PDA

View Full Version : Walsh tapes turned over to NFL

PromoTheRobot
05-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Beli-cheat taping signals since 2000 (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/08/sports/football/08nfl.html?hp)

Walsh’s tapes show that the Patriots recorded the signals of offensive and defensive coaches in regular-season games against the Miami Dolphins, the Buffalo Bills, the Cleveland Browns and the San Diego Chargers and against the Pittsburgh Steelers in the 2002 American Football Conference championship game. In that game, the tape has been edited to show Steelers coaches signaling plays, followed by two different camera angles of the actual plays that were called.

Based on a win-loss tally from games after the ones on tapes provided by Walsh, the Patriots went 9-6 against the Dolphins after the first taping. They also went 12-1 against the Bills, 3-0 against the Browns, 4-1 against the Steelers and 3-1 against the Chargers. This included three victories and no defeats in the playoffs.

Can you remember how the Pats seemed to almost know what plays the Bills ran before they ran them? Turns out they did. Curiously, the infamous Rams walk-thru was not one o the tapes turned over. I guess part of the deal between Walsh and the NFL was he had to eat that tape.

PTR

YardRat
05-07-2008, 09:23 PM
Obviously the league wants no part of being put into a position of even considering yanking any championships.

I hope the entire franchise goes up in flames, and if there is any justice in this world they will.

FlyingDutchman
05-07-2008, 09:40 PM
They must have started to tape us after we gave them that ass pounding. This is worse that the Barry Bonds saga. They're antics cheated players out of big games and opportunities. If I were on the Rams team that lost, and missed a chance at a SB ring, I would be raising hell. God knows what other ripple effects this cheating had over the years.

FlyingDutchman
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Even though Walsh didnt have the Rams walk-through, id bet anything one existed. Its probably smashed, burned, and buried in Bilicheats backyard

SABuffalo786
05-07-2008, 09:52 PM
Good.

If nothing else all their accomplishments will be tainted by the cheating allegations so they'll never be mentioned in quite the same tone as the great Pittsburgh, Dallas, San Fransisco dynasties.

Romes
05-07-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't understand why they would bother taping the Bills signals...everyone new the play call would be run, run, pass, punt.

tat2dmike77
05-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Go figure

Johnny Bugmenot
05-07-2008, 10:06 PM
I hope Matt made copies...

Oaf
05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Indeed.

The all-powerful astrisk.

FlyingDutchman
05-07-2008, 10:11 PM

THE END OF ALL DAYS
05-07-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't understand why they would bother taping the Bills signals...everyone new the play call would be run, run, pass, punt.

actually it would be: run, run, pa....ohhh incomplete, punt

Mike13
05-07-2008, 10:19 PM
This is the second ****ng time a Miami team has been screwed over because of bull**** like this in the past year, first it was the ****ing NBA ref betting scandal and now this ****.

But thats not what really pisses me off its that they will not be punished for this:

that game, the tape has been edited to show Steelers coaches signaling plays, followed by two different camera angles of the actual plays that were called.

**** Goodell and **** the Cheatriots, I hope they all die.

OpIv37
05-07-2008, 10:22 PM
Dolphins, Browns, Bills, Steelers, Chargers.

The Steelers and Chargers make sense (if you have no morals), but did they really need to cheat to beat the Dolphins, Bills and Browns? The rest of the league had no problems beating them fair and square.

imbondz
05-07-2008, 10:34 PM
yeah, it makes total sense to want to beat the teams in your division twice, and the teams you meet in the playoffs

Philagape
05-07-2008, 11:16 PM
So THAT's how they beat us .......

BADTHINGSMAN
05-07-2008, 11:23 PM

The Steelers and Chargers make sense (if you have no morals), but did they really need to cheat to beat the Dolphins, Bills and Browns? The rest of the league had no problems beating them fair and square.

Dolphins played the Pats tough a few times and Buffalo I believe was the last team to shut the Patriots out.. Taping the Bills/Dolphins gave them 4 wins a year..

Turf
05-07-2008, 11:49 PM
I can't help but wonder why no one else was doing the same thing. Were we too honest or not smart enough. Was everyone else in the league that naive? Did this guy turning over the tapes have no friends? Was there no rumor of this among colleagues? Coaches? The NFL?
This whole thing reeks of media bull**** to me. Sorry.

Ingtar33
05-08-2008, 01:39 AM
i would be stunned if the team i worked for did anything of the sort. we played straight.

I never heard of crap like this being this extensive... oh there were rumors... of teams doing stuff like this. typically they would pop up around big games, or playoff games.

