PDA

View Full Version : Is This Team Better Than the 13-3 Chicago Team Under Jauron?

raphael120
05-07-2008, 10:19 AM
I'm interested to see what people think about the talent on that 13-3 Bears team under Jauron and the potential playoff Bills team this upcoming season. I'm not too too familiar with the team he had with the Bears, but does the talent level compare? Is it better/worse/same? I know that they won based on keeping games close and manageable and also winning with a killer defense...but I think our offense may have better weapons than that Bears team did.

Thoughts?

DraftBoy
05-07-2008, 10:22 AM
No

DrGraves
05-07-2008, 10:25 AM
considerably worse competition in the nfc..

THATHURMANATOR
05-07-2008, 10:26 AM
I don't know. I cant remember who all was even on Chicago.

I do remember they overachieved.

DraftBoy
05-07-2008, 10:41 AM

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/chi/2001_roster.htm

FlyingDutchman
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM

definately overachieved, if I remember correctly, didnt they win like 2 games on hail marys?

patmoran2006
05-07-2008, 10:49 AM
The bigger issue is this AFC East worse than the NFC North from that year?

Nope

THATHURMANATOR
05-07-2008, 10:51 AM
You don't think our current roster has as much talent as this?

FlyingDutchman
05-07-2008, 10:56 AM
The bigger issue is this AFC East worse than the NFC North from that year?

Nope

Sure we got the Pats, but with the Phins and Jets last year, id say its a push.

raphael120
05-07-2008, 11:01 AM
Ok let's keep it simpler...in a vacuum...is our TALENT on this roster match up with the TALENT on that Bears team? Or do you think it's too hard to gauge the talent on the bears roster because of the weak talent level. Did they have impactful playmakers like a Stroud, Lynch, Evans, McKelvin, Whitner? Did they have the Oline we have (pretty good pass protection), etc...or was it a bunch of bums that only played well that one year under special circumstances. in other words, we have a handful of PROVEN players on our team..Evans, Peters, Stroud, Schobel, McGee, Lynch...did they? I know A-Train was on that team but he only had that one rookie season and that was it.

Mahdi
05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
How can you possibly figure that roster to be better than our current Bills roster...?? Very interested in your explanation.

Pinkerton Security
05-07-2008, 11:42 AM
they had the a-train as a rook and he lit it up!!

THATHURMANATOR
05-07-2008, 11:45 AM
How can you possibly figure that roster to be better than our current Bills roster...?? Very interested in your explanation.
Agreed and that doesn't mean we would go 13-3 or 10-6 for that matter. That Bears team was very lucky from what I remember.

gr8slayer
05-07-2008, 11:50 AM
QB - =
RB - =
WR - Buffalo
FB - Chicago
TE - Chicago
LT - Buffalo
LG - Buffalo
C - Chicago
RG - Chicago
RT - Buffalo

DT1 - Chicago
DT2 - Chicago
DE's - Buffalo
LB's - Chicago
CB's - Chicago
SS - Chicago
FS - Chicago

trapezeus
05-07-2008, 12:06 PM
i think our offense has potential to be a whole lot better than theirs. But their defense was amazing. Was that the year that Mike Brown kept returning interceptions for game changing TD's?

Their interior DL is better than ours, though we hope stroud can make it better. Their linebackers are better, but we think we have a nice matchup withour 3 starters, and their Secondary played very well. I think our secondary is going to take a couple games to "get it". But i think whitner is set up to actually focus on coverage and could be an interception machine if the rest of the defense works properly.

gr8slayer
05-07-2008, 12:07 PM
i think our offense has potential to be a whole lot better than theirs. But their defense was amazing. Was that the year that Mike Brown kept returning interceptions for game changing TD's?

Their interior DL is better than ours, though we hope stroud can make it better. Their linebackers are better, but we think we have a nice matchup withour 3 starters, and their Secondary played very well. I think our secondary is going to take a couple games to "get it". But i think whitner is set up to actually focus on coverage and could be an interception machine if the rest of the defense works properly.
Yes....

