PDA

View Full Version : Overlooked Johnson could make impact for Bills

The Answer
05-16-2008, 12:09 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/11231

Overlooked Johnson could make impact for Bills

Friday, May 16, 2008 | Posted by Connor Byrne

Wide receiver Steve Johnson had a fantastic senior season at the University of Kentucky in 2007, piling up 60 receptions, 1,041 yards and 13 touchdowns. In the process, he emerged as the go-to guy for Wildcats quarterback Andre Woodson, who was viewed nationally as a Heisman candidate for most of the year.

Despite his prodigious campaign with Kentucky, Johnson fell all the way to the seventh round of last month's NFL draft because of his lack of physicality and explosiveness. It was in Round 7, with the 224th pick of the two-day event, that the Buffalo Bills took a flier on Johnson with the hope he'd become a viable pro down the line. On a team that isn't necessarily the league's strongest at wideout, the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Johnson will have a chance to impress over the summer, make the Bills' roster and possibly compete for playing time eventually.................

~The Answer

raphael120
05-16-2008, 12:46 PM
Puh, later in the season we'll have to cut him to get bail money for Hardy....

Jaybird
05-16-2008, 12:56 PM
my gut tells me he might turn out to be a good wr option

The last buffalo fan
05-16-2008, 01:02 PM
I think somebody stole Opi's password!

patmoran2006
05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I've been hearing A LOT OF GOOD THINGS about this kid.. I mean, raving about his ability.

I think he's making the 53-man roster as a rookie.

The Answer
05-16-2008, 03:18 PM
How ironic will it be if Hardy ends up being a bust, and Johnson emerges as the next Marques Colston?

I guess we still found our #2 receiver - just not how the front office planned it.

~The Answer

patmoran2006
05-16-2008, 03:22 PM
they're both good. hardy is a #2 and Johnson could be a solid #4.

Meathead
05-16-2008, 04:00 PM
my stomach overlooks my johnson

X-Era
05-16-2008, 04:20 PM
http://www.realfootball365.com/index.php/articles/bills/11231

Overlooked Johnson could make impact for Bills

Friday, May 16, 2008 | Posted by Connor Byrne

Wide receiver Steve Johnson had a fantastic senior season at the University of Kentucky in 2007, piling up 60 receptions, 1,041 yards and 13 touchdowns. In the process, he emerged as the go-to guy for Wildcats quarterback Andre Woodson, who was viewed nationally as a Heisman candidate for most of the year.

Despite his prodigious campaign with Kentucky, Johnson fell all the way to the seventh round of last month's NFL draft because of his lack of physicality and explosiveness. It was in Round 7, with the 224th pick of the two-day event, that the Buffalo Bills took a flier on Johnson with the hope he'd become a viable pro down the line. On a team that isn't necessarily the league's strongest at wideout, the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Johnson will have a chance to impress over the summer, make the Bills' roster and possibly compete for playing time eventually.................

~The Answer

He is my top darkhorse from this draft group.

I watched his highlights against Louisville, Florida Atlantic, and Tennessee. He makes big plays. He seems to be a very good option for short, intermmediate, and long routes. He makes the very tough grabs and seems to sneak into the open spots.

I think hes instantly serious competition to Josh Reed, and has potential to be a steal.

Hardy has to be rock solid and a bonafide #2 WR day one IMO. Johnson has to be no better than a #4 right behind Parrish. But I think he will see plenty of playing time and will play big for us.

Mahdi
05-16-2008, 04:22 PM
they're both good. hardy is a #2 and Johnson could be a solid #4.
Johnson could take over as the #3 easily by mid-season if he can show that he can block as well as Reed. As of now having Reed in the slot is a big advantage when running out of 3 wr sets.

HHURRICANE
05-16-2008, 04:47 PM
I've been hearing A LOT OF GOOD THINGS about this kid.. I mean, raving about his ability.

I think he's making the 53-man roster as a rookie.

Well considering we only have 4 WRs I wouldn't call this going out on a limb.

raphael120
05-16-2008, 04:55 PM
The girl at work wants it known that at Kentucky, they called Steve Johnson "scuba steve" and that's what he should be known as. I want him to do good things because I can easily get his autograph. Chic at work actually has his number. Small world!

raphael120
05-16-2008, 04:55 PM
my stomach overlooks my johnson

What if your Johnson is Hardy? Can you see it then?

