PDA

View Full Version : Players we wanted to go are gone and replaced by someone 10 times better.

Mitchell55
05-10-2008, 04:27 PM
Price gone- Hardy got
Tripplett gone- Stroud and Johnson got
Ashton good as gone- William James covering his spot
Ellison replaced- Mitchell starts

Along with all our needs got filled. FB filled by barnes, WR filled by Hardy, TE filled by Johnson, Fine, and Anderson, DE filled by Ellis, LB filled by Mitchell, DT filled by Stroud and Johnson, CB filled by both James and McKelvin. Good year.

DMBcrew36
05-10-2008, 04:28 PM
Eh, I'll wait until we get into the season to start calling these players major improvements. Stroud for example, needs to prove himself coming off of injury. Lets remember, we all thought Tripplett would be beast when he was coming in.

But I do agree, I feel like we have hopefully made some good improvements.

Jan Reimers
05-10-2008, 04:37 PM
We really have upgraded several key positions, added some depth and - with the return of several injured players - should be much better this year.

Offensively, a lot depends on Trent's development, Schonert's playcalling, how much we get from Hardy, and whether one of our TEs emerges as a receiving weapon. Our D should be much better, period.

Historian
05-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I gotta admit, it's funny.

We talk about how this player is inadequate or how this player needs to be cut on this board.

Then in the offseason, that player gets canned.

Football isn't neurosurgery for someone with an ounce of common sense.

raphael120
05-10-2008, 05:22 PM
honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Kawika Mitchell is our new "Jeff Posey"-type of LB...doesn't really do much, but yeah, at least should be a little bit of an upgrade over Ellison.

Luisito23
05-10-2008, 05:49 PM
I got mad love for you Raphael, but Kawika is waaaaaaay better than Posey...

Luisito23
05-10-2008, 05:50 PM
But I see where you coming from dog....:beers:

Mahdi
05-10-2008, 06:34 PM
What Mitchell brings to the Bills defense is versatility. He can rush the passer, stuff the run and is also very good in coverage. He should become a very useful addition to the defense and give Fewell a lot of options.

OpIv37
05-10-2008, 06:36 PM
Price gone- Hardy got
Tripplett gone- Stroud and Johnson got
Ashton good as gone- William James covering his spot
Ellison replaced- Mitchell starts

Along with all our needs got filled. FB filled by barnes, WR filled by Hardy, TE filled by Johnson, Fine, and Anderson, DE filled by Ellis, LB filled by Mitchell, DT filled by Stroud and Johnson, CB filled by both James and McKelvin. Good year.

Agreed on Tripplett and Ellison.

With Price, he spent a lot of time on IR and didn't do much when he wasn't, but Hardy hasn't played a down of NFL football yet. It looks like an improvement and probably will be, but we won't know for sure until Hardy takes the filed.

With James, well, the guy just hasn't done much. He's probably better than Youboty, but certainly not 10 times better. And we're talking about a nickel back here- not an every down player. My guess is that we'll start the year with Greer and McGee on the field and McKelvin at nickel. At some point, McKelvin will start and Greer will move to nickel. James will never be higher than 4th on the depth chart.

Mitchy moo
05-11-2008, 06:48 AM
Agreed on Tripplett and Ellison.

With Price, he spent a lot of time on IR and didn't do much when he wasn't, but Hardy hasn't played a down of NFL football yet. It looks like an improvement and probably will be, but we won't know for sure until Hardy takes the filed.

With James, well, the guy just hasn't done much. He's probably better than Youboty, but certainly not 10 times better. And we're talking about a nickel back here- not an every down player. My guess is that we'll start the year with Greer and McGee on the field and McKelvin at nickel. At some point, McKelvin will start and Greer will move to nickel. James will never be higher than 4th on the depth chart.

True.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-11-2008, 11:55 AM
I gotta admit, it's funny.

We talk about how this player is inadequate or how this player needs to be cut on this board.

