PDA

View Full Version : NFL Power Rankings: May Edition

raphael120
05-12-2008, 10:33 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2008&week=0

<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="oddrow" align="left"><td>http://sportsmed.starwave.com/i/teamlogos/nfl/sml/trans/buf.gif</td> <td>19 (19)</td> <td>Bills (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf)</td> <td width="50">7-9-0</td> <td>Marcus Stroud turns 30 this summer and his starts have declined over three seasons. Will he be healthy enough to help the Bills in December? (MS)</td></tr></tbody></table>

Middle of the pack it seems...I'll take that...but I think it's going to ride on a lot more than if just Stroud is healthy...

justasportsfan
05-12-2008, 10:34 AM
thats too high. I was hoping they'd rank us 32.

Mitchy moo
05-12-2008, 10:35 AM
Power rankings already?? I feel jaded, lol.

J/K.

mayotm
05-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Seems about appropriate for now.

raphael120
05-12-2008, 10:49 AM
thats too high. I was hoping they'd rank us 32.

We all know Miami now rents out the number 32 spot they like it so much.

TacklingDummy
05-12-2008, 10:50 AM
The teams the Bills beat last year are ranked...

14 (10) Redskins

21 (30) Jets

22 (25) Ravens

25 (22) Bengals

31 (32) Dolphins

I think people are being alittle to optimistic considering that the teams we beat last year sucked. And the Bills haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Until they show something on the field, it is justified to be pessimistic.

raphael120
05-12-2008, 10:52 AM

14 (10) Redskins

21 (30) Jets

22 (25) Ravens

25 (22) Bengals

31 (32) Dolphins

I think people are being alittle to optimistic considering that the teams we beat last year sucked. And the Bills haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Until they show something on the field, it is justified to be pessimistic.

And if they start out the season slow for the THIRD STRAIGHT YEAR I think there is even more reason for pessimism considering it will resemble the same ol same ol. Come out the gates 2-2 or better I think there is reason for optimism.

justasportsfan
05-12-2008, 10:55 AM

14 (10) Redskins

21 (30) Jets

22 (25) Ravens

25 (22) Bengals

31 (32) Dolphins

I think people are being alittle to optimistic considering that the teams we beat last year sucked. And the Bills haven't been to the playoffs since 1999. Until they show something on the field, it is justified to be pessimistic. Imagine that. Prior to 07 season starting ,we supposedly the hardest Sched.

Now we supposedly have one of the easiest sched. How dare we be a little bit optimistic.

BlackMetalNinja
05-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Perhaps, but it's a lot less fun too!

RockStar36
05-12-2008, 11:01 AM
The best part about the off-season is that every fan can be overly optimistic about their team. That being said, 19 is fair considering they haven't done anything on the field to warrant a move up.

TacklingDummy
05-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Imagine that. Prior to 07 season starting ,we supposedly the hardest Sched.

I don't think our schedule is that easy.

Miami/Jets both improved this off-season. Sweeping them both this year is highly unlikely. At KC/Den is no easy task. NE (2), Seattle, Jags, SD are not easy matchups either. At Arizona/Rams won't be easy either.

The only team besides both Miami, home against the Jets, that the Bills would be favored to beat on our schedule right now would be San Fran. COnsidering the Rams/Chiefs are away games and the home team usually has the advantage.

justasportsfan
05-12-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't think our schedule is that easy.

Miami/Jets both improved this off-season. Sweeping them both this year is highly unlikely. At KC/Den is no easy task. NE (2), Seattle, Jags, SD are not easy matchups either. At Arizona/Rams won't be easy either.

The only team besides both Miami, home against the Jets, that the Bills would be favored to beat on our schedule right now would be San Fran. COnsidering the Rams/Chiefs are away games and the home team usually has the advantage.
I'm sure you didn't think our 07 sched was easy either prior to the season starting.

You may not think this years sched is easy but maybe at the end of the year you could be downplaying who we beat again.

the bengals , redskins and jets were suppose to be better than we were going into last year.

