• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • shelby
    The Vanilla *****
    • Jul 2002

Bills’ backers see better days on the horizon

Jerry Sullivan sums up the mentality of the more optomistic fans like myself, who have "a pathological will to believe".....

What is it with you Buffalo people, anyway? The Bills haven’t made the playoffs since the 1999 season. They’ve teased you and tormented you. They’ve promised you the moon and lassoed misery instead. You have every reason to be wary and skeptical. So the question is, why?
    Why would the Bills be on the verge of selling 50,000 season tickets for the first time since the last of the four Super Bowl years in 1993? How come, in the midst of persistent mediocrity and unrealized expectations, would interest in this team be at the highest point in a generation?
    Everyone has a theory: People are afraid of losing the franchise. Marginal Sabres fans are turning back to the Bills. The Toronto deal is creating a surge in Canadian sales (it’s there, but minimal). There’s a rising population of goofballs who want to drink and misbehave on Sundays in the fall.
    “I think it’s a combination of many factors,” said Bills chief operating officer Russ Brandon. “But it always comes back to the passion this region has for the Bills.”
    Brandon deserves to take a bow for this, too. The season-ticket base didn’t grow overnight. It’s the result of a calculated, 10-year plan that began around the time Brandon arrived in 1998, when season-ticket sales were in the 31,000 range and the organization was trying to push suites and club seats.
    Doug Flutie certainly sparked interest in the short term. But it was the moves to regionalize the franchise in Rochester and be more creative with group sales that helped revive the ticket base. The rise has actually been fairly steady, through the disappointing Donahoe years until the present.
    But as Brandon points out, it wouldn’t be possible without the abiding passion of Bills fans, who have continued to support the team despite years of bumbling coaches, underachieving players and Ralph Wilson’s insistence on reminding us that Buffalo is an economic sinkhole.
    The fact is, people believe in this team. Give Buffalo fans the slightest reason for hope and they’ll allow you to lead them by the hand. There’s a general perception that the Bills are building toward something. It’s a stretch, but there are parallels to the 1988 team of 20 years ago.
    There’s a fresh quality to the roster. Many of the key players — Donte Whitner, Trent Edwards, Marshawn Lynch, to name three — are well short of their prime and haven’t had time to be perceived as disappointments. So there’s a great sense of possibility, of promise unfulfilled.
    full story

• Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Bills’ backers see better days on the horizon

Originally posted by shelby
    Jerry Sullivan sums up the mentality of the more optomistic fans like myself, who have "a pathological will to believe".....

full story
    Nice post!!

Comment

• Cntrygal
      Visually stunning but camera-shy.
      • Jul 2002

I like the article - but I don't know if I should laugh or cry!

"Give Buffalo fans the slightest reason for hope and they’ll allow you to lead them by the hand."
      Originally posted by notacon
      The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• Jan Reimers
        Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
        • May 2003

I'm exactly the kind of person Sullivan is talking about. A long-time season ticket holder with high hopes, who just won't give up (except briefly, after gut-wrenching losses) no matter how bad things actually become.
        Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• raphael120
          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
          • Oct 2005

Very good article, and it's every bit true and more the reason that you'd have to be a cold hearted bastard to take the Bills away from all of us.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
            Roways rooking ahread!
            • Sep 2005

I cannot even think about the Bills being anywhere but in Buffalo.

Comment

• coastal
              Legendary Zoner
              • Mar 2005

Sullivan has finally stepped his game up.

Comment

• ddaryl
                Everything I post is sexual inuendo
                • Jan 2005

When the season begins ( see last 10 or so years) I then switch to reality mode...

I still watch every game I just adjust my expectations at that point... I get down on the Bills and their direction like many others, I just don't bring it to a forum and wallow in it during the season.

However I have always managed lots of optomism in the offseason, and its my prefered way to handle being a fan. If we come out of the gates in the regular season like we have the last few season, stone cold, then I will have a pessimistic view... even then I won't be starting threads and posting pessimistic stuff in this or any other message board much. I might blurb about my opinion, but I won't stew on it.

On the other hand if the Bills really pull it together this year , and I can maintain optomism through the season, I will probably engage more, instead of just turning off the TV and finding other things to relieve my misery.

the fact remains though, my only loyalty to the NFL is the Buffalo Bills.... Without the Bills in Buffalo the NFL loses me as a fan all together.

Comment

• ublinkwescore
                  Sab and TD are insignificant
                  • Sep 2002

Originally posted by ddaryl
                  When the season begins ( see last 10 or so years) I then switch to reality mode...

I still watch every game I just adjust my expectations at that point... I get down on the Bills and their direction like many others, I just don't bring it to a forum and wallow in it during the season.

However I have always managed lots of optomism in the offseason, and its my prefered way to handle being a fan. If we come out of the gates in the regular season like we have the last few season, stone cold, then I will have a pessimistic view... even then I won't be starting threads and posting pessimistic stuff in this or any other message board much. I might blurb about my opinion, but I won't stew on it.

On the other hand if the Bills really pull it together this year , and I can maintain optomism through the season, I will probably engage more, instead of just turning off the TV and finding other things to relieve my misery.

the fact remains though, my only loyalty to the NFL is the Buffalo Bills.... Without the Bills in Buffalo the NFL loses me as a fan all together.
                  good post.

Don't hate me because of my situation, I have never been to New York or western NY for that matter, so, I really have no sense of loyalty to the area outside of the Bills but I think I could still be a Bills fan if they moved, but god, please don't let them go to Canada. I would still like to one day catch a Bills game in December against Miami or New England at RWS.
                  www.gamersconspiracy.com - where gamers conspire

Comment

• Night Train
                    Retired - On Several Levels
                    • Jul 2005

Originally posted by Jan Reimers
                    I'm exactly the kind of person Sullivan is talking about. A long-time season ticket holder with high hopes, who just won't give up (except briefly, after gut-wrenching losses) no matter how bad things actually become.
                    Yup. Dumber than dirt.

Like we care what others think..
                    Anonymity is an abused privilege, abused most by people who mistake vitriol for wisdom and cynicism for wit

Comment

• jamze132
                      Don’t hate…
                      • Jun 2003

If you ask my friends, they will tell you that I thought the Bills should have won every Super Bowl...ever.

Comment

• Dujek
                        Hall of Fame Zoner
                        • Jan 2008

Before every season I believe that the Bills are going to the playoffs and are going to make a big splash when they get there, and no matter how often I have been disppointed (especially this century) I still believe right up until it's mathematically impossible for them to make it.

That's what being a fan is all about, sport is like religion, keep believing no matter what others throw in your face.

Comment

• justasportsfan
                          • Jul 2002

Between the 4 sb losses and almost making the playoffs the last few years , bills fans should be the best fans when it comes to the Heimlich maneuver.
                          sacrifice1
                          https://theinterviewwithgod.com/video/

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by ublinkwescore
                            good post.

Don't hate me because of my situation, I have never been to New York or western NY for that matter, so, I really have no sense of loyalty to the area outside of the Bills but I think I could still be a Bills fan if they moved, but god, please don't let them go to Canada. I would still like to one day catch a Bills game in December against Miami or New England at RWS.
                            UNACCEPTABLE BLING

Comment

Working...
                            X