Then in the offseason, that player gets canned.

Football isn't neurosurgery for someone with an ounce of common sense.
But... but... how can we peons know about running a football team? After all, we're not the ones getting paid the money! (/sarc)

HHURRICANE
05-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Well. I thought Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, and Adams were going to improve our team but they couldn't do anything unless we were blitzing every down.

Now we have Stroud, Mitchell and Johnson. Same old, same old, until I see something different.

yordad
05-11-2008, 05:44 PM
This just in, Ko Simpson is replacing Jim Leonhard in the starting lineup!!

Stroud is replacing Kyle Williams.

McCargo is replacing Triplett.

Mitchell over Ellison.

Poz over Digi.

McKelvin should soon upgrade Greer.

That is six new starters on defense alone. More then half the defense. That means 4 or more experienced backups (by lineup displacement).

The Bills defense looks solid. And it looks like it has adequate depth all around. It will be tough for these new comers to make the team.

On offense, we have seemingly upgraded several positions.

Hardy over Price/Reed. You can put the unproven label all you want on him. But, I am convinced he will be an immediate upgrade.

This upgrades the slot when we use one, which I anticipate will be a lot. Reed is a natural. Parrish in situations, and when we go four wide should be a nightmare with adequate receivers on the outside. I mean, whose team has a #4 corner that can cover Parrish?

If we are even a little lucky, Royal will be pushed. And, we should have capable depth.

Our O-line will be gelled. All five returning starters. All improving backups.

Lynch will be elite if our o-line is even mildly better. Fred "The Gem" Jackson is now out of the rough (yes, I just made that up).

We have a FB for all occasions.

Our QB should have more weapons, and will have more experience.

I think we upgraded a few positions.

Captain gameboy
05-11-2008, 05:51 PM

Mitchell over Ellison.

Poz over Digi.

That is six new starters on defense alone. More then half the defense. That means 5 more experienced backups (by lineup displacement).

The Bills defense looks solid. And it looks like it has adequate depth all around. It will be tough for these new comers to make the team.

Hardy over Price/Reed. You can put the unproven label all you want on him. But, I am convinced he will be an immediate upgrade.

This upgrades the slot when we use one, which I anticipate will be a lot. Reed is a natural. Parrish in situations, and when we go four wide should be a nightmare with adequate receivers on the outside. I mean, whose team has a #4 corner that can cover Parrish?

If we are even a little lucky, Royal will be pushed. And, we should have capable depth.

Lynch will be elite if our o-line is even mildly better. Fred "The Gem" Jackson is now out of the rough (yes, I just made that up).

Nice post.

It is not dramatic, one guy moves that change the status quo in the NFL.

If it was, every number one draft pick would change the fortunes of his suitor.

It is incremental improvement at all positions.

We seem to have improved, incrementally, if by nothing other than the return of injured players.

I believe that this will be a pretty good team, but more and more, as salary considerations effect depth, the NFL is about injuries.

yordad
05-11-2008, 05:55 PM
Oh, and hopefully we made a huge upgrade in the offensive coordinator position. That alone could make the offense 10X better.

Ebenezer
05-11-2008, 05:57 PM
If we are simply looking to upgrade players with somebody who is 10x better then you could probably replace 45 of the 53 players on this team...that being said the Bills have upgraded in a lot of key areas. As Gameboy said, incrementally...that is about all a team can do in these economic times.

Ebenezer
05-11-2008, 05:58 PM

Mitchell over Ellison.

Poz over Digi.

That is six new starters on defense alone. More then half the defense. That means 5 more experienced backups (by lineup displacement).

which combined with the supposedly easier schedule should translate into playoff contender....:pray:

Night Train
05-11-2008, 06:02 PM

So he basically replaced nobody.

yordad
05-11-2008, 06:03 PM
So he basically replaced nobody.Then great, we got an extra guy on defense!!

thesquirrelking
05-11-2008, 06:09 PM
Well. I thought Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, and Adams were going to improve our team but they couldn't do anything unless we were blitzing every down.

