PDA

View Full Version : Bills management talks draft

The Spaz
04-17-2003, 03:51 PM
http://bills.theinsiders.com/2/105701.html

Bills management talks draft
By Lary Bump
Date: Apr 17, 2003

Tom Donahoe and Tom Modrak spoke with the media today, and told us exactly whom the Bills will draft.

Well, no, they didn't. But I'd like to think they left us some clues.

For example, to illustrate a point using the name of a small college, Modrak dropped the name of Bethune-Cookman. In most years, that would have no significance. But this off-season, one of the defensive backs who could be a first-day draft pick by the Bills is Bethune-Cookman's Rashean Mathis.

When asked specifically about Mathis, Modrak said, "He's a good player. He's an athlete, a good person. Is that general enough?"

In fact, neither Tom offered specific information about players unless asked about specific players.

The position where they fielded the most questions was the defensive line. Buffalo's first draft pick, 23rd overall, could be a D-lineman.

Miami's Jerome McDougle? Modrak: "He's quick on the pass rush, but won't be a liability against the run."
College teammate William Joseph? Modrak: "He gives you a push inside. When he needs to crank it up, he's good at it."

Nebraska Chris Kelsay? Modrak: "He's strong for his size, a warrior who goes hard."

Texas A&M's Ty Warren? Modrak: "He's a very athletic big man who can play inside or outside."

Ohio State's Kenny Peterson? Modrak: "He has played both tackle and end. It depends on what the defense is, and that's not a bad thing."

Donahoe did point to areas where the Bills might be seeking help with their seven draft picks. Sort of, anyway.

"Any time you look at a football team, you're always trying to add quality big people on either side of the ball. And we could still use depth in the secondary, at wide receiver and running back. There's probably not any area you could look at and say, 'This is an area there isn't a chance they would look at.'"

Anyway, we're preparing to welcome Rashean Mathis and Kenny Peterson to Buffalo.

Go Bills!

Tatonka
04-17-2003, 05:11 PM
nice write up .. thanks.

HenryRules
04-17-2003, 05:12 PM
I don't think the Bethune-Cookman comment really revealed all that much ... Mathis is the highest-profile small-school athlete this year and everyone pretty much knows who he is, so B-C would be the first small school to come to mind for most people. I listened to the conference and it wasn't like the discussion of small schools just came up out of nowhere because the Toms couldn't get Mathis out of their head. Along the same lines, I'm sure if he was asked about QBs, Palmer or Boller's name might come up, but that doesn't mean we're drafting them.

That said, I'd like to see us grab Mathis, I'm just not reading much into the comment about B-C.

TigerJ
04-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Basically this article shows that the Bills brass is aware of the same guys we fans are thinking about. We can take some comfort in knowing we're not all wildly of target, but TD and TM are too sharp to drop any real hints about where guys might be on their value board.

Tatonka
04-18-2003, 12:38 AM
you know.. it would be really nice to find a transcript of that confrence.. it is annoying as hell to not be able to hear the quetions and have to try to fill in what the hell they are talking about..

anyone know where i could find one? i had to turn it off.. i was getting irritated listening to it. giving me a headache.

WCoastFin
04-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Might wanna add this to this thread.......

Bills | Donahoe Discusses Draft Needs - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
7:15 PT: Allen Wilson, of the Buffalo News, reports Buffalo Bills team president and general manager Tom Donahoe said the team could use some depth in the secondary, at wide receiver and at running back. He said the team is probably going to look at every position and who’s available when their pick comes up during the upcoming NFL Draft