Forked Thread: Expectations for Hardy....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oaf
    Do you read what you write?
    • Jun 2007

Forked Thread: Expectations for Hardy....

Forked from: Expectations for Hardy....

Originally posted by OpIv37
    Check out this article that was linked on the BZ homepage:

Hardy's rookie task a tall order: score often (Photo Source) Score. The Buffalo Bills could not do enough it of last year, but as a junior wide receiver at Indiana University, James Hardy did...

I didn't see a thread about it, so if this is a duplicate, I apologize.

Long story short: he broke down the production of the top few receivers in each of the last 5 draft classes. There were a few exceptions like Fitzgerald, but for the most part, receivers in their first year were not very successful. The author seems to think the Bills can get 4-6 TD's out of him.

This goes along with what I've been saying about our chances for this season. We simply didn't do enough with the offense. I like the Hardy pick, but the most likely outcome is that he'll produce 3-6 TD's in his first year because that's typical of receivers in their first season. The FO put him in the unfortunate position of being the only major addition to the 30th ranked offense.

I know some people have high hopes about Edwards and Lynch because it's their sophomore season and somehow it's become the conventional wisdom around here that players improve the most between Year 1 and Year 2. But that's not really the case. To take some recent examples, Lee Evans, John McCargo and Terrance McGee definitely improved in their second year. Keith Ellison, Kyle Williams, Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson definitely did not (although Ko gets a pass due to injury). In reality, some players develop in their second year and some players hit a sophomore slump. We won't know which one it will be for Lynch and Edwards until they hit the field.

On paper, the D is a lot better, so it's a shame that we're relying on improvement from 2nd year players (which worked so well last year ) and a rookie WR to fix the O. I expect a lot of low scoring games with more 7 minute 4th quarter drives by our opponents, just like last year.

While I agree OP that one 2nd rounder in Hardy and two backup TEs (backups from OAKLAND.) will improve the 2nd worst offense far past 25, lets look at it this way.

Lets nix ALL percieved improvement from Lynch, Edwards, McCargo, Whitner, and other 1st, 2nd, 3rd year players. As you said anyways, that sophmore season can just as easily be worse than better (I personally predict a better year for TE and slightly worse for Lynch). So we finished at 7-9. Yes, four was vs Fins and Jets, but we still play em 4 times this year too. Now did we lose any talents? No. So if ceteris peribus holds, we finish 7-9 again and that's assuming we sustain all those injuries again.

Now add in additions Viti at FB, Hardy at #2 WR, Fine at #2 TE, Kawiki at WLB, Ellis as rotational DE, Johnson at worst a Larry Tripplett, former PBer Marcus Stroud at DT, McKelvin at CB. Then add Poz at MLB and Ko at FS. Then add in Colorado's addition of Fairchild. So even if degression cancels out our young players' progression, those additions should be enough to give us 2 or 3 additional wins. Therefore, even if our offense is still below average, and I think we will be, we still stand in good position for a playoff berth.

• ddaryl
    Everything I post is sexual inuendo
    • Jan 2005

Re: Forked Thread: Expectations for Hardy....

As far as I'm concerned, regardless of anyones percieved reality, I'm going thru the offseason... training camp, and the beginning of preseason with rose colored glasses on.

When the regular season starts (probably more towards game 3 of preseason)... then and only then will I make real judgements on where we are heading.

In the meantime.. I'm a happy camper, and the Bills have done a great job this offseason... so yay team!

Comment

• HHURRICANE
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Oaf

Now add in additions Viti at FB, High expectations??
      Hardy at #2 WR, Better than Price for sure.
      Fine at #2 TE, Gaines might be alot better!
      Kawiki at WLB, Doesn't have the same cast. Tripplett II?
      Ellis as rotational DE, Rookie.
      Johnson at worst a Larry Tripplett, Hmmm.
      former PBer Marcus Stroud at DT Coming off Injury. Might not be same.
      McKelvin at CB. Rookie.
      Then add Poz at MLB Okay.
      Ko at FS. Okay.
      Then add in Colorado's addition of Fairchild. First year coordinator?
      Sorry but the only real improvements I see are Hardy, Poz, Ko and maybe Stroud, if healthy.

This looks like 9-7 to me.

Comment

• OpIv37
        Acid Douching Asswipe
        • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Oaf

While I agree OP that one 2nd rounder in Hardy and two backup TEs (backups from OAKLAND.) will improve the 2nd worst offense far past 25, lets look at it this way.

