PDA

View Full Version : Amerks' sale approved today

Dr. Lecter
05-06-2008, 03:04 PM
The American Hockey League today granted approval of the majority sale of the Rochester Americans to Canadian entrepreneur Curt Styres.

Styres, 48 and from Ohsweken, Ontario, will buy 60 percent of the Amerks and Rochester Knighthawks of the National Lacrosse League. The NLL hasn’t met to vote.

Amerks president Steve Donner will maintain his 40 percent ownership share.

“I will do what I can to make sure the franchise is a success — at the box office and in the standings,” Styres said.

Styres went before the AHL’s board of governors this morning in Chicago at the annual spring meeting. Armed with the results of research by the league’s legal department, they questioned Styres, then had him leave the room.

The 28 voting members unanimously approved the sale.

No price was revealed, but it likely was in excess of $6.5 million to $7 million for both franchises.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080506/SPORTS02/80506041&referrer=FRONTPAGECAROUSEL

Michael82
05-06-2008, 03:18 PM
As an Amerks fan, I am glad that we are getting some fresh blood to run this team, but with Donner's name still on everything and him holding 40% of the share, that ruins it. I still see him getting forced out somehow. Maybe it will be the $10 million lawsuit from the banks for the Paetec Park loan....:idunno:

SabreEleven
05-06-2008, 03:56 PM
The dude's next phone call better be to invite Tommy G. out to lunch....

Michael82
05-07-2008, 12:50 AM
The dude's next phone call better be to invite Tommy G. out to lunch....
I agree. But it's too late for now. My guess is, the relationship between Buffalo and Rochester will be over soon. But in 3-5 years, they find a way to suck it up and come back together after they both lose money from losing the other one.