• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Expectations for Hardy....

Check out this article that was linked on the BZ homepage:

Hardy's rookie task a tall order: score often (Photo Source) Score. The Buffalo Bills could not do enough it of last year, but as a junior wide receiver at Indiana University, James Hardy did...

I didn't see a thread about it, so if this is a duplicate, I apologize.

Long story short: he broke down the production of the top few receivers in each of the last 5 draft classes. There were a few exceptions like Fitzgerald, but for the most part, receivers in their first year were not very successful. The author seems to think the Bills can get 4-6 TD's out of him.

This goes along with what I've been saying about our chances for this season. We simply didn't do enough with the offense. I like the Hardy pick, but the most likely outcome is that he'll produce 3-6 TD's in his first year because that's typical of receivers in their first season. The FO put him in the unfortunate position of being the only major addition to the 30th ranked offense.

I know some people have high hopes about Edwards and Lynch because it's their sophomore season and somehow it's become the conventional wisdom around here that players improve the most between Year 1 and Year 2. But that's not really the case. To take some recent examples, Lee Evans, John McCargo and Terrance McGee definitely improved in their second year. Keith Ellison, Kyle Williams, Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson definitely did not (although Ko gets a pass due to injury). In reality, some players develop in their second year and some players hit a sophomore slump. We won't know which one it will be for Lynch and Edwards until they hit the field.

On paper, the D is a lot better, so it's a shame that we're relying on improvement from 2nd year players (which worked so well last year ) and a rookie WR to fix the O. I expect a lot of low scoring games with more 7 minute 4th quarter drives by our opponents, just like last year.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • Philagape
    WIN NOW
    • Jul 2002

Re: Expectations for Hardy....

Hardy's impact should be measured not just by his own numbers, but also how much Evans' numbers are bumped because of defenses having to worry about someone else.

Of course, the offense's improvement really hinges on Edwards; it goes nowhere unless he takes the next step, but if he does that, it can be vastly improved. If he becomes the QB he showed glimpses of, that will make all the receivers, TEs and RBs look better.

As for Lynch, the line's run blocking needs improvement more than he does.
    "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
    2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• ParanoidAndroid
      My battery is low and it's getting dark.
      • Apr 2004

I can't disagree with this except the last part about long 4th Q drives. I find it hard to believe our defense will be as poor at stopping the run late in games as it was last year.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
        Defies all logic
        • Oct 2006

38 receptions 500 yards and 6 TD's

Comment

• OpIv37
          Acid Douching Asswipe
          • Sep 2002

Originally posted by andyxc71
          I can't disagree with this except the last part about long 4th Q drives. I find it hard to believe our defense will be as poor at stopping the run late in games as it was last year.
          I don't think it's going to be the D's fault- I think it's going to be the O's fault for not getting/keeping them off the field. But we'll see.
          MiKiDo Facebook
          MiKiDo Website

Comment

• OpIv37
            Acid Douching Asswipe
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
            that's towards the higher end of reasonable, but still reasonable.
            MiKiDo Facebook
            MiKiDo Website

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
              • Apr 2005

OP, what moves would you have liked to see the Bills make offensively this offseason? I hear people say this, but without being vague, please give some names or moves that would have "done enough" as you say to make this team better. Ill give you tight end as one possibiliy. Im sure if we brought in some declining yet big name like Crumpler, everyone here would be happy. But I never hear a legit arguement for a move we should have made.

Sure I can agree we havent "done enough" to be contending for a Super Bowl, but we will without a doubt improve from last year offensively. I just have a hard time blaming the FO for not making a ton of moves offensively when i dont feel there was a lot of options.

Comment

• RockStar36
                Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                that's towards the higher end of reasonable, but still reasonable.
                If he grabs 6 touchdowns and also opens it up a bit for Evans and Parrish that will be a great addition.

D & S Sports

Comment

• OpIv37
                  Acid Douching Asswipe
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by FlyingDutchman
                  OP, what moves would you have liked to see the Bills make offensively this offseason? I hear people say this, but without being vague, please give some names or moves that would have "done enough" as you say to make this team better. Ill give you tight end as one possibiliy. Im sure if we brought in some declining yet big name like Crumpler, everyone here would be happy. But I never hear a legit arguement for a move we should have made.

