PDA

View Full Version : James Hardy allegedly points a pistol at his father

Ron Burgundy
05-13-2008, 05:45 AM
James Hardy, the former IU wide receiver just drafted by the Buffalo Bills, reportedly pulled a gun on his father during an argument, according to a police report filed Sunday with the football star’s name edited out.

No charges have been filed. The younger Hardy has a permit to carry a gun, and the police say they have no plans to pursue the matter further.

Officers were called to a home in the 2900 block of Weisser Park Avenue just before 1:30 p.m. Sunday by a woman who said a man was fighting with his father in her backyard.

The father was identified as James W. Hardy II, according to the report. The son, listed as a suspect with his name redacted from the report, was identified in police dispatch logs as 21-year-old James Hardy. The names of possible suspects are routinely blacked out of police reports provided to the public or media.

Police Chief Rusty York confirmed the younger Hardy was involved, but said because his father showed no signs of injury, there was no reason to pursue the matter further.

more...

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080513/SPORTS/805130306/tbd/

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 05:55 AM
Ugh.

Mitchy moo
05-13-2008, 06:02 AM
Ummm, steal of the draft is a stretch right now. I bet H1 / H2 split a case of genny cream ale pounders, LOL.

The Spaz
05-13-2008, 06:07 AM
Oh no, here we go....:mad:

Night Train
05-13-2008, 06:09 AM
Great..:shakeno:

jamze132
05-13-2008, 06:10 AM
There is a risk with any draft pick. There is nothing we can do excpet hope that all our players stay out of as much trouble as possible.

YardRat
05-13-2008, 06:10 AM
Time to put the toys away, James, and concentrate on football.

Confused
05-13-2008, 06:14 AM
they looked so happy on d-ady

Dujek
05-13-2008, 06:29 AM
At least he didn't pull the trigger

Romes
05-13-2008, 06:30 AM
:(

Jan Reimers
05-13-2008, 06:31 AM
I just hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Scumbag College
05-13-2008, 06:33 AM
I'm fine with this. No one was shot, it's a family affair..

Jan Reimers
05-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Still, have you ever pulled a gun on your father?

Scumbag College
05-13-2008, 06:39 AM

Just last Father's Day.

Mitchy moo
05-13-2008, 06:40 AM

Yeah, happy mothers day.

Jan Reimers
05-13-2008, 06:47 AM
Just last Father's Day.
I'm sure he deserved it.:nod:

Mitchy moo
05-13-2008, 06:52 AM
I also think we need to write a anger management class clause in his contract, it's fairly obvious that roughing up his baby's momma and this incident show character flaws.

Jan Reimers
05-13-2008, 06:54 AM
I also think we need to write a anger management class clause in his contract, it's fairly obvious that roughing up his baby's momma and this incident show character flaws.
He is definitely showing OJ potential.

Scumbag College
05-13-2008, 06:58 AM
In all seriousness, Skooby does have a point. There is an obvious anger trend with this guy. To hit your girlfriend and point a gun at your father is problematic behavior. He does have long periods of being ok, which means that he can do it. Counseling and anger management could seriously help this guy.

Like Chris Berman says, "Once is an accident, twice is a trend, three times is a problem."

don137
05-13-2008, 07:10 AM
I don't care if he is a Buffalo Bill or not. This is unacceptable for any pro athlete. Like it or not they are role models and this is not setting a good example. While I do not know the circumstances I do not think pulling a gun was necessary. Hardy is offically one of my least favorite players now.

acehole
05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
At least he didn't pull the trigger

Yea....and that shows high character.....

Your honor I would like to state for the record the father was dressed like a deer....

colin
05-13-2008, 07:14 AM
I do not know the circumstances

exactly.

keep in mind he pulled a gun, didn't hurt anyone.

2nd ammendment says he can keep that gun just as long as he wants.

Saratoga Slim
05-13-2008, 07:21 AM
Look at it this way. His contract just got cheaper.

Jan Reimers
05-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Or not. Maybe he'll bring a gun to the negotiations.

mybills
05-13-2008, 07:26 AM
Yea....and that shows high character......
in a weird way, it does. Maybe he couldn't pull the trigger.

acehole
05-13-2008, 07:33 AM
in a weird way, it does. Maybe he couldn't pull the trigger.

You people spin anything to make it sound good.

It was bad...it shows bad chararter.

I don't know the date of that but it had better have been 4-5 years ago.

You dont give millions to a guy who has recently done that.

Patti120
05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
:wtf:

uh oh! Maybe his dad asked if he could manage his money or something?

:couch:

DMBcrew36
05-13-2008, 07:47 AM
This is what happens when your childhood was as f**ked up as Hardy's was.

Buffatexas
05-13-2008, 07:54 AM
leave it to the media to f things up by not releasing the reason why he pulled the gun. Let me ask you, if your father, in a fit of rage, threaten to kill you or say your mom, and you have the LEGAL right to carry a firearm and all other avenues were used to calm him down and those failed, would you not pull the weapon to "calm him down" with no intent to fire as a last resort?

Let's reserve judgement until the facts are known.

Mr. Miyagi
05-13-2008, 07:55 AM
:bf1: Great call!

Wait till they find that brick of pot in his trunk! He'll be playing for free!

THATHURMANATOR
05-13-2008, 07:57 AM
Who cares? Can the guy catch TDs? Thats all I care about.

Dujek
05-13-2008, 07:58 AM
Yea....and that shows high character.....

Your honor I would like to state for the record the father was dressed like a deer....

I didn't say that it did. It's just the situation would have been a hell of a lot worse if he'd squeezed off a couple of rounds.

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 07:59 AM

Do you feel the same about Moss and TO?

Players that have actually done something in the NFL.

mybills
05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
I didn't say that it did. It's just the situation would have been a hell of a lot worse if he'd squeezed off a couple of rounds.
exactly!

"spin" :rofl:

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 08:04 AM
Gotta love how some Bill fans are backpeddling now that one of our own players has character issues.

streetkings01
05-13-2008, 08:06 AM
Still, have you ever pulled a gun on your father?I pulled a knife out on my father! Me and my father dont have a relationship and he tried to play daddy one day and yell at me!

gil
05-13-2008, 08:07 AM
What does the NRA say - 'an armed society is a polite society?' - maybe he was just politely asking for condiments for a burger.

/thankful no one was hurt

TedMock
05-13-2008, 08:09 AM

My answer to that is "yes." I wanted us to go after Keyshawn last year and I made that clear to anybody who asked. Games on Sunday are nothing more than our entertainment. Of course in an ideal world we'd all like to have a bunch of perfect citizens representing our team, but that's just not the way things are. We all go to the movies and watch television even though some of the actors have had their share of legal issues, domestic issues, etc. It's the same thing with athletes. We don't know them, we're not friends with them, they are human and they do stupid things sometimes. I want the Bills to win. That's it. I don't care about the individual players and their personal lives. It's none of my business. I'm a season ticket holder, but I pay for the entertainment of the game on Sunday. I don't pay to hear about their personal lives. Just don't make a bunch of enemies in the locker room.

Having said all that, I also don't think anybody should forgive stupid behavior nor should anybody assume it was just another athlete being stupid. We don't know the facts of what happened. Maybe Hardy is just a jackass. Maybe his dad attacked him and he used the gun to deter more violent behavior. It could go either way.

