton and Buggs seem to be the highest rated by the draft guides I've seen, but who knows which of our guys might become a star.

I like the whole UDFA process as much or more than the draft, because of the unknown factor.

PECKERWOOD
05-03-2008, 01:07 PM
Pat Williams and Jason Peters are probably 2 of my favorite Bills over the last 10-15 years easily. Btw, I thought Romo was a 2nd round pick? I don't believe that he was an UDFA.

ddaryl
05-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Btw, I thought Romo was a 2nd round pick? I don't believe that he was an UDFA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Romo

nope UDFA

Michael82
05-03-2008, 01:25 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Romo

nope UDFA
wow! I didn't know that. What a steal! :shocked:

PECKERWOOD
05-03-2008, 01:25 PM
wow! I didn't know that. What a steal! :shocked:

Don't worry Mikey, soon the Bills very own Palestinian Pistol will be on that list!

chernobylwraiths
05-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I love hearing, "there isn't an Antonio Gates TE in this draft". I guess it is true for every draft.

LifetimeBillsFan
05-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Two of their top 13 were picked up and developed by the Bills. Interesting.

(Like Marv Levy and legions of Bills fans, I believe that Pat Williams never should have been let go by the team. Of all of the veteran players that the team has let go in free agency or gotten rid of in recent years, Pat Williams is the only one that I think the team should have gone out of its way to retain. IMHO losing Williams set the team back as much as Mike Williams turning out to be a "bust".)

The Bills have done quite well with the UDFAs that the team has picked up in recent years--unfortunately their drafts were not nearly as productive. In addition to players like Peters, Greer, DiGiorgio, Leonard, etc. who have played for the Bills, there have been others, like Luke Lawton and the CB who ended up starting for the Ravens at the end of the season a couple of years back, etc., that were plucked from the Bills' PS who won active roster spots on other teams as well.

As the Bills get better as a team it is going to be harder for UDFAs to make the team and get the chance to show what they can do, but, in order for a team to become a true Super Bowl contending team, it is essential that a team find a couple of "hidden gens" late in the draft or as UDFAs. You've got to get playmakers at the top of the draft, some additional starters and key role players in the middle of the draft, but you've also got to find those late round and UDFA "steals" to build a roster strong enough and deep enough to challenge for a SB title.

I don't know too much about the group of UDFAs that the Bills have brought in this year, but I'm hoping that they can find one or two in the group who can make the team (I'm particularly hoping that Felton can develop into their center of the future--with former teammate Peters as an example of what is possible).

Michael82
05-04-2008, 12:43 AM
Two of their top 13 were picked up and developed by the Bills. Interesting.

(Like Marv Levy and legions of Bills fans, I believe that Pat Williams never should have been let go by the team. Of all of the veteran players that the team has let go in free agency or gotten rid of in recent years, Pat Williams is the only one that I think the team should have gone out of its way to retain. IMHO losing Williams set the team back as much as Mike Williams turning out to be a "bust".)

The Bills have done quite well with the UDFAs that the team has picked up in recent years--unfortunately their drafts were not nearly as productive. In addition to players like Peters, Greer, DiGiorgio, Leonard, etc. who have played for the Bills, there have been others, like Luke Lawton and the CB who ended up starting for the Ravens at the end of the season a couple of years back, etc., that were plucked from the Bills' PS who won active roster spots on other teams as well.

As the Bills get better as a team it is going to be harder for UDFAs to make the team and get the chance to show what they can do, but, in order for a team to become a true Super Bowl contending team, it is essential that a team find a couple of "hidden gens" late in the draft or as UDFAs. You've got to get playmakers at the top of the draft, some additional starters and key role players in the middle of the draft, but you've also got to find those late round and UDFA "steals" to build a roster strong enough and deep enough to challenge for a SB title.

I don't know too much about the group of UDFAs that the Bills have brought in this year, but I'm hoping that they can find one or two in the group who can make the team (I'm particularly hoping that Felton can develop into their center of the future--with former teammate Peters as an example of what is possible).
Luke Lawton is an example of how the Bills don't respect the FB position. He's done a pretty good job in Indy. If they put him on the roster, we might have finally had our FB. I'm hoping the same thing does not happen to Viti.

LABillsFan
05-04-2008, 12:57 AM
Luke Lawton is an example of how the Bills don't respect the FB position. He's done a pretty good job in Indy. If they put him on the roster, we might have finally had our FB. I'm hoping the same thing does not happen to Viti.

The Bills have gone through quite a few since Gash. DJ and co. seemed quite intent on using a FB. The question is can ML's patience. Will he be able to follow a lead blocker? Or at least let the play develope. Viti could be used on goal line and short yardage, I hope it doesn't become too predictable if that's all Viti is used for.

Crisis
05-04-2008, 05:26 AM
oh man do i miss sam gash