I think the chiefs are on their way down with herm as the HC.

TacklingDummy
05-12-2008, 11:53 AM
I think the chiefs are on their way down with herm as the HC.

Agreed. They did have a great draft, they still can run the ball, and the game is in Arrowhead though.

the bengals , redskins and jets were suppose to be better than we were going into last year.. At the time the skins and Bengals were playing bad football. One week later and those games would have been losses. The Jets were an overrated 10-6 team that had 3 wins against the crappy Bills/fins, wins against the Lions, Raiders, Titians, Texans, Vikings, from the year before.

justasportsfan
05-12-2008, 11:57 AM
The Jets were an overrated 10-6 team that had 4 wins against the crappy Bills/fins from the year before. my point exactly. ANything can change. For all we know the Pats could suck this season. Who knows?

TacklingDummy
05-12-2008, 12:01 PM
my point exactly. ANything can change. For all we know the Pats could suck this season. Who knows?

It's possible. Some of us like being realistic though. :up:

Hopefully I am wrong. I'd love to see the playoffs again.

The Answer
05-12-2008, 12:06 PM
Power Rankings at this point of the season are meaningless. Cleveland was near the bottom last year before the season started and Chicago was near the top and we all know how that turned out.

Also this teams success doesn't hinge on Marcus Stroud, we will go as far as the offense takes us. However a major improvement on defense will help matters if we can create turnovers to set up a short field for the offense and force 3 and outs consistently.

~The Answer

Pinkerton Security
05-12-2008, 12:37 PM

14 (10) Redskins

21 (30) Jets

22 (25) Ravens

25 (22) Bengals

31 (32) Dolphins

and we were in games against some higher-ranked opponents where we fought the whole game and just came up short.

NYG -ranked 6th - We played the champs tough, but unraveled at the end. Score doesnt indicate how we played.

PHI - ranked 13th - lost by 8 and were 0-4 in the red zone.

DAL- ranked 4th - Enough said. Should have won.

CLE- Ranked 9th - DIdnt get a fair shot at playing a real honest to goodness football game. Edwards MAY suck in the snow, and we both had to play in the same conditions, but tell me the game wouldnt have been totally different, for better or for worse, if it was fair weather.

So say we get one lucky break per game in these games against tough foes, and pull out 3 of the 4. That makes us 10-6.

This is why I am optimistic. We were in most games, with a realistic shot at winning, but didnt play well enough. IF IF IF we can improve, we are on the other side of .500, and that excites me with an easier schedule.

TigerJ
05-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Buffalo went 7-9 last season with a team that had been gutted by injuries. That record enabled them to draft 11th overall, which means they were the 21st team in terms of record last year. They have a considerably easier schedule this season. They got healthy during the offseason. They are very young but at many key positions their youngest players gained valuable experience and playing time. They drastically improved the interior of their defensive line. And they are up two spots in the power rankings from what their record indicated at the end of the 2007 season?

I don't let power rankings get me down, but if Buffalo doesn't finish 2008 somewhere around the 10th to 12th best team in the league, I'll be mightily disappointed.

justasportsfan
05-12-2008, 01:03 PM
It's possible. Some of us like being realistic though. :up:

Hopefully I am wrong. I'd love to see the playoffs again.
anyone who said that we would sweep the jets or that the ravens would suck wouldn't be realistic.

Thing is, no one knows who will be good or bad and at the end of the year we can make look back and see if we had a good or bad schedule.

jamze132
05-13-2008, 07:45 AM
What is really sad is that before any games are played in September or even camp in August, is that the power rankings from ESPN will change 5 times...

I just don't understand how teams can go up or down without even being together at practice...

It's the same before the draft. If Douche Kiper has a kid at #10 on his "Big Board" and the kid successfuly eats a hamburger without choking, he will probably move up a spot or two. Likewise if the same guy does indeed choke on the burger, he could move down to the 20s and be replaced by some other guy who successfully watched and entire season of Oprah, because the guy's got "dedication".

Its all ******ed.