But generally, they tended to be sore losers, complaining about getting pounded. only a few times did i believe it.

Gruden long was rumored, to do stuff like this, mostly when he was with the Raiders... but i never heard any rumors of a team making a video library of the league coaches, in some form of systemic cheating like I'm hearing the pats did. This is insane.

Unreal.

jamze132
05-08-2008, 04:21 AM

The Pats didn't want the "trap game" (Bills/Dolphins) to get in the way with their glory.

jamze132
05-08-2008, 04:22 AM
Well the NFL should punish the Pats by forcing them to trade Brady for Losman, straight up...

Dujek
05-08-2008, 05:21 AM
I'm shocked and stunned that there aren't more tapes. The Patriots will walk away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, when in reality Belicheat should be suspended for a year and all their draft picks from this year should be shared out amongst the teams they taped, with the order of selection decided by a lottery.

Of course all that will happen is that they will be told that they are very naughty boys.

Mitchy moo
05-08-2008, 05:36 AM
:censored:

John Doe
05-08-2008, 05:38 AM
It looks like nothing is going to come of this:

“This is consistent with what the Patriots had admitted they had been doing, consistent with what we already knew,” NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told The Associated Press.

“Mr. Walsh has never claimed to have a tape of the walkthrough,” Levy told The New York Times. “Mr. Walsh has never been the source of any of the media speculation about such a tape. Mr. Walsh was not the source for the Feb. 2 Boston Herald article.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AtKdgBP2Nl5Ra8zBQ1bn2PJDubYF?slug=ap-patriots-walshtapes&prov=ap&type=lgns

Mitchy moo
05-08-2008, 06:05 AM
The Bills better get a new set of calls, just in case.

Confused
05-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Are they gonna do something about this?

Jeff1220
05-08-2008, 06:37 AM
They should be :banned:

don137
05-08-2008, 07:12 AM
There is no doubt the Patriots cheated their way to a championship or two. I don't think it was a coincidence that the Steelers pummeled the Patriots in the regular season racking up a ton of points and then when the two teams met in the AFC Conference Championship in Pittsburgh the Steelers offense could not do anything. Coincidence? I think not. I remember thinking back then how could the Patriots always be in the right place at the right time during that game. Now we know....

Mahdi
05-08-2008, 07:26 AM
This explains how the Bills have not been able to beat the Pats since they destroyed them 35-0. From that day Bellichick vowed that he would never lose to the Bills again. It was probably even more embarassing to him that Bledsoe was behind centre for us. Pretty strange that we got destroyed by the exact same score in the last game of the season by the Pats.

mybills
05-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Dolphins played the Pats tough a few times and Buffalo I believe was the last team to shut the Patriots out.. Taping the Bills/Dolphins gave them 4 wins a year..
Nope, it was Miami. 21-0.
and Mahdi, we beat them 31-0. I wear that shirt often to remind the fans around here. :D

madness
05-08-2008, 07:40 AM
This explains how the Bills have not been able to beat the Pats since they destroyed them 35-0. From that day Bellichick vowed that he would never lose to the Bills again. It was probably even more embarassing to him that Bledsoe was behind centre for us. Pretty strange that we got destroyed by the exact same score in the last game of the season by the Pats.

Bellicheat. What ****ing joke... and a disgrace to the game.

ddaryl
05-08-2008, 08:56 AM
Can you remember how the Pats seemed to almost know what plays the Bills ran before they ran them? Turns out they did. Curiously, the infamous Rams walk-thru was not one o the tapes turned over. I guess part of the deal between Walsh and the NFL was he had to eat that tape.

PTR

and everyone thought they were geniusses.. Letting probowl players leave via FA and inserting unknowns.

Now we know how they accomplished this.

The Patriots are officially the lowest of the low.

Dozerdog
05-08-2008, 09:05 AM
They taped us in 2001?

Why? We won what, 2 games?

"OK.... the coach is signalling in a Blitz...no wait... a 2 gap stunt...no...no...oh..never mind. He just picked his nose "

http://gottabuzz.typepad.com/coffee/images/2007/10/02/bowdenpick.jpg

mybills
05-08-2008, 09:12 AM
:chuckle:

njsue
05-08-2008, 09:18 AM
What comes around goes around. They are screwed. Now they have to face the consquences. When you play with fire you will eventually get burned.

What they did has become one of many issues that have put an ugly face on the NFL.

Time to clean up the garbage in the league. Can't do this unless the top NFL brass put's their foot down.

