X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Rookie Minicamp Day Two Notes

Day two of minicamp played out in much the same fashion as day one in terms of drill work and fundamentals. It began with special teams again with coordinator Bobby April running the majority of the roster through punt protection sets in a walk-through format.

A lot of the rookies have proven to be very willing during the special teams segments knowing how seriously the Bills franchise takes that third of the game. Seventh-round pick Kennard Cox is already buying into the importance of special teams.

• jmb1099
    • Sep 2004

Re: Rookie Minicamp Day Two Notes

tight end Derek Fine made the catch of the day. The fourth-round pick snared a pass behind his body with one hand and pulled it while running across the middle.

hmmm

Comment

• ddaryl
      Everything I post is sexual inuendo
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jmb1099
      tight end Derek Fine made the catch of the day. The fourth-round pick snared a pass behind his body with one hand and pulled it while running across the middle.

hmmm
      his pre-draft profiles pretty much says he has soft hands.. he just isn't going to stretch the field from the TE position...

Comment

• YardRat
        Well, lookie here...
        • Dec 2004

We can stretch the field with our receivers now, hopefully. If this kid can be a reliable target over the middle, in the soft bellies of the zones, it's going to be huge.
        YardRat Wall of Fame
        #56 DARRYL TALLEY
        #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
          Defies all logic
          • Oct 2006

Originally posted by YardRat
          We can stretch the field with our receivers now, hopefully. If this kid can be a reliable target over the middle, in the soft bellies of the zones, it's going to be huge.
          I agree, hell if the guy can even catch the football he will be an upgrade over anything we got at TE.

Comment

• LABillsFan
            • Aug 2002

Originally posted by YardRat
            I agree, a TE like Gonzalez is a luxury, but by no means a necessity. Reliable and consistant is what I think the Bills are looking for, plus blocking down field, let's see how he does when its a full camp. Hopefully he can contribute.
            I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Romes
              • Jul 2002

It be nice to have a TE that can remember to keep both feet inbounds
              Originally posted by paladin warrior
              RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                • May 2003

I hope Huggins and Hewitt have really good excuses for not being there, like they've died or are very close.
                Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• LifetimeBillsFan
                  All-Pro Zoner
                  • Aug 2004

Derek Fine is going to be pretty much what Michael Gaines was for the Bills last season: a short area target for Trent Edwards to drop the ball off to.

I saw a couple of Fine's games at Kansas the last two years and that is exactly the role that he played in their offense.

Fine is not the kind of guy who will stand out--he's not Antonio Gates or Jason Whitten, who can rip through the heart of a defense. But, he's a guy who will get open and make the catch when the QB is feeling the rush or gets flushed from the pocket. They didn't throw him the ball much, but I do remember him converting a couple of key first downs against top teams.

My concern about Fine on the NFL level is that he isn't the biggest guy out there and I wonder if he has enough size to hold up as an in-line blocker. As I recall, he isn't a great blocker--because he needs to work on his technique--but he is a willing blocker--a guy who will throw his body in there, even if doing so means that he is going to take a beating. That tells me that he can get better as a blocker as he works on his technique, but, on the NFL level, technique can only take you so far when the guys you are going up against are as big and as athletic as defensive players are on the NFL level.

Still, I can see Derek Fine developing into at least a reasonable replacement for Michael Gaines (who was not considered much of a blocker despite his size--the reason that Carolina let him go) with better hands in the short area.

He's never going to be Vernon Davis or Kellen Winslow, because he's not that kind of athlete--but he can be a Bo Scaife, Erron Kinney type of short range TE if he improves his blocking techniques.
                  Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it. And, thus it was that they surrendered their freedom; not with a bang, but without even a whimper.

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Romes
                    It be nice to have a TE that can remember to keep both feet inbounds
                    Oh. my.

Comment

• Night Train
                      Retired - On Several Levels
                      • Jul 2005

Steve Johnson probably made two of the more difficult grabs pulling one in around his ankles while in stride. Johnson was again praised for running routes sharply at times, which is a good sign for a player still young at the position.

Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• coastal
                        Legendary Zoner
                        • Mar 2005

I have this feeling that Steve Johnson is going to be one of the biggest steals of this draft.

Comment

• TedMock
                          • Jul 2002

I love the Steve Johnson pick and I really hope he proves to be a steal. As for Fine, I don't care if he stretches the field. I care that he's reliable for 7 yards when we need 6 on 2nd or 3rd down.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
                            Roways rooking ahread!
                            • Sep 2005

Everything is going to be just fine.

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

I think Fine was a stupid pick. We could have kept Gaines and drafted another positon, like another WR.

As LTBF just said he's not going to be great. We had that with Gaines.

Comment

Working...
                              X