PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season Report - Frank Strong

PA Season Ticket Holder
04-17-2003, 03:22 PM
The off-season may be getting shorter and shorter in the NFL, but at least 49ers linebacker Frank Strong doesn't have homework to worry about this time around.

"Last April, I was going to school, then trying to work out to make it here," Strong said. "Now that I'm here, you're working out even harder to stay. You know you have to work harder than the year before."

The undrafted rookie free agent from USC earned a place on the opening day roster in 2002 with an impressive training camp and preseason. He posted one tackle on defense and four stops on special teams before suffering a season-ending shoulder injury in New Orleans last October. Strong says being a veteran and having a familiarity with what's required in the off-season will better prepare him for his second season.

"Coming in last year, it was a new experience." Strong said. "This year, you've been around and had a taste of how to react to situations. Right now in the off-season, you enjoy it a little bit, but you've got a job now so you have to act accordingly."

Rehabbing a serious injury adds a complicated twist to off-season preparation. But Strong isn't concerned over going to training camp 100-percent healthy.

"You're never really 100-percent being an athlete," Strong explained. "That's just one of the drawbacks of being an athlete. You live and learn from that."

Instead of obsessing over health, Strong is focusing more on continuing to make an impression on the football field.

"I pretty much just want to come in and be an impact player on special teams and whenever I get my chance, on defense."

http://www.sf49ers.com/newsroom/DisplayNews.asp?newsid=1157