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 08:15 AM
My answer to that is "yes." Games on Sunday are nothing more than our entertainment. Of course in an ideal world we'd all like to have a bunch of perfect citizens representing our team, but that's just not the way things are. We all go to the movies and watch television even though some of the actors have had their share of legal issues, domestic issues, etc. It's the same thing with athletes. We don't know them, we're not friends with them, they are human and they do stupid things sometimes. I want the Bills to win. That's it. I don't care about the individual players and their personal lives. It's none of my business. I'm a season ticket holder, but I pay for the entertainment of the game on Sunday. I don't pay to hear about their personal lives. Just don't make a bunch of enemies in the locker room.

Having said all that, I also don't think anybody should forgive stupid behavior nor should anybody assume it was just another athlete being stupid. We don't know the facts of what happened. Maybe Hardy is just a jackass. Maybe his dad attacked him and he used the gun to deter more violent behavior. It could go either way.

:clap: I agree.

The reason I asked the question was because most of the people on here were dead set against the Bills going after Moss or TO because of their character issues. Character doesn't win football games, talent wins football games. Would any Bill fan be *****ing about Moss if he had 23 TD rec. in a Bills uniform? I think not.

ddaryl
05-13-2008, 08:22 AM

that has to be the shallowest comment to this kind of situation I have ever heard.

If people really feel this way, that a pro sport and the ability to win is the only important thing then humanity and society has sunk even lower.

I'm sure there is a lot more to this story then the simple police report statement, but none the less, hardy needs to distance himself from his father if this is results of them being together.

I can imagine that his family is already spending his money for him, and that would piss anyone off, but none the less... he has to control the reaction and temper otherwise this could be just the beginning of a another Pacman / Ray Lewis debacle

Pride
05-13-2008, 08:24 AM
IMO this is inexcusable. Unless "dad" had a gun or other weapon, pulling a gun on your father is unacceptable. You have a 21 year old strong man and a 40+ year old father. A gun should only be needed when you are at a disadvantage or your life is in danger.

If we find out that it was just an argument that lead to this, then I would be afraid of what might happen when Hardy has a run-in the future if he is so quick to pull the gun.

I'll try to reserve judgment until we hear full details, but for now.. my man crush on Hardy has dwindled severely.

Mitchy moo
05-13-2008, 08:28 AM
If he gets charged with anything this Off-season, I think we should cut bait. I personally don't think a unproven NFL player is worth compromising their teams integrity.

don137
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
IMO this is inexcusable. Unless "dad" had a gun or other weapon, pulling a gun on your father is unacceptable. You have a 21 year old strong man and a 40+ year old father. A gun should only be needed when you are at a disadvantage or your life is in danger.

If we find out that it was just an argument that lead to this, then I would be afraid of what might happen when Hardy has a run-in the future if he is so quick to pull the gun.

I'll try to reserve judgment until we hear full details, but for now.. my man crush on Hardy has dwindled severely.
Agree 100%...We do not know all the facts so I can't crucify him however it does not sound good and his character is now being questioned.
It is his right to carry a gun but how you use it says a lot about the person.

Philagape
05-13-2008, 08:34 AM
There is a risk with any draft pick. There is nothing we can do excpet hope that all our players stay out of as much trouble as possible.

Except Hardy came with baggage. We all knew it.

This is why he wasn't on my radar before the draft. When the Bills took him, I gave them the benefit of the doubt that they had done their homework and interviews and determined what had happened was an isolated incident a long time ago and were confident that he had turned his life around.

But now ...

He's a powder keg that can go off at any time. This is why character matters in relation to football. Incidents can happen that can threaten one's football career. Good thing in Indiana or whatever the local jurisdiction is, this doesn't lead to charges, but somewhere else it may be a crime to point a gun at someone, and we've seen what happens to criminals in the NFL.

So, the question is, did the Bills honestly believe this was behind him, or did they just not care? If it's the latter, someone's head should roll.

THATHURMANATOR
05-13-2008, 08:36 AM

Yes.

THATHURMANATOR
05-13-2008, 08:37 AM
So, the question is, did the Bills honestly believe this was behind him, or did they just not care? If it's the latter, someone's head should roll.

Overeacting a bit huh?

He didn't even get charged with anything. Yes it is alarming but chill out. Unless he is charged or has another incident then who cares?

Philagape
05-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Overeacting a bit huh?

He didn't even get charged with anything. Yes it is alarming but chill out. Unless he is charged or has another incident then who cares?

You don't think two incidents raises the possibility that there may be another incident? That it shows something about this guy's temper? He wasn't charged because of where he was at the time.
You contradict yourself: you say to chill out, but you admit you're alarmed. You're trying really hard not to care because you don't care about anything.

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 08:43 AM
Why couldn't Hardy just get pulled over drunk like most of these players with character issues. Although wrong, it's something that many of us have done. Pulling a gun on someone is pretty bad.

feelthepain
05-13-2008, 08:47 AM
:lolpoint::fab:

theanswer74
05-13-2008, 08:49 AM

Is your father an ex-con? I might pull one if I'm in a fight with an ex-con.

THATHURMANATOR
05-13-2008, 08:51 AM
You don't think two incidents raises the possibility that there may be another incident? That it shows something about this guy's temper? He wasn't charged because of where he was at the time.
You contradict yourself: you say to chill out, but you admit you're alarmed. You're trying really hard not to care because you don't care about anything.
No I do think that but why would heads roll if the guy didnt even get charged with anything. Sure if he is jailed and can't play football then someone should answer for that.

Just saying you are jumping the gun on Heads rolling is all.

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 08:54 AM
leave it to the media to f things up by not releasing the reason why he pulled the gun. Let me ask you, if your father, in a fit of rage, threaten to kill you or say your mom, and you have the LEGAL right to carry a firearm and all other avenues were used to calm him down and those failed, would you not pull the weapon to "calm him down" with no intent to fire as a last resort?

Let's reserve judgement until the facts are known.
best post

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 08:55 AM
what else is new with Phil ?

Tatonka
05-13-2008, 08:55 AM
come on guys.. who has not had to pull out their gat and pistol whip a ***** or a drunk dad every now and again?

patmoran2006
05-13-2008, 08:57 AM
Not a good f'n start

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 08:58 AM
come on guys.. who has not had to pull out their gat and pistol whip a ***** or a drunk dad every now and again?
his dad is supposedly an ex con. James has supposedly had a hard life. While it's neither here nor there, I'm not gonna jump into conclusions without any facts.

Coach Sal
05-13-2008, 08:59 AM
Get his ass to Buffalo NOW and surround him with people who have HIS best interest in mind.

Once that happens, I'm confident there won't be anything to worry about with him.

THATHURMANATOR
05-13-2008, 09:00 AM
what else is new with Phil ?
Huh?

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
Get his ass to Buffalo NOW and surround him with people who have HIS best interest in mind.

Once that happens, I'm confident there won't be anything to worry about with him.
this was my first thought. HArd life? Get him out of there.

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Huh?
philagape jumping the gun.

Philagape
05-13-2008, 09:03 AM
No I do think that but why would heads roll if the guy didnt even get charged with anything. Sure if he is jailed and can't play football then someone should answer for that.

I said they should roll IF they didn't care about the character issue.

THATHURMANATOR
05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
I said they should roll IF they didn't care about the character issue.
Right but again who cares about that either until it affects his eligibility to play football? When it comes to that point is the time to reprimand someone.

Philagape
05-13-2008, 09:04 AM
Any legal people here who know whether pulling a gun on someone in the Buffalo area is a crime?

Philagape
05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Right but again who cares about that either until it affects his eligibility to play football? When it comes to that point is the time to reprimand someone.

I care, and obviously other people care here too. Someone who doesn't care about anything shouldn't go around saying "who cares" because there is no way you speak for anyone else.