Enough is enough.

njsue
05-08-2008, 09:21 AM
I'm shocked and stunned that there aren't more tapes. The Patriots will walk away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist, when in reality Belicheat should be suspended for a year and all their draft picks from this year should be shared out amongst the teams they taped, with the order of selection decided by a lottery.

Of course all that will happen is that they will be told that they are very naughty boys.

Thanks to the NY Giants making the Pat's look like a joke in the Super Bowl.

ddaryl
05-08-2008, 09:37 AM

There were more tapes but the NFL destroyed the evidence... Which IMO is just as bad.

The NFL is trying to sweep this under the rug... but thanks to Spector and fans and Walsh it's not be left to die.

Everywhere the Cheating **********s go they'll be adequately greeted as cheating **********s.

and any one of thier fans who ever show up here and try to spin this as a non issues will instantly be clearly marked as fans of **********s

raphael120
05-08-2008, 10:04 AM
I specifically remember being at a bar with all my Steelers buddies when they were playing the Pats in the playoff game where they got totally trounced. The Steelers explosive offense was held to nothing and Ben was getting picked off left and right. Everyone SPECIFICALLY said ( and I remember saying it myself when it happened) we all agreed it felt like "It's crazy, it seems like the Pats know exactly what the hell the Steelers want to do"...now it makes total sence. That game wasn't even close, the Steelers D got plowed through when it was dominant all season long, and it all came to a screaching halt in that playoff game.

The hilarious part is that the Pats felt like they needed a handicap to play against the Bills and Dolphins. Thats like me thinking I need to rob a bank to be richer than some homeless dude.

raphael120
05-08-2008, 10:05 AM
There were more tapes but the NFL destroyed the evidence... Which IMO is just as bad.

The NFL is trying to sweep this under the rug... but thanks to Spector and fans and Walsh it's not be left to die.

Everywhere the Cheating **********s go they'll be adequately greeted as cheating **********s.

and any one of thier fans who ever show up here and try to spin this as a non issues will instantly be clearly marked as fans of **********s

On and ESPN's coverage of it is laughable...they're treating it as a joke and nothing serious at all. Oh them rascally Pats are up to it again! Oh well! On to other news...

The Spaz
05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
WALSH'S TAPES OF AFC EAST TEAMS NO SURPRISE:

With the NFL confirming that the eight tapes turned over by former Patriots employee Matt Walsh consist of offensive and defensive signals from five other NFL teams in addition to the Jets Spygate tape, it wasn't surprising to see both the Dolphins and Bills on that list. Taping signals would serve the most benefit to the Patriots against division opponents because they will play them a second time, so videotaping the Bills' signals would serve them well the next time they faced them that season.

In all likelihood the Bills and division teams would change their signals between the first and second time they faced the Patriots, but with prior signals from the first meeting the Pats could compare signals in the second game as it's unfolding to those from the first game and see if anything was consistent. If anything was the same advantage Patriots.

How much of an advantage?

How about a New England offensive assistant is assigned to decipher the defensive signals of the Bills on the opposing sideline based off of what he saw from the tapes of the first game, which not only reveal signals, but what signals for what down and distance situations. If he sees the same signal in the same down and distance situation, he could tell the offensive coordinator, who could then radio to Tom Brady's helmet before the communication is cut off, 'Hey Tom keep an eye out for the corner blitz here coming from your left. You may want to use Troy Brown as your hot (receiver) on the other side.'

Obviously that will no longer be an issue with the new rule allowing a radio to be put in a defensive signal caller's helmet, but imagine the advantage over the years. Sure all teams change signals, but how many times over are you going to change them? You can't risk confusing your players with dozens of different signals every week. There was a clear advantage there. I just wonder how much of a great quarterback did that advantage make Tom Brady? He's a great quarterback don't get me wrong, but is he elite if the Patriots aren't cheating? I think it's a debatable subject.

If there proves to be more damaging evidence similar to that of the Jets Spygate tape, I think the commissioner has no choice but to kick Bill Belichick out of the league forever. He's tainted the integrity of the game, not to mention the so called dynasty of the Patriots.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

RockStar36
05-08-2008, 10:14 AM
I'll be interested to see the penalty. They obviously can't take anything away from the past but I wonder what they will do. Maybe they will do something salary cap related? Who knows.