Sure I can agree we havent "done enough" to be contending for a Super Bowl, but we will without a doubt improve from last year offensively. I just have a hard time blaming the FO for not making a ton of moves offensively when i dont feel there was a lot of options.
                  well you do have a point in that there may not have been a whole lot for the FO to do- save the Crumpler example you already cited- especially since they devoted a lot of resources to the D. But regardless of whether we choose to blame the FO or not, the question still remains: what will make the offense improve over last year's #31 ranking?

Well, Lynch and Edwards have another year of experience, we added Teyo Johnson and Courtney Anderson, the OL had a year to gel, and we drafted Hardy. And we didn't have any significant losses in the off-season.

Those are facts- like it or hate it, blame the FO or don't blame the FO, but that's what we have. So the next question: Is this enough to truly improve the O?

Honestly, I see some improvement. Hardy, even in a limited role and with rookie mistakes, is a big target that we've been missing. RB's tend to peak early in their careers- Lynch looked good last year and with a full off season, I expect him to get better. I'm not sold on Edwards yet- I'd say I'm on the cautious side of "cautiously optimistic." When it comes to Anderson and Johnson, I think they're carbon copies of the other bargain-basement stopgap solutions we've been using at TE for at least the last 5 years.

But at the end of the day, I just don't think it will be enough. I bet we'll go up in offensive rank to 24 or 25, but the O still won't put up enough points or keep the D off the field. I could be wrong- hopefully I am because our D should be good so even mediocre offensive production could go a long way- but that's my opinion as of right now.
                  MiKiDo Facebook
                  MiKiDo Website

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                    Sab and TD are insignificant
                    • Sep 2002

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                    I'm gonna go 53 for 750-780 yards and 7 tds.
                    www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                      Sab and TD are insignificant
                      • Sep 2002

personally, I would have rather seen us part with our #1 for Boldin or Williams, and then draft a corner.

Or take McKelvin, and then offer our first next year for Boldin or Williams and then take Hardy in the second - we'd be so loaded at WR.
                      www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• RockStar36
                        Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
                        • Sep 2004

Originally posted by OpIv37
                        well you do have a point in that there may not have been a whole lot for the FO to do- save the Crumpler example you already cited- especially since they devoted a lot of resources to the D. But regardless of whether we choose to blame the FO or not, the question still remains: what will make the offense improve over last year's #31 ranking?

Well, Lynch and Edwards have another year of experience, we added Teyo Johnson and Courtney Anderson, the OL had a year to gel, and we drafted Hardy. And we didn't have any significant losses in the off-season.

Those are facts- like it or hate it, blame the FO or don't blame the FO, but that's what we have. So the next question: Is this enough to truly improve the O?

Honestly, I see some improvement. Hardy, even in a limited role and with rookie mistakes, is a big target that we've been missing. RB's tend to peak early in their careers- Lynch looked good last year and with a full off season, I expect him to get better. I'm not sold on Edwards yet- I'd say I'm on the cautious side of "cautiously optimistic." When it comes to Anderson and Johnson, I think they're carbon copies of the other bargain-basement stopgap solutions we've been using at TE for at least the last 5 years.

But at the end of the day, I just don't think it will be enough. I bet we'll go up in offensive rank to 24 or 25, but the O still won't put up enough points or keep the D off the field. I could be wrong- hopefully I am because our D should be good so even mediocre offensive production could go a long way- but that's my opinion as of right now.
                        You left two things out.

Fairchild is gone.

And they will have a full-time fullback to lead the way for Lynch.

D & S Sports

Comment

• FlyingDutchman
                          • Apr 2005

I agree we wont be lighting up the field, and I think 25th on O would be fair. Im hoping for an improvement to 20th or so. That would be a damn good improvement for a team as young and and inexperienced as ours.

Comment

• Philagape
                            WIN NOW
                            • Jul 2002

If the big factors go right -- Edwards improves, Schonert knows what he's doing, Hardy makes immediate impact -- we should be top 15 or better. Each of those variables has a decent chance IMO.

The O was doomed by bad quarterbacking, bad coaching, bad receivers. All three have hope now.
                            "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                            2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• HHURRICANE
                              • Mar 2005

The Lions never got a call on Williams. They were looking for a trade and never got a call.

To me if the Bills were serious about improving the offense than a simple phone call to the Lions would have been a start.

OP is 100% right. One rookie WR isn't going to fix our prblems on offense.

Comment

Working...
                              X