FlyingDutchman
05-13-2008, 09:06 AM

so you say way til the extreme happens before red flags should be raised?

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM
Any legal people here who know whether pulling a gun on someone in the Buffalo area is a crime?

YOu don't have to be a lawyer to know that if it was illegal he'd be charged. He wasn't. If he felt his life was threatened it's not a problem either. We don't have the facts so we can't either condemn him or nominate him for the nobel prize.

FlyingDutchman
05-13-2008, 09:07 AM

dude, a situation like that is bigger than the game of football. thats pretty narrow minded

bigbub2352
05-13-2008, 09:09 AM
ignorant

patmoran2006
05-13-2008, 09:13 AM
Wys is going to have a 5,000 word field day with this.

Buffatexas
05-13-2008, 09:26 AM
best post

Thank ya sir!

trapezeus
05-13-2008, 09:32 AM
James Hardy, the former IU wide receiver just drafted by the Buffalo Bills, reportedly pulled a gun on his father during an argument, according to a police report filed Sunday with the football star’s name edited out.

No charges have been filed. The younger Hardy has a permit to carry a gun, and the police say they have no plans to pursue the matter further.

Officers were called to a home in the 2900 block of Weisser Park Avenue just before 1:30 p.m. Sunday by a woman who said a man was fighting with his father in her backyard.

The father was identified as James W. Hardy II, according to the report. The son, listed as a suspect with his name redacted from the report, was identified in police dispatch logs as 21-year-old James Hardy. The names of possible suspects are routinely blacked out of police reports provided to the public or media.

Police Chief Rusty York confirmed the younger Hardy was involved, but said because his father showed no signs of injury, there was no reason to pursue the matter further.

more...

http://www.journalgazette.net/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080513/SPORTS/805130306/tbd/

i thoroughly love that this newsworthy thread was started by Ron Burgundy.

as for the incident, looks like Hardy will have a really short career if these kind of incidents keep occuring.

someone else said this, but you give the guy a pass if its the only thing that's happened. but he has a rap sheet and he admits that his childhood was difficult. i don't know the details, but it sounds like stuff we can come to expect as long as he is a bill. Bah!

TheGhostofJimKelly
05-13-2008, 09:42 AM
You can be a homer and say it is nothing, but there is never anything good about stories like this. You can count me as concerned.

THATHURMANATOR
05-13-2008, 09:42 AM
I care, and obviously other people care here too. Someone who doesn't care about anything shouldn't go around saying "who cares" because there is no way you speak for anyone else.
So who should we fire? What would be the grounds for the firing, since Hardy has nothing charged against him?

mayotm
05-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Good. Enjoy reading it. I think I'll pass.

Philagape
05-13-2008, 09:52 AM
So who should we fire? What would be the grounds for the firing, since Hardy has nothing charged against him?

The grounds for the firing would be disregarding a factor that can affect a player's career. And the person fired would be whoever did that.
For now I'll still go with thinking they did consider it and honestly trusted that his criminal days are behind him.

The Spaz
05-13-2008, 09:58 AM
This sucks he is to be in buffalo in 3 days.

Tatonka
05-13-2008, 09:59 AM

who gives 2 ****s.

FlyingDutchman
05-13-2008, 10:03 AM
The Bills should look into getting this guy into anger management classes to mitegate his problems before we have a Chris Henry on our hands

Jan Reimers
05-13-2008, 10:03 AM
This sucks he is to be in buffalo in 3 days.
He should leave his gun - and his father - in Indiana

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 10:05 AM
He should leave his gun - and his father - in Indiana
I don't think his Indiana license/permit is legal here in NY.

Jan Reimers
05-13-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't think his Indiana license/permit is legal here in NY.
Let's hope he doesn't apply for one in Buffalo.

THATHURMANATOR
05-13-2008, 10:12 AM
The grounds for the firing would be disregarding a factor that can affect a player's career. And the person fired would be whoever did that.
For now I'll still go with thinking they did consider it and honestly trusted that his criminal days are behind him.
Then what is the problem? Lets hope Hardy gets his **** together

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Let's hope he doesn't apply for one in Buffalo.

It's almost like a security blanket for someone who's had a rough life and feared for his life. IMO, based on his past, I doubt he will be able to. NY permits are the hardest to get in the country. Then again , if he has a mindset of a gangbanger, he will find a way. He'll just have to ask Tank where he got his.

Jeff1220
05-13-2008, 10:25 AM
Fyi, what he did is definitely a felony in MD. My wife was on a jury for a case just like this.

EDS
05-13-2008, 10:32 AM
I really hope that Hardy had a reason for pulling a gun, because he should know that he is now in the spotlight as an NFL player to be.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 10:38 AM
He could of been charged with terroristic threats however if the father asked the DA not to press charges combined with Hardy being an NFL player he likely let it slide. But to think he didnt break any law is ridiculous, pulling a gun on somebody is a crime.

I think this is may be the most interesting/telling part of this whole situation;

HARDY NOT A CHARACTER RISK AS BILLS SEE IT: The Bills have done their due diligence on upwards of 500 players for the past 10 months and that includes Indiana WR James Hardy, who has a domestic incident and two-game team suspension in his college career. Said Hardy at the combine about his transgressions.

"As a young man I never had anyone to actually sit me down and tell me things I've done wrong, so I've learned from my mistakes," said Hardy. "I can honestly tell you as a man right here that I've made mistakes in the past and I've learned from them and they won't happen again in any other area I'm at. That's all I can do and just show them the actual person that I am. That's what coach Hep (Terry Hoeppner) talked about a lot. He told me to just show the world the type of man you are. That's all I can do."

The Bills don't believe Hardy to be a character risk.

“I think he had a rough upbringing," said Bills scout Tom Roth. "I don’t think he’s a bad kid at all. He just had a rough upbringing and that’s the way I see it. You can’t knock him for that. You have to give him some credit just for what he’s been through. I wouldn’t say he’s a character risk.”

For more check out Bills Roundup in the multimedia section.

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I really hope that Hardy had a reason for pulling a gun, because he should know that he is now in the spotlight as an NFL player to be.

I think he and JP should be roommates. JP will show him how to be armed with a broomstick.

The Spaz
05-13-2008, 10:39 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6074

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 10:43 AM
He could of been charged with terroristic threats however if the father asked the DA not to press charges combined with Hardy being an NFL player he likely let it slide.
this sounds 1 sided.

What if it was the other way around? Maybe he had reason to point the gun , let his Dad off the hook by not pressing charges to keep it on the down low.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 10:45 AM
this sounds 1 sided.

What if it was the other way around? Maybe he had reason to point the gun , let his Dad off the hook by not pressing charges to keep it on the down low.

No its called the law. If you pull on a gun on somebody for any reason other then self defense (which yes it could still be) you can and should be charged with a crime. So unless it was in self-defense and we have no reason to either believe or not believe that as of now, he did break the law.

Jan Reimers
05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
You can be a homer and say it is nothing, but there is never anything good about stories like this. You can count me as concerned.
I think this is the best post on this subject, and summarizes my thoughts exactly.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 10:46 AM
http://www.buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6074

That a way Bills, way to handle it :bf1: /sarcasm

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 10:48 AM
any reason other then self defense (which yes it could still be).So unless it was in self-defense and well, do you have any info on whether it was self defense or not?

you can and should be charged with a crime....we have no reason to either believe or not believe that as of now, he did break the law.

He's not in jail. The state didn't press charges. Until then there is NO crime.I think the DA would know more about the law than you do.

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 10:53 AM

So what were you doing on Mother's Day?

We know what Hardy was doing.