El Guapo
05-08-2008, 10:19 AM
It would shock me if the NFL took more action on this. The implications, as everyone here is aware, are HUGE. The NFL does not want to have to put an asterik on the most popular sporting event in the world -- the Super Bowl. But, that is exactly what they would have to do to the Cheatriot's Super Bowl wins if they take this issue further. There's no way around it, if they come out and say it was more wide spread than thought and that the Cheatriots lied to the Goodell about it last year. Even though this new evidence supports both, the NFL does not want this negative publicity and will downplay everything Walsh brings forth.

All that being said, Goodell is also walking a fine line with Congress. He darn sure doesn't want Congressional hearings on this. And, yes, Congress does have oversight here because of the special treatment the NFL receives legally dealing with Anti-Trust legislation. Can you imagine Walsh telling all in front of a national TV audience? Every network would cover it, from the big four to ESPN to Fox News to CNN. Sen. Specter would get more media time than he could ask for, and Goodell would see his league tarnished in so many ways.

So, Goodell is in a tight spot. To save the integrity of the league, he needs this to go away quietly and swiftly. However, to keep Specter off his back, he needs to be forthcoming and hold the Cheatriots accountable. This will get interesting, but I really do not have any idea how it will play out.

PECKERWOOD
05-08-2008, 10:20 AM
They should lose a 1st round pick for every year they cheated, jmo. If you want to be corrupt and cheat, you should have to pay the price if you get busted.

Mr. Miyagi
05-08-2008, 10:23 AM
With the extensiveness of the taping and cheating, I'm extremely surprised that none of the ex-Patriot players has ever come forward to tell the story from the inside. Maybe a retired player with no more ties to the league and nothing to fear?

God I can't wait until someone else speaks out. It would lead to more coming forward.

PromoTheRobot
05-08-2008, 12:33 PM
With the extensiveness of the taping and cheating, I'm extremely surprised that none of the ex-Patriot players has ever come forward to tell the story from the inside. Maybe a retired player with no more ties to the league and nothing to fear?

God I can't wait until someone else speaks out. It would lead to more coming forward.
I don't think many players know for sure what Belichick does. All they know is they get the message from a coach to watch a player or throw the ball to that receiver, etc. They may suspect, but I bet no player knows for certain.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
05-08-2008, 12:34 PM
If Pete Rose gets banned for life for betting on baseball, how is what the Patriots did not ten times worse?

PTR

madness
05-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Walsh's tapes of AFC East teams no surprise

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:21 AM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3447)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>WALSH'S TAPES OF AFC EAST TEAMS NO SURPRISE: With the NFL confirming that the eight tapes turned over by former Patriots employee Matt Walsh consist of offensive and defensive signals from five other NFL teams in addition to the Jets Spygate tape, it wasn't surprising to see both the Dolphins and Bills on that list. Taping signals would serve the most benefit to the Patriots against division opponents because they will play them a second time, so videotaping the Bills' signals would serve them well the next time they faced them that season.
In all likelihood the Bills and division teams would change their signals between the first and second time they faced the Patriots, but with prior signals from the first meeting the Pats could compare signals in the second game as it's unfolding to those from the first game and see if anything was consistent. If anything was the same advantage Patriots.
How about a New England offensive assistant is assigned to decipher the defensive signals of the Bills on the opposing sideline based off of what he saw from the tapes of the first game, which not only reveal signals, but what signals for what down and distance situations. If he sees the same signal in the same down and distance situation, he could tell the offensive coordinator, who could then radio to Tom Brady's helmet before the communication is cut off, 'Hey Tom keep an eye out for the corner blitz here coming from your left. You may want to use Troy Brown as your hot (receiver) on the other side.'
Obviously that will no longer be an issue with the new rule allowing a radio to be put in a defensive signal caller's helmet, but imagine the advantage over the years. Sure all teams change signals, but how many times over are you going to change them? You can't risk confusing your players with dozens of different signals every week. There was a clear advantage there. I just wonder how much of a great quarterback did that advantage make Tom Brady? He's a great quarterback don't get me wrong, but is he elite if the Patriots aren't cheating? I think it's a debatable subject.
If there proves to be more damaging evidence similar to that of the Jets Spygate tape, I think the commissioner has no choice but to kick Bill Belichick out of the league forever. He's tainted the integrity of the game, not to mention the so called dynasty of the Patriots.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

madness
05-08-2008, 12:35 PM
This isn't good for Belichick, especially when they find out that he also killed his ex-wife in and hid her body in a compost heap.

Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater
Had a Wife But Couldn’t Keep Her
Put Her in a Pumpkin Shell
And there He Kept Her Very Well

Johnny Bugmenot
05-08-2008, 01:56 PM
Any punishment for this is going to most definitely have to come from above the league itself.

