• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Lately Bills Are Same as the rest of NFL

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/co...ry/347271.html

Do you think it’s about time to bury the notion that the Bills have a higher standard when it comes to player character?

• Last summer, they kept Anthony Hargrove after his scuffle with police and four-game suspension for substance abuse. After the season, he was suspended for a year after another failed test.

• In March, they traded for Marcus Stroud, a former Pro Bowl defensive tackle who served a four-game suspension last season for substance abuse.

• Last month, they drafted James Hardy, a wide receiver who had been charged with assaulting his girlfriend in 2006. The charges were dropped when he agreed to a pretrial diversion program. On Sunday, Hardy allegedly confronted his father with a gun during an argument in Fort Wayne, Ind.
    No one has killed animals for sport. No one has sparked any nightclub shootings. They’re not the Bengals. But let’s stop acting as if the Bills occupy a higher moral ground than all the other NFL teams

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • raphael120
    Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
    • Oct 2005

Re: Lately Bills Are Same as the rest of NFL

Since Marv left, the focus has switched a little...

And honestly, i dont care as long as the people with character issues are minor things and dont get them arrested or something..or theyre character issues that are in the past and stay in the past...see Marshawn.

Hardy was a character risk and so far he's not giving me optimism when it's not even training camp yet and he's in the news, whether he did something or not, there was still a spotlight on him through the news. As our hopes relied a lot on Marshawn being a good soldier, as do our hopes rely on Hardy being a good soldier and not being stupid.

I dont think there is a single team in the NFL that has a group of cub scouts on their team, every team has their issues, some more than others *bungles*....

It's sad that it's like that, but when you have so many people playing in the league, youre going to have your bad eggs...but I think what is lost on most fans is that for every guy who is a complete moron and does something stupid to get themselves in trouble, there are about 30 other players doing the right thing in the community and on the field.

Comment

• Tatonka
      • Jul 2002

lets always keep high character players and never win a ****ing thing.. that sounds fun.
      "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• Johnny Bugmenot
        Will not tolerate vandalism.
        • Apr 2006

Sometimes jerks just win. See: Ray Lewis.

But Jerry and a lot of other people are taking this accusation as if it's gospel.

Comment

• The Spaz
          • Mar 2003

When we went to the Bowls we had a good mix of even keeled guys and some hot heads, Kelly, Thomas, Smith etc.

Comment

• Don't Panic
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Dec 2005

Rarely do angels win Super Bowls. That being said, you want to minimize it as much as possible. It's the old risk/reward calculus. Still, I think the Bills have done a good job at getting quality character guys, and it is your core that defines you as a team (this isn't a collection of individuals after all). Our core is strong, and it should keep off the field distractions to a minimum.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
              Roways rooking ahread!
              • Sep 2005

Originally posted by bwbrenton
              Rarely do angels win Super Bowls. That being said, you want to minimize it as much as possible. It's the old risk/reward calculus. Still, I think the Bills have done a good job at getting quality character guys, and it is your core that defines you as a team (this isn't a collection of individuals after all). Our core is strong, and it should keep off the field distractions to a minimum.
              Ray Lewis was involved in a murder and won a Superbowl all in the same year, how ironic.

Comment

• TacklingDummy
                Unreachable Douche
                • Jul 2002

Don't forget about Lynch and Losman.

Comment

• trapezeus
                  Legendary Zoner
                  • Oct 2004

fair to say cocky and arrogant is one thing, and pulling a gun on your dad is another.

also, when the bills of the 90's didn't reign in some of that cockiness, they bickered and underperformed. when they grew up and acted like men, they were winners.

Comment

• Buffatexas
                    • Aug 2002

really, what is the difference in pulling a gun and getting behind the wheel while drunk?

Comment

• yordad
                      • Dec 2007

Well, Sullivan is still a douche. Yeah, Hardy has never been convicted of one single crime but lets just cut him. I think I disagree with just about everything this dude types.
                      "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• Philagape
                        WIN NOW
                        • Jul 2002

I don't know about anyone else, but just to clarify, my concerns about character are directly related to football ... The NFL usually responds to criminal activity with suspensions, as we saw right here last year. Bad character can keep a player off the field, and a player can't help you win there.
                        "It is better to be divided by truth than to be united by error." -- Martin Luther

"Those who appease the crocodile will simply be eaten last." -- Winston Churchill

2003 BZ Pick Em Champion
                        2004 BZ Big Money League Champion

Comment

• PECKERWOOD
                          Defies all logic
                          • Oct 2006

I don't think Hardy will be a constant distraction off the field and I don't believe he will be suspended anytime soon.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by BuffaloFever
                            I don't think Hardy will be a constant distraction off the field and I don't believe he will be suspended anytime soon.
                            In all due respect, I'm sure Marvin Lewis has uttered those words dozens of times.

Sullivan, is a douche.. But he does have a good point. He's not saying the Bills are thugs.. He's saying to quit holding the Bills and their "high character" stance towards personnel to a different standard. They are just like most the teams in the league with some bad apples off the field. Which I have no problem with... You cant win on character alone. I said last year this team needs to take some chances on talented but troubled players and see what happens.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE

Comment

• DrGraves
                              • Mar 2008

it seems like the teams with the character issues excel past the bills

Comment

Working...
                              X