The Buffalo Bills released a statement Tuesday in response to a published report in the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette that Bills second-round pick James Hardy was allegedly involved in a verbal altercation with his father last Sunday in which police were called to the scene.

Buffatexas
05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
But to think he didnt break any law is ridiculous, pulling a gun on somebody is a crime.

I am not familiar with the laws where this happened but, in the state of Florida, the law protects you if you are a legally permitted weapons holder. If you feel that your life is in danger, you are allowed to not only pull your firearm but to fire it.

so to say that pulling a gun is a crime and a violation of the law is not correct.

again, lets get the facts before we jump to conclusions

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 10:55 AM
"As a young man I never had anyone to actually sit me down and tell me things I've done wrong, so I've learned from my mistakes," said Hardy.

Lame excuse. You shouldn't have to be told that certain things are wrong.

Dujek
05-13-2008, 10:57 AM

So, the Bills' trying to downplay the incident and defuse a situation which could develop around one of their top draft picks is a bad thing?

You don't know what they discussed with Hardy, and you don't know what they intend to discuss with him today, there's nothing in that release to get wound up about.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 10:58 AM
well, do you have any info on whether it was self defense or not?

He's not in jail. The state didn't press charges. Until then there is NO crime.I think the DA would know more about the law than you do.

As I said I do not, but nothing in any story reports anything to even have us believe that. Does that mean its not the case? No.

Everyday people break laws and aren't charged with them. Its not always about if a crime is committed or not.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 10:59 AM
I am not familiar with the laws where this happened but, in the state of Florida, the law protects you if you are a legally permitted weapons holder. If you feel that your life is in danger, you are allowed to not only pull your firearm but to fire it.

so to say that pulling a gun is a crime and a violation of the law is not correct.

again, lets get the facts before we jump to conclusions

As I preface in the post, unless you are pulling it in self defense it is a crime. I made that pretty clear.

Romes
05-13-2008, 11:00 AM

The Buffalo Bills released a statement Tuesday in response to a published report in the Fort Wayne Journal Gazette that Bills second-round pick James Hardy was allegedly involved in a verbal altercation with his father last Sunday in which police were called to the scene.

maybe he was just trying to give his mom what she wanted for mother's day... :idunno:

seriously though, i really hope this isn't a precursor of things to come with this guy

patmoran2006
05-13-2008, 11:00 AM
how some people are downplaying this is laughable. If this was Jerod Mayo, Vernon Gholsten or Jake Long who did this; you (some) guys would having a field day and talking all kinds of smack about that team.

Bottom line, this is embarassing to the organization, and it sheds a lot of light as to how a guy that seemingly had early first round talent physically lasted until pick #41. Lets just hope we dont have a Chris Henry on our hands.

acehole
05-13-2008, 11:01 AM
YOu don't have to be a lawyer to know that if it was illegal he'd be charged. He wasn't. If he felt his life was threatened it's not a problem either. We don't have the facts so we can't either condemn him or nominate him for the nobel prize.

You don't have to be a lawyer...but a 4th grader and older would know that.....

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 11:01 AM

I pull flowers and choclates on my mom, I know not the same effect as a gun.

acehole
05-13-2008, 11:02 AM
how some people are downplaying this is laughable. If this was Jerod Mayo, Vernon Gholsten or Jake Long who did this; you (some) guys would having a field day and talking all kinds of smack about that team.

Bottom line, this is embarassing to the organization, and it sheds a lot of light as to how a guy that seemingly had early first round talent physically lasted until pick #41. Lets just hope we dont have a Chris Henry on our hands.

Yea and you were the one praising them for having balls.

Naa I am not on every side of every issue.....

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM

They should be more like message board posters and jump to conclusions!

Very concering. Hopefully it gets taken care of and he is forced to take anger managment classes like was already suggested.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 11:03 AM
So, the Bills' trying to downplay the incident and defuse a situation which could develop around one of their top draft picks is a bad thing?

You don't know what they discussed with Hardy, and you don't know what they intend to discuss with him today, there's nothing in that release to get wound up about.

Umm yes, this isnt something you should spin to protect somebody about. The guy pulled a gun on his father (no we still dont know all the details) thats a very scary reality to think about. They should condemn the action and await the release of all the details before attempting to sweep it under the rug.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 11:05 AM

Very concering. Hopefully it gets taken care of and he is forced to take anger managment classes like was already suggested.

I dont think condeming the pulling of firearms on family members is too out of line or at the very least waiting to comment till all the details come out.

It could turn out that his dad attacked his mom and he was protecting her, or it could turn out that his Dad was telling him what to do, they got in a verbal argument and he pulled a gun on him. Either way you dont just sweep this under the rub like its nothing.

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
Umm yes, this isnt something you should spin to protect somebody about. The guy pulled a gun on his father (no we still dont know all the details) thats a very scary reality to think about. They should condemn the action and await the release of all the details before attempting to sweep it under the rug.

They should find out what happened and deal with internally, making minimal public statements.

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 11:08 AM
I dont think condeming the pulling of firearms on family members is too out of line or at the very least waiting to comment till all the details come out.

It could turn out that his dad attacked his mom and he was protecting her, or it could turn out that his Dad was telling him what to do, they got in a verbal argument and he pulled a gun on him. Either way you dont just sweep this under the rub like its nothing.

I don't think they are doing that.

They need to make some public statement immediately and deal with the matter as it progresses. Since we (and possibly they) know very few details, it is better to find out the real information before make definite statements and reactions.

Regardless, this guy needs to realize that it seems as if his family is bad news and he needs to stay away.

patmoran2006
05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
Yea and you were the one praising them for having balls.

Naa I am not on every side of every issue.....
at what point of this post did i say the bills made a mistake by taking hardy? In fact as I said a few times, I had Hardy as my 2nd best WR in the draft, behind only Limas Sweed. who I STILL cant believe lasted that long

my point is how some people are downplaying this like it doesnt mean ****.. it does

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 11:10 AM
It could turn out that his dad attacked his mom and he was protecting her,.

:up:

or it could turn out that his Dad was telling him what to do, they got in a verbal argument and he pulled a gun on him.

:down:

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 11:12 AM
They should find out what happened and deal with internally, making minimal public statements.

That's not an option, its like when a government agency has a scandal of course they'd prefer to handle it internally but the public wont allow it. Not in this day and age of media coverage.

DraftBoy
05-13-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't think they are doing that.

They need to make some public statement immediately and deal with the matter as it progresses. Since we (and possibly they) know very few details, it is better to find out the real information before make definite statements and reactions.

Regardless, this guy needs to realize that it seems as if his family is bad news and he needs to stay away.

Id say that this is not making an indication that they plan to do anything;

“We have spoken to law enforcement officials and they have informed us that they looked into this and have no plans to pursue the matter any further. We also spoke to James last night and will continue to speak with him today, but indications are that this matter has been resolved.”

I dont think this matter has been resolved at all, do you?

The Spaz
05-13-2008, 11:19 AM

“We have spoken to law enforcement officials and they have informed us that they looked into this and have no plans to pursue the matter any further. We also spoke to James last night and will continue to speak with him today, but indications are that this matter has been resolved.”

It seems it has been resolved by the police.

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 11:20 AM

If the cops are not filing charges, there won't be much left to do.

And this part: "will continue to speak with him today", makes it sound as if the Bills are looking more into it.

Fact is, we don't know the details. Was there a physical threat? Is there more to the story we don't know?

I agree it sounds bad on the surface and there is no good to come out of it, but let's not make a final, rash, rushed decision on this.

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 11:21 AM
As I said I do not, but nothing in any story reports anything to even have us believe that. Does that mean its not the case? No.

