PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins may have also tried to steal signals.....

gr8slayer
05-14-2008, 04:33 PM
Retired quarterback Jay Fielder says the Dolphins tried to steal signals from the Patriots when he played. "There were times in games when we knew certain defensive calls from what we were able to gather during the game or our scouts’ eyesight," Fiedler revealed. He called knowing defensive signals "a huge advantage. If the quarterback knows what’s coming, he can dissect it at the line of scrimmage."

Palm Beach Post (http://www.palmbeachpost.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/palmbeach/miamidolphins/entries/2008/05/13/fiedler_bates_speak_on_01_dolp.html?cxntfid=blogs_inside_the_dolphins)

Goobylal
05-14-2008, 04:35 PM
Eyesight is fine. Videotape is not.

justasportsfan
05-14-2008, 04:41 PM
:dance:

justasportsfan
05-14-2008, 04:43 PM
I heard MUlarkey tried to steal signals from Jerry Gray.

MikeInRoch
05-14-2008, 04:53 PM
That's not news - Miami admitted to it right after they beat New England in Miami a few years ago.

cocamide
05-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Eyesight is fine. Videotape is not.

This is the main difference.

OpIv37
05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
during a game, it's up to each team to conceal their signals from the other team- that's why you see coaches covering their mouths. If a team is smart enough to figure it out during a game, that's their prerogative. It's not against the rules.

Using videotape to figure it out is against the rules.

I wonder how much the NFL is paying Fiedler to take pressure off the Pats by going public with this crap.

Bling
05-14-2008, 10:11 PM
Everybody does it. You think CB's can pull off 3 INT's in a game, when a good portion of starting CB's don't get 3 in a game? Sure, they may get lucky- but I think they know other team's signals.

trapezeus
05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
during a game, it's up to each team to conceal their signals from the other team- that's why you see coaches covering their mouths. If a team is smart enough to figure it out during a game, that's their prerogative. It's not against the rules.

Using videotape to figure it out is against the rules.

I wonder how much the NFL is paying Fiedler to take pressure off the Pats by going public with this crap.

probably offered him free earlobe reduction surgery.

jamze132
05-15-2008, 02:14 AM
So the Dolphins and Pats are in the same boat now? And the Jet's narked about it to begin with. I'm glad this hasn't really effected Buffalo.

For the record, I don't actually consider the Dolphins and Patriots in the same boat. The Dolphins did it the right way. But it sounds cool to say the Dolphins and Patriots both cheat and the Jets are crybabies.

Carry on...

Dujek
05-15-2008, 05:33 AM
If the other teams aren't smart enough to conceal the signals from someone standing on the other sideline that's their look-out. Nothing in the rule book says you can't watch coaches to try and steal signals, however it is illegal to use recording equipment for that purpose.

BlackMetalNinja
05-15-2008, 06:45 AM
I was sure there was going to be a punchline about them not even being able to do that right though... :sadwalk:

LifetimeBillsFan
05-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Stealing signals by eyesight may give an advantage on some calls, but videotaping gives a team a chance to make sure that it has every call and can catalog that information not only by team, but by assistant coach so that if a DC or OC moves to another organization, you then have his calls already on file for when you play that team.

There is a HUGE difference between stealing signs by eyesight and having them down on videotape. HUGE.

If Miami was able to steal the Pats' signals by eyesight, more power to them. The kind of organized videotaping and cataloging that the Pats were engaged in was something entirely different--and also against the rules.

RockStar36
05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
C'mon you guys. This isn't news. Like said earlier in the thread, the Dolphins admitted to it right after that game was over. They didn't video tape the Pats so there really isn't a problem. If they are smart enough to figure out defensive signals during the game, more power to them.

TacklingDummy
05-15-2008, 09:41 AM
It just goes to show you that stealing signals doesn't help all that much. Miami still stunk.

Pinkerton Security
05-15-2008, 10:12 AM
I heard MUlarkey tried to steal signals from Jerry Gray.

he also tried stealing signals from Tony LaRussa when they were playing in St. Louis....

seriously though, its not a big deal, our high school baseball coach made everyone on the bench watch the 3rd base coach's signals to the batter on every single pitch and whoever deciphered their code got out of running at the end of the next practice. THis is a similar situation: if they are easy enough to figure out by just looking at the guy, then who cares, im sure it happens all the time.

justasportsfan
05-15-2008, 10:15 AM
he also tried stealing signals from Tony LaRussa when they were playing in St. Louis....

seriously though, its not a big deal, .
It's a big deal when your HC is stealing signals from his own DC so the O will look better at camp when they scrimmage.

Pinkerton Security
05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
It's a big deal when your HC is stealing signals from his own DC so the O will look better at camp when they scrimmage.
oh I thought you were kidding.

What a dick. Detective that is.

justasportsfan
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
oh I thought you were kidding.
I was. :ill:

TigerJ
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Prior to this year (and the use of radio helmets for defensive players - one on the field at a time) everyone tried to steal signals, but as has been mentioned, the Patriots took that to new and illegal extremes.

Pinkerton Security
05-15-2008, 11:07 AM
I was. :ill:

oh. funny.

Historian
05-16-2008, 05:54 AM
It certainly didn't help the fish in the standings....tee hee.

:chuckle: