PDA

View Full Version : Jim Balsillie wanted to buy Sabres

YardRat
05-06-2008, 06:01 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/story/2008/05/06/nhl-sabres-balsillie.html

Billionaire Jim Balsillie contacted Buffalo Sabres owner Tom Golisano earlier this season about the possibility of purchasing the franchise, a sign he's still seeking an NHL franchise after two unsuccessful attempts.

Balsillie, the co-chief executive officer of Blackberry maker Research in Motion, phoned Golisano around Christmas, a source familiar with the matter told The Toronto Star.

Golisano indicated he would be open to selling the club, but not if Balsillie was planning to relocate it.

RockStar36
05-06-2008, 06:48 AM
I don't know anything about this guy. I'm assuming he would have to agree not to move? Why was he unsuccessful his first two times? Would he spend money like crazy?

LABillsFan
05-06-2008, 07:04 AM
I think he's the guy that wanted to buy the Pred's and move them to Hamilton?

RockStar36
05-06-2008, 07:32 AM
He is.

I just heard more about him on WGR. He attempted to purchase both Pittsburgh and Nashville and wanted to move them both so basically this report is a dead story since Tom G. prohibited moving the franchise.

It is a scary thought the more I think about it though. I don't want to lose the Sabres or the Bills and I don't like how it constantly comes up in conversation.

Michael82
05-06-2008, 08:49 AM
He is.

I just heard more about him on WGR. He attempted to purchase both Pittsburgh and Nashville and wanted to move them both so basically this report is a dead story since Tom G. prohibited moving the franchise.

It is a scary thought the more I think about it though. I don't want to lose the Sabres or the Bills and I don't like how it constantly comes up in conversation.
The sad truth is, we will most likely lose one of them or maybe even both. This crappy economy and all the people that keep leaving Western NY does not help, that's for sure. :(

RockStar36
05-06-2008, 08:55 AM
I guess I understand the whole crappy economy thing but I don't understand why either franchise should cry poor. Both of them consistently sell out the stadium and when the Sabres were deep in the playoff run they were easily the hottest team in the NHL. Everyone bought merchandise, tickets, etc. Those are the things I wish the management would see. They sit there and ***** about breaking even but don't realize that they need to spend the money to make the money. They were so concerned with breaking even this season and I bet they did worse by not spending money because they lose out on all that ticket revenue, not to mention what it does for the city of Buffalo. I was one of the people that actually drove to Buffalo, got a hotel downtown, and went to the Party at the Plaza. That is how crazy the city was during the playoff run. I bet downtown Buffalo is dead right now because the Sabres have nothing going on.

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2008, 09:18 AM
He is.

Guys the Sabres are NOT going anywhere. If anything a game or 2 in Hamilton which is fine with me. Plus Bassille is a hockey guy and would probably do more to win.

Then Tom G could buy the Bills.

RockStar36
05-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Thurm, Bassille would definitely want to move the Sabres. He tried to move the previous two franchises. I could understand moving Nashville to Hamilton (which would be great for the NHL) but I don't fully understand wanting to move Pittsburgh.

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2008, 09:30 AM
I guess I understand the whole crappy economy thing but I don't understand why either franchise should cry poor. Both of them consistently sell out the stadium and when the Sabres were deep in the playoff run they were easily the hottest team in the NHL. Everyone bought merchandise, tickets, etc. Those are the things I wish the management would see. They sit there and ***** about breaking even but don't realize that they need to spend the money to make the money. They were so concerned with breaking even this season and I bet they did worse by not spending money because they lose out on all that ticket revenue, not to mention what it does for the city of Buffalo. I was one of the people that actually drove to Buffalo, got a hotel downtown, and went to the Party at the Plaza. That is how crazy the city was during the playoff run. I bet downtown Buffalo is dead right now because the Sabres have nothing going on.
The Downtown area is slowly perking up. There have been a couple thousand living units(lofts and condos) that just went up down there. It will take time. If you drive through DT on a saturday afternoon when there is no specific festival/event going on it is like a ghost town. On a side note you should try driving down Elmwood on a weekend afternoon. It is bumping and really just off the DT path.

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Thurm, Bassille would definitely want to move the Sabres. He tried to move the previous two franchises. I could understand moving Nashville to Hamilton (which would be great for the NHL) but I don't fully understand wanting to move Pittsburgh.
He could only purchase them as stated in the above article if he agreed not to move them.

RockStar36
05-06-2008, 09:34 AM
Which is why he didn't purchase them. That was most likely his intention.

And I agree with the DT area. The first time I was really downtown was during the playoff run last year and I thought it was totally badass. Then the last time we went I woke up that Saturday morning and it looked more dead than downtown Erie. That was depressing. There went my dream of living in Buffalo.

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2008, 10:41 AM
Which is why he didn't purchase them. That was most likely his intention.

And I agree with the DT area. The first time I was really downtown was during the playoff run last year and I thought it was totally badass. Then the last time we went I woke up that Saturday morning and it looked more dead than downtown Erie. That was depressing. There went my dream of living in Buffalo.
Downtown Buffalo is always busier than DT Erie. Don't mistake that fact!

Also in the summer there are festivals and events downtown every weekend.

RockStar36
05-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Dude, I don't know. That Saturday afternoon was as dead as dead can be.

Bill Brasky
05-06-2008, 10:54 AM
if you can believe it, rochester's downtown is worse. it's not just buffalo.

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Dude, I don't know. That Saturday afternoon was as dead as dead can be.
It was still winter man.

THATHURMANATOR
05-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Hey I partied in Erie all the time.

RockStar36
05-06-2008, 11:04 AM
Well I'm not saying Erie is a hot bed for action or anything I was just surprised at the lack of anything going on. I guess I had this picture of when I went to downtown Buffalo last and it was crazy and I painted this picture for my girl and got her all excited for the hockey game and it was an enormous letdown in many ways.

Myers57
05-07-2008, 12:38 AM
what a great article find!

submitted to digg

YardRat
05-07-2008, 03:03 AM
Then Tom G could buy the Bills.

No ****ing thank you.

Michael82
05-07-2008, 08:34 AM
what a great article find!

submitted to digg
What is Digg? :scratch:

Michael82
05-07-2008, 08:35 AM
No ****ing thank you.
I agree, but he may be our only choice and the rumor is that he won't have Larry Quinn be his guy, it will be someone like Jim Kelly. :up:

Myers57
05-07-2008, 03:49 PM
digg.com, check it out, user submitted stories get "digged" if people find them interesting...

top stories that have the most diggs make it up to the front page etc....