Everyday people break laws and aren't charged with them. Its not always about if a crime is committed or not.
If the state thought there was a crime, there would be charges. there aren't any. Either the dad or James could be at fault here. No one knows for sure so if you're going to make asumptions make sure you're making them on behalf on both sides involved.

gr8slayer
05-13-2008, 11:21 AM
He's off to a great start :snicker:

Let's get rid of Evans, Hardy will surely be able to supplant him with ease.

Philagape
05-13-2008, 11:37 AM
This incident alone really isn't the point. No charges were filed, Bills consider it resolved, and therefore the league likely will too.
The point is, this kid is more at risk of getting into trouble than most players. It's the potential for future incidents that's concerning. He got his second chance, and now he's on his third.

camelcowboy
05-13-2008, 11:46 AM
Just how bad of a guy can he be if he legally owns a pistol anyway? They don't give those permits out in the US without some homework on the person. You folks don't realize it but if the police are shrugging it off its probally not a big deal. Its just a case of a busy body neighbor blowing things out of porportion. He hasn't committed any crime.

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 11:49 AM

:up:

blackonyx89
05-13-2008, 11:51 AM
Unreal, it's so sad that many black athletes grow up without their fathers, but you gotta rise above that man. Be like Shaquille O' Neal, he did well without his dad. Another thing is I get sick and tired of these guys and the media always playing the violin when it comes to how my daddy wasn't there for me. You're a grown man and you have to take care of the ones that care for you Sheesh! My father wasn't the greatest but I'm not using him as a scapegoat and living an anti social lifestyle. Grow up!!! Is that worth throwing away a possible great career James? No.

camelcowboy
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
This incident alone really isn't the point. No charges were filed, Bills consider it resolved, and therefore the league likely will too.
The point is, this kid is more at risk of getting into trouble than most players. It's the potential for future incidents that's concerning. He got his second chance, and now he's on his third. A chance? You act like he actually broke the law. Listen get this kid to buffalo and he'll then be bored like every kid in their 20's around here. In buffalo he'll be like all our other knuckle heads we have drafted helping increase the population of western new york through bastard children.

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 11:55 AM
Unreal, it's so sad that many black athletes grow up without their fathers, but you gotta rise above that man. Be like Shaquille O' Neal, he did well without his dad. Another thing is the face I get sick and tired of these guys and the media always playing the violin when it comes to how my daddy wasn't there for me. You're a grown man and you have to take care of the ones that care for you. My father wasn't the greatest but I'm not using him as a scapegoat and living an anti social lifestyle. Grow up!!!
We don't know what his situation was like compared to yours. I agree that he's old enough to know right from wrong but more often than not, your childhood or past makes you the person that your are. Some are able to overcome them some aren't.

Some things like trauma can weigh more than ones ability to figure out right from wrong.

gr8slayer
05-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Unreal, it's so sad that many black athletes grow up without their fathers, but you gotta rise above that man. Be like Shaquille O' Neal, he did well without his dad. Another thing is I get sick and tired of these guys and the media always playing the violin when it comes to how my daddy wasn't there for me. You're a grown man and you have to take care of the ones that care for you Sheesh! My father wasn't the greatest but I'm not using him as a scapegoat and living an anti social lifestyle. Grow up!!! Is that worth throwing away a possible great career James? No.
This argument is such bull****. My father died when I was three and I've never felt the need to commit a crime. It's a sorry ass excuse to be a waste of a human being.

This is not meant to scald you, I hear it every day on talk radio or ESPN or any other network. Pacmans dumbass tried to pull this crap in his opening press conference with the Cowboys, I wanted to slap the **** out of him.

Ultra Chimp 1
05-13-2008, 12:05 PM
His dad, who had a better vantage point then the old lady who called 911, said he did not pull out a gun.

This could have been a normal argument. No one else's business if you ask me. Maybe the old lady saw something that she didn't.

Gee, I didn't know it was a character issue to argue with your dad.

:rolleyes:

camelcowboy
05-13-2008, 12:07 PM
Unreal, it's so sad that many black athletes grow up without their fathers, but you gotta rise above that man. Be like Shaquille O' Neal, he did well without his dad. Another thing is I get sick and tired of these guys and the media always playing the violin when it comes to how my daddy wasn't there for me. You're a grown man and you have to take care of the ones that care for you Sheesh! My father wasn't the greatest but I'm not using him as a scapegoat and living an anti social lifestyle. Grow up!!! Is that worth throwing away a possible great career James? No.Its not that simple, take it from a guy who just spent four months teaching in a inner-city school district. Often the kids with no fathers often lose their mothers due to fact that they have to work 2-3 jobs to support the family. These are broken homes, often older siblings have to raise their brothers and sisters. Lack of guidance in their lives usually means they look to their peers for guidance it most likely in the form of gangs. Its a complicated situation, kids that need the most receive the least. A generation of kids raised by television, and by other kids who have equally messed up lives. Just telling a kid, which Hardy is, to grow up is easy to do on a message board, but its hard to erase learned behavior. I believe the bills think they have a strong morally strong core and that its strong enough to positively influence players with questionable character. We will certainly see.

raphael120
05-13-2008, 12:10 PM
Either way, dude can't help us out if he's in jail for half the season or gets a suspension. I'm pissed off at him right now because if he does get in trouble and gets suspended...guess what...the only addition to the offense is suspended which means our offense is JUST as sorry as it was last season.

Goodbye redzone threat, goodbye playmaking WR, and goodbye playoff hopes if his ass is in trouble.

Dude needs to fix his problems, season hasn't even started yet and **** like this is already going down, I don't care what the story is, but what happens when Hardy is drunk or some **** and has his gun and does something stupid. Dont be in situations where you need a gun, and if his father is that much of a problem, file a restraining order or do something legally so that you dont look like the moron brandishing a gun for stupid reasons.

camelcowboy
05-13-2008, 12:11 PM
This argument is such bull****. My father died when I was three and I've never felt the need to commit a crime. It's a sorry ass excuse to be a waste of a human being.

This is not meant to scald you, I hear it every day on talk radio or ESPN or any other network. Pacmans dumbass tried to pull this crap in his opening press conference with the Cowboys, I wanted to slap the **** out of him. Is this slayer? Your right about the fact that this is not a rule many children turn out ok, but to say the argument is complete bull**** is not completely accurate.

blackonyx89
05-13-2008, 12:13 PM

This is not meant to scald you, I hear it every day on talk radio or ESPN or any other network. Pacmans dumbass tried to pull this crap in his opening press conference with the Cowboys, I wanted to slap the **** out of him.

But you were three and you didn't know your dad all that well, James is 20 something and should know better and he knew his dad was in jail. He needs alot of anger management counseling and a strong faith in Christ to straighten him out!!!

gr8slayer
05-13-2008, 12:15 PM
Is this slayer? Your right about the fact that this is not a rule many children turn out ok, but to say the argument is complete bull**** is not completely accurate.
Yeah, I'm the artist formerly known as Slayer......

I understand that in theory it's not completely accurate but I know more than enough people who lost their fathers at an early age, had a mother working two jobs or a mother who was a crack addict and still turned out great.

We are a generation of excuses and we'll be the reason our fine country goes to hell. I'm tired of hearing excuses, if you **** up then YOU **** up, not your dead father, not your crack addict for a mother, not Roger Goodell, not _______, YOU ****ed up.

I just get tired of simple minded morons making excuses for their actions and blaming it on everything but themselves.

