X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pride
    • Jul 2002

IMO - This is how the patriots cheating likely affected the Bills

Ok... First off... I'm not one of those fans that say "If your team wouldn't have cheated, we would have beaten you!". Instead, I can fully grasp that regardless of them cheating, they have had a better football team than us for most of this decade.

That said... I also think that 1 small advantage can snowball to a larger advantage.

Let's assume that the Pats did, in fact, video tape our Offense and Defensive calls over the last 6+ years. It is very possible that simply knowing which play was coming was enough to beat us... but there could also be a deeper level.

What if... because the Patriots were able to beat us so handily for so long... coaches systematically changed our offensive and defensive system to be more creative, or complex? It seems likely that when you are constantly chasing one particular team in the standings.. your focus switches to beating them, than beating everyone else and hoping to beat them.

Is it possible that personnel decisions were made solely based on the fact that we couldn't beat the patriots? Could season-long game plans change in the hopes of beating one team?

Just taking a look at what else may have been affected by the Patriots cheating.
  • mybills
    81 st zoner
    • Jul 2002

Re: IMO - This is how the patriots cheating likely affected the Bills

wait, so by them not changing it, gave the Pats less plays to steal, thus purposely not helping them, which purposely didn't help us?
    I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• Pride
      • Jul 2002

Sorry, I re-read it and modified it a bit to make it more understandable. I think I had a double negative in there..

Comment

• mybills
        81 st zoner
        • Jul 2002

I guess it's possible. I keep going back to how players shouldn't be traded within the division, and how the Bills eagerly took Bledsoe PLUS their corner in the hopes of maybe figuring out both sides of their team. We could've drafted a QB as there were quite a few to choose from in the 1st round.
        I didn't come here to fight, I hate fighting. Life is way too short to spend it on fighting! Go fight with yourself, one of you will eventually win!

Comment

• yordad
          • Dec 2007

Snow ball? Good therory. And, a good way to explain it. But, I think it snow balled even more. They won with their cheating. Any edge is big. Then players knew they wouldn't be as good in other systems, so they took paycuts. Then players seen how successful the Pats were, so they took paycut to join them. Then players lobbied for trades to the Pats. Before you know it, some minor cheating snowballed them into the most talented team ever.
          "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• EDS
            • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Pride
            Ok... First off... I'm not one of those fans that say "If your team wouldn't have cheated, we would have beaten you!". Instead, I can fully grasp that regardless of them cheating, they have had a better football team than us for most of this decade.

That said... I also think that 1 small advantage can snowball to a larger advantage.

Let's assume that the Pats did, in fact, video tape our Offense and Defensive calls over the last 6+ years. It is very possible that simply knowing which play was coming was enough to beat us... but there could also be a deeper level.

What if... because the Patriots were able to beat us so handily for so long... coaches systematically changed our offensive and defensive system to be more creative, or complex? It seems likely that when you are constantly chasing one particular team in the standings.. your focus switches to beating them, than beating everyone else and hoping to beat them.

Is it possible that personnel decisions were made solely based on the fact that we couldn't beat the patriots? Could season-long game plans change in the hopes of beating one team?

Just taking a look at what else may have been affected by the Patriots cheating.
            The Bills have changed coaches so many times over the past few years that I don't think there is a big systematic impact.

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by EDS
              The Bills have changed coaches so many times over the past few years that I don't think there is a big systematic impact.
              You know, there are thousands who would agree. Millions. They all live in New England.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• don137
                • Jul 2002

I do not think the Patriot cheating affected the outcome of any of the Bills games but I think it affected other games like the AFC Championship game against Pittsburgh.

Comment

• Michael82
                  • Jul 2002

It affected us because they used all their cheating tapes from the 1st game each season to come up the perfect gameplan to crush us in the next game. Hell, look at each time they play us. Usually we keep it close in the 1st one, then they just kill us in the 2nd game.

Comment

• mchurchfie
                    • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Mikey82
                    It affected us because they used all their cheating tapes from the 1st game each season to come up the perfect gameplan to crush us in the next game. Hell, look at each time they play us. Usually we keep it close in the 1st one, then they just kill us in the 2nd game.
                    Great point. I hate those cheating ****ers even more so than ever now.
                    My Band
                    daveviterna.com

Comment

• Michael82
                      • Jul 2002

Here's our history against the Patriots since 2000. Notice how for the most part, the 2nd game is more lopsided.

11/5 - Bills WIN 16-13
                      12/17 - Bills LOSE 10-13 in OT

11/11 - Bills LOSE 11-21
                      12/16 - Bills LOSE 9-12 in OT

11/3 - Bills LOSE 7-38
                      12/8 - Bills LOSE 17-27

9/7 - Bills WIN 31-0
                      12/27 - Bills LOSE 0-31

10/3 - Bills LOSE 17-31
                      11/14 - Bills LOSE 6-29

10/30 - Bills LOSE 16-21
                      12/11 - Bills LOSE 7-35

9/10 - Bills LOSE 17-19
                      10/22 - Bills LOSE 6-28

9/23 - Bills LOSE 7-38
                      11/18 - Bills LOSE 10-56

Comment

• Michael82
                        • Jul 2002

oh and to make you guys feel even better, here's a good one....

11/28 - Bills WIN 17-7
                        12/26 - Bills WIN 13-10 in OT

Comment

• jamze132
                          Don’t hate…
                          • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Mikey82
                          Here's our history against the Patriots since 2000. Notice how for the most part, the 2nd game is more lopsided.

11/5 - Bills WIN 16-13
                          12/17 - Bills LOSE 10-13 in OT

11/11 - Bills LOSE 11-21
                          12/16 - Bills LOSE 9-12 in OT

11/3 - Bills LOSE 7-38
                          12/8 - Bills LOSE 17-27

9/7 - Bills WIN 31-0
                          12/27 - Bills LOSE 0-31

10/3 - Bills LOSE 17-31
                          11/14 - Bills LOSE 6-29

10/30 - Bills LOSE 16-21
                          12/11 - Bills LOSE 7-35

9/10 - Bills LOSE 17-19
                          10/22 - Bills LOSE 6-28

9/23 - Bills LOSE 7-38
                          11/18 - Bills LOSE 10-56
                          Mikey, I think you hit the nail on the head with this. If you look at the last few seasons, we have remained relatively close in the first game, especially the first half of that game. But for some miraculous reason after halftime and allthroughout the 2nd game, we could do absolutely nothing right. It just seems too odd for them to be that rediculously good and us to be that rediculously bad during those time frames.

Make no mistake, the Pats have had a far supperior team to just about anyone in the NFL the last 4-5 years but there is no way in hell they won as many games as they did clean. They were obiously gaining a competitive edge in some way, shape, or form.

Comment

• jamze132
                            Don’t hate…
                            • Jun 2003

Oh, and by the way, where the hell is NE39 to defend his beloved Patsies? I would swear the guy comes on here only to ever so slightly bash the Bills while trying so hard to sound impartial. He does a good job of it, but I see through his arogance.

Comment

• Michael82
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by jamze132
                              Mikey, I think you hit the nail on the head with this. If you look at the last few seasons, we have remained relatively close in the first game, especially the first half of that game. But for some miraculous reason after halftime and allthroughout the 2nd game, we could do absolutely nothing right. It just seems too odd for them to be that rediculously good and us to be that rediculously bad during those time frames.

Make no mistake, the Pats have had a far supperior team to just about anyone in the NFL the last 4-5 years but there is no way in hell they won as many games as they did clean. They were obiously gaining a competitive edge in some way, shape, or form.
                              Exactly! I bet the halftime scores show it even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X