Now we have Stroud, Mitchell and Johnson. Same old, same old, until I see something different.

With Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, and Adams we had the number two ranked defense two years in a row. I remember the defense was dominating teams at times. The zone blitz was part of the overall scheme.

Too bad the offense was downright putrid. I still don't know how Kevin Gilbride is wearing a Superbowl ring now. :huh:

Crisis
05-11-2008, 06:51 PM
honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if Kawika Mitchell is our new "Jeff Posey"-type of LB...doesn't really do much, but yeah, at least should be a little bit of an upgrade over Ellison.

I don't agree with this post, but for some reason reading this reminded me of that eddie robinson play where chad pennington juked the **** out of him. god that was so embarassing

HHURRICANE
05-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Doesn't it scare anybody that no one in NY is missing Mitchell. Nothing. Not even a blip.

jamze132
05-12-2008, 03:32 AM
With Spikes, Posey, Fletcher, and Adams we had the number two ranked defense two years in a row. I remember the defense was dominating teams at times. The zone blitz was part of the overall scheme.

Too bad the offense was downright putrid. I still don't know how Kevin Gilbride is wearing a Superbowl ring now. :huh:
Because Belichick was under instense scrutiny to not cheat at that game.

(and because some nobody made a rediculous catch to keep the winning drive going)

colin
05-12-2008, 07:40 AM
don't forget our entire back field last season was rookies or first year nfl guys.

big step up now.

DraftBoy
05-12-2008, 07:49 AM
So our entire offensive improvement that people are clinging to (roster change wise) is on the shoulders of a rookie WR who we all know traditionally in the NFL takes a few years to get acclimated, but because he's a Bills pick, he'll contribute immediately. Come on guys, this is why we get called homers. While I think Hardy will be decent, expecting anything more then 300 yards this year is pushing it for a rookie for sure.

Jeff1220
05-12-2008, 08:33 AM
So our entire offensive improvement that people are clinging to (roster change wise) is on the shoulders of a rookie WR who we all know traditionally in the NFL takes a few years to get acclimated, but because he's a Bills pick, he'll contribute immediately. Come on guys, this is why we get called homers. While I think Hardy will be decent, expecting anything more then 300 yards this year is pushing it for a rookie for sure.

I understand your point, but I don't think anyone here is expecting an 800 or even 700 yard season from Hardy at this point. What we do expect is a huge (literaly) weapon in the redzone that, at worst, creates a little more open space for Evans or any of the other guys on O. A target like Hardy can't be ignored in the end zone and it should pay dividends in some way, since the team had nothing of the sort in recent years past.

Dr. Lecter
05-12-2008, 08:47 AM

I bet he gets more than 300 yards.

Josh Reed had 509. Lee Evans had 843. Even Parrish, in only 10 games, had 148.

Less than 300 for a guy who is expected to contribute would be disappointing. Will he be an all-pro guy? No way. But 300 yards for the amount PT he will get would not be good.

justasportsfan
05-12-2008, 09:28 AM
I don't want Ellison gone. He's good depth.

DraftBoy
05-12-2008, 09:50 AM
I bet he gets more than 300 yards.

Josh Reed had 509. Lee Evans had 843. Even Parrish, in only 10 games, had 148.

Less than 300 for a guy who is expected to contribute would be disappointing. Will he be an all-pro guy? No way. But 300 yards for the amount PT he will get would not be good.

You know before hand the amount of PT he's going to get?? Id like you to share that with us.

We all know he's going to see red zone time for sure but I dont think he'll start over Reed and he's not going to be the deep threat in the NFL that he was in college. I think between 300-400 yards is his likely production numbers with 3-5 TDs. He does that and he shows progression, he'll have had a good year. Asking for him to put up 500+ and 7+ TDs (which are some numbers being thrown around) I think are ridiculous for a non-starting WR.