/rant off

historypete
05-13-2008, 12:21 PM
I heard on the way in to work today that his father spent most of his life in jail. So who knows what the issue was about, but the team needs to provide some major intervention for this kid or else he might turn out to be another Chris Henry. All the talent in the world, but on the completely wrong path. It is probably best that this guy gets out of Hardy's life. You hear all the time that athletes who hang with thugs must separate themselves from their friends when they turn pro. Well it looks like in this kid Hardy has to separate himself from his father. I can't imagine that being easy, but if he wants a career he must do this. It is the team's obligation to help in any way they can.

Overall though, this is not a good omen. I hope it is a blip on the screen, but it must present a ton of red flags.

Michael82
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Oh God, sounds like a typical Bengals player.... :ill:

ddaryl
05-13-2008, 12:31 PM
and a strong faith in Christ to straighten him out!!!

bull****

what a huge crock of **** that statement is....

there are a billion or more people on this earth that live perfectly fine lives without "Christ"

but you are correct with the history of the Crusades, the inqusition, and witch burnings etc... Hardy would never have done this if he just had a stronger belief in Christ.

The Answer
05-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Looks like we have two gunslingers on our roster now.

Edwards and Hardy (Sorry couldn't resist):D:

~The Answer

The Answer
05-13-2008, 12:34 PM
On a more serious note - this is definitely a legit concern if these reports are accurate. And this is only going to add fuel to the fire that Hardy was a major risk given his character concerns and history of similar incidents.

Regardless he is a major talent that could have easily been drafted early in the first round if not for questions of character. Remember Randy Moss?

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Looks like we have two gunslingers on our roster now.

Edwards and Hardy (Sorry couldn't resist):D:

~The Answer
that was actually funny Troll :up:

patmoran2006
05-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I REMEMBER moss setting a NFL record for most TD catches in a season last year too

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Regardless he is a major talent that could have easily been drafted early in the first round if not for questions of character. Remember Randy Moss?

~The Answer

:pray: Let James Hardy have half the career Randy Moss has had.

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 12:37 PM
that was actually funny Troll :up:

:poop: Can we please stay on topic. :D:

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Can we please stay on topic. :D:sorry, my bad. Back to topic. JP vs. Trent :rockon:

The Answer
05-13-2008, 12:39 PM
:pray: Let James Hardy have half the career Randy Moss has had.

Let's hope. There is a lot of similarities between the two in terms of physical build and ability. Also both played on college teams that weren't loaded with offensive talent, yet put up major numbers.

I think once Hardy is in camp and around positive teamates and coaches it will help his cause significantly. Because if not he's going to have a very brief NFL career.

~The Answer

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 12:40 PM
sorry, my bad. Back to topic. JP vs. Trent :rockon:
No, No, you still have it wrong.

The topic is gun control. :up:

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 12:42 PM
No, No, you still have it wrong.

The topic is gun control. :up:

I have 2 .40 glocks , 1 Walther PPk and 2 .45 hybrids

:jk:

raphael120
05-13-2008, 12:53 PM
bull****

there are a billion or more people on this earth that live perfectly fine lives without "Christ"

but you are correct with the history of the Crusades, the inqusition, and witch burnings etc... Hardy would never have done this if he just had a stronger belief in Christ.
how about a stronger belief in MORALS

TigerJ
05-13-2008, 12:56 PM
Time to put the toys away, James, and concentrate on football.

I agree If I were Dick Jauron, I would tell Hardy the smart thing to do would be to dump the gun. If you don't have the emotional self control to keep from pointing it at someone, you may not have the self control to keep from pulling the trigger. He's better off without it.

blackonyx89
05-13-2008, 12:58 PM
bull****

You are correct. :nod:

Michael82
05-13-2008, 12:58 PM
Marv Levy has to be shaking his head right now. Just when we finally had a team full of good character guys. Now we have another *******, Bengals like player. :ill:

tat2dmike77
05-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Who here hasn't pulled a gun on thier dad?

Michael82
05-13-2008, 01:21 PM
:rofl:

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Marv Levy has to be shaking his head right now. Just when we finally had a team full of good character guys. Now we have another *******, Bengals like player. :ill:

Mike, you are over-reacting without knowing all of the facts yet.

Bert102176
05-13-2008, 01:25 PM
really nice to get these high character guys in here isn't it

Bert102176
05-13-2008, 01:28 PM

my dad died when I was 10 and I would never even think of pulling a gun on another person

Michael82
05-13-2008, 01:28 PM
Mike, you are over-reacting without knowing all of the facts yet.
I don't give a **** if it's overreacting. The guy still pulled a gun out and pointed it at his father. I don't care how much my dad pisses me off, I would never do that. hell, I would never do that to anyone. :shakeno:

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 01:32 PM
I don't give a **** if it's overreacting. The guy still pulled a gun out and pointed it at his father. I don't care how much my dad pisses me off, I would never do that. hell, I would never do that to anyone. :shakeno:

1. We don't know if he did pull a gun. It is alledged and the father denies it happened.
2. Was his dad hitting his Mom? Hitting him? Threatening violence?

All questions we do not know the answer to.

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 01:41 PM
Why does he even feel the need to carry a gun?

If you feel it is necessary to carry a gun then I think it might be time to think about change of location.

ParanoidAndroid
05-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Pulling a gun during a verbal argument does not sound much like self-defense, but we don't know for sure. I, personally, find it hard to believe that it was necessary. Pulling a gun during an argument is not something a reasonable person does. If James Sr. decided to press charges, it would be criminal threatening with a deadly weapon which is a felony. No matter how you want to spin it, this is not good news for him and the Bills.

Michael82
05-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Pulling a gun during a verbal argument does not sound much like self-defense, but we don't know for sure. I, personally, find it hard to believe that it was necessary. Pulling a gun during an argument is not something a reasonable person does. If James Sr. decided to press charges, it would be criminal threatening with a deadly weapon which is a felony. No matter how you want to spin it, this is not good news for him and the Bills.
Excellent post! :bf1:

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 02:25 PM
Why does he even feel the need to carry a gun?

If you feel it is necessary to carry a gun then I think it might be time to think about change of location.
some kids don't have the ability to do so. Football may have been his way out. Maybe getting drafted by the bills is a start.

historypete
05-13-2008, 02:33 PM
1. We don't know if he did pull a gun. It is alledged and the father denies it happened.
2. Was his dad hitting his Mom? Hitting him? Threatening violence?

All questions we do not know the answer to.

I would argue the reason his father denied it was because his son is his meal ticket. If Hardy was arrested after just being drafted that is probably going to cause a whole lot of contratcual problems.

As for you second point you are absolutely correct. We don't know what is going on, and since the PD is dropping the matter no one ever will. One thing I will be doing when working camp this year is seeing how often Hardy's dad is around and how they interact. However this ends though, it is not a good sign that these issues are popping up this early.

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 02:37 PM
I would argue the reason his father denied it was because his son is his meal ticket. If Hardy was arrested after just being drafted that is probably going to cause a whole lot of contratcual problems.

Very possible but still assumption.

ddaryl
05-13-2008, 02:38 PM
how about a stronger belief in MORALS

Morals are a good start, but some people feel certain things are immoral and others believe that certain things are not immoral.

its a tricky line. I think we all agree that murder and violence are pretty immoral, accept in a self defense situation.

I think what Hardy has done demonstrates anger issues, Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering, and suffering is the path to the dark side.