Night Train
05-16-2008, 05:00 PM
Most married men can identify with an overlooked Johnson.

ublinkwescore
05-16-2008, 05:15 PM
Most married men can identify with an overlooked Johnson.

That one almost went over my head, I'm guessing it's an innuendo that when you're married, the misses stops giving it up.

Night Train
05-16-2008, 05:28 PM
That one almost went over my head, I'm guessing it's an innuendo that when you're married, the misses stops giving it up.

But the cash strapped college sophmore down the street never does. :D:

Meathead
05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
What if your Johnson is Hardy? Can you see it then?
naw with that size belly it kinda gets losman

i really wish i had moorman

Michael82
05-17-2008, 12:59 AM
I really like what I hear about this kid. At the very least, he's the next Sam Aiken and will be our 5th receiver this year and a STer. :up:

Oaf
05-17-2008, 01:23 AM
Nothing against Steve, but I say that Teyo Johnson can easily make a greater impact than him as a #2 TE and RZ threat.

The Spaz
05-17-2008, 05:08 PM
Nothing against Steve, but I say that Teyo Johnson can easily make a greater impact than him as a #2 TE and RZ threat.

Listen I know they both haven't proven anything in there NFL career but both Teyo and Courtney are young enough to still have a bust out year and both are 6-6 combine that with Hardy who is also 6-6 and we have plenty of "potential" RZ targets. :pray:

The Answer
05-19-2008, 10:45 AM

I watched his highlights against Louisville, Florida Atlantic, and Tennessee. He makes big plays. He seems to be a very good option for short, intermmediate, and long routes. He makes the very tough grabs and seems to sneak into the open spots.

I think hes instantly serious competition to Josh Reed, and has potential to be a steal.

Hardy has to be rock solid and a bonafide #2 WR day one IMO. Johnson has to be no better than a #4 right behind Parrish. But I think he will see plenty of playing time and will play big for us.

I agree - if he was drafted on a team that was loaded at WR position like Indy, than he likely would fall through the cracks and possibly not even make the roster.

But the situation in Buffalo is far different. Because beyond Lee Evans, everything is wide open at the WR position so Johnson will have the chance to not only make the roster, but emerge as a weapon in this offense if he can play.

~The Answer

The Answer
05-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Listen I know they both haven't proven anything in there NFL career but both Teyo and Courtney are young enough to still have a bust out year and both are 6-6 combine that with Hardy who is also 6-6 and we have plenty of "potential" RZ targets. :pray:

Agreed - these are two signings that definitely didn't garner a lot of hype when they happened.

I remember when Teyo was coming out of college a lot of people thought he would be the next Antonio Gates, or even better.

~The Answer

justasportsfan
05-19-2008, 10:50 AM
but emerge as a weapon in this offense if he can play.

~The Capt. Obvious

Michael82
11-22-2010, 12:39 PM

Great post! :bf1:

Mr. Pink
11-22-2010, 12:55 PM
How ironic will it be if Hardy ends up being a bust, and Johnson emerges as the next Marques Colston?

I guess we still found our #2 receiver - just not how the front office planned it.

~The Answer

As much as I razzed this guy and didn't like most of his posts, I have to quote this one for being 100% accurate.

Michael82
11-22-2010, 12:57 PM
As much as I razzed this guy and didn't like most of his posts, I have to quote this one for being 100% accurate.
Yeah he nailed that one!

Michael82
11-22-2010, 12:58 PM
Oh and I also found another old thread that said that both the Cowboys and Dolphins called him and were going to draft him in the 7th if the Bills didn't.

BertSquirtgum
11-22-2010, 01:04 PM

ahahahaha

PromoTheRobot
11-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Can someone find old threads saying how awesome Leinert and Clausen were going to be?

PTR

Figster
11-23-2010, 12:39 PM
The way Stevie Johnson deflects credit and praise from himself onto other teammates speaks volumes about the mans character/leadership. The way Johnson scores TD's defines what he means to the Bills.

You simply can't say enough about "TD Stevie Johnson"...