DraftBoy
05-12-2008, 09:51 AM
I understand your point, but I don't think anyone here is expecting an 800 or even 700 yard season from Hardy at this point. What we do expect is a huge (literaly) weapon in the redzone that, at worst, creates a little more open space for Evans or any of the other guys on O. A target like Hardy can't be ignored in the end zone and it should pay dividends in some way, since the team had nothing of the sort in recent years past.

Most teams zone up in the red zone, because of the field position actually hurts the offense, which is why some teams take 5 yard penalties to give themselves more room. So I dont know how using Hardy in the redzone where there is less room to operate will suddenly create more room for Evans. Im not following you somewhere here.

Dr. Lecter
05-12-2008, 10:28 AM
You know before hand the amount of PT he's going to get?? Id like you to share that with us.

We all know he's going to see red zone time for sure but I dont think he'll start over Reed and he's not going to be the deep threat in the NFL that he was in college. I think between 300-400 yards is his likely production numbers with 3-5 TDs. He does that and he shows progression, he'll have had a good year. Asking for him to put up 500+ and 7+ TDs (which are some numbers being thrown around) I think are ridiculous for a non-starting WR.

Well, I am not sure how much PT he is getting, but apparently you do. I am assuming that he will get the 3rd most time at WR (behind Reed and Evans). I also used other rookie WR's to compare him to. If you recall, Parrish barely played at all as a rookie. So to give Hardy a slightly higher same yards per game as Parrish is not unreasonable.

As for the yards and TDs, while not starting (which I agree with) he will likley be one of the first two guys in the game when the Bills are inside the 10 yard line, which could inflate his TD count.

I look for 500 - 600 yards and 5-7 TDs.

DraftBoy
05-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Well, I am not sure how much PT he is getting, but apparently you do. I am assuming that he will get the 3rd most time at WR (behind Reed and Evans). I also used other rookie WR's to compare him to. If you recall, Parrish barely played at all as a rookie. So to give Hardy a slightly higher same yards per game as Parrish is not unreasonable.

As for the yards and TDs, while not starting (which I agree with) he will likley be one of the first two guys in the game when the Bills are inside the 10 yard line, which could inflate his TD count.

I look for 500 - 600 yards and 5-7 TDs.

500-600 yards to come from where? Like you said he wont be starting and he'll likely struggle to gain separation in the pros early in his career as that was the big knock on him out of school. We also dont have an air it out gunslinger QB either. Trent is known for making the safe throw, that wont be Hardy if he can't gain seperation. He'll be a redzone target but again, I dont know of Edwards ability on the fade route, since we so rarely run it. That would be our best option for Hardy.

justasportsfan
05-12-2008, 10:38 AM
and he'll likely struggle to gain separation in the pros early in his career as that was the big knock on him out of school. .
with his height, he may not need separation. Hopefully.

We also dont have an air it out gunslinger QB either..see link below. We have a qb that can make throws to a 5'11 wr in the corner. He's also done it with Parrish and Price. I can only imagine what he can do if he had Hardy as well.

Trent is known for making the safe throw, that wont be Hardy if he can't gain seperation. He'll be a redzone target but again, I dont know of Edwards ability on the fade route, since we so rarely run it. That would be our best option for Hardy.

Agreed . I hope Trent can make the throws in the link. Until Trent can prove he can do this on a consistent basis, this is why I wouldn't want to trade JP.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HhB-fVFdAfg&feature=related

DraftBoy
05-12-2008, 10:48 AM
with his height, he may not need separation. Hopefully.
see link below. We have a qb that can make throws to a 5'11 wr in the corner. He's also done it with Parrish and Price. I can only imagine what he can do if he had Hardy as well.

Agreed . I hope Trent can make the throws in the link. Until Trent can prove he can do this on a consistent basis, this is why I wouldn't want to trade JP.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=HhB-fVFdAfg&feature=related

I dont see how you can say that because he is tall he does not need to gain seperation from a DB. That doesnt make much sense to me. What are you advocating our QB just attempt to throw the ball high? Id rather our WR's get open instead.

justasportsfan
05-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I dont see how you can say that because he is tall he does not need to gain seperation from a DB.That doesnt make much sense to me .
My bad, I was being sarcastic. However....

What are you advocating our QB just attempt to throw the ball high? Id rather our WR's get open instead.

......it worked with Flutie and MOulds no? If we had Drew or Flutie, Hardy would have 2000 yards since Drews passes sails above everyone .

If Hardy can make catches over the defenders , Evans will get open. As will PArrish.

I PRAY TO GOD THAT SCHONERT KNOWS HOW TO USE HIS PLAYERS WELL

Jeff1220
05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
If Hardy can make catches over the defenders , Evans will get open. As will PArrish.

I PRAY TO GOD THAT SCHONERT KNOWS HOW TO USE HIS PLAYERS WELL

My point exactly.

yordad
05-12-2008, 01:21 PM

We all know he's going to see red zone time for sure but I dont think he'll start over Reed and he's not going to be the deep threat in the NFL that he was in college. I think between 300-400 yards is his likely production numbers with 3-5 TDs. He does that and he shows progression, he'll have had a good year. Asking for him to put up 500+ and 7+ TDs (which are some numbers being thrown around) I think are ridiculous for a non-starting WR.Well then paint me ridiculous. :balloons:

500-600 yards to come from where? Like you said he wont be starting assumption and he'll likely struggle to gain separation in the pros assumption early in his career as that was the big knock on him out of school. We also dont have an air it out gunslinger QB either. Trent is known for making the safe throw, that wont be Hardy if he can't gain seperation assumption . He'll be a redzone target but again, I dont know of Edwards ability on the fade route assumption , since we so rarely run it assumption . That would be our best option for Hardy assumption .And you say we are assuming his pro skills and playing time.

DraftBoy
05-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Well then paint me ridiculous. :balloons:
And you say we are assuming his pro skills and playing time.

Done, and I never said I wasn't making the same assumptions

Bill Cody
05-12-2008, 04:20 PM
I dont see how you can say that because he is tall he does not need to gain seperation from a DB. That doesnt make much sense to me. What are you advocating our QB just attempt to throw the ball high? Id rather our WR's get open instead.

He's as fast or faster as Eric Moulds at 4.5 and bigger. Moulds rarely got a lot of separation but he made a ton of plays. Keyshawn Johnson has never gotten separation, in fact in his last few years he was slower than some TE's, but he was productive. When you have 6 inches or more on your defender you should be able to go up and get the ball- that's a major mismatch especially near the goal line. And once Hardy gets it good luck to the little guys defending him getting him down.

One thing I do agree with you on is it all depends if he starts or not. Personally I really hope Hardy shows he can start right away. Josh Reed as a number 2 scares noone.

thesquirrelking
05-12-2008, 06:46 PM
Josh Reed as a number 2 scares noone.

That scares me....:wail:

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 09:18 AM
Doesn't it scare anybody that no one in NY is missing Mitchell. Nothing. Not even a blip.
the raiders sure missed Moss when they traded him to the Pats for a 4th. :rolleyes:

Mahdi
05-13-2008, 02:59 PM
300 yards? Thats like 20 yards receiving per game... about 2 catches. I think that expecting a number that low is what is unrealistic.

Larry Fitzgerald: 58 rec, 780 yds, 8td

Roy Williams: 54 rec, 817 yds, 8td

Reggie Williams: 27 rec, 268 yds, 1td

Lee Evans: 48 rec, 843 yds, 5td

Michael Clayton: 80 rec 1193 yds, 7td

Michael Jenkins: 7 rec, 119 yds, 0td

Rashaun Woods: 7 rec, 160, 1td

Devery Henderson: 0 - 0 - 0 : injury?