DraftBoy
05-07-2008, 12:23 PM

QB: Jim Miller v. Trent Edwards...Miller has the better stats in his career but is erratic, Edwards has proven nothing, neither has a clear edge, so call it a push.

RB: A-Train v. Lynch...Bills

WR: Booker, White, Terrell v. Evans, Reed, Hardy...Bills get the edge because Reed is better than White.

TE: Baxter v. Royal...push both suck

OT: Brockermeyer, Williams v. Peters, Walker...Bills

OG: Tucker, Villarrial v. Dockery, Butler..Push Bills have the better LG in Dockery but at RG Villa at this point in his career was better than Butler

OC: Kreutz v. Fowler...Bears

DE: Daniels, Robinson v. Kelsay, Schoebel...Bears, that year Daniels and Robinson were beasts not just against the pass but also v. the run.

DT: Washington, Traylor v. Stroud, McCargo...Bears

OLB: Colvin, Holdman v. Crowell, Mitchell...Bills

ILB: Urlacher v. Poz...Bears

CB: McQuarters, Harris v. McGee, Greer....Bears just barely

FS: Parrish v. Simpson...Bears

SS: Brown v. Whitner...Bears

4-7 with 3 pushes

Mahdi
05-07-2008, 12:28 PM
QB - =
RB - =
WR - Buffalo
FB - Chicago
TE - Chicago
LT - Buffalo
LG - Buffalo
C - Chicago
RG - Chicago
RT - Buffalo

DT1 - Chicago
DT2 - Chicago
DE's - Buffalo
LB's - Chicago
CB's - Chicago
SS - Chicago
FS - Chicago
Dont agree.

QB - =
RB - Buffalo - Anthony Thomas better than Lynch? Lynch is stronger, more powerful, faster and more elusive. Its not even a debate.
WR - Buffalo
FB - Chicago
TE - Buffalo - I'll take the combination of Anderson, Teyo, Royal and Fine over Baxter... 22 catches is not tough to beat. Royal had 25 last year and split time with Gaines
LT - Buffalo
LG - Buffalo
C - Chicago
RG - Chicago
RT - Buffalo

DT1 - Buffalo - I take Stroud over Washington because he is a dual threat. Rush passer and stuff the run.
DT2 - = McCargo showed enough last year with limited reps to convince me he is at least as good as Traylor if not better since he gets into the backfield faster.
DE's - Buffalo
LB's - Chicago
CB's - Buffalo- Buffalo has way more talent at CB than Chicago had. McGee, McKelvin and Greer ( James & Corner) are a much more talented group.
SS - Chicago
FS - Chicago

gr8slayer
05-07-2008, 12:32 PM
Dont agree.

QB - =
RB - Buffalo - Anthony Thomas better than Lynch? Lynch is stronger, more powerful, faster and more elusive. Its not even a debate.
Did you watch Thomas play in 2001? He was a beast.
WR - Buffalo
FB - Chicago
TE - Buffalo - I'll take the combination of Anderson, Teyo, Royal and Fine over Baxter... 22 catches is not tough to beat. Royal had 25 last year and split time with Gaines
LT - Buffalo
LG - Buffalo
C - Chicago
RG - Chicago
RT - Buffalo

DT1 - Buffalo - I take Stroud over Washington because he is a dual threat. Rush passer and stuff the run.
Stroud is also coming off of an injury that some considered career threatening.
DT2 - = McCargo showed enough last year with limited reps to convince me he is at least as good as Traylor if not better since he gets into the backfield faster.
You're being a homer here.
DE's - Buffalo
LB's - Chicago
CB's - Buffalo- Buffalo has way more talent at CB than Chicago had. McGee, McKelvin and Greer ( James & Corner) are a much more talented group
Homer call again. McKelvin is a freaking rookie and has never taken a snap in the NFL. McGee is a #2 at best on most teams in the league.
SS - Chicago
FS - Chicago

trapezeus
05-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Yes....

That defense was good that year, but they had the game changing plays that kind of overstate the team's actual talent level. The 06 bears defense was lights out amazing. That 01 bears team was good, but they got the breaks.

