• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YardRat
    Well, lookie here...
    • Dec 2004

Bills' retooled defense still has plenty to prove

The Globe and Mail Sports section provides sports news, post-game analysis, in-depth features and video on Canada's teams. Find breaking sports news on baseball, football, basketball, hockey, soccer, tennis, golf, the Olympics and more.

Despite all the attention the Buffalo Bills spent on retooling their defence this offseason, Perry Fewell thinks it's way too early to get overly excited or start speaking in absolutes.

Then again, the coordinator has good reason to couch his hopes after what happened last year, when the Bills defence was decimated by injuries at every position but tackle. So Fewell peppers his comments with words like "should" and "might" in acknowledging his unit has the potential to be vastly improved after finishing 31st in yards allowed in the NFL last year.

"Yes, on paper," Fewell said during the Bills three-day rookie minicamp this weekend. "On paper, we've done some things to enhance the defence. Now, can we execute it when the pads go on? That'll be the big thing."
    YardRat Wall of Fame
    #56 DARRYL TALLEY
    #29 DERRICK BURROUGHS#22 FRED JACKSON #95 KYLE WILLIAMS
  • Night Train
    Retired - On Several Levels
    • Jul 2005

Re: Bills' retooled defense still has plenty to prove

Fewell better start running an actual gameplan that doesn't require the DE to cover a RB 20 yards downfield. See the NY Giants.
    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• coastal
      Legendary Zoner
      • Mar 2005

Fewell is garbage.

Comment

• Buckets
        • Jun 2003

Already making excuses?

Comment

• HHURRICANE
          • Mar 2005

This D isn't that good. Crowell and Kelsay are mediocre at best. We have one pro-bowler that started for the Bills last year. Now we have Stroud who many are saying will never be the same player. Jacksonville let him walk for a reason.

We are not going from 30th to 9th in D with this roster.

Comment

• jamze132
            Don’t hate…
            • Jun 2003

Well just about 32 teams all seem to improve on paper each offseason, or at least they think they do. We can improve by just staying healthy.

Comment

• dasaybz
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by coastal
              Fewell is garbage.
              Please name another D-Coordinator that would have been much better than Fewell last year.

His defense consisted of George Wilson, Bryan Scott, John DiGeorgio, Jim Leonhard, Jason Jefferson, Keith Ellison, and Coy Wire.

I'm sorry, but nobody is going to do a good job with those guys starting week in and week out.

Comment

• BuffaloBillsStampede
                • Aug 2005

I just wish we would blitz more. I think our LB core can do some real damage with the blitz. POZ, Crow, and Mitch can get after the passer. With Stroud and McCargo taking up the middle they should have a pretty easy run at the QB. If Schobel doesn't have at least 10 sacks this year I will be very disappointed in him.
                SUPER MARIO PLEASE COME TO BUFFALO!!!!

Comment

• raphael120
                  Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                  • Oct 2005

Well if the "will" or "mights" dont turn into "does" and "will do", Fewell will be a "has been".

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                    Defies all logic
                    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dasaybz
                    Please name another D-Coordinator that would have been much better than Fewell last year.

His defense consisted of George Wilson, Bryan Scott, John DiGeorgio, Jim Leonhard, Jason Jefferson, Keith Ellison, and Coy Wire.

I'm sorry, but nobody is going to do a good job with those guys starting week in and week out.
                    Well, it's not like our defense was ranked in the top 10 or something. We were ranked 31st, so it would be hard to do worst. One name I'll throw out there is Ron Rivera.

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                      Defies all logic
                      • Oct 2006

Originally posted by raphael120
                      Well if the "will" or "mights" dont turn into "does" and "will do", Fewell will be a "has been".
                      You can't be a has been if you've never been.

Comment

• yordad
                        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                        This D isn't that good. Crowell and Kelsay are mediocre at best. We have one pro-bowler that started for the Bills last year. Now we have Stroud who many are saying will never be the same player. Jacksonville let him walk for a reason.

I disagree. More then half of the starter are different, and every position will be better. Every position.
                        "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Fewell asked for more beef up the middle prior to last season and never got it. He got it now so there shouldn't be any more excuses.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• Pinkerton Security
                            Pinkerton's son
                            • Feb 2006

Originally posted by HHURRICANE
                            says who.

Comment

• Luisito23
                              Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
                              • Apr 2003

I really liked the way we our gameplanned our defense against Dallas, I just never got why we didn't do that more often???
                              "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
                              ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
                              ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
                              ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

Working...
                              X