Lets nix ALL percieved improvement from Lynch, Edwards, McCargo, Whitner, and other 1st, 2nd, 3rd year players. As you said anyways, that sophmore season can just as easily be worse than better (I personally predict a better year for TE and slightly worse for Lynch). So we finished at 7-9. Yes, four was vs Fins and Jets, but we still play em 4 times this year too. Now did we lose any talents? No. So if ceteris peribus holds, we finish 7-9 again and that's assuming we sustain all those injuries again.

Now add in additions Viti at FB, Hardy at #2 WR, Fine at #2 TE, Kawiki at WLB, Ellis as rotational DE, Johnson at worst a Larry Tripplett, former PBer Marcus Stroud at DT, McKelvin at CB. Then add Poz at MLB and Ko at FS. Then add in Colorado's addition of Fairchild. So even if degression cancels out our young players' progression, those additions should be enough to give us 2 or 3 additional wins. Therefore, even if our offense is still below average, and I think we will be, we still stand in good position for a playoff berth.

The reasons I disagree:
        1. I think the Jets are improved and we can't count on 2 wins against them.
        2. Although the Fins are still weak, I don't think we can count the Toronto game as a win because this team still hasn't proven they can win under pressure.
        3. I don't think Fine and Viti will contribute as much as you think
        4. I think some of the defenses gains will be offset by the offenses' ineptitude- they'll be tired and less effective late in games due to being on the field too long.

Still, I have to give you credit for coming up with solid arguments for your opinions and putting some thought behind your post. Nice job.
        MiKiDo Facebook
        MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Confused
          All-Pro Zoner
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by ddaryl
          As far as I'm concerned, regardless of anyones percieved reality, I'm going thru the offseason... training camp, and the beginning of preseason with rose colored glasses on.

When the regular season starts (probably more towards game 3 of preseason)... then and only then will I make real judgements on where we are heading.

In the meantime.. I'm a happy camper, and the Bills have done a great job this offseason... so yay team!
          I'm with this dude.

Comment

• Oaf
            Do you read what you write?
            • Jun 2007

Also agreed there. The one issue I have with this line of reasoning is that all other teams are also making additions theoretically also improving themselves from last year. So if we all improve a bit, the result is close to the same. My hope is we've improved more than the average team on defense.

On Viti, I'm just glad for the return of a situational FB and think it will have somewhat of a positive effect on the O whoever may start. On Fine, I think the #2 TE spot is the cieling for him. I see him catching 12-18 balls this year. Count that for what you want. On Fins and Jets, I do believe they are better and that the Fins will outdo the Jets and will steal one from us this year. However, I believe we still sweep the Jets (We owned them twice in the 10-6 year too) and close the gap with the Pats maybe even edging out one surprise win.

So if we go 4-2 in the div (or even 3-3) and finish .600 with the remaining 10 games, we are gold.

Originally posted by OpIv37
            The reasons I disagree:
            1. I think the Jets are improved and we can't count on 2 wins against them.
            2. Although the Fins are still weak, I don't think we can count the Toronto game as a win because this team still hasn't proven they can win under pressure.
            3. I don't think Fine and Viti will contribute as much as you think
            4. I think some of the defenses gains will be offset by the offenses' ineptitude- they'll be tired and less effective late in games due to being on the field too long.

Still, I have to give you credit for coming up with solid arguments for your opinions and putting some thought behind your post. Nice job.

Comment

• DrGraves
              • Mar 2008

How in the world does an inexperienced underachiever Fine help us in any way shape or form? Viti doesn't really help (if he makes the roster) since we don't line up a fullback anyways, and who really knows if Ellis or Spencer Johnson will contribute... I don't think there is any reason why we can't improve on last year, but I think these reasons for improving are huge question marks.

Comment

• jamze132
                Don’t hate…
                • Jun 2003

Originally posted by DrGraves
                How in the world does an inexperienced underachiever Fine help us in any way shape or form? Viti doesn't really help (if he makes the roster) since we don't line up a fullback anyways, and who really knows if Ellis or Spencer Johnson will contribute... I don't think there is any reason why we can't improve on last year, but I think these reasons for improving are huge question marks.
                Schonert says we are going to line up a FB...

Comment

Working...
                X