Darius Watts: 31, rec, 385yds, 1td

Keary Colbert: 47 rec, 754 yds, 5td

Braylon Edwards: 32 rec, 512 yds, 3td

Troy Williamson: 24rec, 372 yds, 2td

Mike Williams: 29 rec, 350 yds, 1td

Matt Jones: 36 rec, 432 yds, 5td

Mark Clayton: 44 rec, 471, 2td

Roddy White: 29 rec, 446 yds, 3td

Reggie Brown: 43 rec, 571 yds, 4td

Mark Bradley: 18 rec, 230 yds, 0td

Roscoe Parrish:15 rec, 148, 1td injury

Terrence Murphy: 5 rec, 36 yds, 0td

Vincent Jackson: 3 rec, 59 yds, 0 td

Santonio Holmes: 49 rec, 824 yds, 2td

Chad Jackson: 13 rec, 152 yds, 3td

Sinorice Moss: 5 rec, 25 yds, 0 td

Greg Jennings: 45 rec, 632 yds, 3td

Calvin Johnson: 48 rec, 756 yds, 4td

Ted Ginn Jr.: 34 rec, 420 yds, 2td

Dwayne Bowe: 70 rec, 995 yds, 5 td

Robert Meachem: 0 - 0 - 0 injury/attitude/weight

Craig Davis: 20 rec, 188 yds, 1 td

Anthony Gonzalez: 37 rec, 576 yds, 3td

Sidney Rice: 31 rec, 396 yds, 4 td

Dwayne Jarrett: 6 rec, 73 yds, 0 td

Steve Smith: 8 rec, 63 yds, 0 td

That's the breakdown of every round 1 and 2 wr's production in their rookie year over the last 4 drafts (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007).

Just by glancing over that list it is evident that how the rookie performs in his first year relies heavily on the situation he is brought in to. QB? OL? running game? and position in the depth chart.

Santonio Holmes and Dwayne Bowe for example came into very good situations with solid qb play, OL and started from day 1, while Sidney Rice and Steve Smith came into less fortunate situations. Rice had Tarvaris throwing to him and Smith was playing behind Toomer and Plaxico Burress who are still very good starters.

If we look at the situation Hardy is coming in to it is very similar to what Bowe and Santonio came in to. Trent has a year of experience under his belt plus the advantage of being the starter in OTAs and TC. We have a solid run game with 2 solid Rbs and possibly a 3rd in Omon and the biggest advantage he will have is - at he has Lee Evans lined up on the other side who comands double and tripple coverage at times. Hardy shouldnt have to do much to gain at least 700 yards and 6-8 TDs. That means he would average about 44 yards a game and 1 td every 2 or 2.5 games. I dont think that is unrealistic at all.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 03:04 PM
300 yards? Thats like 20 yards receiving per game... about 2 catches. I think that expecting a number that low is what is unrealistic.

Larry Fitzgerald: 58 rec, 780 yds, 8td

Roy Williams: 54 rec, 817 yds, 8td

Reggie Williams: 27 rec, 268 yds, 1td

Lee Evans: 48 rec, 843 yds, 5td

Michael Clayton: 80 rec 1193 yds, 7td

Michael Jenkins: 7 rec, 119 yds, 0td

Rashaun Woods: 7 rec, 160, 1td

Devery Henderson: 0 - 0 - 0 : injury?

