PDA

View Full Version : Boller could go as high as top 10

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-17-2003, 02:57 PM
Sit Kyle Boller down, look him in the eye and tell him you don't think he's that good. Better yet, tell him he doesn't have the strongest arm in this year's NFL draft quarterback class.

And then listen.

"Give me a time and a place and I'll be there," Boller responds. "I'll out-throw anybody. I'll be there. I'll get on a flight and be there in a half hour. Anytime, anywhere, any place, I'll be there. I'll throw next to anybody."

Carson Palmer. Byron Leftwich. Rex Grossman. Anybody. It isn't cockiness. Nor is it excessive arrogance. It's an unquenchable thirst for competition and unflappable sense of confidence. Boller, the former Cal quarterback who went 1-10 his junior season and almost quit the game 18 months ago now believes he's one of the best. And if you don't agree, he'll beg for a chance to shove it down your throat and prove it.

Which makes his decision to sit out the passing drills at last month's NFL combine all the more fascinating. While Palmer, Grossman and others flung 22 balls at moving targets, Boller just stood there and gut-wrenchingly watched his competition compete.

"It was one of the hardest things I've ever done," Boller said. "I was real close to grabbing a ball and saying, 'Screw this. Let's go.' I'm just so damn competitive. But I trusted my agent, he had a plan and we stuck with it."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/story?id=1539920