I sincerely hope James figures this out because it will consume him and it will destroy him, his career and everything he cares about if he is not careful.

mayotm
05-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Hardy wasn't charged, let alone convicted of anything. So much for innocent until proven guilty on this site. None of us were there. We don't know if Hardy pulled a gun, pointed a gun, etc. How do we know that the neighbor who called the police isn't full of crap? Some of you are too quick to judge people without first hearing all the facts. I'm certainly not pleased that Hardy was involved in some kind of altercation. However, I'm not yet ready to compare him to Pacman, O.J. or anybody else until I hear all the facts.

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 02:45 PM
Morals are a good start, but some people feel certain things are immoral and others believe that certain things are not immoral.

besides, he already stated no one was around to teach him right or wrong.

Mitchy moo
05-13-2008, 02:53 PM
The police just don't show up at your house on their own, there was a problem. I know that the police have a reason for coming and to not really even be signed player yet leads me to believe there has to be a conduct clause added to his contract that if he drops the ball in any capacity we can cut bait. The last thing we need is a hood that can't even keep his S- straight on Mothers day, my god how embarrasing. Wait until July 4th gets here, he going to shoot his big gun off.

We drafted a criminal type from a criminal family, thug life is all I see thus far.

Michael82
05-13-2008, 03:03 PM
I think what Hardy has done demonstrates anger issues, Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering, and suffering is the path to the dark side.

:rofl: I love the Star Wars analogy! :bf1:

It definitely fits here. He has a lot of anger and if that turns into hate, he might be pulling the trigger next time and then the Bills will suffer as he'll be in jail or at least suspended. :ill:

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 03:08 PM
Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering, and suffering is the path to the dark side.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n115/Ricjon69/coolyoda.jpg

Philagape
05-13-2008, 03:12 PM
If it was self-defense .... A 6-foot-5 professional athlete can't take his old man without a gun???

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 03:16 PM
If it was self-defense .... A 6-foot-5 professional athlete can't take his old man without a gun???
there was a gun involved? The father denies it. Maybe Philagape has inside info too.

Johnny Bugmenot
05-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Didn't something exactly like this happen with Marshawn Lynch a year ago? Nothing came of it.

I doubt anything will come of this.

Marvelous
05-13-2008, 03:26 PM
This sucks. WTF kind of animal pulls a gun on his father? Or on anyone for that matter?

Bill Brasky
05-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Police Chief Rusty York

sweetest name ever

raphael120
05-13-2008, 04:01 PM
This sucks. WTF kind of animal pulls a gun on his father? Or on anyone for that matter?

Maybe they mistook his giant pointing hand for a gun...

SabreEleven
05-13-2008, 04:42 PM
This sounds worse...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8098806/Woman-told-police-Bills-WR-beat-up-father

coastal
05-13-2008, 04:44 PM
I think I'd rather have the pot smoker from Ok. State at this point.

coastal
05-13-2008, 04:46 PM
btw... if the Bills want this little investment to pan out, they better sink some resources in the terms of mental health counseling onto the whole damn family.

either that or keep them all medicated.

Illmatic15
05-13-2008, 04:53 PM
Who knows how his dad his, he might be the biggest pr*ck in the world...

And I would have still taken Hardy if this had happened before the draft anyways..

Johnny Bugmenot
05-13-2008, 05:12 PM
This sounds worse...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8098806/Woman-told-police-Bills-WR-beat-up-father
This is all on some woman's testimony?

Check to see if she received any payments from the New England Patriots management...

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 05:54 PM
I think I'd rather have the pot smoker from Ok. State at this point.

He is still out there, 'cause ain't nobody signing him.

FlyingDutchman
05-13-2008, 05:56 PM
He is still out there, 'cause ain't nobody signing him.

he signed with the iggles

Mike13
05-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I heard his dad wasnt exactly a stand up individual.
But thats no excuse

Ingtar33
05-13-2008, 06:20 PM
he had a permit for the firearm.

that's better then 99% of pro athletes.

that's the good side.

the bad side is the story. god what a disgusting story.

X-Era
05-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Hardy wasn't charged, let alone convicted of anything. So much for innocent until proven guilty on this site. None of us were there. We don't know if Hardy pulled a gun, pointed a gun, etc. How do we know that the neighbor who called the police isn't full of crap? Some of you are too quick to judge people without first hearing all the facts. I'm certainly not pleased that Hardy was involved in some kind of altercation. However, I'm not yet ready to compare him to Pacman, O.J. or anybody else until I hear all the facts.

Gotta agree, if this was any sort of a real matter, charges would have been filed.

At this point, without any evidence, this is nothing more than heresay which is worth nothing.

That said, Im sure the Bills will probe Hardy a bit further on this and try to get to the bottom of it.

The Bills will have the most information out of all of us at least, and if they see no real issue, thats good enough for me.

BillsNick
05-13-2008, 07:07 PM
This will all blow over when camp starts

LABillsFan
05-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Let me ask this, is the neighbor exactly sure what was going on? Fighting and arguing are 2 totally different things. Did she see everything from the begining or catch it in the middle of things. She also declined further comment, why?

HHURRICANE
05-13-2008, 08:40 PM
Hardy is a dumb-ass. There is nothing redeeming about this story.

Not getting a veteran WR is looking like a big mistake!!

Dr. Lecter
05-13-2008, 08:43 PM
Hardy is a dumb-ass. There is nothing redeeming about this story.

Not getting a veteran WR is looking like a big mistake!!

Yeah, because there were so many out there and we have the entire story on this 21 year old kid.

HHURRICANE
05-13-2008, 08:48 PM
Yeah, because there were so many out there and we have the entire story on this 21 year old kid.

21 year old kid + fire arm + woman beater = Don't need to know the rest of the story.

Stay out of trouble when NFL career is on the line. Period.

TacklingDummy
05-13-2008, 08:51 PM
21 year old kid + fire arm + woman beater = Don't need to know the rest of the story.

Stay out of trouble when NFL career is on the line. Period.

It won't matter to me as long as he is standing in the endzone this year with at least 9 TD receptions.

But if he only scores 1 TD, :wtf: were the Bills thinking drafting this kid with character issues?

Romes
05-13-2008, 08:52 PM
Let me ask this, is the neighbor exactly sure what was going on? Fighting and arguing are 2 totally different things. Did she see everything from the begining or catch it in the middle of things. She also declined further comment, why?

All good questions. The father also said that nothing happened and it was no big deal.

Clearly this has just as much potential of being absolutely nothing as it does to be a very concerning development.

Goobylal
05-13-2008, 08:53 PM
What a non-story! I doubt this 73-year old coot even saw a real gun. Not that it wouldn't surprise me to see Hardy pull one on his deadbeat, drug-dealing, gold-digging father. Just keep Senior out of Buffalo and Junior out of Indiana and things will be fine.

HHURRICANE
05-13-2008, 08:55 PM
All good questions. The father also said that nothing happened and it was no big deal.

Clearly this has just as much potential of being absolutely nothing as it does to be a very concerning development.

Yeah, no one has ever recanted a story after the fact.

Romes
05-13-2008, 09:00 PM
Yeah, no one has ever recanted a story after the fact.

Who knows if he is telling the truth...

I guess only Hardy Jr and Sr.

HHURRICANE
05-13-2008, 09:02 PM
Who knows if he is telling the truth...

I guess only Hardy Jr and Sr.

Any story with a rookie player and a gun is a problem.

Goobylal
05-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Hopefully Goodell does the same bangup job he did with the Spygate debacle, but this time realizes there's really nothing, and DOES nothing. I think Marvin Harrison is in more trouble than Hardy will ever be, regarding their gun incidents.

Romes
05-13-2008, 09:06 PM
Any story with a rookie player and a gun is a problem.

I agree. :up:

Its the magnitude of the problem we don't know.

