PDA

View Full Version : Bills Heavy CB Investment By Design

justasportsfan
05-13-2008, 02:52 PM
"It was very much by design," said Bills head coach Dick Jauron of the team's cornerback acquisitions. "Actually going into free agency we felt like we had to get a veteran corner and in the draft we had to find three."

Buffalo covered all their bases with respect to their cornerback needs signing veteran free agent Will James in March before drafting McKelvin (1st), Reggie Corner (4th) and Kennard Cox (7th).

The Bills hoped to draft at least two corners, but were presented with the opportunity to take Cox and didn't blink.

"It could have been two drafted players and a college free agent at that position, but when Kennard was still present, we really thought a lot of him as a player and couldn't pass that up at that time," said Jauron. "So it ended up being three drafted players and we're really happy with it."

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6077

raphael120
05-13-2008, 03:58 PM
At first, I hated the drafting of 3 CBs, but the more and more I think about it...the more and more I realize Greer is decent, but he's not a starter...

If Youboty is still on the roster come regular season I will be surprised, he's proven nothing. McGee is a very average #1 CB...I think McKelvin will eventually be the one taking on the #1 WRs come '09. Will James is a question mark also...

So we have depth now, but I think drafting 3 was a little overboard, but really...the dude drafted in the late 7th (Cox is it?)...i mean...you have to be very picky to scrutinize a 7th round pick.

I think now we should be stacked at CB, so that's off the checklist. And HOPEFULLY WR will be too...We got Steve Johnson who should be a good 4th or 5th and Hardy (if he stays out of trouble)...we addressed a bunch of needs and infused tons of youth into the CB position...the only reason I'll be mad is if only McKelvin sticks to the roster.

Stewie
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
We need to get McKelvin on the field now, not in '09. Why not throw him into the fire?

His responsibilities can be lessened by the scheme. Having a cover 2 base defense helps, and he needs support from the defensive line.

feelthepain
05-13-2008, 06:40 PM
At first, I hated the drafting of 3 CBs, but the more and more I think about it...the more and more I realize Greer is decent, but he's not a starter...

If Youboty is still on the roster come regular season I will be surprised, he's proven nothing. McGee is a very average #1 CB...I think McKelvin will eventually be the one taking on the #1 WRs come '09. Will James is a question mark also...

So we have depth now, but I think drafting 3 was a little overboard, but really...the dude drafted in the late 7th (Cox is it?)...i mean...you have to be very picky to scrutinize a 7th round pick.

I think now we should be stacked at CB, so that's off the checklist. And HOPEFULLY WR will be too...We got Steve Johnson who should be a good 4th or 5th and Hardy (if he stays out of trouble)...we addressed a bunch of needs and infused tons of youth into the CB position...the only reason I'll be mad is if only McKelvin sticks to the roster.

Ummm, shouldn't someone prove something before you start checking people off lists??

SabreEleven
05-13-2008, 06:41 PM
If we invested better in a defensive line, we wouldn't have to invest so heavily on CB's.

bosshogg21
05-14-2008, 02:15 AM
actually greer shutdown t.o. and chad johnson last year.

BuffaloBillsStampede
05-14-2008, 05:24 AM
I would have been happy with greer as the starter again this year.

jamze132
05-14-2008, 07:50 AM
Well, at least we have depth at that position now... I just hope 4 of them don't suck.

Dr. Lecter
05-14-2008, 08:01 AM
If we invested better in a defensive line, we wouldn't have to invest so heavily on CB's.

Isn't that what the Bills did in the offseason???

mysticsoto
05-14-2008, 08:44 AM

Exactly. You can't really criticize the investments in the defense this offseason. 2 new DTs, an upgrade at LB, and several new CBs including the top rated one in the draft for many analysts.

You can criticize offense investment, but the defenses' teeth definitely got sharper!

SabreEleven
05-14-2008, 11:14 AM

I don't think they did enough.