Darius Watts: 31, rec, 385yds, 1td

Keary Colbert: 47 rec, 754 yds, 5td

Braylon Edwards: 32 rec, 512 yds, 3td

Troy Williamson: 24rec, 372 yds, 2td

Mike Williams: 29 rec, 350 yds, 1td

Matt Jones: 36 rec, 432 yds, 5td

Mark Clayton: 44 rec, 471, 2td

Roddy White: 29 rec, 446 yds, 3td

Reggie Brown: 43 rec, 571 yds, 4td

Mark Bradley: 18 rec, 230 yds, 0td

Roscoe Parrish:15 rec, 148, 1td injury

Terrence Murphy: 5 rec, 36 yds, 0td

Vincent Jackson: 3 rec, 59 yds, 0 td

Santonio Holmes: 49 rec, 824 yds, 2td

Chad Jackson: 13 rec, 152 yds, 3td

Sinorice Moss: 5 rec, 25 yds, 0 td

Greg Jennings: 45 rec, 632 yds, 3td

Calvin Johnson: 48 rec, 756 yds, 4td

Ted Ginn Jr.: 34 rec, 420 yds, 2td

Dwayne Bowe: 70 rec, 995 yds, 5 td

Robert Meachem: 0 - 0 - 0 injury/attitude/weight

Craig Davis: 20 rec, 188 yds, 1 td

Anthony Gonzalez: 37 rec, 576 yds, 3td

Sidney Rice: 31 rec, 396 yds, 4 td

Dwayne Jarrett: 6 rec, 73 yds, 0 td

Steve Smith: 8 rec, 63 yds, 0 td

That's the breakdown of every round 1 and 2 wr's production in their rookie year over the last 4 drafts (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007).

Just by glancing over that list it is evident that how the rookie performs in his first year relies heavily on the situation he is brought in to. QB? OL? running game? and position in the depth chart.

Santonio Holmes and Dwayne Bowe for example came into very good situations with solid qb play, OL and started from day 1, while Sidney Rice and Steve Smith came into less fortunate situations. Rice had Tarvaris throwing to him and Smith was playing behind Toomer and Plaxico Burress who are still very good starters.

If we look at the situation Hardy is coming in to it is very similar to what Bowe and Santonio came in to. Trent has a year of experience under his belt plus the advantage of being the starter in OTAs and TC. We have a solid run game with 2 solid Rbs and possibly a 3rd in Omon and the biggest advantage he will have is - at he has Lee Evans lined up on the other side who comands double and tripple coverage at times. Hardy shouldnt have to do much to gain at least 700 yards and 6-8 TDs. That means he would average about 44 yards a game and 1 td every 2 or 2.5 games. I dont think that is unrealistic at all.

How does Holmes situation mirror Hardy's at all? Holmes had a good OL, a good QB, multiple other weapons around him, and great coaching. Bowe was pretty much a freak and he started from early on which many people already acknowledge is not a likelyhood for Hardy. He'll be used primarily as a redzone target to start off the year and may eventually move into the starting role, but alot depends on our OL and our QB neither of which are considered strong points at this time.

Mahdi
05-13-2008, 04:16 PM
How does Holmes situation mirror Hardy's at all? Holmes had a good OL, a good QB, multiple other weapons around him, and great coaching. Bowe was pretty much a freak and he started from early on which many people already acknowledge is not a likelyhood for Hardy. He'll be used primarily as a redzone target to start off the year and may eventually move into the starting role, but alot depends on our OL and our QB neither of which are considered strong points at this time.
Where has a Bills coach ever stated that Hardy will be used only in red-zone situations to start off the year? Reed had a horrible year last year and did nothing to make the coaches believe he should be the starter.

Who says Hardy can't be put in the same situation Bowe was in last year? Bowe had decent QBing, no threat on the other side mind you and a decent run game. We should have better than that with a more established OL than KCs, a game-breaking WR opposite Hardy and a good run game. Our QBing should be at least decent. If we had a returning vet who produces consistently I would agree with Hardy not getting that much playing time but in reality we have no one that the coaches trust so why not throw Hardy in there day 1 as many other receivers have done and let him learn on the fly and take some coverage away from Evans. I'm betting that is exactly how the coaches feel about it because they built this roster to win now not in another 3 years after they have brought Hardy along slowly while he plays under a solid vet(which we dont have).