HHURRICANE
05-13-2008, 09:10 PM
I agree. :up:

Its the magnitude of the problem we don't know.

Agreed. I hope it blows over and he turns out to be a great player for us. He was my favorite pick in the draft.

However, I liked Hargrove and thought he was over his problems from the Rams and we saw what that got us.

tat2dmike77
05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
I think some of you need to look in the mirror before spewing about morals. Maybe you have never pulled a gun on anyone but i guarentie no one here is a saint including me. The key word in the thread title is ALLEGEDLY. There is such thing as due process but i guess most of you have made your mind up about the issue. This is the problem now the court of public opinion is more important then anything to people. Obviouslly it was not a big deal since no charges are being filed for whatever reason.

Many of you have stated that we don't know all the facts. Were the 2 of them arguing, was the mother threatened? We don't know at all. For those of you saying why is he carrying a gun? Did you forget what happened to Sean Taylor or even more recent Rashad Mendenhall?

Before we slaughter this guy and call him a thug why not wait for all the facts to come out. But then again most of you were calling Leodis a thug because of how he sounded when he was interviewed.

Goobylal
05-13-2008, 09:40 PM
After hearing more reports, I'm convinced that Hardy removed the gun from it's holster, didn't point it at his father, but was making a statement to his dad that "you don't want a piece of me." Given the history of both, James is a saint compared to his father.

Patti120
05-13-2008, 09:57 PM
I think it was probably more likened to an old school western film. They both probably were touting cowboy hats, belt buckles, cowboys boots and from there they probably counted off a certain # of steps turned around and waited for the first one to make a move. I'm sure that immediately before this that James was in a brothel man handling at least one of the women. Maybe it was the actions in the brothel that led up to this ho down.

Ultra Chimp 1
05-13-2008, 10:50 PM
The fight was obviously about Hardy's family confronting the reality and sudden rise of a young black kid to the NFL.

Either way, it's no one's business.

raphael120
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
The thing that bothers me is his family seems like a piece of ****, especially his dad...now this bad supporting cast has a big money making target to try to take advantage of. I feel bad for the dude...he was raised wrong, never taught to make the right decisions and now he has a big ass pile of money thrown at him and still has really no guidance and probably has all those bad influences trying to bum money off the dude. Let's hope he finds some guidance in Buffalo man...

Goobylal
05-13-2008, 11:44 PM
The thing that bothers me is his family seems like a piece of ****, especially his dad...now this bad supporting cast has a big money making target to try to take advantage of. I feel bad for the dude...he was raised wrong, never taught to make the right decisions and now he has a big ass pile of money thrown at him and still has really no guidance and probably has all those bad influences trying to bum money off the dude. Let's hope he finds some guidance in Buffalo man...
As the 41st overall pick, he can expect a 4-year ~$4M deal with a ~$1.6M signing bonus. Certainly decent money, but not enough for all the gold-diggers.

yordad
05-14-2008, 01:50 AM
Bottom line, it took 11 pages for me to respond, but as long as he stays on the field, I honestly couldn't care less. I'm not paying him to be a role model, I'm paying him to catch TDs. No charges = no timeoff field = who gives a sh!^?

Philagape
05-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Hardy's statement:

“I realize what the public perception could be pertaining to this incident, however that was not the reality of the situation,” he said. “This situation that has been blown out of proportion has been very hurtful and frustrating for me and my father. There was a misunderstanding and a misinterpretation of the situation. I would like to first apologize to the fans of Buffalo and the Bills organization for any distractions this may have caused.

“I would also like to apologize to my fans in Indiana and the children who look up to me because it has been hard on me and I know it’s been equally hard on them to hear something of this nature. I do understand that this opportunity with me being drafted by the Buffalo Bills is a blessing and a privilege and not a right. So I ask that my fans just continue to keep me in your prayers and I will continue to strive to be the best I can be on and off the field.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/346451.html

DraftBoy
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Hardy's statement:

“I realize what the public perception could be pertaining to this incident, however that was not the reality of the situation,” he said. “This situation that has been blown out of proportion has been very hurtful and frustrating for me and my father. There was a misunderstanding and a misinterpretation of the situation. I would like to first apologize to the fans of Buffalo and the Bills organization for any distractions this may have caused.

“I would also like to apologize to my fans in Indiana and the children who look up to me because it has been hard on me and I know it’s been equally hard on them to hear something of this nature. I do understand that this opportunity with me being drafted by the Buffalo Bills is a blessing and a privilege and not a right. So I ask that my fans just continue to keep me in your prayers and I will continue to strive to be the best I can be on and off the field.”

That doesn't say anything! I hate stupid press statements like this. We know you'll say its been over blown. We know you'll say pray for me, we know you'll say you are sorry. Either give us something new, or just stay silent on it. I hate handlers because of stupid crap like this. This is no way a criticism of Hardy but rather of his handlers.

Mitchy moo
05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Hardy's statement:

Well I feel better now, put the gun in a case and move to Buffalo. Take a toothbrush, your favorite shoes and leave the "crew" behind.

Romes
05-14-2008, 08:39 AM
That doesn't say anything! I hate stupid press statements like this. We know you'll say its been over blown. We know you'll say pray for me, we know you'll say you are sorry. Either give us something new, or just stay silent on it. I hate handlers because of stupid crap like this. This is no way a criticism of Hardy but rather of his handlers.

He doesn't need to explain what happened to us. The best thing for him to do is apologize and not **** up like that again. He got the first part right.

historypete
05-14-2008, 09:24 AM
As the 41st overall pick, he can expect a 4-year ~$4M deal with a ~$1.6M signing bonus. Certainly decent money, but not enough for all the gold-diggers.

If I get 1.6 million in my banking account I can do some damage with that, and I'm responsible with my money. This is not to say Hardy isn't, but some of his handlers might not be, and Dad is included int that. It is going to be extremely tough, but this kid has to get away from him. He should probably live in Buffalo and get the full help of the organization. Clearly, Hardy needs all the help and support he can get because things are starting to snowball. Once he gets that cash, it might get better, but with everyone he knows coming to him with their hands stretched out it will put him in situations that may boil over.

DraftBoy
05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
He doesn't need to explain what happened to us. The best thing for him to do is apologize and not **** up like that again. He got the first part right.

Ummm...yes he does, we are the ones paying his salary.

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Ummm...yes he does, we are the ones paying his salary.

You are?

Is this a weekly payroll deduction or a donation?

DraftBoy
05-14-2008, 09:41 AM
You are?

Is this a weekly payroll deduction or a donation?

With the way they have been playing I consider it a charitable donation and write it off at the end of the year.

Romes
05-14-2008, 10:01 AM
With the way they have been playing I consider it a charitable donation and write it off at the end of the year.

Agree to disagree on this point.

DraftBoy
05-14-2008, 10:04 AM

Agree to disagree on this point.

Fair Enough.

TacklingDummy
05-14-2008, 11:31 AM
James "Lawrence Phillips" Hardy

HHURRICANE
05-14-2008, 12:31 PM
Can I just be upset that he was carrying a gun and pulled it out of a holster during a fight.

That's really enough for me to think he's an idiot.

DraftBoy
05-14-2008, 01:27 PM
Can I just be upset that he was carrying a gun and pulled it out of a holster during a fight.

That's really enough for me to think he's an idiot.

I think thats a pretty reasonable reaction.

DrGraves
05-14-2008, 01:32 PM
no one should ever point a gun at anyone. but at least this kids got some attitude and hopefully brings it to the field on sunday, because asides from beast mode, no one on this team does.

SeatownBillsFan21
05-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Good we need some tough guy on O