Revoke the antitrust exemption.

The Spaz
05-08-2008, 02:40 PM
Walsh's tapes of AFC East teams no surprise

<TABLE borderColor=#09347b cellPadding=10 width="95%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=mediumrow style="BORDER-RIGHT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #548bb5 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #548bb5 1px solid" colSpan=2><TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #002d78 1px solid" width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>Today

</TD><TD align=right>Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 9:21 AM ET | Link (http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?post_id=3447)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>WALSH'S TAPES OF AFC EAST TEAMS NO SURPRISE: With the NFL confirming that the eight tapes turned over by former Patriots employee Matt Walsh consist of offensive and defensive signals from five other NFL teams in addition to the Jets Spygate tape, it wasn't surprising to see both the Dolphins and Bills on that list. Taping signals would serve the most benefit to the Patriots against division opponents because they will play them a second time, so videotaping the Bills' signals would serve them well the next time they faced them that season.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I already posted this in here...lol. :up:

madness
05-08-2008, 03:14 PM
I already posted this in here...lol. :up:

My bad, I scrolled right over it because I was looking for the same format. :D

Bill Brasky
05-08-2008, 04:41 PM
too bad nothing will happen because of the love affair with this team and it's :limp: qb

SabreEleven
05-08-2008, 05:57 PM
This isn't good for Belichick, especially when they find out that he also killed his ex-wife in and hid her body in a compost heap.

Cheater Cheater Pumpkin Eater
Had a Wife But Couldn’t Keep Her
Put Her in a Pumpkin Shell
And there He Kept Her Very Well

:spit:

Typ0
05-09-2008, 04:37 AM
the Pats were told to turn over all the tapes and now more tapes have surfaced. There should be serious penalties to pay. The entire staff suspended from the league indefinately. The organization banned from the first day of the draft for a decade. Their QB not allowed to wear a helmut for five years. No cups for the lineman. And no Gatorade for the defensive backs.

mybills
05-09-2008, 06:25 AM
:rofl: Typ0! Other than Walsh being an EX patriot & these tapes were in his possession, not BB's, I like your idea of punishment! :up: :bf1:

Typ0
05-09-2008, 06:36 AM
:rofl: Typ0! Other than Walsh being an EX patriot & these tapes were in his possession, not BB's, I like your idea of punishment! :up: :bf1:

it doesn't matter whose possession they were in. The PATS were the ones that made the tapes therefore they knew of their existence. The directive from the league was to turn over ALL the tapes and did not specify "only turn over the ones you have in your file cabinet". The PATS were responsible to scour the earth and get all the tapes.

Mahdi
05-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Nope, it was Miami. 21-0.
and Mahdi, we beat them 31-0. I wear that shirt often to remind the fans around here. :D
O right,,, thanks!

Marvelous
05-10-2008, 05:42 PM
So we woulda beaten NE if they didn't tape our games? Maybe week 1 of two seasons ago, but every other game it wasnt even close...Bunch of babies the Rams & Eagles..

Bert102176
05-11-2008, 05:53 AM
what year was it we spanked them 31 nothing then lost to them by the same I bet they cheated then too Belicheck should lose his job over this and they should lose atleast another 1st round pic plus

HughC
05-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Any punishment for this is going to most definitely have to come from above the league itself.

Revoke the antitrust exemption.

And allow every team to make it's own television deal, with no more revenue sharing? No thanks.

Cntrygal
05-11-2008, 02:55 PM
what year was it we spanked them 31 nothing then lost to them by the same I bet they cheated then too Belicheck should lose his job over this and they should lose atleast another 1st round pic plus

HughC
05-11-2008, 02:58 PM
the Pats were told to turn over all the tapes and now more tapes have surfaced. There should be serious penalties to pay. The entire staff suspended from the league indefinately. The organization banned from the first day of the draft for a decade. Their QB not allowed to wear a helmut for five years. No cups for the lineman. And no Gatorade for the defensive backs.

I like your suggestions, especially the last two. Just not sure how we could blame the Pats for not turning in tapes that Walsh had hiding in his secret stash in Hawaii.

mikemac2001
05-11-2008, 04:06 PM
Ban Belicheat and punish the team with losing 1st 4 picks next year there championships and tom brady's legacy are tainted chris brown blogs explains that

Mr. Cynical
05-11-2008, 11:44 PM
1. Take the championships away or at least put an asterisk in the book.
2. Force them to play the NFL's hardest schedule for 5-6 years, the same time period they've been cheating.
3. Force Belicheat to resign.

That would just about do it for me.