The only problem with the comparison is that we actually saw what the 01 bears did. We haven't anything to go on for the 08 Bills. Obviously we hope all 22 players play up to at least 85% of their potential. And if they get the same breaks the 01 bears got, then sure this team can be as good as the 01 bears.

madness
05-07-2008, 12:59 PM
QB - Bills
RB/FB - Bears but only because of FB
O-Line - Bears
WR - Bills
TE - Bills
D-Line - Bears
LB - = Assuming Poz continues or excels from where he left off
Secondary - Bears
ST - Bills

Mahdi
05-07-2008, 01:22 PM
Did you see Lynch play in 2007? He was a beast with way more talent. Plus he missed 3 games which would have put him at least at 1400 yards.

jamze132
05-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I'm interested to see what people think about the talent on that 13-3 Bears team under Jauron and the potential playoff Bills team this upcoming season. I'm not too too familiar with the team he had with the Bears, but does the talent level compare? Is it better/worse/same? I know that they won based on keeping games close and manageable and also winning with a killer defense...but I think our offense may have better weapons than that Bears team did.

Thoughts?
Why don't we play some games before we start comparing ourselves to a 13-3 playoff team? Just wondering...

Mahdi
05-07-2008, 01:24 PM
QB - Bills
O-Line - Bears
WR - Bills
TE - Bills
D-Line - Bears
Secondary - Bears
ST - Bills
How does that Bears OL beat the Bills OL? Theres no question we are better on the left side, also better at RT. I would say Butler is pretty close to Villarial. The only position they beat us at it C.

Mahdi
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Why don't we play some games before we start comparing ourselves to a 13-3 playoff team? Just wondering...
OK so we should all shut down are PCs till week 1 then? Its the offseason what else is there to discuss?

justasportsfan
05-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Shoop was better than Fairchild. That isn't saying much.

FYI Shoop was the bears qb coach before being elevated to OC. Can you say Turk? :nervous:

jamze132
05-07-2008, 01:58 PM
OK so we should all shut down are PCs till week 1 then? Its the offseason what else is there to discuss?
Dude, we can discuss whatever as I just stated my opinion about this topic. So what the **** are you talking about?

You are one of the typical posters who if you don't agree with someone's opinion, you get bent out of shape, eh?

madness
05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
How does that Bears OL beat the Bills OL? Theres no question we are better on the left side, also better at RT. I would say Butler is pretty close to Villarial. The only position they beat us at it C.

It's close but Bears win out by a hair. In his prime Villarial was still a little better then Butler is currently and their RT was a probowler that year. I considered it almost even with a slight Bills edge at that point until I factored in C. :(

John Doe
05-07-2008, 03:22 PM
QB - Bills
O-Line - Bears
WR - Bills
TE - Bills
D-Line - Bears
Secondary - Bears
ST - Bills

Finally someone mentions the special teams.

Mahdi
05-08-2008, 07:31 AM
Dude, we can discuss whatever as I just stated my opinion about this topic. So what the **** are you talking about?

You are one of the typical posters who if you don't agree with someone's opinion, you get bent out of shape, eh?
When have I ever gotten bent out of shape? You have any examples..? I have good debates with some posters here but I never get mad or anything like that...ask DB or OP I argue with them plenty but in a civil manner... I think yer the one getting a little bent out of shape... All I did was reply to your post.. did you see me use any profanity or harsh words... No I dont think so.

eyedog
05-08-2008, 07:54 AM
That bears team was very lucky and open a****. They were winning games by picking up fumbles/interceptions and returning them for td's all year.
If I remember correctly they lost at home in the play-offs in the 1st rd. I believe. Luck ran out.

buffalony85
05-08-2008, 01:35 PM
Ted Washington, Keith Traylor, Brian Urlacher, Roosevelt Colvin, Tony Parrish, and Mike Brown, thats how they won 13 games.

Stewie
05-08-2008, 01:57 PM
that Bears team won at least 3 games with late picks by Mike Brown. Any 8-8 team can suddenly pull off 12 or 13 wins when the other quarterback keeps throwing to your safety in the 4th quarter.

I think this bills team is more athletic than that bears team was. Especially on offense.