PDA

View Full Version : Whitner On Hardy: "He's Going To Make A Lot Of Noise"

The Spaz
05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
When Donte Whitner was roaming the secondary as a college player for Ohio State, their game plan each week was pretty straightforward. On a roster blessed with more than its share of top flight athletes, most of the time the coaching staff would leave the secondary in man-to-man coverage knowing their cornerbacks could handle it. In his three seasons playing for the Buckeyes Whitner can only remember one exception, Indiana receiver James Hardy.

"The only guy we ever based our defensive coverages around was him," said Whitner of Hardy. "We didn't game plan for a lot of receivers, but we did game plan for him."

In the three games prior to Indiana's matchup with Ohio State, Hardy in his first full collegiate season of football had racked up 478 receiving yards on 29 catches (16.4 avg.) and five touchdowns. That included a ridiculous 12-catch 203-yard and two touchdown performance at Iowa the week before. Standing over 6'5" with a vertical leap of 37 inches, even the highly-ranked Buckeyes had to give Hardy extra attention.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6062

Luisito23
05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Again, what CB in the league can possibly cover this beast in the redzone 1 on 1?

justasportsfan
05-05-2008, 04:35 PM
I hope the noise isn't from a woman screaming for help.

RockStar36
05-05-2008, 04:39 PM
For what it is worth...Whitner also said Youboty should start over McGee a few years back.

SABuffalo786
05-05-2008, 04:42 PM

Ba dum dum

TigerJ
05-05-2008, 05:06 PM
Again, what CB in the league can possibly cover this beast in the redzone 1 on 1? That's also true of Randy Moss, but I wouldn't put Hardy in that category just yet. He presents matchup problems for any defense when he plays well, but when he was with the Raiders Randy Moss managed to disappear and become a non-factor. To be a difference maker, Hardy will still have to dedicate himself to the game, to getting and keeping himself in condition, learning what is expected of him in our offense and the putting himself on the line in the game. I'm very optimistic he can be a difference maker, but it won't happen just because he steps on the field.

Confused
05-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Hardy only seems like 10% of the a-hole Moss is.

patmoran2006
05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
He musta really had some red flags with character issues; not necessarily to us fans; but to a lot of organizations.

I say that because physically this guy seems nearly unstoppable; and in terms of what he can do physically on the field easily sounds like a Top 10 pick.

If this dude can keep his nose clean, and if he can produce physically the way a lot of people (and not just media) are talking about him.. We may have the next Terrell Owens on this team (talent, not 'tude)

yordad
05-05-2008, 05:46 PM
For what it is worth...Whitner also said Youboty should start over McGee a few years back.:link:

PECKERWOOD
05-05-2008, 06:31 PM
I can't wait to see him on the field.

Turf
05-05-2008, 06:48 PM
It will all come down to the coaching, one thing we've been terribly inept at the last 10 years.

RockStar36
05-05-2008, 07:02 PM
:link:

I don't have an exact link because it was years ago on our old board but here is a word for word quote from it.

do you see your ohio state teammate ashton youboty coming in being our nickel corner?

DW: I expect him to him to compete for a starting CB job next to Nate Clements.

TigerJ
05-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Hardy only seems like 10% of the a-hole Moss is.

In my comparison of the two, I did not intend to suggest their attitudes/character are anything alike. I like what I have seen of Hardy. I think that given his background it is nearly a miracle that he turned out as good as he has. I am reassured by seeing the tape of him waiting to be drafted, sitting between his mom and dad. In spite of his dad serving prison time while he was in high school and having to room with his uncle (who had gotten out of prison), they seem to be a family that cares for each other. Hardy really seems to get the concept of "TEAM." Whatever Hardy does this season, I really think the Bills did their research well and Hardy is going to benefit the team in the long run.

ghz in pittsburgh
05-05-2008, 08:00 PM
What impresses me is not about Hardy - who knows what he can do until he actually steps onto the field in an NFL game; what impressed me is about Whitner himself. This is almost coaching like words coming out of his mouth. Remember he's talking about offense and he plays defense. He seems to be really good about Xs and Os, getting into step 2 and step 3 from there.

Frankly I'm a little surprised that with the brain he has and with the physical ability he has, he has not turned in more big plays last year.

Maybe Stroud and a more healthy linebacking corp will really help him this year. If he's not asked to do the more physical oriented run stopping stuff, more on using his head and speed in the free wheeling safety spot, he can shine more in terms of big plays.

HHURRICANE
05-05-2008, 08:07 PM

That's funny.:nod:

HAMMER
05-05-2008, 11:06 PM
That's funny.:nod:
No..it's not.

The Answer
05-06-2008, 01:39 AM
When Donte Whitner was roaming the secondary as a college player for Ohio State, their game plan each week was pretty straightforward. On a roster blessed with more than its share of top flight athletes, most of the time the coaching staff would leave the secondary in man-to-man coverage knowing their cornerbacks could handle it. In his three seasons playing for the Buckeyes Whitner can only remember one exception, Indiana receiver James Hardy.

"The only guy we ever based our defensive coverages around was him," said Whitner of Hardy. "We didn't game plan for a lot of receivers, but we did game plan for him."

In the three games prior to Indiana's matchup with Ohio State, Hardy in his first full collegiate season of football had racked up 478 receiving yards on 29 catches (16.4 avg.) and five touchdowns. That included a ridiculous 12-catch 203-yard and two touchdown performance at Iowa the week before. Standing over 6'5" with a vertical leap of 37 inches, even the highly-ranked Buckeyes had to give Hardy extra attention.

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6062

Hardy didn't get a lot of hype because Indiana sucked and he had garbage around him.

Don't be surprised 3 years from now if we look back and realize what a steal he was where we drafted him.

~The Answer

jamze132
05-06-2008, 08:59 AM
Well if he and McLovin turn out to be great, I probably won't have many bad things to say about the Bills FO when it comes to the draft. They seem to be 100 times better at it than Donadouche and have been doing it consistently since he left. They have gotten some really good players in recent years.

Mitchy moo
05-06-2008, 09:48 AM
I think this kid has his head on right now and is ready for some big ballin'.